HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Very impressive goalie stats since X-mas

Old
01-29-2007, 07:47 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Very impressive goalie stats since X-mas

Goalie stats since X-mas

Dec 26 @NYI Lost 0-2
Dec 29 @OTT Lost 0-1
Dec 30 WAS Won 4-1
Jan 2 @NJ Won 3-2 (OT)
Jan 4 PHI Won 3-2
Jan 6 @MON Won 4-3
Jan 9 NYI Lost 3-5
Jan 11 OTT Lost 4-6
Jan 13 BOS Won 3-1
Jan 16 @NJ Lost 0-1
Jan 20 ATL Lost 1-3
Jan 27 @PHI Won 2-1

12 Games played
Won 6 - Lost 6
The Rangers have been shot out - 3 times
The Rangers have scored one goal - 1 time
Blowouts (let in more than 3 goals) - 1 time (2 including the Jan 11 loss vs Ottawa where K Weekes let in 5 goals 1st 2 periods)
The win loss statistics have therefore been seriously suffering due to lack of goalscoring in at least 4 games

Goals allowed - 22 (+ 2 empty net goals)
Periods played - 34
GAA - 1.94
Shots on goal - 302
Saves - 280
Save % - 0,927

IMO the goaltending is getting very stable again since X-mas. The defensive numbers are also encouraging for the total defensive effort during this time. The total offensive output 27 goals in 12 games (2.25 goals per game) is way to low on a team playing "offensive" hockey a la Europe. PP stats are dreadful the past 12 games. Horrendous.

Any thoughts or comments on this would be appreciated - as HL has basically - unnoticed and unrecognized - been producing league-leading GAA and save% stats for the past month - but not getting good enough team-effort in the offensive departmant to carry the team to necessary victories???

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:40 AM
bleedrngrblue

Excellent post ! I myself hadn't realized the amount of improvement, but that is very significant in the scheme of things.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:43 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Goalie stats since X-mas

Dec 26 @NYI Lost 0-2
Dec 29 @OTT Lost 0-1
Dec 30 WAS Won 4-1
Jan 2 @NJ Won 3-2 (OT)
Jan 4 PHI Won 3-2
Jan 6 @MON Won 4-3
Jan 9 NYI Lost 3-5
Jan 11 OTT Lost 4-6
Jan 13 BOS Won 3-1
Jan 16 @NJ Lost 0-1
Jan 20 ATL Lost 1-3
Jan 27 @PHI Won 2-1

12 Games played
Won 6 - Lost 6
Blowouts (let in more than 3 goals) - 1 time (2 including the Jan 11 loss vs Ottawa where K Weekes let in 5 goals 1st 2 periods)
The win loss statistics have therefore been seriously suffering due to lack of goalscoring in at least 4 games

Periods played - 34
GAA - 1.94
Shots on goal - 302
Saves - 280
Save % - 0,927

IMO the goaltending is getting very stable again since X-mas. The defensive numbers are also encouraging for the total defensive effort during this time. The total offensive output 27 goals in 12 games (2.25 goals per game) is way to low on a team playing "offensive" hockey a la Europe. PP stats are dreadful the past 12 games. Horrendous.

Any thoughts or comments on this would be appreciated - as HL has basically - unnoticed and unrecognized - been producing league-leading GAA and save% stats for the past month - but not getting good enough team-effort in the offensive departmant to carry the team to necessary victories???
Well statistics lie. I think Lundqvist will be a good goalie for a long time, maybe a great one. But watching him this year, it's clear that for every five spectacular saves he makes, he lets in a softie.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Lundqvist has also been extremely sharp of late, yielding only five goals in his last four starts and boasting a .953 save percentage over that stretch.
http://www.newyorkrangers.com/gameti...ew.asp?id=2632

Just another stat that I thought was telling of the improvement of the goaltending on the Rangers.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:46 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Goalie stats since X-mas

Dec 26 @NYI Lost 0-2
Dec 29 @OTT Lost 0-1
Dec 30 WAS Won 4-1
Jan 2 @NJ Won 3-2 (OT)
Jan 4 PHI Won 3-2
Jan 6 @MON Won 4-3
Jan 9 NYI Lost 3-5
Jan 11 OTT Lost 4-6
Jan 13 BOS Won 3-1
Jan 16 @NJ Lost 0-1
Jan 20 ATL Lost 1-3
Jan 27 @PHI Won 2-1

12 Games played
Won 6 - Lost 6

Periods played - 34
GAA - 1.94
Shots on goal - 302
Saves - 280
Save % - 0,927

Excellent post. Thanks!

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:46 AM
TheRedressor

Henrik and the team have improved since the early season defensive lapses.

Maybe it has something to do with Ozolinsh and Kapser not playing?

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:51 AM
kovalev27hf

well not for anything but henrik has a 2.49 goals against average and a .912 save percentage since nov 1st. pretty good. however if you take out 3 real bad games since nov1st. (the toronto game and 2 isles games) he's got a gaa below 2 and a save percentage around .933 very good.

kovalev27hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:02 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Henrik and the team have improved since the early season defensive lapses.

Maybe it has something to do with Ozolinsh and Kapser not playing?
Seriously, no. Unlike both Gs, neither Ozo or Kaspar were true liabilities. They are out because we have younger marginally better Ds.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:54 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Seriously, no. Unlike both Gs, neither Ozo or Kaspar were true liabilities. They are out because we have younger marginally better Ds.
You cant be serious. Not true liabilities? The only way they could be be BIGGER liabilities was if they consistantly shot the puck into their own net. Lundqvist hasnt played as well as last year, but if you think hes the problem then you are out of your mind.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Why do you have to make every post a joke? Can't you be serious for once?

OZO was not a liability?

Man, you need to start using the sarcasm smiley once in a while.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:41 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Why do you have to make every post a joke? Can't you be serious for once?

OZO was not a liability?

Man, you need to start using the sarcasm smiley once in a while.
Is he being sarcastic? either way its a pretty lame post

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:45 PM
DutchShamrock

The stats are improved because Malik is obviously covering for Lundqvist's mistakes.

Like that, Jon?

And the comment that Lundqvist let's in a softie for every 5 good saves is funny too, a .953 means that he let's in a "softie" every 20 good saves or so.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
The stats are improved because Malik is obviously covering for Lundqvist's mistakes.

Like that, Jon?
:head explodes:

Old
01-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Fletch

Mugerya...

for me, if Lundqvist's GAA has been under 2.00 per game since X-mas, I don't care which one is soft or which one is good. All great goalies have goals they'd like to have back - I think the majority of Richter's goals over his career were soft - seemingly making all the impossible saves. It happens.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
for me, if Lundqvist's GAA has been under 2.00 per game since X-mas, I don't care which one is soft or which one is good. All great goalies have goals they'd like to have back - I think the majority of Richter's goals over his career were soft - seemingly making all the impossible saves. It happens.
Certainly true.

Lundqvist has been simply phenomenal the 2nd half so far. I'd rather him being great now than great the 1st half and fading away, also!

Personally, I think he was never fully healthy at all until recently. He didn't have the mobility he had last year and he could hardly come close to saves above the ice level.

He's past all that now, thank God.

Old
01-29-2007, 12:55 PM
94now

No I'm not sarcastic. And why is that anything that contradicts the established opinion is crazy? FYI the NHL has changed. The role of goalie has increased, while criticality of defenseman has decrease. There is strong correlation between save % and team standing. It is simply undeniable. I agree Lundqvist is an incredible talent and future of NYR, but this season he has been mediocre and no defense would cover it. Besides this conversation is NOT about defense. My point is that with Lundqvist of last year no one would critique any D page after page... It is as unreasonable to expect last year goaltending as expect Rangers be in playoffs. With Lundqvist playing like last year we would have been a Cup contender and with acquisition of 2nd C could go deep even with Ozo and Kaspar in the line up.

Old
01-29-2007, 12:57 PM
in the hall

Quote:
you're right about richter, he'd make miracle saves shot after shot and then let in a softy just about every other game

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Fletch

the defense was critiqued to no end last season, despite the numbers looking good.

Through the first half of the first half this season, Lundqvist was mediocre, which exposed the defense. Lately, with him making many of the more difficult saves and bailing out guys like Malik, it's less obvious, but we still do see these defensemen making more than their fair share of mistakes, failures to cover the front of the net, and getting beat too often (it's too common seeing forwards behind the Rangers defensemen). A great defense can make a mediocre goalie great. Unfortunately, though, these Rangers do not have a great defense.

Old
01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
you're right about richter, he'd make miracle saves shot after shot and then let in a softy just about every other game
Not in 93-94 season. I'd say you are right about Mike from after 1996.

Old
01-29-2007, 01:11 PM
94now

Quote:
the defense was critiqued to no end last season, despite the numbers looking good.

Through the first half of the first half this season, Lundqvist was mediocre, which exposed the defense. Lately, with him making many of the more difficult saves and bailing out guys like Malik, it's less obvious, but we still do see these defensemen making more than their fair share of mistakes, failures to cover the front of the net, and getting beat too often (it's too common seeing forwards behind the Rangers defensemen). A great defense can make a mediocre goalie great. Unfortunately, though, these Rangers do not have a great defense.
I agree. Both parts are important. My point is... NOT EQUALLY. That 's all. The slight improvement in goaltending may result in the winning steak, while serious improvement in one D game could only let him off the hook on this message board with no real impact on team results. Team with average Ds has won the Cup. No average goalie name is engraved on it.

Old
01-29-2007, 01:27 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Well statistics lie. I think Lundqvist will be a good goalie for a long time, maybe a great one. But watching him this year, it's clear that for every five spectacular saves he makes, he lets in a softie.
I totally agree. Statistics often do not portray reality.
But in this specific case - there is some meat on the bones so to speak (meaning HL:s excellent play after X-mas). A save% of 0,927 is very good - anywhere and anyhow. But there have still been - as you correctly state - some softies getting through that are a bit irritating. But this number has been going down. But what is frustrating imo and what I was trying to highlight is a meager 6-6 record during this time period despite these awesome (maybe deceptive?) stats. But imo - better a great May and June in The Garden for Hank than a having shutouts all through September and October any year!

I honestly also think that all of the top Swedish players main goal last year was to win the Olympic gold medal. Which they obviously did to many´s surprise (including my own). I think you will see them (swedes) being a factor this year in the postseason instead - when their goals and ambitions only involve the NHL playoffs. Although some of them long to get the season over with a s a p, spend time on the golfcourse and have such a sweet and dandy Swedish socialized summer vacation - most of them do not want to stop playing early like generally Russians do once they sign the $$ contract (i e Nylander, Lundquist, Forsberg, Sundin, Lidström, Holmström, Alfredsson, the Sedin twins, Öhlund, Zetterberg, Tallinder, Påhlsson, Alfredsson, Huselius, Kronwall, The Moose...). Some Swedish players will evidently have to go elsewhere to play more this postseason ( Norstrom, Tellquist, Backman, Tjarnquist, M Holmquist, F Sjostrom) and one will be going to church (M Naslund ) before he retires ?? along with M Sundin.

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Fletch

'average' goalie is an interesting term. What I would say is that a goalie cannot play average for an extended period of time and still win a Cup for the most part. It's tough winning 16 games in April/May/June while playing 'average'; that I agree with.

I don't know too many teams that have played average defensively in the playoffs and still won the Cup though.

Old
01-29-2007, 01:59 PM
chosen

Quote:
INo average goalie name is engraved on it.
In the last 20 years or so these average goaltenders all are engraved:

Cam Ward (uncertain at this point)
Chris Osgood
Mike Vernon
Tom Barrasso
Bill Ranford

It is far tougher to be a good defenseman with the new rules than before. No more clutching and grabbing to cover up mistakes.

It's obvious from a lot of your posts that you either have a problem with goaltenders in general, or more likely, a problem with Lundqvist.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:12 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
In the last 20 years or so these average goaltenders all are engraved:

Cam Ward (uncertain at this point)
Chris Osgood
Mike Vernon
Tom Barrasso
Bill Ranford

It is far tougher to be a good defenseman with the new rules than before. No more clutching and grabbing to cover up mistakes.

It's obvious from a lot of your posts that you either have a problem with goaltenders in general, or more likely, a problem with Lundqvist.
These two were the only average goalies

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 02:15 PM
94now

Quote:
'average' goalie is an interesting term. .
As "average" I meant only statistical middle with respect to other NHL goalies. If you are at the bottom of the chart, so will be you team and you're out of playoffs. If you're at the middle, your team could make a playoffs. Then during playoffs you MUST play above average to win the Cup. As a result your season numbers will be above average. That is why only statistically "above average" goalies win the Cup. Can Lundqvist prove that he is in control of his level of performance? Yes, but if so , he has to show a better play right about now. Otherwise Rangers will miss the playoffs.That's why the last month stats, since defense played no different, are the reflection of Henke improvement and, therefore, a good starter.