HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Captain Smith or Captain Smyth?

View Poll Results: Should Jason Smith be stripped of his captaincy so Ryan Smyth can take over?
Jason Smith remains captain 55 46.61%
Ryan Smyth becomes captain 63 53.39%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-28-2007, 02:23 PM
shawnmullin

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Captain Smith or Captain Smyth?

Terry Jones wrote in his article today that when/if Smyth signs his new deal he could be named captain of the Oilers.

I maintain that as long as Jason Smith is in the organization he is the captain. He was the captain with Pronger, Peca and others here. He was the captain during a run to the finals. He is the captain and taking it away is an undue insult and spit in the face of a guy who has worked hard for this franchise over the years.

Nobody questions Smyth's place here. If Smith were gone, than obviously Smyth would be the best choice.

Confusing yet?

But it's my view that you shouldn't pull a Dallas here. Smyth can be a leader without the C as long as we have Gator on the back end.

What do you guys think?

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:25 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
Terry Jones wrote in his article today that when/if Smyth signs his new deal he could be named captain of the Oilers.

I maintain that as long as Jason Smith is in the organization he is the captain. He was the captain with Pronger, Peca and others here. He was the captain during a run to the finals. He is the captain and taking it away is an undue insult and spit in the face of a guy who has worked hard for this franchise over the years.

Nobody questions Smyth's place here. If Smith were gone, than obviously Smyth would be the best choice.

Confusing yet?

But it's my view that you shouldn't pull a Dallas here. Smyth can be a leader without the C as long as we have Gator on the back end.

What do you guys think?
You don't strip your C. Ever. You either trade him, let him walk or he gives up it up of his own free will.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:30 PM
goggog

I don't think a letter sewn onto your sweater really makes a difference. They'll both show as much heart, determination, and grit with or without the C

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:46 PM
metallicat

Why take it away now? Smith is the Captain until he is no longer here. Ryan may be a better leader, but that's besides the point at this stage.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:59 PM
philthy mcnasty*

That's why you trade Jason Smith and take anything you can get for him back.

Give Smitty the "C", it's a joke that he isn't. No one else on this team leads better by example, and no one is better vocally, both on and off the ice. Gives 110% on every shift, and is the heart and soul of this team, has been for years.

He wants to win a championship here and retire here, be our Stevey Y. Who else shows that kind of loyalty, honour and respect to the Oilers organization, ever?

Yea, I understand, you can't strip Gator of the "C" now, it would be unconstitutional, blah blah blah. I don't know what to do with that situation but it's quite clear he isn't our real captain anymore, and it's all but a hoax that Smitty isn't.

And to those who think that a letter doesn't make that big of a difference, I'm not so sure about this one... slappin that letter on the chest makes it all the more official. It's a constant reminder of the extra tasks you're expected to handle, it's part of team history, it's a letter they give to the most qualified player on the team. All the players are expected to play hard, but the "C" defines you in your leadership role. Smitty is our clear leader, not Jason Smith.

Last edited by philthy mcnasty*: 01-28-2007 at 03:05 PM.
philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Danglefish

I think Ryan Smyth should definately have the C, but I don't agree with stripping it from Jason Smith. So ya, like others say, either Smith leaves, or just gives it up on his own.

Danglefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
You don't strip your C. Ever. You either trade him, let him walk or he gives up it up of his own free will.
100% agree. They strip Smith, they might as well include him in the next trade Lowe makes.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:03 PM
rigger

I think Smyth will be captain soon, but Lowe and Mac T know what a players honour means to them and they will trade Smith.

I have no reason to believe this, it hasnt been romoured or anything, just a gut instinct.

And I think Nashville might be calling for him.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:15 PM
shawnmullin

How much sense does trading Smith make? It's nuts at this point. We need MORE Smiths right now not less.

Old
01-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Bring Back Smyth

Wearing the C on your chest doesn't enable you to have super leadership powers. If you are a leader in the dressing room then you are a leader, you don't need a stinkin' letter on your chest to tell you that you and your teammates that you are a leader.

People talking about stripping Gator of the captaincy need to think of the reprecussions it would have.

Bring Back Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
How much sense does trading Smith make? It's nuts at this point. We need MORE Smiths right now not less.
Which is why Smith will remain captain. The Oilers need defense, Smith is signed for next season and I think he's taking alot of heat this season for no reason.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Jamie

Hmm, those who were vocal about it for the most part are pro Smith, but yet the poll results are close.

I agree with the overwhelming senitment here, keep Smith as our Captain. Plain and simple. Many reasons have been stated, and Smyth, the class act he was, isn't the type of guy that would even want to take it from Smith. Ryan's got a ton of respect for Jason and wouldn't want it that way. Smith is huge to this team. Add Moreau and Staios to the mix and we certainly have one of, if not, the best leadership of any team in the league. Stoll, Reasoner, Horcoff, Pisani and hell, even Hemsky bring additional leadership. Guy's like JFJ, MAP and Stortini likely will in the future. It's a nice advantage we have over other teams, why chip it apart.

