HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TV schedule wagging the dog

Old
01-28-2007, 12:16 PM
irisheyes555

vCash: 500
TV schedule wagging the dog

having reviewed the US national TV schedule it makes one wonder if the powers that be are looking at the markets rather than the teams in those markets. below is a listing of the teams total appearances(NBC/VS) in last years finish order. i give them a pass on the canadian teams as they don't really serve their markets and they have the CBC and TSN. also noticed a EC vs WC bias.

Ott -0 __________________Det - 11(4/7)
Car - 6(2/4)______________Dal - 10(4/6)
NJ - 9(3/6)_______________Cal - 0
Buff - 9(1/8)_____________Nash - 1(0/1)
Philly - 11(4/7) ___________SJ - 6(2/4)
NYR - 11(4/7)_____________Ana - 4(1/3)
Mtl - 3(0/3)______________Avs - 10(3/7)
TB - 3(1/2)_______________Edm - 0
Tor - 1(0/1)______________Van - 0
Atl - 5(2/3)_______________LA - 2(1/1)
FL - 1(0/1)_______________MN - 4(0/4)
NYI - 5(2/3)______________Phx - 1(0/1)
Bos - 12(4/8)_____________BJs - 5(2/3)
Wash - 3(1/2)_____________Chi - 8(3/5)
Pitt - 11(4/7)_____________StL - 4(1/3)

i know that the VS schedule is made before the season starts, but NBC has no excuse. based on that info you get these WTFs: Pitts x11, Bos x12, Chi x8, Philly on NBC x4(11 total), BJs x5, Stl x4 and AVs x10 compared to Nash+SJ+Ana= x11. throwing out the 6 Canadian teams(3 in each conference) you get 86 EC games vs 66 WC games. including the Canadian teams the ratio goes to 90:66. but possible the biggest slap is that the Preds are on TSN x2 and CBC x2 compared to one game(on VS). at least we have FSN, assuming you are local.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:53 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
One of the league's problems is that they are so desparate for ratings that they aren't in a position to put a team like the Predators on TV. They absolutely have to go for the bigger name teams. NBC doesn't care about growing the sport. They just want ratings. And they have all the power because the NHL has put themselves in a bad situation. So teams like Nashville aren't going to get any looks.

It has a snowballing effect. The league can't grow the markets outside of the traditional ones in this scenario. It's the reason why Nashville, when on the road, is the lowest attended team in the league. That, my friends, is sad.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

People in Nashville barely want to watch the Predators, why would people in the big TV markets? It's the ugly truth.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:15 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
People in Nashville barely want to watch the Predators, why would people in the big TV markets? It's the ugly truth.
What I find even more disturbing is that despite being one of the most exciting teams in the league and currently holding the top spot overall, does anyone honestly think that the other markets around the league even care about Nashville? I know we say "why would anyone watch us if we don't watch ourselves," but doesn't it show the pathetic state of hockey when the incredibly strong markets don’t want to watch what might be the best team in the league? When we get together against the Sabres or Ducks head-to-head, Canadian and Northern marketplaces probably won't care. And they probably won't tune in to watch.

Until hockey fans, on the whole, start watching hockey teams not of direct concern to them (i.e. not their hometown team, biggest rivals), the NHL is going to have terrible ratings. I don't know how the NFL did it, but that's their biggest feat. When the Colts and Pats get together for an MNF game, the country cares, not just the individual cities each team represents. Hockey needs that. Canadian fans only seem to be really interested in Canadian teams. And American hockey fans only seem to care about their hometown teams.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:20 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
What I find even more disturbing is that despite being one of the most exciting teams in the league and currently holding the top spot overall, does anyone honestly think that the other markets around the league even care about Nashville? I know we say "why would anyone watch us if we don't watch ourselves," but doesn't it show the pathetic state of hockey when the incredibly strong markets don’t want to watch what might be the best team in the league? When we get together against the Sabres or Ducks head-to-head, Canadian and Northern marketplaces probably won't care. And they probably won't tune in to watch.

Until hockey fans, on the whole, start watching hockey teams not of direct concern to them (i.e. not their hometown team, biggest rivals), the NHL is going to have terrible ratings. I don't know how the NFL did it, but that's their biggest feat. When the Colts and Pats get together for an MNF game, the country cares, not just the individual cities. Hockey needs that.

It's because football is America's sport. There are tons of hockey fans in the US, but most of them are fans of THEIR team, and it mostly ends there. With football..it's like...an American institution. It doesnt' matter who plays in the Super Bowl, it could be the Chiefs and the Seahawks...and it would still be on most of the TVs in the country. People love the BIG GAME, no matter who is in it. Hockey will never, ever have that. The Stanley Cup Finals, game seven...it's still going to lose in ratings to "The View." We actually get shown nationally in Canada quite a bit...and not always playing a Canadian team...but i would hazard to say that outside Nashville, there are more fans of the Predators..by far...in Canada than anywhere in the US.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
It's because football is America's sport. There are tons of hockey fans in the US, but most of them are fans of THEIR team, and it mostly ends there. With football..it's like...an American institution. It doesnt' matter who plays in the Super Bowl, it could be the Chiefs and the Seahawks...and it would still be on most of the TVs in the country. People love the BIG GAME, no matter who is in it. Hockey will never, ever have that. The Stanley Cup Finals, game seven...it's still going to lose in ratings to "The View." We actually get shown nationally in Canada quite a bit...and not always playing a Canadian team...but i would hazard to say that outside Nashville, there are more fans of the Predators..by far...in Canada than anywhere in the US.
The truth hurts more than you know, I hate you.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:04 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Don't you think that some of the NFL's success is the alignment of the conferences/divisions. Instead of separating the conferences along the original colonial line why not have 2 conferences that spread across the continent? There are other reasons to do this like equal travel concerns and better regional matchups. But I do think that a better cross-sectional interest would grow out of a different alignment.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:50 PM
AdsSabresRule

Yeah...

Quote:
...your right. But, I think you guys have a good fan base, but the larger, TN - wide market, i.e. business, etc. is just not there...Like, I know that your town is crazy for anything VOLS related. It's just that way. Buffalo is ALL about the Bills and the Sabres, all the time. The trouble is that when the teams stunk, we even had problems selling tix - not that everyone in town wasn't watching all the games on t.v. Now that we are a bit successful, we sold 14,000 season tix. I guys the issue is, the Preds are the most successful team in the NHL, but the tix sales are not what you want them to be, then, the t.v. coverage won't be there, even if your a great team...viscious cycle I guess. FWIW.

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote