HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

The Best Thing About This Team Right Now.....

Old
01-12-2007, 09:06 AM
abracanada

vCash: 500
The Best Thing About This Team Right Now.....

Is that all the folks that said we need a number one center - have shut up.

All the folks that said the Flames wouldn't make the playoffs - have shut up.

All the folks that said Iginla is overpaid - have shut up.

All the folks that wanted to run Playfair-Preston out of town on a rail - have shut up.

All the folks that figured Tanguay was leeching points - have shut up.

Now if we could just get the Regehr/Kobasew/Friesen/McCarty bashers under control.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 09:35 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

Bah, don't tell me that Tanguay isn't leeching points off of David Moss and Stephan Yelle.

Seriously, isn't Rich Preston the special teams coach? Man, we're having a bad year in that area. That 27th ranked powerplay and penalty kill is the only thing truly holding the team back.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 10:36 AM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraLeone View Post
Seriously, isn't Rich Preston the special teams coach? Man, we're having a bad year in that area. That 27th ranked powerplay and penalty kill is the only thing truly holding the team back.
While I do think that Preston is to blame for the brutal Special teams....it's all his fault. Some accountability has to go to the players. He's not the one who's telling them to be passive on both the PP and PK. He's not the one who's telling them to stop skating etc.

Remember, the special teams coach last year was Preston and we finished 7th overall in the PK and 12th on the PP (I think we were top 5 in both categories in the last half of the year too).

Preston needs to be better no doubt... but so do the players.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Sec of Partying Down

While I agree that the coach should not be blamed in all situations. Preston should take the brunt of the blame for the horrid PP/PK. Every other part of the team is doing well so I don't think it has much to do with players.

Sec of Partying Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Tont

vCash: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post

All the folks that wanted to run Playfair-Preston out of town on a rail - have shut up.

Now if we could just get the Regehr/Kobasew/Friesen/McCarty bashers under control.
...for now anyways

I have to admit that when Iggy went down I was very concerned about this teams' ability to even go .500 in his absence. That's still not guaranteed, but damn, 4-0 so far? 18 goals for? Honestly didn't see that coming, and I freakin' love it!

...btw, is the media up in Canada now talking about the Flames' offensive success this season (6th in the league, ***?) as much as they harped on their lack of it last season? I somehow doubt it.

Tont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Sec of Partying Down

No, Woodshed, they aren't really talking about it. I remember watching a Pierre Macguire segment a little while ago where he stated the Flames will have a tough time making the playoffs because they can't score. I've also seen a couple articles stating the same. Just a bit of lazy journalism I suspect. Everyone just goes by the assumption that the Flames can't score.

Sec of Partying Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Body Checker

Compared to last year it is almost unbelievable how much offense and offensive chances the Flames generate in one game.

One thing to keep in mind about last night was Colorado's 6 man D corps. There were no big names there but give the Flames credit for exposing that weakness.

So what is that - 14 goals in 3 games without Iggy???

One last comment - Phaneuf looked like a Norris trophy winner last night. Him and Crosby should have been in Turin last year.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 01:42 PM
chriss_co

despite being successful on the PP last year, the powerplay sucked...

we had difficulties setting the powerplay up on many occassions.. it just so happened that once we finally got set up, a big blast from dion would go into the net.. this year, dion has had even less time and space to blast it from the point, hence one of the reasons why we are statistically worse this year

still, the pp has looked horrible just like last year

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 01:45 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co View Post
still, the pp has looked horrible just like last year
I agree. At this point, I even prefer that the Flames are short-handed more, 'cause they seem to play better when they are. lol.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 06:13 PM
natural420*

Quote:

i think those four are the only ones that can do that, and so far they deserve the critism.

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:20 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural420 View Post
i think those four are the only ones that can do that, and so far they deserve the critism.
Well, Regehr has picked his game up lately, except on the pk. Kobasew has played well, he just hasn't scored. I wish him and Friesen would get it going with a goal or two. McCarty just isn't the physical presence we need. I like Goddard myself. Nothing against Darren but he is getting up there in years, and he is a middle weight at best.

Old
01-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Mielke83

Regehr bashers are you serious abracanada. Why??

Mielke83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:32 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mielke83 View Post
Regehr bashers are you serious abracanada. Why??
Well, in particular, the PK has been really bad and he gets more time on there than anyone. There have been times when he has not played up to his reputation.

Old
01-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Mielke83

Quote:
Well, in particular, the PK has been really bad and he gets more time on there than anyone. There have been times when he has not played up to his reputation.
Well tonight he is playing up to his reputation. I dont he cares about hitting anyone else other than Hemsky.

Mielke83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Flames4EVER

If Hempsky is in his way...then so be it....NAIL HIM AGAIN!

Flames4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:24 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mielke83 View Post
Well tonight he is playing up to his reputation. I dont he cares about hitting anyone else other than Hemsky.
The whole defense played better tonight. Regehr did his job. Hemsky was taken off his game.

By the way, FRIESEN got a goal. Great.....now he needs to go on a bit of a tear.

Old
01-15-2007, 11:10 AM
dubya

Quote:
The whole defense played better tonight. Regehr did his job. Hemsky was taken off his game.

By the way, FRIESEN got a goal. Great.....now he needs to go on a bit of a tear.
I'd disagree on Hemsky. Generally getting smoked doesn't seem to bother him. I'd say he wasn't effective because Regehr is good, not cuz he was off his game.

That said, Hemsky did knock Regehr off the puck to assist on the Oil's lone goal.

dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:54 PM
BlowPhish

Yeah I saw that one. Good on Hemsky Regehr isn't the easiest guy to move. What I'm liking about this team right now is Lombardi he's so exciting to watch. Well and Juice is fun too but there is nothing like speed to get me outta my seat. Someone said this is what we were seeing before he got the Hatcher elbow and I couldn't have said it any better. Really having fun watching the team right now.

BlowPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:

I don't know who you could possibly be referring to.

Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:50 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by icbites View Post
I don't know who you could possibly be referring to.

Are you sold on Langkow yet?

Old
01-23-2007, 09:41 AM
MVW

vCash: 50
Lets not forget about bashing Zyuzin.

No, but you do make good points. I started a thread on Firing Playfair and I changed my opinion on that. I do not think that is any coincidence that the Flames increase in their goal scoring is related to the coaching change and the difference in their philoshpies. Playfair allows the Flames more freedom in the offensive zone than Sutter did, not to say one is better than the other. Ultimately it comes down to wins v/s loses.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:10 AM
abracanada

For my money, this team has the potential to go a long way. Playfair wasn't an instant success, but in the last 7 road games, the Flames are .500. Their home record speaks for itself, best in the league. All this in spite of the fact that Kipper played below average for the first part of the year, and we lost our best offensive player for a lengthy stretch.

Not to say there aren't kinks to be ironed out. There still are. But I believe they will be ironed out, and this team is going places.

Old
01-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:

All the folks who are concerned with special teams and the overall record on the road - have to shut up.

Oh, scratch that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I started a thread on Firing Playfair and I changed my opinion on that. I do not think that is any coincidence that the Flames increase in their goal scoring is related to the coaching change and the difference in their philoshpies. Playfair allows the Flames more freedom in the offensive zone than Sutter did, not to say one is better than the other. Ultimately it comes down to wins v/s loses.
At least you took your mea culpa, but 15 games into the season is very inconclusive, especially when certain players are notoriously slow starters. Even at the time, that thread seemed way premature, but not nearly as bad as the trade proposals for Tanguay.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 10:18 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
All the folks who are concerned with special teams and the overall record on the road - have to shut up.

Oh, scratch that one.

You forgot the road record too. But still, at the beginning of the season, there was a lot of overreaction and panic. Still have a way to go though.

Old
01-28-2007, 12:54 PM
STAZE

1.) Confidence, they have proved to the NHL that they can win without Iggy.

2.) The re-emergence of Langkow

3.) Work ethic

STAZE is offline   Reply With Quote