HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Iginla Lost It????

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2003, 02:51 PM
  #1
Harry Paratestes
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Has Iginla Lost It????

Ive watched quite a few of the Flames games on the dish this year and i like your team .However i cant help but wonder how good you would be if Iginla and Conroy were moved for some proven offence .
I love Iginla but to me he looks like hes lost it ..i mean i dont think he would even make Canadas roster if the Olympics were this year .And with his high salary , the Flames would have to option him at what 8.2 next yer ??//Can they afford that for basically a 20 goal scorer .
Aside from running over Cloutier last nite he did nothing to show me hes ready to break out ..what do you Flame fans think. I actually think you have a better chance at the playoffs than the under achieving Oilers do (my team ) sorry .

 
Old
11-30-2003, 05:42 PM
  #2
ForeignFlame
Registered User
 
ForeignFlame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Too far from the Sad
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Paratestes
I love Iginla but to me he looks like hes lost it ..i mean i dont think he would even make Canadas roster if the Olympics were this year .And with his high salary , the Flames would have to option him at what 8.2 next yer ??//Can they afford that for basically a 20 goal scorer .
I think Iginla would need to be qualified at $7 million, as his salary is above the league average.

There has, however, been speculation that Iginla would be willing to sign an extention for less than that. Whether there's much truth to that, who knows?

ForeignFlame is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 08:41 PM
  #3
vega007
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary/Boston
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Iginla is the face of the Flames. Every time he's on the ice there's two or three guys closing him down and hanging off his equipment. Give him a break. It's just a matter of time before the goals start flowing again.

vega007 is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 08:45 PM
  #4
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,281
vCash: 500
I don't know, I hope next time they can get him a bit cheaper, I've heard those rumors too ForeignFlame. But really I wouldn't trade him for the world (well you know what I mean, but the deal would have to bowl me over). I just think he is great no matter what the goal column says. I hope Sutter feels the same way, cause he chooses this not me. Put me down for not wanting him to ever be dealt.

kruezer is offline  
Old
11-30-2003, 09:04 PM
  #5
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega007
Iginla is the face of the Flames. Every time he's on the ice there's two or three guys closing him down and hanging off his equipment. Give him a break. It's just a matter of time before the goals start flowing again.
Forwards half his size have the same problem. That's no excuse. There isn't the inferior linemates excuse either. Palffy gets the job done with AHL centers setting him up. I was willing to give him a pass for most of last season on account of him fighting injuries--he has no such pass this season.

I don't mind saying I've been terribly disappointed in Jarome this season. He's been completely invisible except for the times he runs at the goalie or picks a fight. I was hoping the Flames under Sutter would be far better than this and that Darryl would bring out the best in Iginla. This team lives and dies by his play, and right now, he's killing them. As much as we've seen pleasant surprises such as Matthew Lombardi, Iginla is indeed the face of this team. He's also the heart and soul of this team, and they'll never improve until he WAKES UP. :mad:

Av-merican is offline  
Old
12-01-2003, 05:15 AM
  #6
reg dunlop
Registered User
 
reg dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: calgary
Posts: 527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
Forwards half his size have the same problem. That's no excuse. There isn't the inferior linemates excuse either. Palffy gets the job done with AHL centers setting him up. I was willing to give him a pass for most of last season on account of him fighting injuries--he has no such pass this season.

I don't mind saying I've been terribly disappointed in Jarome this season. He's been completely invisible except for the times he runs at the goalie or picks a fight. I was hoping the Flames under Sutter would be far better than this and that Darryl would bring out the best in Iginla. This team lives and dies by his play, and right now, he's killing them. As much as we've seen pleasant surprises such as Matthew Lombardi, Iginla is indeed the face of this team. He's also the heart and soul of this team, and they'll never improve until he WAKES UP. :mad:
he doesnt seem to play with a lot of passion for a "power forward", when is the last time anyone saw him drive the net. he plays the outside perimeter game right now, he wont score too many goals shooting from the boards... i agree it is not his linemates, good players can play with almost anyone. a huge disappointment.

reg dunlop is offline  
Old
12-01-2003, 08:46 AM
  #7
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop
he doesnt seem to play with a lot of passion for a "power forward", when is the last time anyone saw him drive the net. he plays the outside perimeter game right now, he wont score too many goals shooting from the boards... i agree it is not his linemates, good players can play with almost anyone. a huge disappointment.
Watch the 'Nuck game, it was his best 'powerforward' game of the year, no matter how overrated that way of thinking can be.

kruezer is offline  
Old
12-01-2003, 11:14 AM
  #8
Zhackpot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
I've said it before and I'll say it again. until recently Iginla was just not skating hard in the offensive zone. If he proves he can do it consistently and not just for two games in a row then my assessment might change. In my mind his play has been below average.

Zhackpot is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 06:12 AM
  #9
Sec of Partying Down
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
The offense will come, Iginla is just way too talented for it not to. He has been getting chances it's just a matter of time before some start going in.

Sec of Partying Down is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 05:49 PM
  #10
vega007
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary/Boston
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Iginla breaks out of his slump with a breakaway goal at the 'Dome.

vega007 is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 05:58 PM
  #11
Sec of Partying Down
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Needs more than one goal to break out of his slump.

Sec of Partying Down is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 06:48 PM
  #12
Big Deaner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_IN_LV
Needs more than one goal to break out of his slump.
How about an assist on an empty netter as well?


Big Deaner is offline  
Old
12-02-2003, 10:41 PM
  #13
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,802
vCash: 500
Secondarily I'm a Flames fan, but I do think Jarome Iginla is overrated. He is a 30 goal guy but not a 7-8 million dollar player in my opinion.

Reign Nateo is offline  
Old
12-03-2003, 07:03 AM
  #14
Redrum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
I disagree, I think he could score 50 again. Look how many chances he gets, it's hard to believe he only has 5 goals.

Redrum is offline  
Old
12-04-2003, 06:52 AM
  #15
reg dunlop
Registered User
 
reg dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: calgary
Posts: 527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon
I disagree, I think he could score 50 again. Look how many chances he gets, it's hard to believe he only has 5 goals.
it doesnt matter how many chances he gets, he doesnt bury them. i am a flames fan, and he is very overrated. 1 good year does not a superstar make.. when iginla had that breakout year, so did bertuzzi and naslund. difference being that naslund and bertuzzi continue to evolve and show that it is not a 1 year wonder... iginla might be the greatest guy around, but he is not even close to that 50 goal player of 2 years ago..... if the RIGHT deal came by, i would think they would have to trade him...

reg dunlop is offline  
Old
12-04-2003, 08:09 AM
  #16
Sec of Partying Down
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop
it doesnt matter how many chances he gets, he doesnt bury them. i am a flames fan, and he is very overrated. 1 good year does not a superstar make.. when iginla had that breakout year, so did bertuzzi and naslund. difference being that naslund and bertuzzi continue to evolve and show that it is not a 1 year wonder... iginla might be the greatest guy around, but he is not even close to that 50 goal player of 2 years ago..... if the RIGHT deal came by, i would think they would have to trade him...
Wrong. Iginla has the talent to score 50 again, and will score 50 again. He scored 20 goals in 20 games last year. He is just a streaky player and goes through slumps and then gets unbelievably hot.

Sec of Partying Down is offline  
Old
12-04-2003, 09:12 AM
  #17
reg dunlop
Registered User
 
reg dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: calgary
Posts: 527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man
He can score 50 if anyone else can.
i know he is streaky, but 50 goals gain, i dont think so... i think he will finish with about 30-32 goals... make your prediction. a good player, but not a superstar.. superstars are not this streaky..

reg dunlop is offline  
Old
12-04-2003, 09:13 AM
  #18
looooob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop
it doesnt matter how many chances he gets, he doesnt bury them. i am a flames fan, and he is very overrated. 1 good year does not a superstar make.. when iginla had that breakout year, so did bertuzzi and naslund. difference being that naslund and bertuzzi continue to evolve and show that it is not a 1 year wonder... iginla might be the greatest guy around, but he is not even close to that 50 goal player of 2 years ago..... if the RIGHT deal came by, i would think they would have to trade him...
a few counterpoints to that might be that Bertuzzi and Naslund are both at least a few years older than Iginla, and they have each other to feed off of.I'm pretty sure if you looked at all 3 up to age 26(Iginla's current age), then Iginla has the best numbers.

Having said that it's been a worrisome trend for Iginla since his 'breakout year' and I'm not disputing he's currently overpaid for the production he has brought to the table this year.

I just have this feeling that by the time Iginla's career is over , he won't be looked at as a 30 goal guy who had 'one good year'....he's got more left in him....will they be in Calgary though?

looooob is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 06:56 PM
  #19
Harry Paratestes
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Looks like Iggy might be going on one of his tears ..5 points up on the Oil.

 
Old
12-05-2003, 07:05 PM
  #20
vega007
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary/Boston
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
All the nay sayers and doubters can shut it, he's on a roll. This guy is the face of our team, show him some respect or he'll go ahead and sign with another team.

vega007 is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 07:19 PM
  #21
calder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
I honestly believe Iggy has it in him to get another 45 goal/90 point season or two, but I do think it was a bit of a fluke that he won the scoring title. He'll put up great numbers like that again, but while I think he is (and will be again) a top 10 scorer he's not a pure enough offensive player to be a true Art Ross candidate except for that one year where it all fell together.

He's definitely heating up though, just in time keep the Flames excellent play going. It's probably not realistic to expect guys like Donovan to keep scoring like they have been (or Kipper to only let in 1 goal most nights), so if Iggy does get on a roll like he did the last half of last year the Flames should be able to keep up their winning ways.

For the first time in a decade I feel like this Flames team can find a way to win consistently. This team can come back from behind, they can win a tough, bruising defensive game with hustle, they can score in bunches every now and then. Things are really looking up, and I'm sure there will be the odd losing streak and bad game of course I am starting to get to the point where I expect rather than hope the Flames win more games than they lose.

calder is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 09:42 PM
  #22
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,281
vCash: 500
Did anyone else read this article?

http://www.calgaryflames.com/cgi-bin...num=0000000025

"We are in the toughest division in hockey and we have 24 games in that division," noted Sutter. "But we are going to fight like hell to be one of the teams in the playoffs. That's our promise. It's not always going to be smooth sailing. But it is going to work. Believe me."

I really agree with Sutter on this one, I couldn't have put it better myself

kruezer is offline  
Old
12-07-2003, 09:00 PM
  #23
ModestoFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: And the fascination never ends...
Posts: 670
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ModestoFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Did anyone else read this article?

http://www.calgaryflames.com/cgi-bin...num=0000000025

"We are in the toughest division in hockey and we have 24 games in that division," noted Sutter. "But we are going to fight like hell to be one of the teams in the playoffs. That's our promise. It's not always going to be smooth sailing. But it is going to work. Believe me."

I really agree with Sutter on this one, I couldn't have put it better myself
As a longtime SJ fan, and inducted in Sutter philosophy as such, Iggy's numbers will drop. In fact, the team as a whole MIGHT score less. Nolan is perfect example of a PF under Sutter.

That said, I really kind of envy all of you. Sutter is a very good coach, and what he will continue to do is make players play TOUGH. If Calgary as a team buys into his system, you will make the playoffs. You have a good tender in Kiprusoff, and a decent line-up...and one heck of a coach.

Get ready for good, tough games, many of which you will win.

NOTE: It's no suprise to me, that Calgary is doing well. Now that the team has a keeper that can win for them, they'll be able to play more confident in Sutters bang and crach style. You beat us (SJ) te other night because of that alone.

I'll be watching...and smiling for ya

ModestoFan is offline  
Old
12-08-2003, 08:34 AM
  #24
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestoFan
As a longtime SJ fan, and inducted in Sutter philosophy as such, Iggy's numbers will drop. In fact, the team as a whole MIGHT score less. Nolan is perfect example of a PF under Sutter.

That said, I really kind of envy all of you. Sutter is a very good coach, and what he will continue to do is make players play TOUGH. If Calgary as a team buys into his system, you will make the playoffs. You have a good tender in Kiprusoff, and a decent line-up...and one heck of a coach.

Get ready for good, tough games, many of which you will win.

NOTE: It's no suprise to me, that Calgary is doing well. Now that the team has a keeper that can win for them, they'll be able to play more confident in Sutters bang and crach style. You beat us (SJ) te other night because of that alone.

I'll be watching...and smiling for ya
I can really agree, I still expect Iginla to put up the best numbers on the team, but they certainly won't be as high as before IMO. Maybe he can hang 'round 35-40 goals though. I am really happy to see some toughness for a change, I was sick of heartless hockey. I expect Sutter to become full-time GM in a couple of years, when its time for a new voice in the locker-room.

kruezer is offline  
Old
12-08-2003, 08:47 AM
  #25
Sec of Partying Down
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I can really agree, I still expect Iginla to put up the best numbers on the team, but they certainly won't be as high as before IMO. Maybe he can hang 'round 35-40 goals though. I am really happy to see some toughness for a change, I was sick of heartless hockey. I expect Sutter to become full-time GM in a couple of years, when its time for a new voice in the locker-room.
I think we could see Playfair take over as early as next year.

Sec of Partying Down is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.