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:20 PM
shawnmullin

seems like the pro-stripping crowd can't defend themselves

Old
01-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Spawn

Smyth wont suddenly become a better leader with the C, players in the locker room wont respect him more, or listen to him more, there is no good reason of giving Smyth the C. Taking it away from Smith on the otherhand could be bad, it could cause a rift in the dressing room, some players thinking a that you can't strip Smith with no reason other than to give it to Smyth. I don't see the point

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglefish View Post
I think Ryan Smyth should definately have the C, but I don't agree with stripping it from Jason Smith. So ya, like others say, either Smith leaves, or just gives it up on his own.
Exactly, the worst thing you could do IMO is change give the C to Smyth immediately after he (if) signs his extension. Either Smith gives it up or leaves via free agency or Smyth remains wiht the A

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:12 PM
The Polak*

Looking at our cap situation, and with staios getting paid 2.8 and 2.2 as a 34/35 year old, Smith will likely be looking for a raise, and I don't see us giving it. He leaves via free agency, smyth gets the C.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:42 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
If Smith ever left i could see Smyth, Moreau or even Stoll Captaining the team......maybe not Stoll yet, but he is 4 sure a future Captain.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:55 PM
guzzy

I don't think I am alone in saying that Moreau should be the next captain. This team has not been the same since he went down. I haven't seen Smyth or Smith leading this team through its recent struggles. This team, IMO, leans more on Staios and Moreau than they do on Smyth and Smith. I think it is safe to say that Smith is on his way out if Lowe and MacT offered Smyth the captaincy with the new contract.

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Bryanbryoil

Deal Smith, him being the Captain has been the biggest constant with this team through the mediocrity out-side of Mac-T and his cronies. Lowe won't fire Mac-T, so deal Smith away now while he still has some value around the league. How about Smith + for Sourray or Stuart??? At least those teams would get 1-1/2 seasons of a d-man + for their UFA's to be.

01-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
I don't think I am alone in saying that Moreau should be the next captain. This team has not been the same since he went down. I haven't seen Smyth or Smith leading this team through its recent struggles. This team, IMO, leans more on Staios and Moreau than they do on Smyth and Smith. I think it is safe to say that Smith is on his way out if Lowe and MacT offered Smyth the captaincy with the new contract.
I hate to agree witha Flames fan but IMO I think that you're right. IMO adding the C to Smyth's fat contract would give him a ton of pressure. Ethan should be our next C, but he can't be our C with-out going out there and playing.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Oil

Send a message via AIM to Oil Send a message via MSN to Oil Send a message via Yahoo to Oil
Ryan Smith is the real captain of this team.

Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

I've got no concrete evidence of this other than an on-ice altercation these two had during training camp a few years ago that was open to the public, but I've always wondered if there's a level of friction between Smith and Smyth.

If Smyth gets the 'C' down the line, you can be sure it's because Smith has moved on. It'd be very unlikely to have the letter taken off of Smith's jersey and still have him around as an Oiler.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:23 AM
Sorting this mess

The question some need to ask themselves is, 'Is Smyth a FAR BETTER leader than Jason Smith?' because that's what it would take for such a thing to happen. and the whole team would have to be tunning Smith out and following Smyth.

The answer is that we don't know who the players follow and my observations tell me that it's Smith who is the far better Captain. All we know is that Smyth produces more pionts, they both hustle, are both the best at what they do and both have weaknesses to thier game.

Such a move would have reprocussions to the team and the image of the franchise around the league.

Sorting this mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:32 AM
Sorting this mess

Can't neglect to mention some of the teams that would be showing more patience and class than we would if we did such a dumb thing.

Atlanta Thrashers: Scott Mellanby
Chicago Blackhawks: Adrian Aucoin
Los Angeles Kings: Mattias Norstrom
Nashville Predators: Kimmo Timonen
Pittsburgh Penguins:....................
San Jose Sharks: Patrick Marleau
St. Louis Blues: Dallas Drake
Tampa Bay Lightning: Tim Taylor
Washington Capitals: Chris Clark

With each of these teams any fool could look at the lineup and name someone that is a better piont producter, hustles every night, face of the franchise, has been around longer, will be around longer, has more hair, etc.
One of the most obvious to me would be Tim Taylor in Tampa Bay.

Ethan Moreau should be Captain before Ryan Smyth and Most importantly after Jason Smith.

Sorting this mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:12 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Deal Smith, him being the Captain has been the biggest constant with this team through the mediocrity out-side of Mac-T and his cronies. Lowe won't fire Mac-T, so deal Smith away now while he still has some value around the league. How about Smith + for Sourray or Stuart??? At least those teams would get 1-1/2 seasons of a d-man + for their UFA's to be.
Steve Yzerman was the Captain of the Red Wings through their period of mediocrity as well.

You could just as easily say that Ryan Smyth being on the team is the biggest constant with this team through the medicority, given he's been here the longest.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote