HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sportsnet Ticker

Old
01-29-2007, 02:37 AM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB420 View Post
yea, thats true hockeyaddict, Its nothing like what the stars did, taking the C away from modano cause they thought morrow was the future of their franchise. modanos been the captain of that team for a long time, then all of sudden one year they decide morrow has better leadership qualities or something.

It for sure wouldnt be Mact's or Klowes call, it would be up to the players in our locker room to decide, if they feel Ryan is ready n capable which 100% of them do, then that takes alota class by Gator to do that.
Smith is well respected around the NHL for his leadership abilities which was shown even by that ridiclous ESPN poll where I believe he got quite a few votes as best Captain which surprised me because he is not a high profile player.

The Oilers are also known as a classy organization, I can't imagine them just stripping Jason Smith of the Captaincy and handing it to Ryan Smyth.

IMO if this happens Jason Smith will be at the press conference opening the sweater with the "C" and handing it to Ryan Smyth! Sort of like passing the torch.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:48 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

The impression I got was that KLO offered him a number of contracts that ranged from 3 to 7 years, and the long term deals, the cap hit will be around 5m. Im sure the contracts will be front-loaded and decline slowly.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:58 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
The impression I got was that KLO offered him a number of contracts that ranged from 3 to 7 years, and the long term deals, the cap hit will be around 5m. Im sure the contracts will be front-loaded and decline slowly.
That would make the most sense to me, it would still be the same cap hit but easier on the budget as the seasons progress.

Old
01-29-2007, 03:15 AM
Hemsky4PM

I think the chemistry that our top line has now that they're together again makes signing Smyth even more attractive for the Oilers. Whoever plays with Hemsky seems to get the numbers, and in that respect Smyth will always be a 30+ goal and 70+ point player. Combined with his one ice leadership and off ice involvement in the community and 5M over 5 years wouldn't bother me. I think they could do something like 7 years with the final two years being about 3.5M but the first two being 5.5M with years 3,4,5 at 5M even. 33M over 7 years, 4.714M cap number.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 03:16 AM
Unsustainable

I've gotta say I am 110% in favor of this. Please let me wake up tomorrow morning to good news.

Unsustainable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 03:20 AM
Boozers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersOwn View Post
Maybe smith is on his way out?
I hope its not 7 year, i would prefer a 5 year deal, but hey anything to keep him in oil silks.
Not a chance its 6 yrs 5 million each I almost guarantee the number goes down as the years go up. Almost every salary number per year that is reported is just a round figure and these "sources" dont have the exact dollar value/year.

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 03:27 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
It was in Brownlee's piece this morning but seemed more of a suggestion. We'll have to see.
Jones, you mean. Brownlee was de-jobbed recently.

Anyway, people should keep in mind this is Sportsnet we're talking about here. You know, the guys that are far more concerned with breaking a story first, and worry about accuracy afterwards?

Who's to say they didn't just read Jonesy's article, and figured the main points of it would look cool on their ticker?

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 03:37 AM
Boozers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Jones, you mean. Brownlee was de-jobbed recently.

Anyway, people should keep in mind this is Sportsnet we're talking about here. You know, the guys that are far more concerned with breaking a story first, and worry about accuracy afterwards?

Who's to say they didn't just read Jonesy's article, and figured the main points of it would look cool on their ticker?
Thats probably what they did

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 03:51 AM
Sorting this mess

I strongly disagree with anyone who thinks Smyth should be named captain on so many points. last year, regardless of an A on the jersey, Smyth was down the Totem pole with Pronger and Moreau in the lineup, now he's more of a presence and there's big chemistry problems. If the C on his Jersey is really such a big deal to him that it makes a difference as to whether or not he signs then I don't want him on the team.

His attitude at times has been very poor, he even said on after hours that the figure on the contract was more about 'respect and credibility around the league' than his lifestyle.

As for his leadership, on segments when he's been mic'ed in a game I've heard him mostly just belittling the other players more than mentoring. Mentoring is what Jason Smith does to players like Greene, or Pronger to MAB last year (although I don't know if a 6'6 superstar is the best choice for and undrafted 5'2)
For example,
-He siad some silly comment to Hemsky about horse blinders and instead of Hemsky asking what he meant and what he should have done, Hemsky starts swearing and waving his arms around.
-Again, when Lupul once had the audacity to stray towards the front of the net, which everyone knows, is 'Smyth's office', Smyth started screaming at Lupul to get the hell away.

If signing Smyth means handcuffing the franchise for 3 - 5 years with a big contract and trading him means an asset in return and gives our younger players more room to grow and step up then what would you choose?

Sorting this mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 07:28 AM
smythfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB420 View Post
yea, thats true hockeyaddict, Its nothing like what the stars did, taking the C away from modano cause they thought morrow was the future of their franchise. modanos been the captain of that team for a long time, then all of sudden one year they decide morrow has better leadership qualities or something.

It for sure wouldnt be Mact's or Klowes call, it would be up to the players in our locker room to decide, if they feel Ryan is ready n capable which 100% of them do, then that takes alota class by Gator to do that.
Actually Modano was only captain of the Dallas Stars from 2003-2006. That isn't really all that long. Hatcher was the captain for like 8 years before Modano.

smythfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 07:46 AM
dynastydays

Suck it up Buttercup

Why is Ryan so pissed? hes acting like a little baby whining about not wanting it to take this long and not being this time of the season etc. I think Lowe hurt his feelings. Smyth seems like anything but captain material this season. He's getting a little too ahole-ish for my taste.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:55 AM
smythfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post
Why is Ryan so pissed? hes acting like a little baby whining about not wanting it to take this long and not being this time of the season etc. I think Lowe hurt his feelings. Smyth seems like anything but captain material this season. He's getting a little too ahole-ish for my taste.
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I have read on this message board for a long long long time. Ryan Smyth has been nothing but class in his whole career. I think he has every right to be a little frustrated that things didn't get done before the season. Ahole-ish?? The guy goes out there and plays his heart out every night and carries this team. Show my these interviews and articles where he is "whining" and acting like a little baby? Please show me?

Old
01-29-2007, 09:08 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
what would you prefer 7mill a year for 5 years or 5mill for 7 years?

from a cap point of view

5mill a year

Smyth is a work horse

he may want 8mill a year

you never know

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:22 AM
dynastydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by smythfan View Post
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I have read on this message board for a long long long time. Ryan Smyth has been nothing but class in his whole career. I think he has every right to be a little frustrated that things didn't get done before the season. Ahole-ish?? The guy goes out there and plays his heart out every night and carries this team. Show my these interviews and articles where he is "whining" and acting like a little baby? Please show me?
ok 'smythfan' I apologize for being a part of the most rediculous thing on this messageboard for a long long long time. seriously? You need to pay attention more and redefine your opinion of rediculous. Especially on these boards.

Why in hell should he be pissed off... hes getting offered 5M+ for 4-7 years... WHY be going off in the press with that "this is exactly what I didnt want to happen" garbage? Whats he to gain now? Where was that anger when he was stinking up the finals last year?

I wonder why sometimes why i have so much contempt for fanboys and then a response like that seeps through to remind me. Thank you for that.

Old
01-29-2007, 09:26 AM
smythfan

Quote:
ok 'smythfan' I apologize for being a part of the most rediculous thing on this messageboard for a long long long time. seriously? You need to pay attention more and redefine your opinion of rediculous. Especially on these boards.

Why in hell should he be pissed off... hes getting offered 5M+ for 4-7 years... WHY be going off in the press with that "this is exactly what I didnt want to happen" garbage? Whats he to gain now? Where was that anger when he was stinking up the finals last year?

I wonder why sometimes why i have so much contempt for fanboys and then a response like that seeps through to remind me. Thank you for that.
What exactly does "fanboys" mean? Out of curiosity before I reply to the rest of your post.

Old
01-29-2007, 09:27 AM
dynastydays

Quote:
What exactly does "fanboys" mean? Out of curiosity before I reply to the rest of your post.
Don't waste your energy, its not worth furthering the discussion, honestly. For either of us.

Old
01-29-2007, 09:31 AM
smythfan

Quote:
Don't waste your energy, its not worth furthering the discussion, honestly. For either of us.
Well i think it is worth the discussion. I do think it is ridiculous to call Ryan Smyth an A-hole and a baby. I think he deserves to be paid. I think most people would agree that he has always been a classy guy and that he has always given his heart for this team. I think he deserves to be a little frustrated and I think ANY player in the league would be.

So once again, what does "fanboy" mean? Are you referring to me as a teenage boy who is a homer and knows nothing about hockey? Im just curious?

Old
01-29-2007, 09:34 AM
dynastydays

Quote:
Well i think it is worth the discussion. I do think it is ridiculous to call Ryan Smyth an A-hole and a baby. I think he deserves to be paid. I think most people would agree that he has always been a classy guy and that he has always given his heart for this team. I think he deserves to be a little frustrated and I think ANY player in the league would be.

So once again, what does "fanboy" mean? Are you referring to me as a teenage boy who is a homer and knows nothing about hockey? Im just curious?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanboy

Old
01-29-2007, 09:42 AM
smythfan

Quote:
Thank you! And next time please have the courtesy to refer to me a "fangirl." Or you could just not call me a name in the first place.

Im not obsessed with Smyth. I am a big fan and supporter yes. My opinion is not based solely on being a fan of his. I would hold the same opinion about any player in the league in his situation.

I apologize for calling your post ridiculous. But I don't not agree with you. Your opinion is yours and mine is mine. While I am sure people agree with you I am sure many agree with me too.

Old
01-29-2007, 09:53 AM
dynastydays

Quote:
Thank you! And next time please have the courtesy to refer to me a "fangirl." Or you could just not call me a name in the first place.
Well when i say that smyth complaining after being offered a huge contract is whining, and think that his attitude this season has been a bit a-hole-ish... referring to his attitude dealing with teammates etc and the contract situation... then having that called the most ridiculous post here in a long long long long long long time...

I'm left to assume you are a bit of a faboy, or fangirl. Thats an evaluation, not an insult.

Old
01-29-2007, 09:58 AM
smythfan

Quote:
Well when i say that smyth complaining after being offered a huge contract is whining, and think that his attitude this season has been a bit a-hole-ish... referring to his attitude dealing with teammates etc and the contract situation... then having that called the most ridiculous post here in a long long long long long long time...

I'm left to assume you are a bit of a faboy, or fangirl. Thats an evaluation, not an insult.
Fair enough! What I am trying to understand though is that the current offer that is apparently on the table Ryan has not even responded to yet in the media. In fact he specifially said when asked about he had no idea and he couldnt wait to talk to Meehan. Im just curious where in the media he was an a hole or baby about it. Everything said by him was before this current offer.

Old
01-29-2007, 10:03 AM
dynastydays

Quote:
Fair enough! What I am trying to understand though is that the current offer that is apparently on the table Ryan has not even responded to yet in the media. In fact he specifially said when asked about he had no idea and he couldnt wait to talk to Meehan. Im just curious where in the media he was an a hole or baby about it. Everything said by him was before this current offer.
Ive seen him on TSN about 3 times this morning saying he hanst looked at the contract, he didnt wnat it to drag on like this, this is exactly what he didnt want to happen, so hes listening to his agent and waiting until after the recent games to have a look at it. he wasn't a happy camper.

Im sorry I can't empathize. Talking about that to the press, so people like me can hear him unhappy with his 5M+ per year contract offer is whining. If He wants Lowe to know something, get hsi agent to tell Lowe... i honsetly dont want to hear it, its his choice and hes free to express himself... but im free to call it whining after I hear it.

Old
01-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Brunosan

Quote:
Talking about that to the press, so people like me can hear him unhappy with his 5M+ per year contract offer is whining. If He wants Lowe to know something, get hsi agent to tell Lowe... i honsetly dont want to hear it, its his choice and hes free to express himself... but im free to call it whining after I hear it.
IMO, Smyth isn't the one coming across as "rediculous" and whiny. Perhaps I should "redefine my opinion"?

Brunosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:52 PM
hockeyaddict101

Lowe made a mistake.

He lowballed his offer and then when Smyth refused that offer, Lowe said he didn't want to negotiate during the season

Now Smyth understandably is angry that Lowe wants to negotiate now.

He is obviously going to do so but isn't happy about it, he could have said "Forget it, you had your chance and now I am going to be a UFA at the end of the year"

It is Lowe that has (for obvious reasons) changed his mind and now wants to negotiate during the season and Smyth has a legitimate beef.

Old
01-29-2007, 01:07 PM
PhoenixDog
Flamer for Life !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
that was an abortion, I hope the Smytty stuff is true though, he's the kind of guy you do big sick deals with.

I think what my friend meant to say was that its and "aberration"

PhoenixDog is offline   Reply With Quote