Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fan Interest

Old
01-30-2007, 09:56 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

vCash: 500
I have lost interest in this team as well.
I let go of the big bad Bruin dreams, in hope that we were going to be one of those fast teams that always beat us in the playoffs (a la the Habs). But even those teams played with emotion and heart. This team is lifeless.

I don't know if it's the new NHL, or just this team, but I rarely go out of my way to watch a hockey game anymore. I will put the Bruins on, but if they are playing flat, I usually just tool around on the computer while the game is on. It's very sad.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
PurpleShamrock

Funny that this thread was started right about now. After watching a painful first period last night, I started listening to the second period on the radio while driving to a pickup game in Concord. But after the Rangers potted a shorthanded strike (the league leading eleventh shorthanded goal the B's have allowed this year ) to make it 4-1, a funny thing happened: For the first time I can ever remember, I lost interest in the game and switched to another station. I used to stay tuned right up until the final buzzer, even if it was a blowout, because there was a time when this team would've at least gone down fighting -- literally as well as figuratively. At this point, however, I've grown weary of watching them go down with a whimper.

PurpleShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:53 AM
PurpleShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankMan View Post
I fully agree. Bettman and Co. decided to make the NHL like the NBA and make it as popular (though interest in the NBA is not like it was in the 80s). The die-hard fan is being alienated. There is too much music and Jumbotron, and not enough traditional, smash-mouth hockey.

I have to believe that the Bruins in the Boston area are the least popular than they've ever been in their entire history. I came of age during the Orr era, but from what I've read, the Bruins were even popular during the pre-Orr losing years of the early 1960s. Even when the Bruins franchise started in the 1920s, Boston was considered a hockey town as indicated by the fact that the NHL's first American franchise succeeded and endured. Now I'm not sure if Boston can be considered hockey town any longer.

After last night's debacle, this fan losing interest in the Bs.
AHL hockey and college hockey still seem to be pretty popular around here, and kids and adults alike are still playing the sport in droves, so I think Boston can still be considered a hockey town. That said, I'd have to agree with your statement that the Bruins are probably the least popular they've ever been throughout their history. I think frustration with management's bungling, and the subsequent lack of results on the ice are part of it. But so, too, is the price of a ticket, which is beyond exorbitant, especially in the loge section. (The fact that there are no games on free TV anymore, aside from the occasional NBC telecast, doesn't help their cause either.) Finally, as you and others have so astutely pointed out, many fans -- both in Boston and elsewhere -- have been put off by the Bettmanization (how's that for a neologism?) of the NHL. I would submit that Bettman has succeeded in making the NHL like the NBA: In a nutshell, what had been an exciting game has now been turned into a bland, watered-down product, which has been rendered all but unwatchable to all but the most diehard fans of the sport. And it happened under his watch.

Old
01-30-2007, 11:39 AM
BlueAndGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShamrock View Post
AHL hockey and college hockey still seem to be pretty popular around here, and kids and adults alike are still playing the sport in droves, so I think Boston can still be considered a hockey town. ...
If the NHL continues on its current path, NHL hockey could end up being like soccer in this county, where tons of kids and even adults play the sport, but this participation does not translate into interest in the MLS. My 13-year-old son played soccer for years (before switching to football), but had zero interest in the Revolution. I think I see the same thing among his youth hockey pals. They love playing the game, but give little thought to the Bruins. When I was a kid, the Bruins were gods. I didn't play hockey, but a lot of my friends did, and we never missed a game (on free TV).

As for the AHL, I think you're right, they do have a good fan base. When I've gone to the Lowell Lockmonster (now the Devils) games, I saw the sort of fans I used to see at Bruins games. They are totally passionate about their team, but they don't seem very interested in the Bruins.

BlueAndGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:52 AM
PurpleShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankMan View Post
If the NHL continues on its current path, NHL hockey could end up being like soccer in this county, where tons of kids and even adults play the sport, but this participation does not translate into interest in the MLS.
Ruefully, I have to concur. Why the guy running the league apparently can't see that, admittedly, is a bit of a mystery to me.

Old
01-30-2007, 11:52 AM
bastone

Everyone lost interest in this team.You should all go to the next Habs home game and wear a Habs Jersey so that managemnt can notice and maybe Jacobs would sell the team

Anyways for me I barelly watched any Bruins game.I have not gone here in the 2 times there were in town(I never use to miss a game here) I always went to Ottawa at least once a year with some buddies to catch the Bruins there and now forget it.I even asked my friend last week if he wanted to go last Saturday and he laughed at me.To all the people that think hockey is getting boring do like me,I now only watch the Penguins games.Win or lose they are really fun to watch

bastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:54 AM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
Yeah, this is like '96. However, in '96 we had players who actually seemed to care enough to put up a fight and had a little pride.

The '96 team had Rick Tocchet (one of the NHLs truly great players), Dean Chynoweth, Jeff Odgers, Troy Mallette, Dean Malkoc, Kevin Sawyer, Andre Roy, Steve Staios, etc., etc, etc,.

My point is that at least that team had *something* going for it with the toughness.

This "team" (snicker) has to be the most passionless, grit-free, emotionless, boring, sorry bunch of losers ever assembled.
Those guys were playing because the B's were trying to win the Thornton sweepstakes.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote