HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sportsnet Ticker

Old
01-29-2007, 12:17 AM
stoll_16

vCash: 500
Sportsnet Ticker

Just saw on the Sportsnet ticker that Ryan Smyth has been offered a 7 year contract worth 5 million a year. Then it said that is expected that Smyth will be named Captain of the Oilers

stoll_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:23 AM
OilersOwn

Send a message via MSN to OilersOwn
Maybe smith is on his way out?
I hope its not 7 year, i would prefer a 5 year deal, but hey anything to keep him in oil silks.

OilersOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:30 AM
OntOilFan

7 years? Um. I hope not.

$5 million for a 37 year old Ryan Smyth? Yikes.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Ya, I too think this might be the end of Smith.

I wouldn't be upset, as I really do believe that Smith has a lot of value around the league and that we could get a better return then what he brings to the team.

Great player once, and still a solid #4/5 but the game is just to fast for him now, and hopefully we can get a good return for him before every other team realizes it.

As for the contract 7 years is a lot. I am not a huge fan of that deal. 7 at 4.5 would make me happy but is he really going to be a 5 mill player when he is close to 36/37? Hard to say, but I do have my thoughts.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Cerebral

I'm guessing you just saw the tail-end of the ticker that said something like "Smyth has been offered a 3 to 7 year contract worth around $5 million a season."

01-29-2007, 12:35 AM
The Polak*

Elias is making 5 million per year as a 36/37 year old (with a 6 million cap hit), and realistically you can't use the argument of "I think you're gonna suck later on so I want you to take a paycut" in negotiations. I would be happy with this deal personally.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:37 AM
OntOilFan

Just saw the ticker.

Mine said "up to 6 years." No mention of him becoming captain.

What were you watching?

Old
01-29-2007, 12:40 AM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoll_16 View Post
Just saw on the Sportsnet ticker that Ryan Smyth has been offered a 7 year contract worth 5 million a year. Then it said that is expected that Smyth will be named Captain of the Oilers
That was really on the ticker? Anyone else see this? If it's true, something's up.

And I highly doubt Smyth would be making $5million EACH season. Maybe for the first 3, if he were to sign a 7-year deal.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:41 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer81383 View Post
That was really on the ticker? Anyone else see this? If it's true, something's up.

And I highly doubt Smyth would be making $5million EACH season. Maybe for the first 3, if he were to sign a 7-year deal.
It's not true.

Old
01-29-2007, 12:44 AM
PanniniClaus

What GM is going to sign anyone to a seven year deal these days? Anyone with seven guaranteed good years left is not signing for seven years as the contract may be bad for the player by the end of it.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:45 AM
The Polak*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
What GM is going to sign anyone to a seven year deal these days? Anyone with seven guaranteed good years left is not signing for seven years as the contract may be bad for the player by the end of it.
Elias.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:45 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Garth Snow.

Old
01-29-2007, 12:49 AM
Gusher

Quote:
New York Islanders - DiPietro

The two signed a 15-year contract.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:51 AM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer81383 View Post
New York Islanders - DiPietro

The two signed a 15-year contract.
That monstrosity does not count.

Old
01-29-2007, 12:55 AM
SkiAmigo

Quote:
That monstrosity does not count.
that was an abortion, I hope the Smytty stuff is true though, he's the kind of guy you do big sick deals with.

SkiAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:56 AM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polak View Post
Elias.
Borderline. Lou taking a huge risk on this. 30 years of age , what does 37 look like? Ryan Smyth is near 31. What will be left of someone with as many miles on the body as he has by age 38.

Old
01-29-2007, 01:01 AM
DL44

vCash: 105
i can confirm the Captaincy thing flashed across the ticker during the nucks post game SN Connected Pacific....

No mention of it in the article on SN.ca tho.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:07 AM
kwanjie

Elias is a skilled player and as he gets older his reaction and skill will diminish... but with Smyth.. he's not that skilled he's just a hard worker and reads the game very well not to mention he stays in front of the net effectively. Even at 37 I dont see Smyth will have any trouble playing the same way he does now.

kwanjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:20 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanjie View Post
Elias is a skilled player and as he gets older his reaction and skill will diminish... but with Smyth.. he's not that skilled he's just a hard worker and reads the game very well not to mention he stays in front of the net effectively. Even at 37 I dont see Smyth will have any trouble playing the same way he does now.
You guys keep saying "will he be a five million dollar player in seven years" but you forget hat a five million dollar player won't be all that special in even five years. I five million dollar guy in five years is probably equal to a 3.5 guy right now.

Sounds like something that would work for both sides. Hopefully by this weekend Smytty is locked up so long term that they can begin planning his retirement ceremony (minus the clips of the several cups he'll raise in between now and then)

01-29-2007, 01:22 AM
CB420

Hmmm, thats interesting, why would it report on the ticker that Smyth would be named captain, how would the Oilers ever let something like that leak out into the media...unless its from a real credible source.

On HNIC they reported that Smyths agent meehan was in talks with the oil, hopefully can get this done. Interesting though, why would we decide to name SMytty captain, just cause he signs our contract. IF Gator is in a possible trade, of course Smyth would be named captain in his place then.

Its just then the question of, what could gator bring back to us in return, hopefully another Dman, if its that boston trade, that again bruce garrioch wrote about in his trade rumour article today in the sun, Stuart and Sturm, maybe a draft pick thrown in, cause that wouldnt seem right, Jason smith straight up for brad stuart and marco sturm.

CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:25 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB420 View Post
Hmmm, thats interesting, why would it report on the ticker that Smyth would be named captain, how would the Oilers ever let something like that leak out into the media...unless its from a real credible source.

On HNIC they reported that Smyths agent meehan was in talks with the oil, hopefully can get this done. Interesting though, why would we decide to name SMytty captain, just cause he signs our contract. IF Gator is in a possible trade, of course Smyth would be named captain in his place then.

Its just then the question of, what could gator bring back to us in return, hopefully another Dman, if its that boston trade, that again bruce garrioch wrote about in his trade rumour article today in the sun, Stuart and Sturm, maybe a draft pick thrown in, cause that wouldnt seem right, Jason smith straight up for brad stuart and marco sturm.
That is one assumption or perhaps Jason Smith has went to Lowe and said that it is time for a change and Ryan Smyth should be Captain.

Remember Lee Fogolin! He actually went to the coaches and told them it was time to make Wayne Gretzky Captain.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:27 AM
BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
i can confirm the Captaincy thing flashed across the ticker during the nucks post game SN Connected Pacific....

No mention of it in the article on SN.ca tho.
Ya i saw that as well, i thought i was seeing things, but it flashed a few times, but when the 11 oclock show started the captaincy part was gone.

BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:28 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB View Post
Ya i saw that as well, i thought i was seeing things, but it flashed a few times, but when the 11 oclock show started the captaincy part was gone.
It was in Brownlee's piece this morning but seemed more of a suggestion. We'll have to see.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:29 AM
stoll_16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB View Post
oh really, thats weird.... i saw the TSN report and smytty is pissed that his contract talks have begun in the middle of teh playoff run.

stoll_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:31 AM
CB420

yea, thats true hockeyaddict, Its nothing like what the stars did, taking the C away from modano cause they thought morrow was the future of their franchise. modanos been the captain of that team for a long time, then all of sudden one year they decide morrow has better leadership qualities or something.

It for sure wouldnt be Mact's or Klowes call, it would be up to the players in our locker room to decide, if they feel Ryan is ready n capable which 100% of them do, then that takes alota class by Gator to do that.

CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote