HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Esposito's Book

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-05-2003, 09:30 AM
  #1
Terrier
Registered User
 
Terrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 2,526
vCash: 500
Esposito's Book

Just wondering, have any Ranger fans here read Phil Esposito's new book, "Thunder and Lightning"? It's a brutally frank book, and includes a lot of Ranger stories about players like Don Murdoch. There is a segment on Esposito attempting to acquire Messier and Gretzky during the 80's, only to have MSG management squash the deals because they were already selling out every game.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsro...2nhlnotes.html

Terrier is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 10:15 AM
  #2
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Unfortunately, Phil seems to be just like a ton of other athletes of late (Wells, LT etc.) that feel they need to embellish things just a big to seel some books.

A number of people have already called some of the stuff Phil has in his book complete lies.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 03:01 PM
  #3
JCProdigy
Registered User
 
JCProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: I want what I want
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Unfortunately, Phil seems to be just like a ton of other athletes of late (Wells, LT etc.) that feel they need to embellish things just a big to seel some books.

A number of people have already called some of the stuff Phil has in his book complete lies.
Is some of what Espo wrote in his book embellished? Probably yes but the problem with the guys saying that his book is full of lies, is that they too have their own agendas.

Same could be said about what other Football players are saying about LT's book. If you were LT's teammate/competition and he came out with this book would you like to have to explain to your family about your involvement in hookers, drugs, and payoffs? If they said those things happened then they'd be incriminating themselves. As they always say: "Where there's smoke there's fire."

JCProdigy is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 06:24 PM
  #4
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
Is some of what Espo wrote in his book embellished? Probably yes but the problem with the guys saying that his book is full of lies, is that they too have their own agendas.
Yes, but making up trade offers that never happened is more than just embellishing things.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 07:28 PM
  #5
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Yes, but making up trade offers that never happened is more than just embellishing things.
Maybe they were lies and maybe they weren't. How the heck do we know?

Barnaby is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 07:33 PM
  #6
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Maybe they were lies and maybe they weren't. How the heck do we know?

When the opposing GM, owner, and 3 hockey writers all agree that it's made up, I'll believe that group over Esposito.

Especially when the players talked about being dealt were no longer on the team.

Espo said that Clarke wanted to include Brind'amour in the original trade for Gratton.

Truth is, Clarke didn't want to include any players, he just wanted to give up the draft picks for signing a RFA. At the last minute Ed Snider convinced Clarke to make a trade for Gratton, that it would be better for the league than to do an RFA signing. The end deal was Renberg & Dykhuis.



Clarke is not the only GM that has accused Espo of lying in his book.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 07:40 PM
  #7
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
When the opposing GM, owner, and 3 hockey writers all agree that it's made up, I'll believe that group over Esposito.

Especially when the players talked about being dealt were no longer on the team.

Espo said that Clarke wanted to include Brind'amour in the original trade for Gratton.

Truth is, Clarke didn't want to include any players, he just wanted to give up the draft picks for signing a RFA. At the last minute Ed Snider convinced Clarke to make a trade for Gratton, that it would be better for the league than to do an RFA signing. The end deal was Renberg & Dykhuis.



Clarke is not the only GM that has accused Espo of lying in his book.
He probably did lie. You dont sell many books without any controversial info. I'm just saying for us to know what offers were real or fake is awfully difficult. Also, I havent read the book but he probably brings up only good offers (Mess, Gretz) to make himself look like a genius. Most probably are fake but we cant know for sure.

Barnaby is offline  
Old
12-06-2003, 12:27 PM
  #8
JCProdigy
Registered User
 
JCProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: I want what I want
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
When the opposing GM, owner, and 3 hockey writers all agree that it's made up, I'll believe that group over Esposito.
I really choose to believe neither as all of them still have their own agenda's. Mess won a cup in edmonton after this supposed trade that fell through. No Mess equals no cup. Not something that you want to be known to almost screw up. Also the opposing GM just happens to be Sather and I don't know if Espo has FLAT OUT lied to the fans in public before, but I do know Sather has. You might remember....the no way is he trading for Lindros quote at a long time ticket holders dinner?

And hockey writers of course are in "the know" with all their credible sources. I've never heard them be wrong about many things before. Of course, according to some writers, Jagr has been traded to the Rangers twice all ready. Like I said I don't really believe any of them but Espo bringing up things like he did sure makes for a good conversation piece and some fantasies that any Ranger fan could use at this point in time.

JCProdigy is offline  
Old
12-06-2003, 02:57 PM
  #9
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,216
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
When the opposing GM, owner, and 3 hockey writers all agree that it's made up, I'll believe that group over Esposito.

Especially when the players talked about being dealt were no longer on the team.

Espo said that Clarke wanted to include Brind'amour in the original trade for Gratton.

Truth is, Clarke didn't want to include any players, he just wanted to give up the draft picks for signing a RFA. At the last minute Ed Snider convinced Clarke to make a trade for Gratton, that it would be better for the league than to do an RFA signing. The end deal was Renberg & Dykhuis.



Clarke is not the only GM that has accused Espo of lying in his book.

Not for anything, but this is the 2nd time I heard about the Ranger pitching for both Mess and Gretz.

I either read in a book that Espo made a play for both or heard somethign about in on TV but this is the 2nd time that that comment was made.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
12-06-2003, 09:47 PM
  #10
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Not for anything, but this is the 2nd time I heard about the Ranger pitching for both Mess and Gretz.

I either read in a book that Espo made a play for both or heard somethign about in on TV but this is the 2nd time that that comment was made.
Exactly. Who knows? Is Sather going to admit to wanting to trade Mess earlier when it woulda been an awful move? Of course not. Why make yourself look bad. Are the Rangers going to admit backing out? Of course not it makes them look foolish. Or maybe Espo wants to come across as a genius.

Like I said, Who knows?

Barnaby is offline  
Old
12-08-2003, 05:37 AM
  #11
33teddy33
Registered User
 
33teddy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to 33teddy33 Send a message via AIM to 33teddy33 Send a message via Yahoo to 33teddy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Exactly. Who knows? Is Sather going to admit to wanting to trade Mess earlier when it woulda been an awful move? Of course not. Why make yourself look bad. Are the Rangers going to admit backing out? Of course not it makes them look foolish. Or maybe Espo wants to come across as a genius.

Like I said, Who knows?
Who cares? You guys ever see him play in a Blueshirt besides an "Old Timers" game anyhow?
Relax.
Sticks and stones.
We've all embellished a little.
So the guy had a boring life besides playing hockey and wants to look like a genious.... so what.
Who knows who is lying. Whats to say that the opposing owners and their moms and the pope isn't lying?? So what.
The guy played a great game of stick. Period!


Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 12-08-2003 at 05:49 AM.
33teddy33 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.