HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery - would you?

View Poll Results: Sean Avery - would you?
The Bruins need him, he is pretty good, I'd deal a 2nd round pick for him 31 39.24%
He's a major distraction but the team has to have somebody like him, for 2nd rounder 6 7.59%
I'd take him at a low price 22 27.85%
I hate him, we're better off without him 20 25.32%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-29-2007, 09:55 PM
saskbruin44*
Stanley Cup Champs

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to saskbruin44*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
That might tax her acting "talent."
she likes horror films.....perfect! the b's are horrid and we'll let her wear a tank top with a placecard asking "who do you want pun'ked next on the b's?"

saskbruin44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:33 PM
13Hockey
Champs! Thank U B's!

I'd take him it would give this team so much more toughness that they must have and it would make the games alot more fun to watch.

13Hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Bruinaholic

Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
id def take him....i guess for a 2nd
But hes the kinda guy where u almost need a legit heavy to protect him
Ideal 3rd-4th line center(not sure of his face off skills though)

Bruinaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:04 PM
McMahonCHN

Honestly I would take Sean Avery ... he would make things somewhat exciting again!

I wouldn't deal a second round pick for him, but a late-round pick or some low-level prospect.

He would bring some grit to the team, not to mention he has some skill. He is one of the few "enforcers" that can stick around in the new NHL because he can play.

I think he would be upset if a game like tonight was going down as well. To be honest with you, the Bruins were getting their tails kicked in tonight and they didn't seem to care.

Something needs to be done to light a fire under them. I understand that we are not playoff contenders this year, but tonight's effort was deplorable.

McMahonCHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Primakov!

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I'd chime in as a Kings fan. He isn't quite as bad as some media outlets would like to make him out to be -- he won't breathe fire and eat your children -- though I'm sure some, especially Brian Hayward of the Ducks, would argue the contrary...

Avery is fiery and emotional, and at times, that leads directly to his mouth saying stuff it really shouldn't and the media eats it up. As far as passion on the ice goes? Yeah, he's got it.

His "antics" are well documented and it's difficult for him to shed the perception he's rightly earned himself, but when it came down to it and Dean Lombardi told him to either shape up or ship out, he did exactly as he was told. He cut down on the stupid penalties and has focused more on playing the game right with good results (52 Games -- 10G, 16A).

I know some of you are worried about his PIMs, but if you look at the game logs, 41 minutes came in chunks of three games where he picked up a 10 minute misconduct in each one. Take those out and he'd only have 73 PIM -- no worse than Chara or Mara. I'm not going to blow smoke and say he hasn't taken stupid penalties this year, but come on, every team has had a player do that throughout the course of a season.

As far as physical play, even with a 5'9" frame he throws his weight around recklessly by hitting corners and crashing the net. He takes the body (58 hits -- almost 20 more than Primeau) and gives it up on shots (20 blocks), so he's at least willing.

Avery is not going to blow too many pucks by goalies with a rocket shot or paint the corners with a lethal sniper's touch. That doesn't stop him from trying (154 shots on goal). He will more successfully, however, camp out in front of the net and look to bang home a goal from 10 feet on in.

He has surprising quickness (one of the fastest on the team) that he's shown on the PK often enough with good results. He'd probably have 4~5 more goals if his hands were better... Avery's speed also let's him get to a lot of loose pucks and win foot races, so if you have guys that crash the net they might have a chance as he tends to whip the puck through the slot, looking for deflections.

So all in all? Emotional, physical player with decent wheels and offensive game. If you can keep a short leash on him he'd be an asset -- we've got Norstrom and Blake with stalls on either side of him in the locker room to "mentor" him and we've pretty much limited the media contact. So far so good this season.

Last edited by Primakov!: 01-29-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:29 AM
flannelman
quixotic fox!

vCash: 50
Look- Avery can be really rash, and say and do a lot of bad things, however, it'll get fans involved (regardless of what they feel). Pest? Energy forward? At least he checks and throws fisticuffs (not great, but better than nothing). But I don't think he would do well with the Media in Boston, though he has been better this year. A second rounder is fair, but he could be a big distraction.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:34 AM
remer

We don't need a big distraction or someone who takes stupid penalties or someone who recks team chemistry.
Why do you people think L.A. wants to get rid of him. He is nothing but trouble.
Stay away and don't be ridiculous with wanting him here.
There are many other better options.
Let this rest.
NO! NO! NO!

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:49 AM
flannelman
quixotic fox!

vCash: 50
OK- I wouldl love to hear some of the other options we have? Torres? Tucker (UFA)?

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:55 AM
stick9

The only question I have is - why?

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:55 AM
OntheBorder555

At least he would make the games entertaining!

OntheBorder555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:04 AM
MadDagoBU

Ugh...I voted 'for a low price' and I instantly felt dirty.

He's a punk, and exactly the kind of player I don't like, but the Bruins need some one to stir stuff up. If he could be had for a real low price, yeah.

But nothing before a 3rd round pick, and certainly not for one of the prospects.

MadDagoBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:09 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
We don't need a big distraction or someone who takes stupid penalties or someone who recks team chemistry.
Why do you people think L.A. wants to get rid of him. He is nothing but trouble.
Stay away and don't be ridiculous with wanting him here.
There are many other better options.
Let this rest.
NO! NO! NO!
Team chemistry? I don't think we have any for Avery to wreck?

Seriously, the guy is a bit of a punk, but I would trade for him. Not sure about a 2nd though?

Saw some rumors about Marty LaPointe returning to the B's. He is not the instigator that Avery is, but he is a hard-nosed, "face wash", type player, and unlike Avery, LaPointe's reputation is spotless and his value as a mentor and teammate could be invaluable to a team in search of an identity, like the B's

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:12 AM
8baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
I think the Bruins have to have somebody like him. He hits, he fights, he scores some goals (probably 12-18 per year), he is a pest. Maybe he is trouble, I don't know. But he's probably one of the better options of his variety on the market. For a 2nd rounder? I'd absolutely do it.

At 5'9" or so, he will not neutralize Chris Neil or McGrattan. But he would make their other players look over their shoulder the way ours look out for guys like Neil.

I think the Bruins need him and if he can be had, for a 2nd rounder or as part of a larger deal, I think they need him more than most teams in the league. You can only get so far with the "good guys, great game" crap. I don't care if somebody is put out in the locker room by Avery. On the ice, I'd be more interested to watch him than probably 8 of our current 12 forwards.
Neil is a sook too when other players nail him back.Hes not that good a fighter anyways.

8baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:14 AM
8baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post

Seriously, the guy is a bit of a punk, but I would trade for him. Not sure about a 2nd though?

Saw some rumors about Marty LaPointe returning to the B's. He is not the instigator that Avery is, but he is a hard-nosed, "face wash", type player, and unlike Avery, LaPointe's reputation is spotless and his value as a mentor and teammate could be invaluable to a team in search of an identity, like the B's
I'm sick of Bruns trading two and tree times for players they already had like LaPointe,Same crap with Stumpel.You end up losing a player for nothing doing things like that plus it makes the whole organization look like it has no clue.Although Bruins are that already I guess.

8baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:31 AM
MadDagoBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post

Yeah the idea of trading Stuart for Lapointe is not a happy one, but we could definitely use Marty here. His fire and leadership are two things we're lacking right now.

MadDagoBU is offline   Reply With Quote