HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

comrie for a goalie

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2003, 03:17 AM
studhorseman

vCash: 500
comrie for a goalie

I think one of Edmonton's biggest problems right now is in goal. So why not try to land a goalie. I'd target Ottawa, because I think Prusek is a more than capable goalie and when looking over the needs of each team, it kind of makes sense.

to Edm:

Prusek
White
Pothier
Leschyshyn
Laich

to Ottawa:

Comrie
Isbister
Cross

As mentioned before, Edmonton needs help in goal. White is a capable center who could work well with Smyth. I think Pothier is definately a solid defenceman and Leschyshn would be a great benefit to the development of Bergeron and Semenov as well as a force in the locker room and in the playoffs. Laich is a solid rw prospect which if any position is what Edmonton is lacking right now, prospect-wise.
From Ottawa's perspective, besides Comrie, they get Isbister who fills a void on LW and provides them with grit and presence on the ice. I don't have to much nice to say on Cross (I personally don't like him very much - I am a Leafs fan) but he is big. Moreover, Ottawa dumps Leschyshyn who has been a scratch for the last 7 games and 9 of the last 12. Dealing away Prusek allows Emery a chance to start his NHL career (kind of like when Dal dealt Turek to StL and gave Turco a chance).

That being said, I don't think Edmonton really wants to give up Isbister (personally I think he' s a decent player and a good fit in Edm) but Edm is pretty deep on left with Smyth, York and Moreau.

In the end, Edm gets two defencemen whom are both better than Cross. They give up a guy who isn't playing and get a center for Smyth. While they sacrifice Isbister, they get a solid goalie (which they sorely need) and a pretty decent prospect. I don't know if any picks would have to be thrown in or exchanged to finalize the deal, but I think it works.

thoughts?

Old
12-06-2003, 03:46 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortiz
to Edm:

Prusek
White
Pothier
Leschyshyn
Laich

to Ottawa:

Comrie
Isbister
Cross
To be kind to a newcomer (welcome to the boards ), that trade is awful. A first line centre (to a team who has already converted a centre to the wing because they have too many), a second line LW (who Lowe gave up Niinimaa for), and Cross (who's solid as a rock back there),

for

Prusek (the 27yr. old backup), White (would be a decent pickup), Pothier (not much more than AHL depth), Leschyshyn (expensive and old), and Laich (a pretty good prospect).

All in all, we get hosed in this deal. We need quality, not quantity. If you want to target OTT for a trade (and for a goalie), go after Emery.

Old
12-06-2003, 04:14 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

I have to agree.

Besides, Prusek is outplaying Lalime lately so I doubt Ottawa would want to part with him.

Old
12-06-2003, 07:11 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
And goaltending hasn't been a problem, because Conklin has played very well.

Even if Salo isn't back to form, the Oilers are perfectly okay if they have Conklin and he maintains his level of play.

Old
12-06-2003, 07:55 AM
Mr Sakich

if the oilers are targeting a goalie, it own't be prusek. It will someone like dipietro. Lowe is building his team for post 2004 and a guy like blackburn could be his stud. There will always be an excess of average to above average guys available.

Old
12-06-2003, 10:35 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I've actually been thinking about trading for a young stud goalie as well. Salo is probably gone after this year, the verdict is still out on Conklin (although I think he will be a solid backup), and Deslauriers is still a few years away. This hasn't been proposed before, but I wouldn't mind if this happened:

Mike Comrie
Jeff Deslauriers

for

Dan Blackburn or Rick DiPietro

My reasoning is that NYR has Dunham and NYI has Snow. These goalies still have a few more years in them and their respective teams can afford to wait a little longer for their goaltending prospect to develop. DiPietro and Blackburn will probably be better than Deslauriers...thus we give Comrie to balance it out.

The Oilers meanwhile, are thinking about the present and the fuuture. DiPietro and Blackburn are at the stage where they can handle a starting job (or at least share a starting job with Conklin). Being very young, the Oilers can also hang on to them for a few years. I've actually been hearing both positive and negative things about Deslauriers, so until I've been proven otherwise, I wouldn't be entirely convinced that he will be our future in goal.

Last edited by USC Trojans: 12-06-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old
12-06-2003, 10:37 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
I've actually been thinking about trading for a young stud goalie as well. Salo is probably gone after this year, the verdict is still out on Conklin (although I think he will be a solid backup), and Deslauriers is still a few years away. This hasn't been proposed before, but I wouldn't mind if this happened:

Mike Comrie
Jeff Deslauriers

for

Dan Blackburn or Rick DiPietro

My reasoning is that NYR has Dunham and Markkanen and NYI has Osgood and Snow. These goalies still have a few more years in them and their respective teams can afford to wait a little longer for their goaltending prospect to develop. DiPietro and Blackburn will probably be better than Deslauriers...thus we give Comrie to balance it out.

The Oilers meanwhile, are thinking about the present and the fuuture. DiPietro and Blackburn are at the stage where they can handle a starting job (or at least share a starting job with Conklin). Being very young, the Oilers can also hang on to them for a few years. I've actually been hearing both positive and negative things about Deslauriers, so until I've been proven otherwise, I wouldn't be entirely convinced that he will be our future in goal.
You have my support if you throw in a bit more on the Oilers side and get Mark Parrish with him

Closed Thread