HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we have it all??? To win it all???

Old
01-29-2007, 04:56 AM
Answer

vCash: 500
Do we have it all??? To win it all???

Forwards:

Talent / Production : Spezza, Alfie, Heatley, Comrie

Gritty + Skilled : Alfie, Heatley, Fisher, Comrie, Vermette, Scheafer, Eaves

Toughness : Alfie, Fisher, Neil, Scheafer, Mcgrattan

Speed : Vermette, Fisher, Alfie, Comrie

Depth : Yes

Experience : Yes

Defencemen:

Puck Mover / Production : Redden, Preissing, Corvo, Meszaros

Gritty + Toughness : Phillips, Redden, Volchenkov, Meszaros

Mobile Defensive Ability : Redden, Phillips, Volchenkov

Speed : Corvo, Preissing, Redden

Depth : Yes

Experience : Yes

Goaltending????????????????

Emery is still not the answer

: Give big rebounds
: has givin up a couple of weak goals in this winning stretch
: still a little inconsistant

Gerber

: Playoff Experience

Road to the Stanley Cup

Passion : not enough

Willingness to Win : need more effort

Not to be OverConfident: taking it easy and "Getting Suprised" X

Winning Mentality : forget the past. We are not chokers, its just a theory

Bad Luck? : Bad things only happen to teams who play bad

Strategy : good defense (leads to better offense)
-we got 1 of the better and deepest defensive group, but its overshadowed by our highly aptitude offense-

Coaching : Potentialy Yes!

Last edited by Answer: 01-29-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:20 AM
The Fuhr*

Well we will be going with Emery and Gerber so I am going to hope for the best. I have seen Emery make saves this season that should have been goals. I don't remember Lalime ever doing that when he was here. We had it for a brief instance with Hasek but thats it. Tugnutt was capable of doing it in stretches.

Emery has the ability in him to steal games we have no business winning, he has done it more then a handful of times this season, he keeps us in games until we get our legs going and score a goal. He does give up a bad goal from time to time but it is never a crucial goal, Grant Fuhr gave up boat loads of weak goals but whenever his team needed that big save he was there for it. I have faith in Emery these playoffs and if Gerber needs to come in for any reason I think he will also play with a chip on his shoulder.

I am very happy with our goaltending.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 07:43 AM
Savannah Skunk

Gerber played so well for the Canes last year and then fell sick before the playoffs, leaving the spot to Cam Ward. We all know how well that worked out. Going into the playoffs, not only do we have an exceptional goal tender in Emery, but we have Mr. Gerber who must be itching to get some playoff action and proove what he is worth. I think we just have the leagues best goaltending duo (except for Nabakov and Toskala) going into the playoffs.

I'm not worried.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Preeat

Send a message via MSN to Preeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah Skunk View Post
Gerber played so well for the Canes last year and then fell sick before the playoffs, leaving the spot to Cam Ward. We all know how well that worked out. Going into the playoffs, not only do we have an exceptional goal tender in Emery, but we have Mr. Gerber who must be itching to get some playoff action and proove what he is worth. I think we just have the leagues best goaltending duo (except for Nabakov and Toskala) going into the playoffs.

I'm not worried.
I don't think we have the best duo but I feel much more comfortable with it compared to early on in the season when Gerber and the rest of the team was horrible.

Preeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:08 AM
freakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah Skunk View Post

I'm not worried.
nah, if we are going to win it's going to be the result of the defense more than anything. I would rate our goaltending duo near the middle. not that I would rate our defense the best, but as much as Emery has been doing great our recent success is in large part due to the defense.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:29 AM
PlayItAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakin View Post
nah, if we are going to win it's going to be the result of the defense more than anything. I would rate our goaltending duo near the middle. not that I would rate our defense the best, but as much as Emery has been doing great our recent success is in large part due to the defense.
I agree. The Sens are playing some GREAT team defense. I have been most impressed, sofar as to say it might some of the best overall team defense the Sens have ever played.

I think Murray deserves some credit for this. For a while a lot of fans have been whining about Murray and his lack of "system". The way the team is playing now, it makes me believe that Murray was not the problem and had a good system in place. It was the players who maybe refused to play into his system.

Whatever the case may be, the commitment the players have to support each other is exemplary.

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:36 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I think they've "had it" for years now.

It's just a matter of whether the team is operating at peak performance at the right time.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:40 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItAgain View Post

I think Murray deserves some credit for this. For a while a lot of fans have been whining about Murray and his lack of "system". The way the team is playing now, it makes me believe that Murray was not the problem and had a good system in place. It was the players who maybe refused to play into his system.

Whatever the case may be, the commitment the players have to support each other is exemplary.
Your right it was the players needing to buy into the new system. Pierre McGuire was talking the other day on the fan590 here where I am about the Sens turn around. He said Murray had a system in place but the team did not buy into it and thought they could get by with there skill. When Spezza went down it changed the view of the players and they needed to rely on more team play then individual play. He aslo pointed out Redden saying his return allowed the other defensemen to play more roles suited to there skills and Reddens return stabilizes the blueline. I am so happy the team is now playing as a team and everything is coming together as I thought it would.

Old
01-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakin View Post
our defense not the best??

lets talk stats from 2005/06

3rd fewest goals allowed, only behind detroit(2 goals) and calgary(11 goals) while playing a run and gun system .. hasek only played half a season
we had the fewest goals allowed for the 95% of the season, if it wasnt for our top3 Dmen(redden,phillips,chara and later volchenkov) being sidelined at the same time for like 10 days we wouldve pulled away with it .. limited to only 5 dmen

lets talk this season

best in east, only behind newjersey(they play trap while we mostly run n gun untill of late due to injuries)
better than 8 western teams ... pretty close on catching up to the top western teams ..

and on top of that the fewest goal against average teams got elite goalies

Old
01-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
What's with all these threads made to jinx us?

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:03 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCup View Post
I doubt a thread jinxes anything. Can you really blame some fans for being excited about the teams play? I would rather read these threads then what was being posted in November.

Old
01-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
I doubt a thread jinxes anything. Can you really blame some fans for being excited about the teams play? I would rather read these threads then what was being posted in November.
Yeah, true..

edit: I'm the coach that has her whole hockey team knock on wood anytime someone says win or shutout, haha, so.

Old
01-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Answer

Quote:

you have an option of not reading it ...

everyone likes new post to read to keep a damn forum active .. thats what a forum is all about... new threads

Old
01-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpLiCiT_P1ayA__ View Post
you have an option of not reading it ...

everyone likes new post to read to keep a damn forum active .. thats what a forum is all about... new threads
dude, I'm joking.

Old
01-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Brandi

I think the team is showing a tone of passion right now.
More so than previous years.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Answer

1-0 or 2-0 makes me more happy than a 8-3 or a 10-4 blowout

a 5-1 looks good when playing a weak team

8-0 only happens vs toronto and it feels soo right~~

Old
01-29-2007, 09:24 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I think they've "had it" for years now.
It's just a matter of whether the team is operating at peak performance at the right time.
I agree with this completely - and to this I would add the point that at the end of the day your best players have to be your best players if you're going to win. This team is built around the elite core of Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson, and Redden, and is a team built for offensive production. This team loses playoff series' when the offense fails to produce, and the team fails to match the intensity of their opponents. Goaltending becomes a convenient scapegoat, but it's a team game and it's all about the team rising to the occasion. Outside of 1997 and 2003, I'm hard-pressed to say that I've seen playoff losing series' where the team has genuinely 'left it all out on the ice'. And if you're not operating on that level, you're not going to win a Stanley Cup.

sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:27 AM
freakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpLiCiT_P1ayA__ View Post
our defense not the best??

lets talk stats from 2005/06

3rd fewest goals allowed, only behind detroit(2 goals) and calgary(11 goals) while playing a run and gun system .. hasek only played half a season
we had the fewest goals allowed for the 95% of the season, if it wasnt for our top3 Dmen(redden,phillips,chara and later volchenkov) being sidelined at the same time for like 10 days we wouldve pulled away with it .. limited to only 5 dmen

lets talk this season

best in east, only behind newjersey(they play trap while we mostly run n gun untill of late due to injuries)
better than 8 western teams ... pretty close on catching up to the top western teams ..

and on top of that the fewest goal against average teams got elite goalies
dude, you're slow, I never said the defense was bad, I was actually complimenting them. learn to read.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:36 AM
billpo

If we went out and got a Roberts type player, I woild feel even better about our chances in the playoffs.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:55 PM
D-Block

Last playoffs we made stupid mistakes with all the shorthanded goals etc, our main players didn't score when we needed them to do so.

I think those mistakes won't happen, the big 3 will step it up knowing they have to perform better than they did last playoff series. Once that happens, the Cup is ours. It's all about our big 3 stepping up when we need them.

D-Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 03:35 PM
billpo

Seriously though people. No one really knows whats going to happen. There have been a few years where I'm sure we have al said "this is the year" and we've just choked, and we've been left wondering what happened. I really think that this team has as good a chance as any other team to win. They have started showing some heart and determination and showing that they know what it takes to win. The team is playing a lot better defensively, and I have feel a lot better now that we have some depth in the forward positions. I know a lot of people want to unload Gerber's salary, but I think we need to keep him for the long haul(you just never know).

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
dude, I'm joking.
You have to realize there's only about 3-4 of us on our boards that understand sarcasm.

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 04:49 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
You have to realize there's only about 3-4 of us on our boards that understand sarcasm.

I love watching people over react though.

Check out post 87. Ya he erased it, but you can see it as someone quoted it right below it.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=335943&page=4

That was as good as thio15 reaction.

Old
01-29-2007, 04:49 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
That's what the is for.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Well we will be going with Emery and Gerber so I am going to hope for the best. I have seen Emery make saves this season that should have been goals. I don't remember Lalime ever doing that when he was here. We had it for a brief instance with Hasek but thats it. Tugnutt was capable of doing it in stretches.

Emery has the ability in him to steal games we have no business winning, he has done it more then a handful of times this season, he keeps us in games until we get our legs going and score a goal. He does give up a bad goal from time to time but it is never a crucial goal, Grant Fuhr gave up boat loads of weak goals but whenever his team needed that big save he was there for it. I have faith in Emery these playoffs and if Gerber needs to come in for any reason I think he will also play with a chip on his shoulder.

I am very happy with our goaltending.
I have great faith in Emery. He just is mentally tough. If he gets shelled in a game or lets in a bad goal it won't faze him. I really believe he has the makings of a good playoff goalie. I don't think he is onr of the very best goalies in the NHL, but he is quite good and mentally solid. Good enough to lead a team as good as the Sens are this year (if they play near the top of their game) to the Cup. He is not going to melt down like Lalime or Legace have done if he has a bad game or 2. If he lets in a goal from the blue line through his legs then he will just shrug it off and stay on his game.

That is very, very important. Plus he will play through injuries effectively and won't shut it down if he feels a tweak or a pull like Hasek did.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote