Conroy back to Calgary?

Old
01-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The way Conroy has produced this year, they could have gotten him for less.
And you know this how?

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:13 PM
bob_the_fish

For a team that has a brutal PK - this is a big gain. He doesn't need to put the puck in the net often as long as the PK improves.

Besides, if he scores 5-10 goals in the next 35 games he's a much better return than Lundmark.

Now all that's needed is a depth (and consistant) D-man and some more speed on the right wing.

bob_the_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_the_fish View Post
For a team that has a brutal PK - this is a big gain. He doesn't need to put the puck in the net often as long as the PK improves.

Besides, if he scores 5-10 goals in the next 35 games he's a much better return than Lundmark.

Now all that's needed is a depth (and consistant) D-man and some more speed on the right wing.
If Conroy scores tomorrow then he will already have produced more than Lundmark. I'm sure his points will increase dramatically, regardless of the line he is on. Also, his -13 will obviously improve on Calgary. Look how many plus players we have compared to LA.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:28 PM
puck_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
Now maybe Ottawa will deal you McAmmond and you can reunite the big 3 from your big playoff run a few years back.
Too Bad McAmmond wasn't a part of that...

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Leaf_Crazy

man i just wanna see his post game interviews..

Leaf_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Mizral

Wow. Sutter ... I am astounded by this guy. He is always able to get something for nothing.

Lundmark was going nowhere, and well, a draft pick is nice and all, but ...

Craig Conroy - this guy can play hockey!

Sure he has had a bad year, and I can't say for sure if he'll have a good rest of the year either.

He will, however, he could be worth his weight in Californium come playoffs. Conroy, I always felt, was born to grind it out in 2nd periods of game #2 and 72. He has had big time scoring problems, but who knows, maybe playing with Iggy again could re-ignite his scoring ways?

Besides, can't hurt to find out. Even if he doesn't score he might turn out to be worth what the Flames gave up by his defensive play in the post-season!

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:26 PM
TheMedicineMan

Tanguay-Langkow/Conroy-Iggy
Huselius-Langkow/Conroy-Lombardi
Amonte-Yelle-Moss
Ritchie-Nilson-Godard/Kobasew(when healthy)

i REALLY like the look of these lines, gimme your opinions

Last edited by TheMedicineMan: 01-29-2007 at 09:24 PM.
TheMedicineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
This is a really good deal for the Flames. Gives them tons of flexibility in terms of line combos. Getting Conroy back helps the Flames biggest weaknesses right now; 3rd line scoring, penalty killing help, and help in the faceoff circle. Having Conroy and Yelle anchoring the PK units should give that unit a major boost.

I know lots of people will probably be clamouring for Iginla and Conroy to be re-united but I don't see it happening. Conroy I think was brought back here more for the intangibles he brings to the table, more than his offense. I'm sure the Flames expect him to chip in, but he won't be expected to carry the load. Langkow and Lombardi are our top 2 centers and I think it should stay that way.

Obviously Kobsaew's status will no doubt affect possible line combos, but I like the idea of having Moss-Conroy-Amonte as a 3rd line. Nilson-Yelle-Ritchie as a 4th? I don't think Sutter is totally done dealing yet. If he can add one more versitale winger (2nd or 3rd line type), this team should be in pretty good shape.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:31 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Conroy's penalty killing and general defensive talent is overrated. If he was so good at that he wouldn't have been on LA's 3rd line and losing PK minutes to Kopitar and Armstrong.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:36 PM
TheMedicineMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Conroy's penalty killing and general defensive talent is overrated. If he was so good at that he wouldn't have been on LA's 3rd line and losing PK minutes to Kopitar and Armstrong.
goodluck with lundmark L.A.

TheMedicineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 06:44 PM
CalgaryBlue

vCash: 1938
I know lots of people will probably be clamouring for Iginla and Conroy to be re-united but I don't see it happening. Conroy I think was brought back here more for the intangibles he brings to the table, more than his offense. I'm sure the Flames expect him to chip in, but he won't be expected to carry the load. Langkow and Lombardi are our top 2 centers and I think it should stay that way.

I completely agree. Do not expect the 04 Conroy .... this is a depth move not a move to get a top line player

CalgaryBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Tangs4President21212

Any guesses for tuesdays line combinations??

Tangs4President21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Osprey

Keep in mind that Dean Lombardi had a bit of leverage with the Northwest division being so tight. If Calgary wanted an edge on their division rivals, they would have to pay for it. Also, for all that we know, one or more NW rivals (particularly Vancouver) might've been in the bidding. Lombardi suggested that he had other offers on the table for Conroy. I doubt that Calgary could've gotten him for less.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Fred Durst

Not impressed with this deal. It's based on nostalgia, which is always a bad basis to trade on.

Fred Durst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Durst View Post
Not impressed with this deal. It's based on nostalgia, which is always a bad basis to trade on.
NHL GM's don't make deals based on nostalgia. What about this trade doesn't make the Flames better?

Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 07:48 PM
cgy#1faninvancouver

Tanguay-Conroy-Iginla
Hesulius-Langkow-Lombardi
Moss-Yelle-Kobasew
Friesen-Ritchie-Amonte

THAT IS LOOKING MIGHTY SWEET
All we need is a good D-MAN
LET'S GO FLAMES

cgy#1faninvancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:10 PM
boarderex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Durst View Post
You are probably the only person on earth that thinks Darryl Sutter would make a move based on nostalgia. I think this move is huge in that the Flames now have some legitimate options for configuring the lines. Prior to this there was really no pressure on the guys in the top 2 lines.

I think Conroy will have to earn a chance on the first line and maybe even the second. The top 2 lines have been doing well to this point and I don't think Conroy is by any means an obvious upgrade so it wouldn't be fair to Lombardi or Langkow to demote them for someone with 16 points.

Sutter did not overpay in this deal and the only question is what we will think about paying Conroy 2.5 million next year based on what he has done since coming back to Calgary. You have to be realistic and no team in the league would WANT to have Lundmark taking up any of their cap space. Realistically this is Conroy for a 2nd round pick and then LA agrees to take on Lundmarks salary in exchange for the 4th round pick.

boarderex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:19 PM
boarderex

I like the line combinations with Conroy and Amonte together.

Tanguay-Langkow-Iginla
Huselius-Lombardi-Kobasew
Amonte-Conroy-Nilson
Ritchie-Yelle-Moss

maybe switch Moss and Nilson... OR

Tanguay-Langkow-Huselius
Amonte-Conroy-Iginla
Moss-Lombardi-Kobasew
Ritchie-Yelle-Nilson

I think the best part is the chance to have a third line putting pucks in the net. The downfall with the second line is that it would be a very young line and you would normally like to see those guys playing with some experienced NHLers.

Old
01-29-2007, 08:27 PM
lfchockey*

Do you see Langkow's/Tanguay's point production to waiver a bit by the addition of another centre???

lfchockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Miko

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderex View Post
I like the line combinations with Conroy and Amonte together.

Tanguay-Langkow-Iginla
Huselius-Lombardi-Kobasew
Amonte-Conroy-Nilson
Ritchie-Yelle-Moss

I like the looks of those lines but i would switch Amonte and Nilson around.

I bet we'll see alot of different line combinations in the next couple of games.

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:46 PM
boarderex

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfchockey View Post
Do you see Langkow's/Tanguay's point production to waiver a bit by the addition of another centre???
Possibly. If so it would only be due to increased ice time for the third line though. That can't be a bad thing for a team hoping to go deep into the playoffs.

If you were implying Iggy playing with Conroy... I think that is by no means a no brainer. The first line will likely stay in tact.

Old
01-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Lunatik*

i think Lombardi will move to the 2nd line LW spot... Huselius slides into the RW spot on that line... and the top line from before the iginla injury will be reunited... especially if Kobasew is out much longer (i read on one of the boards he has an elbow injury now)... when Kobasew returns we would have several options when it comes to the 2nd and 3rd lines

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:48 PM
boarderex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
I like the looks of those lines but i would switch Amonte and Nilson around.

I bet we'll see alot of different line combinations in the next couple of games.
Trying Friesen with Conroy couldn't hurt too. It would atleast be worth a shot to see if they can find chemistry together.

Old
01-29-2007, 08:56 PM
scoringmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
Just heard (fan960)that Conroy is coming back to Calgary.Apparently for Jamie Lundmark.

Its a done deal.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=194096&hubname=nhl
Watch tsn or sportnest and you will know Conroy is now a Flames again. Conroy will fit nicely with the Flames. Put Conroy on the top line with Iginla and Alex Tanguay then have Kristian Huselius, Langkow and Stephane Yelle or Matthew Lombardi on the second line and for third line put Tony Amonte, Matthew Lombardi or Stephane Yelle and Marcus Nilson or Jeff Friesen and you will have three good lines. Jim Playfair should start off with line combination like this then he will have enough time to find the correct line chemistry before the playoff start. Glad Conroy is a Flame again and people who say Sutter did not like Conroy is wrong, Conroy left because he wanted to play for his hometown team.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
Watch tsn or sportnest and you will know Conroy is now a Flames again. Conroy will fit nicely with the Flames. Put Conroy on the top line with Iginla and Alex Tanguay then have Kristian Huselius, Langkow and Stephane Yelle or Matthew Lombardi on the second line and for third line put Tony Amonte, Matthew Lombardi or Stephane Yelle and Marcus Nilson or Jeff Friesen and you will have three good lines. Jim Playfair should start off with line combination like this then he will have enough time to find the correct line chemistry before the playoff start. Glad Conroy is a Flame again and people who say Sutter did not like Conroy is wrong, Conroy left because he wanted to play for his hometown team.
yeah its easier to get the info 6 hours later isnt it?... funny how that works

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote