HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Conroy back to Calgary?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2007, 09:23 PM
  #51
TheMedicineMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
i think that people forget that when conroy was on a line with iggy nobody scored more goals then iggy did. Also, guess who wanted this trade? that's right it's the one and only Jarome Iginla i wouldn't be suprised if langkow were to be bumped to the 2nd line for conroy and iggy hooking up again.

TheMedicineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:20 PM
  #52
Fred Durst
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
NHL GM's don't make deals based on nostalgia. What about this trade doesn't make the Flames better?
The cup push was four years ago, Conroy isn't the same player. At the same time, he's being paid much more and the Flames overpaid.

Fred Durst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:27 PM
  #53
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
If he performs just this season and gives Calgary a chance to win it, it was a good trade for the Flames. Craig has been terrible this year - very un-Craig like. He would take dumb penalties and he was always 2 strides behind. On defense, he had become a liability which is unheard of for someone like him.

Sometimes, changing venue is all it takes to give that spark - how long that spark will last is the question. I do believe Craig's best days are well behind him but he still can be "good enough" to help this Flames team. Now, if he catches fire and becomes the Conroy of 4 years ago, then I have to wonder what the hell he has been doing all season...

Craig is one of the good guys and nobody in their right mind would wish him anything but success.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:38 PM
  #54
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Durst View Post
The cup push was four years ago, Conroy isn't the same player. At the same time, he's being paid much more and the Flames overpaid.
I think we'll have to wait and see what he does with the Flames now before saying something like "the Flames overpaid." If Craig Conroy is only half the player he was in his last stint with Calgary, than this deal will be worth it, considering Jamie Lundmark was of no use whatsoever to us. Maybe becoming a Flame again is what Conroy needs to spark his career again, just like Los Angeles may very well turn out to be a better place for Lundmark than Calgary. Either way, this deal was good for both teams.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:00 PM
  #55
Fred Durst
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I think we'll have to wait and see what he does with the Flames now before saying something like "the Flames overpaid." If Craig Conroy is only half the player he was in his last stint with Calgary, than this deal will be worth it, considering Jamie Lundmark was of no use whatsoever to us. Maybe becoming a Flame again is what Conroy needs to spark his career again, just like Los Angeles may very well turn out to be a better place for Lundmark than Calgary. Either way, this deal was good for both teams.
The picks given up are what's key, not Lundmark. Picks in these types of deals tend to end up being important, key players. Murphy's Law.

Fred Durst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:08 PM
  #56
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Durst View Post
The picks given up are what's key, not Lundmark. Picks in these types of deals tend to end up being important, key players. Murphy's Law.
So if Conroy happens to get back into his groove with the Flames, you're telling me 2 draft picks wouldn't make this deal worth it? Maybe those picks will work out for the Kings, or maybe they won't. But we already know how well Conroy can gel with this team. Like I said, this deal was good for both teams. Every team takes a gamble when trading picks.


Last edited by StreakingRed: 01-29-2007 at 11:15 PM.
StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:20 PM
  #57
Fred Durst
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderex View Post
You are probably the only person on earth that thinks Darryl Sutter would make a move based on nostalgia. I think this move is huge in that the Flames now have some legitimate options for configuring the lines. Prior to this there was really no pressure on the guys in the top 2 lines.

I think Conroy will have to earn a chance on the first line and maybe even the second. The top 2 lines have been doing well to this point and I don't think Conroy is by any means an obvious upgrade so it wouldn't be fair to Lombardi or Langkow to demote them for someone with 16 points.

Sutter did not overpay in this deal and the only question is what we will think about paying Conroy 2.5 million next year based on what he has done since coming back to Calgary. You have to be realistic and no team in the league would WANT to have Lundmark taking up any of their cap space. Realistically this is Conroy for a 2nd round pick and then LA agrees to take on Lundmarks salary in exchange for the 4th round pick.
Actually that's extremely inaccurate. I made some calls to some connections I have in Calgary, Boston and Toronto that work in the industry and the consensus is that this deal does not make sense for Calgary. Also, there was whispering that this deal is more for revenues at the box rather than improving the lineup.

Fred Durst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:47 PM
  #58
Future_KLM_Pilot*
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Durst View Post
Not impressed with this deal. It's based on nostalgia, which is always a bad basis to trade on.
If, by 'nostalgia' you mean Jarome Iginla's nostalgia, then yes, you'd be correct. Darryl Sutter apparently isn't a big fan of Conroy, and neither am I to be quite honest. But if he can improve our PK - and win some faceoffs in the process - I'll be happy.

In a perfect world here's how I'd like to see the lines shape up: (but of course we all know we don't live in a perfect world)

Tanguay Conroy Iginla
Lombardi Langkow Huselius
Friesen Yelle Kobasew
Nilson Ritchie Amonte
McCarty

Regehr Phaneuf
Hamrlik Warrener
Ference Zyuzin
Giordano

Kiprusoff
McLennan

Conroy's going to wear #24 apparently in his second go-around in Calgary.


Last edited by Future_KLM_Pilot*: 01-29-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:58 PM
  #59
Miko
Registered User
 
Miko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
Watch tsn or sportnest and you will know Conroy is now a Flames again. Conroy will fit nicely with the Flames. Put Conroy on the top line with Iginla and Alex Tanguay then have Kristian Huselius, Langkow and Stephane Yelle or Matthew Lombardi on the second line and for third line put Tony Amonte, Matthew Lombardi or Stephane Yelle and Marcus Nilson or Jeff Friesen and you will have three good lines. Jim Playfair should start off with line combination like this then he will have enough time to find the correct line chemistry before the playoff start. Glad Conroy is a Flame again and people who say Sutter did not like Conroy is wrong, Conroy left because he wanted to play for his hometown team.
Wonderful insight champ .I wasn't sure if the trade was legit at first because i was listening to the fan960 and wasn't near the TV.

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:05 AM
  #60
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
I like the deal, I would have preferred a winger personally, but this deal certainly helps the Flames in face offs, and it can't hurt the PK (nothing really could at this point). Once Kobasew gets healthy this certainly gives Calgary plenty of options for lines, I don't see Langkow losing icetime to Conroy personally, it wouldn't make any sense to decrease his icetime at this point, he is playing fantastic.

The thing I like the most about this deal is that Conroy was a fantanstic leader here in Calgary and can hopefully bring that element again (maybe even wake the team up for some road games) As for Sutter or members of the team having problems with Conroy, thats just ramblings of people who needed a reason to blame Sutter for his departure, they differed on contractual issues, nothing more, nothing less.

As an aside, man Sutter deals second round picks like they're going out of style, I like that tatic though as I think 2nd rounders are overvalued and the Flames seem to be doing well at finding players in the third round, and frankly I don't think the odds of finding a player in the later second round are much different than anywhere in the third round.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:19 AM
  #61
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,623
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Durst View Post
Actually that's extremely inaccurate. I made some calls to some connections I have in Calgary, Boston and Toronto that work in the industry and the consensus is that this deal does not make sense for Calgary. Also, there was whispering that this deal is more for revenues at the box rather than improving the lineup.
Who the hell are these connections? The Saddledome is packed every night, we didn't need to make a deal to increase attendance nor would Sutter do that in the first place.

As for whether the deal makes sense:
-familiar with the system
-can play a checking role while still contributing offense
-a terrific locker room presence
-a great penalty killer

These are things the Flames needed, the fact that he is a player/fan favorite is a bonus.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:36 AM
  #62
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
The Saddledome is packed every night, we didn't need to make a deal to increase attendance nor would Sutter do that in the first place.

As for whether the deal makes sense:
-familiar with the system
-can play a checking role while still contributing offense
-a terrific locker room presence
-a great penalty killer

These are things the Flames needed, the fact that he is a player/fan favorite is a bonus.

Exactly.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 01:06 AM
  #63
TheMedicineMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
This will be the lineup for tomorrow nights game:

Tanguay-Langkow-Amonte
Huselius-Conroy-Lombardi
Friesen-Yell- Moss
Nilson-Ritchie- Godard

Ro. Regehr-Warrener
Ference-Giordano
Hamrlik-Phaneuf

http://www.calgaryflames.com/game_center/game_day.html

I assume that when iggy gets healthy he will move into the spot that amonte is taking up right now on the 1st line. Lombo will stay as a right winger for the rest of the season unless things don't work out and hopefully we can keep godard in the line up somehow by scratching ritchie/friesen and move amonte onto the 4th line LW and have nilson center it or swap out friesen for amonte.

TheMedicineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 01:36 AM
  #64
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucklehead123 View Post
This will be the lineup for tomorrow nights game:

Tanguay-Langkow-Amonte
Huselius-Conroy-Lombardi
Friesen-Yell- Moss
Nilson-Ritchie- Godard

Ro. Regehr-Warrener
Ference-Giordano
Hamrlik-Phaneuf

http://www.calgaryflames.com/game_center/game_day.html

I assume that when iggy gets healthy he will move into the spot that amonte is taking up right now on the 1st line. Lombo will stay as a right winger for the rest of the season unless things don't work out and hopefully we can keep godard in the line up somehow by scratching ritchie/friesen and move amonte onto the 4th line LW and have nilson center it or swap out friesen for amonte.
chances are tehy got LOmbardi and huselius backwards...a s Lombardi is also a left winger... adn Huselius plays both wings... no point in putting Lombardi in an unfamiliar position

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 01:41 AM
  #65
nuckfan insk
Registered User
 
nuckfan insk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: saskatoon Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 934
is sutter in the same mindset as burke ?
2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 2nd rounders all traded away ? (conroy tanguay, and kipper were good pick-ups mind you) but will the flames ever draft in round 2 again ?

nuckfan insk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 01:45 AM
  #66
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram View Post
is sutter in the same mindset as burke ?
2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 2nd rounders all traded away ? (conroy tanguay, and kipper were good pick-ups mind you) but will the flames ever draft in round 2 again ?
i think the 2nd rounders get moved because they carry decent value and they arent a 1st... i'm not sure who we sent our 2005 second rounder to... but all teh other 2nd have been worth moving IMO

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 02:25 AM
  #67
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,260
vCash: 500
FYI, according to the L.A. Times, Conroy is due $2.8M next year, up from this year's $2.4M. The cap hit is all that really matters, though, so it's probably not an issue.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 02:55 AM
  #68
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
NHL GM's don't make deals based on nostalgia. What about this trade doesn't make the Flames better?
The future, specifically a 2nd round pick in a deep draft (2008).

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 02:57 AM
  #69
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
Watch tsn or sportnest and you will know Conroy is now a Flames again. Conroy will fit nicely with the Flames. Put Conroy on the top line with Iginla and Alex Tanguay then have Kristian Huselius, Langkow and Stephane Yelle or Matthew Lombardi on the second line and for third line put Tony Amonte, Matthew Lombardi or Stephane Yelle and Marcus Nilson or Jeff Friesen and you will have three good lines. Jim Playfair should start off with line combination like this then he will have enough time to find the correct line chemistry before the playoff start. Glad Conroy is a Flame again and people who say Sutter did not like Conroy is wrong, Conroy left because he wanted to play for his hometown team.
The Kings are his hometown team???

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 07:44 AM
  #70
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
The future, specifically a 2nd round pick in a deep draft (2008).
a pick that wont make a difference in teh next 2 years you mean?... those 2 years being the window that the flames realistically must win during?... yeah you are right too steep of a price

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:23 AM
  #71
mac_82
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
a pick that wont make a difference in teh next 2 years you mean?... those 2 years being the window that the flames realistically must win during?... yeah you are right too steep of a price
exactly. we have our core team together for the remainder of this year, and next year. then we have a whole lot of people to resign, and only so much money to spend. regehr, huselius, langkow, kipper, iggy and phaneuf are all going to want big raises...

mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:03 AM
  #72
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,623
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
i think the 2nd rounders get moved because they carry decent value and they arent a 1st... i'm not sure who we sent our 2005 second rounder to... but all teh other 2nd have been worth moving IMO
The 2004 2nd Rounder was traded to Florida for Nilson, it was the '05 pick that was traded for Kipper.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:27 AM
  #73
Wags
Registered User
 
Wags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
The permutations for line combos are just crazy. I would love to see what Conroy could do for Moss' development.

Tanguay.Langkow.Iggy
Huselius.Lombardi.Kobasew
Amonte.Conroy.Moss
Ritchie.Yelle.Nilson
Friesen, Boyd, Godard, McCarty
I really like those line combos (although I wouldn't mind seeing Moss as the 2nd line RW)...I don't think we have seen the end of Sutter's moves. If McCarty is really done, I could see another depth move or a trade for a 2nd line RW.

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:40 AM
  #74
ArizonaGreenTea
Registered User
 
ArizonaGreenTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
One thing people haven't mentioned is the impact a player like Conroy will have on the PP, especially if he improves his offensive game for the remainder of the season. The Flames have a horrid record on the PP largely because they cannot get control of the puck in the offensive zone, and it's not like the Flames are lacking in players that have good (or spectacular) puck handling skills.

Conroy, just by having a better than 0.500 faceoff record, will give the team's PP a much needed boost. Overall, possesion should be far easier to maintain with a centerman who can win faceoffs.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:43 AM
  #75
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
good pick up for the flames, i think alittle overpayment based on conroy's performance so far this year, but conroy has proven he can excel with the set up the flames have there.

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.