Old
01-28-2007, 05:05 PM
bwunderlich

vCash: 500
What's JJ's Take on this "Product" ???

he must be pissed!

* he's spending to the max.
* attendance is way down.
* possibly the most pervasive lack of effort of any bruins team ever.
* clear philosophical differences between new coach and new GM (chia preached all summer; an uptempo attacking team; lewis is trapping from the 20:00 minute mark of the 1st).
* every player sans savard and thomas are underachieving.

last year at this time, a(n) (on paper) clearly inferior team compared to this current incarnation was gelling and outworking their opponents on a nightly basis and thomas was standing on his head. they were creaping towards a playoff spot. frankly, i MISS last years team.

my goodness even DKH, our resident guru of the glass is always 1/2 full is completely indifferent and calls this team "vanilla."

-maybe JJ gives chia and lewis a bye on this season, but i tell ya, if it was my 44+ million that was shelled out for this product, i'd be on the Batphone every minute screaming at both of them.

chia can be as patient as he wants to evaluate his assets. but from where i sit, assets are being mismanaged to a staggering degree. we are beyond the point of assessment of the current roster. we need to look at the future down on the farm.

i know many will say this is chia's first year and he's rebuilding but every aspect of this team except the center position (well PP is good) is a huge question mark. again, putting myself in JJ's shoes, do i really have faith that my GM and coach have the same vision and can fix this trainwreck?

bwunderlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

it depends on what the bottom line is. sure they are spending to the "max" in the cap era but a few years ago they were spending even more and got no where

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Don Cherry*

Unless several thousand Ranger fans show up tomorrow night I'm expecting a crowd of under 10,000. (Of course they always pad the attendance figures for some reason)

Sooner or later JJ is going to notice that Bruins fans don't like passive, turn-the-other-cheek hockey. I hope more and more fans stay home until JJ fires both Chiahead and Mr Electricity in one swoop.

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 06:50 PM
pblc

The Jacobs' have been surprisingly quiet considering the fortunes of the team so far this year. I know last season they pledged to be more "hands off" but considering the current situation I thought they'd be more vocal.

pblc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Blowfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
Unless several thousand Ranger fans show up tomorrow night I'm expecting a crowd of under 10,000. (Of course they always pad the attendance figures for some reason)

Sooner or later JJ is going to notice that Bruins fans don't like passive, turn-the-other-cheek hockey. I hope more and more fans stay home until JJ fires both Chiahead and Mr Electricity in one swoop.
21 17,565
22 13,529
23 15,585
24 16,468
25 17,565

Attendance last 4 games. Should be interesting to see what happens tomorrow night.

Blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Neely08

Quote:
-maybe JJ gives chia and lewis a bye on this season, but i tell ya, if it was my 44+ million that was shelled out for this product, i'd be on the Batphone every minute screaming at both of them.
This is exactly why we ended up where we are in the first place. My take on things last year was that, it was JJ telling MOC to let Rolston, Nylander, and Knuble go. Also, no way MOC makes the deals he made last season w/o a nod from upstairs.

He's reaping the whirlwind of running his suck, when he should have listened. Hopefully he gives PC a chance to do his job.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:22 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwunderlich View Post
We know that he was on the batphone every morning with MOC last year, at least according to him.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:32 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
he should stay relatively quiet considering his actions in preparation for the lockout were a great setback for this team. Granted he had poor talent evaluation in the free agent market (zhamnov and leetch @ 4 million each, a case where it was partly a lack of players available and partly MOC's incompetence) We could debate forever whether or not the 04 Bruins could have been successful in the new NHL if they hadn't been torn apart, but when you tear apart a team like JJ did it doesn't get rebuilt overnight so he has little choice, but to be patient.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:41 PM
BostonPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
This is exactly why we ended up where we are in the first place. My take on things last year was that, it was JJ telling MOC to let Rolston, Nylander, and Knuble go. Also, no way MOC makes the deals he made last season w/o a nod from upstairs.

He's reaping the whirlwind of running his suck, when he should have listened. Hopefully he gives PC a chance to do his job.
Ah, but will he admit his mistake or blame the players association for the roll-back that screwed up his master plan? One silver lining in all of this is if they didn't get rid of all those players, the Bruins may not have signed Zhamnov.

BostonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:44 PM
DarrenBanks56

Ill be there tomorrow. Say what you want, but its a big game. We are only 4 pts behind the rags with 2 in hand.
I would like to see kessel on the savard line tomorrow instead of PJ though. I could tell savard was getting a little testy with PJs lack of offense in the game on sat

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:48 PM
BostonPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 View Post
Ill be there tomorrow. Say what you want, but its a big game. We are only 4 pts behind the rags with 2 in hand.
I would like to see kessel on the savard line tomorrow instead of PJ though. I could tell savard was getting a little testy with PJs lack of offense in the game on sat
I am not giving up on the team but am frustrated with the results lately.

I do agree that the games are big.... all of them

Hopefully these guys turn it around and fast....but I am not going to hold my breath based on what I have witnessed over the last few weeks.

Lets go Chia and coaches.....turn these guys around !!!

BostonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:57 AM
disfigured

Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
He looks at the receipts and the bottom line. He could care less if the Bruins were widgets in a Economics 101 class.

Here's a man who has everything in life, has achieved financial success, business respect from his peers, and personal accumulation of nice things.

What a fool this man is not to attempt to endear himself to community in which his team resides. Endear himself to everyone by doing everything possible to bring a winning team to Boston again.

He has everything in life, and could achieve a form of immortality similar to the Yawkys and of course Bob Kraft, who will be mentioned in the same breath.

If he doesn't understand the value above the dollars and cents that is involved in this endeavor I feel sad for him.

disfigured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:15 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post

Bruins fans are tired of the mediocrity on the ice, period. When the team doesn't show up and fire 3 shots in one period; they embarass themselves and disrespect the fans. Losing is one thing; losing without trying is another one. There was too many pathetic performances this year...

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:38 AM
McMahonCHN

Notice that Jacobs is a lot quieter this season?

I think he is leaving the Hockey Operations to the Hockey Operations people. Sinden was his right-hand man in terms of the team, and he is no longer there.

There is a completely different managment structure compared to last season.

McMahonCHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:44 AM
TripleOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post
He looks at the receipts and the bottom line. He could care less if the Bruins were widgets in a Economics 101 class.

Here's a man who has everything in life, has achieved financial success, business respect from his peers, and personal accumulation of nice things.

What a fool this man is not to attempt to endear himself to community in which his team resides. Endear himself to everyone by doing everything possible to bring a winning team to Boston again.

He has everything in life, and could achieve a form of immortality similar to the Yawkys and of course Bob Kraft, who will be mentioned in the same breath.

If he doesn't understand the value above the dollars and cents that is involved in this endeavor I feel sad for him.
Nicely written. JJ lack of understanding or caring for what faithful fans are going through year after year in supporting a team that always comes up short is painful. This has been going on for far too long and is agonizing to observe. If he really cared he would give up the reins to a passionate hands-on overseer (perhaps CJ truly cares) or sell to a local hands-on owner.

This team can't also be making short-term trades by putting band-aids over big problems or getting rid of players that say or might say something mildly pessimistic in view how ownership portrays its motivation but instead put in place a serious two or three plan in revamping this team by investing with young promising players with a core of Kessel, Toivonen, Alberts, Jurcina, Boyes, Bergeron and Savard. Bottom line is a team needs to mold its team’s talent and chemistry.

Many other teams like Buffalo and Pittsburgh rebuilt so can the B's, I'm sure the fans would understand and appreciate a serious long-term effort in re-building for the future and hopefully the cup. Rewards are a result of hard work and preparation.

TripleOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Thor Savage

I don't know how Jacobs could be happy

Maxed out salary cap. New coach. New GM. Same results as last year, if not worse. The Bruins are inconsistent and a bad product to consumers.

Thor Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:05 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Savage View Post
Maxed out salary cap. New coach. New GM. Same results as last year, if not worse. The Bruins are inconsistent and a bad product to consumers.
How is this team even close to worse than last season's?

Personally I'm betting PC sold JJ on the idea of a 2-4 year plan with chances to squeak in to the playoffs each season. There's just no way he could have made any greater promise considering the talent issues on this team. Therefore I'm betting things are right on track. Sure there may be some entertainment issues, but this team is .500. When you look at the goalie, the #5 and #6 D-men and the offensive depth, is there any reason they should be above that?

Oh and of course, as an aside I couldn't care less what JJ thinks since as a fan, I know he couldn't care less what I think. That couldn't be more obvious.

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:09 AM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post

I don't think JJ had any say whether the B's tried to keep Rolston, Nylander, or Knuble. He doesn't get involved in personnel, only dollars. JJ only cares about dollars and cents. As long as tickets are sold and concessions are moving, he couldn't care less if the B's are in first or last.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:12 AM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post

It is a foolish notion to think Jacobs cares about being endeared by the community. Why should he care? He doesn't live here. The only reason he was more accessible last season was because he thought if he made it look like he cared about the team that people would have forgot about 3 decades of absentee ownership and bought some tickets.

Remember, this is a guy who recently was inducted into the Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:18 AM
FONZIE
SPEPATLABFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwunderlich View Post

last year at this time, a(n) (on paper) clearly inferior team compared to this current incarnation was gelling and outworking their opponents on a nightly basis and thomas was standing on his head. they were creaping towards a playoff spot. frankly, i MISS last years team.
OMG

Please tell me you are joking??

FONZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:21 AM
8baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
it depends on what the bottom line is. sure they are spending to the "max" in the cap era but a few years ago they were spending even more and got no where
Bruins were guilty of getting rid of good players for years because they were so cheap.You must have just started watching this team,How else could you justify saying that.Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jacobs is cheap akate.It just appears he is spending.But really he is still saving money.This whole organization should be ashamed.

8baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:31 AM
RupBoysDad
@Rupboysdad

I am not really sure where all these expectations are coming from. They are by no means a worse team than they were last year. They maybe a more disappointing team, or a more underachieving team than last year, but not worse. This team, going into the season, was targeted to most to be a team around .500 and competing for a bottom play off spot, which it right where they are. I know that is not really acceptable for most of you, but that's the reality of what they have. They have the potential to be a much better team, but for one reason or another they can not put that together on a consistent basis (I am not going to beat the dead horse here). Is JJ happy about this, honestly, as long as the money rolls in I don't think he really cares. This was also brought up last year. I think the one that cares is Chiarelli. My wonder is what he truely thinks of the job the coaching staff is doing.

And why would they fire Chiarelli? He is trying to rebuild a franchise, it ain't gonna happen over night.

RupBoysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:37 AM
bp13

The lack of patience shown by fans this season has been nothing short of shocking to me. I mean JJ finally pulls his head out of his arse several years too late and cans the Gruesome Twosome, and one half-season later, with the new GM's two signings performing fairly well for their money, and we're all up in arms about yearning for last season's Sully Squad. That team was as lackluster and wimpy as this season's if not more, and it had far less top-level talent.

Be thankful we have a GM who is at least not guaranteed to screw up. Be thankful we have a salary cap which takes our terrible owner's influence out of the equation. Let's just give players like Toivinen, Kessel, Stuart, Alberts, Lashoff and Rask some time to develop and see where we are in the next 2-3 years. Until then we can ask for a little more fire and a more entertaining product, but we certainly can't ask for much more than a .500 record. This is .500 talent.

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:47 AM
RupBoysDad
@Rupboysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
The lack of patience shown by fans this season has been nothing short of shocking to me. I mean JJ finally pulls his head out of his arse several years too late and cans the Gruesome Twosome, and one half-season later, with the new GM's two signings performing fairly well for their money, and we're all up in arms about yearning for last season's Sully Squad. That team was as lackluster and wimpy as this season's if not more, and it had far less top-level talent.

Be thankful we have a GM who is at least not guaranteed to screw up. Be thankful we have a salary cap which takes our terrible owner's influence out of the equation. Let's just give players like Toivinen, Kessel, Stuart, Alberts, Lashoff and Rask some time to develop and see where we are in the next 2-3 years. Until then we can ask for a little more fire and a more entertaining product, but we certainly can't ask for much more than a .500 record. This is .500 talent.
Don't say the signings are performing fairly well.....we all know (note sarcasm) that Chara is horrible because he doesn't hit like last year. He only has more responsibility and doesn't have Redden, Corvo and Meszaros to play with on D.

I agree, although I do have to hold the coaching staff more responsible for the lackluster play and not having an entertaining product on the ice. That is the one thing that the upper management should be addressign first, and that might be happening behind closed doors....we don't know. I would bet there isn't too much of it though just by looking at the ice time.

RupBoysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa13 View Post
I don't think JJ had any say whether the B's tried to keep Rolston, Nylander, or Knuble. He doesn't get involved in personnel, only dollars. JJ only cares about dollars and cents. As long as tickets are sold and concessions are moving, he couldn't care less if the B's are in first or last.
Well, all three of those guys needed to be signed. Instead they were allowed to walk under the notion they could fry bigger fish. I read an article somewhere last year that hinted MOC couldn't scratch his nose w/o input from upstairs, or someone screaming at him on his cell when things went bad. Is it true, I honestly don't know. But some things just don't jive from a hockey point of view, and as you say JJ is not a hockey guy.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote