HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roloson Issue Perhaps?

Old
01-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Shaynsaw

vCash: 500
It took me a while. But as the year went on I went from annoyed at his little antics to absolutely hating Dwayne Roloson. JUST SHUT UP AND STOP THE PUCK.

I have to admit I am envious of Calgary and Vancouver; they have in my opinion 2 of the top 3 goalies in the NHL. And what do those goalies do, THEY SHUT UP AND STOP THE PUCK.

What Roloson does is so un-Oilers it makes me sick. Take a lesson from Smyth, the player is tattooed Oiler for life. Take you licking and do your job. SHUT UP AND STOP THE PUCK.

And one more side note Mr. Roloson. Shave that mullet, we save those for the classy players.

Shaynsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I would blame part of Roli's poor play because of our dumb coach. Rolosn is 37 years old, that is getting pretty old for a goaltender who hasn't accomplished much in his career. Yes I will say he is a solid goalie, but one that can only handle about 55 games a year and no more. Right now he has played in every damn game but 5. Markannen needs to play more hockey, he has proven he can do it just give him more time. Honestly I can see our goalie tandem being as good as the Buffalo tandem as long as the playing time gets more evenly spread out. But that is up to our coach.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Roloson is the type of guy you love to have on your team and you hate when he is on the other team. When he throws his stick it is out of frustration at the situation not at individual players. He is the kind of intimidating type you like to play in front of because of all his veteran moves. He kind of reminds me of a big brother type back there that will do whatever it takes to stick up for his team and win games.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Ibrahim300*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Interesting post.

Roloson definitely is a whiner. Whether its the refs or his defenseman, it's never his fault.

Whether that translates into the defense playing better is a hard connection to make. But I'm sure they appreciate Jussi's honest hard work every now and than more than Roli's stick-tossing act, which is getting tiresome.
how about green and smid or roy?that can just shatter thier confiedence when he stares them down or throws his stick master

Ibrahim300* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 03:01 PM
ClosetOilersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
Well that's just not true. I've seen/heard him put the blame on himself in the media many, many times.

From those with connections to the locker room, I've heard nothing but positive things about Roloson's leadership. I really can't see this issue actually occurring.
I thought the same thing. I've heard him be hard on himself so often. If/when he calls out a player, they deserve it - being called on a bonehead move isn't intimidating, it's normal. I'm trying to think where else in life you can do something really bad and not get blamed for it. Sometimes people talk of athletes like they're 4 year olds.... "we wouldn't want to hurt their confidence with logical & rational criticism"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Are you nuts? Roloson is the first to blame himself for a poor game. Almost to a fault.

The first thing I noticed about him when we acquired him is that he downplays good performances, and accepted responsibility for not making saves when the team needed him to.
I thought the same thing. I thought it was great the way he handles the media and gives decent feedback. If he never blamed himself it would be different... but I'd have no problem with a guy ever placing some blame on me if he does it to himself as well. That's just honesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorting this mess View Post
I'd be a little afraid of Roli on the ice after seeing up close what he did to Nash.
I also remember one specific time when Roli SNAPPED on Ladi Smid when he tried to hand him his stick.
You're projecting how you, a fan, would feel. We're talking about professional athletes. I hope everyone on this team can deal with someone being angry, pulling vetern moves, etc. I've had professors yell at me for handing in sloppy work because they knew I should be top of the class - do I run away crying and perform worse? No. Anyone who's good at what they do have pride and work harder to meet expectations.

If our D are that soft mentally, lets trade them - they're in the wrong business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan#2 View Post
how about green and smid or roy?that can just shatter thier confiedence when he stares them down or throws his stick master
Sometimes I wonder if you are OntOilFan with two accounts. You say the same stuff and always agree, it's quite weird... really.

Have you ever played competitive sports at a high level? I used to catch in baseball, and much like the goalie in hockey, your job is to be the coach on the field or ice. When a player ****ed up, you called them on it and you gave constructive feedback; much like Roloson did. Likewise, when I ****ed up, I called my self on it.

and yes, when players blew easy plays or made house league mistakes, I tossed my helmet or glove is disgust. It's part of having passion and intensity. If you can't handle that, again, you're too soft to play even competitively, let alone professionally.

It's amazing how when we win intensity is great but when we lose, it's immature antics that are harmful. When you're intense, you get angry, you get upset, you get euphoric - it's because you care.
Patrick Roy had a pretty hot temper on him too - perhaps he was a bad goaltender too? ....

ClosetOilersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 07:23 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaynsaw View Post
It took me a while. But as the year went on I went from annoyed at his little antics to absolutely hating Dwayne Roloson. JUST SHUT UP AND STOP THE PUCK.

I have to admit I am envious of Calgary and Vancouver; they have in my opinion 2 of the top 3 goalies in the NHL. And what do those goalies do, THEY SHUT UP AND STOP THE PUCK.

What Roloson does is so un-Oilers it makes me sick. Take a lesson from Smyth, the player is tattooed Oiler for life. Take you licking and do your job. SHUT UP AND STOP THE PUCK.

And one more side note Mr. Roloson. Shave that mullet, we save those for the classy players.
Wow that is all I have to say, shut up and stop the puck - seems he is stopping the puck so how about you open your eyes. Tell me something what the hell is wrong with showing emotion ? hmm seems that Roy and Belfour did it and guess what THEY ARE WINNERS. I would rather have a guy like Roloson who does not accept losing than Tommy Salo (who I did defend many many times) who seemed to accept his fate. Added to that how the hell does he not show class - there are many times where he could have told it like it is and said my defense can't tell their ___ from the hole in the net that the forward who just scored blew through, but he has not he blames himself, but yeah that is not classy.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 07:27 PM
gr8haluschak

With the talk about perhaps Smid being intimidated how come no one has yet pointed out where Roloson took Greene aside and they watched videos from the game a few weeks back (the story was told on HNIC), and since then Greene has been a better player.

Old
01-30-2007, 01:04 AM
alanschu

Because that video session involved excruciating torture and belittlements towards Greene.

No doubt Greene couldn't wait to get out of there to avoid the verbal and physical abuse he was taking from Roloson.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:12 AM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Because that video session involved excruciating torture and belittlements towards Greene.

No doubt Greene couldn't wait to get out of there to avoid the verbal and physical abuse he was taking from Roloson.
what the hell are you talking about, really do you ever have anything to add or are you that hard up for attention that you just spout off anything

Old
01-30-2007, 11:30 AM
hfboardsuser

Someone needs to plug in his sarcasm detector at night. It's a little chilly still and doesn't warm up as fast it should.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote