Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whats happened to Toivunen?

Old
01-29-2007, 08:22 PM
PapaBear*

vCash: 500
Whats happened to Toivunen?

I thought this guy was the projected future #1 goalie for you guys? So much potential (with the likes of Lehtonen, MAF), and he was sent down early this year and for the most part has been backup to Thomas with only 9 games under his belt this year. has thomas become the #1? Will Hannu be given another shot or be traded in the summer?

PapaBear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:31 PM
dead_golem

Send a message via AIM to dead_golem
Toivonen missed pretty much the last half of the season last year with a bad ankle. He started slowed, had a few bad outings and was pretty inconsistent to start the year. They sent him down because timmy was starting every single game and he wasn't getting in, and he got hurt in the minors which extended his stay. He then came up and mostly sat on the bench again, played yo-yo going down in between games but coming back up to play backup (rather than phil sauve) in January, and then started our last 2 games before the all star break and looked pretty good.

Hopefully he's turning it around. My personal feeling is his value has to be rather low now so moving him anytime soon would be rather silly. I think the team will hold on to him and hope he can bounce back from a tough start.

Timmy has definitely become the #1 goalie, and for a time earlier this season he was playing phenomenal. The whole team has played pretty poorly since christmas giving up 4.4 goals per game regardless of the goalie, though it would be fair to say that Thomas has cooled somewhat since his hot stretch in November-December.

Last edited by dead_golem: 01-29-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added bit about timmy
dead_golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Waltah*

people spell his name wrong and in turn, hurts his confidence.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:52 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
He's been taking goaltending lessons from Tim Thomas.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Here's a succint scouting report on him right now:

Strengths: (Butthead voice) Uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh...huh huh huh

Weaknesses: Stopping the puck

I'd love to see him get it together, but the things he's consistently done poorly this year continue on in perpetuity. He's obviously not playing with confidence, and when his teammates see him giving up goals on his knees all the time, it's got to destroy their confidence in him as well.

He had a chance to stop the bleeding tonight and promptly allowed the goal to make it 4-1 on what was an imminently stoppable shot.

He's simply got to do better- like everyone else on the team after a game like this one. F's across the board.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:19 PM
DarrenBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
He had a chance to stop the bleeding tonight and promptly allowed the goal to make it 4-1 on what was an imminently stoppable shot.
I don't know about that, Cullen was 10 feet out, no one near him, as an NHLer he should be putting that home, and the shot was nasty, as far top corner as top corner can be.

I think half his problem is who's shooting on him in practice, the B's excel at hitting the crest of the shirt, that's probably what he's expecting.

DarrenBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBanks View Post
I don't know about that, Cullen was 10 feet out, no one near him, as an NHLer he should be putting that home, and the shot was nasty, as far top corner as top corner can be.

I think half his problem is who's shooting on him in practice, the B's excel at hitting the crest of the shirt, that's probably what he's expecting.
He was on his knees before Cullen even had the puck on his stick!

Great shot yes, but nothing like the goaltender giving him nothing but the top of the net to hit.

Toivonen could have stopped that shot. It was a two-goal game at that point and he had the chance to give the team a lift with a big save. Instead, he's deep in the net and on his knees and bang- 4-1. Sorry- no free passes here.

Old
01-29-2007, 10:29 PM
DarrenBanks

Quote:
He was on his knees before Cullen even had the puck on his stick!
I'll agree there, he's down to early to often, with that said, I would like to see HT get a majority of the playing time for the next few weeks, see how he handles it. It's time to see whether he can get back to where he was before the injury last year. The playing once every two weeks doesn't give him an opportunity to get on a roll.

DarrenBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBanks View Post
I'll agree there, he's down to early to often, with that said, I would like to see HT get a majority of the playing time for the next few weeks, see how he handles it. It's time to see whether he can get back to where he was before the injury last year. The playing once every two weeks doesn't give him an opportunity to get on a roll.
I won't disagree there, but he was given the opportunity tonight to show something, and succeeded only in creating more doubt/consternation.

He's a great kid who works hard and has the right attitude, but that only gets you so far. You still have to make the saves and produce.

Old
01-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Saintsgoale30

Send a message via AIM to Saintsgoale30
I don't know about anyone else but it almost seemed as if Toivonen was extremely unprepared to play tonight. I mean he did get sent in cold but it seems that with every back to back start he gains confidence which was shown in the pitt and ottawa games I can only think him not starting one of the last two games really digressed his confidence and he was beginning to loose his mechanics again. Dave Lewis needs to play him consistantly the team isnt going to make the play-offs give Toivo time and show him that you have confidence in him and I guarentee we will see Toivo the top prospect re-emrge

Saintsgoale30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 11:06 PM
LoveoftheBruins

Quote:
I won't disagree there, but he was given the opportunity tonight to show something, and succeeded only in creating more doubt/consternation.

He's a great kid who works hard and has the right attitude, but that only gets you so far. You still have to make the saves and produce.

But the play in front of him by the D and Forwards can't be a confidence builder either for both goalies.

LoveoftheBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:23 AM
Dirtywater

I am not claiming to be any kind of expert, just a fan, but before the All-Star game hiatus, HT gave Rob Simpson a post-game interview and poor Hannu couldn't even lift his eyes for more than 2 seconds at a time. Just looked like he had zero confidence.

I too though he was the future, and hopefully he still is, but the body language scared me. Then again, I'm an idiot so I could be wrong.

Dirtywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:43 AM
bb_fan

just got back from the game,,,,, my thoughts...

i've watched alot of games on the tube,, refuse to pay that kinda money for the on ice product.... (free tickets, corporate luxuary box)

Thomas had one soft goal (five Hole) after they pulled him, the team was dead.

there was no support for toivy.

the most he got was alberts drilling Nylander ( i think it was him) into the net, and almost taking toivys head off.

this team is gonna kill him , plain and simple, like it has so many other good goalies.

Chistov, in my opinion, must go, and anywhere.

always gave him the benny of the doubt, but after watching him go into the corner short handed, and essentially refuse physical contact , and the rangers score short handed..... f him, and anyone else thta doesnt show up to play at this point.

they brought the little kids out between periods, and the only Bruisn highlightsu saw all night were clips from 7-10 year olds. How ******* pathetic is that???

not beinr a parent, i got a kick out of of the kids playing, till one of the guys i was with (a parent) pointed out the fact that they didnt care about the puck, they were just creaming each other, and to be honest, after talking tohim for a minute, and watching these kids, i gpot a bit nervous too,,, i mean they were drilling each other.

this entire Bruins team lacks heart.

Toivy has talent, but i would imagine its hard to be the shining light on a sinking ship.

and all those that blast Mara,,, he was the only bruin on two occasions that i saw to look for a scrap with someone on the other team.

Chara does what he needs to, and nobody in there right mind is gonna drop the gloves iwth him, so i cant blame him for not scrapping.... but everyone else on the roster can go to hell until they realize they are supposed to be hockery players.

and for the record, the penalty shot was a crap call, and so was the call on mara afterwards.

i can see why the nhl is losing fans and not winning them.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:51 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
just got back from the game,,,,, my thoughts...

i've watched alot of games on the tube,, refuse to pay that kinda money for the on ice product.... (free tickets, corporate luxuary box)

Thomas had one soft goal (five Hole) after they pulled him, the team was dead.

there was no support for toivy.

the most he got was alberts drilling Nylander ( i think it was him) into the net, and almost taking toivys head off.

this team is gonna kill him , plain and simple, like it has so many other good goalies.

Chistov, in my opinion, must go, and anywhere.

always gave him the benny of the doubt, but after watching him go into the corner short handed, and essentially refuse physical contact , and the rangers score short handed..... f him, and anyone else thta doesnt show up to play at this point.

they brought the little kids out between periods, and the only Bruisn highlightsu saw all night were clips from 7-10 year olds. How ******* pathetic is that???

not beinr a parent, i got a kick out of of the kids playing, till one of the guys i was with (a parent) pointed out the fact that they didnt care about the puck, they were just creaming each other, and to be honest, after talking tohim for a minute, and watching these kids, i gpot a bit nervous too,,, i mean they were drilling each other.

this entire Bruins team lacks heart.

Toivy has talent, but i would imagine its hard to be the shining light on a sinking ship.

and all those that blast Mara,,, he was the only bruin on two occasions that i saw to look for a scrap with someone on the other team.

Chara does what he needs to, and nobody in there right mind is gonna drop the gloves iwth him, so i cant blame him for not scrapping.... but everyone else on the roster can go to hell until they realize they are supposed to be hockery players.

and for the record, the penalty shot was a crap call, and so was the call on mara afterwards.

i can see why the nhl is losing fans and not winning them.
This is almost exactly how I felt after watching the Bruins live in Ottawa on Saturday. I would never pay the kind of money to go see a hockey game anymore. It's just not worth it. Especially the Bruins, who more often than not, leave me feeling frustrated and unsatisfied. But who can turn down free tickets? The team looks even deader in real life than it does on tv. And that's a very difficult feat to accomplish. They should be proud of themselves...really. During the intermission, they had Tim Horton's kids come out and play a round of shinny. Watching the 3-5 year olds pushing the puck around and skating with all their might was more enjoyable than watching Primeau lumbering forward with the puck in tow before losing it. I also agree on Chistov. I don't think he needs to go, but he definitely needs to stay on the 4th line until he gets his act together. This is one thing I really can't stand about the Bruins youngsters (maybe even all of them, but most noticeable from) Chistov and Kessel. They seem afraid, borderline terrified to go into the contact areas, especially in the corners. Last night, there was a play where Phil was chasing down the puck into the Rangers corner. Aaron Ward was bearing down on him and he stopped, stutter-stepped to make sure he avoided any contact with Ward. As much as we all dislike Hoggan, wouldn't it be great to put Hoggan's heart/determination/desire into Kessel or Chistov?

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveoftheBruins View Post
But the play in front of him by the D and Forwards can't be a confidence builder either for both goalies.

Understood. But, this is pro hockey. He's got to perform with the team in front of him. Just didn't really see that from him last night. Giving up that goal right away to make it 4-1 was a back-breaker. Granted- he was set up to fail, but at the same time, he missed an opportunity to make a statement, especially with that brutal goal he gave up to Cullen.

It's how he's giving up the goals that's cause for concern/critique. Down on every single shot, off balance, not in control. I've been a goalie my whole life just about, so I understand the confidence thing. But, it doesn't absolve your guys between the pipes from having to make the saves/pick up the team when the forwards and D are playing poorly. Neither guy looked strong last night, and as a result, the Rangers ran them out of their own building.

Old
01-30-2007, 09:57 AM
8baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
I thought this guy was the projected future #1 goalie for you guys? So much potential (with the likes of Lehtonen, MAF), and he was sent down early this year and for the most part has been backup to Thomas with only 9 games under his belt this year. has thomas become the #1? Will Hannu be given another shot or be traded in the summer?
Projected by a bad Bruins organization you mean.

8baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:59 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
This is almost exactly how I felt after watching the Bruins live in Ottawa on Saturday. I would never pay the kind of money to go see a hockey game anymore. It's just not worth it. Especially the Bruins, who more often than not, leave me feeling frustrated and unsatisfied. But who can turn down free tickets? The team looks even deader in real life than it does on tv. And that's a very difficult feat to accomplish. They should be proud of themselves...really. During the intermission, they had Tim Horton's kids come out and play a round of shinny. Watching the 3-5 year olds pushing the puck around and skating with all their might was more enjoyable than watching Primeau lumbering forward with the puck in tow before losing it. I also agree on Chistov. I don't think he needs to go, but he definitely needs to stay on the 4th line until he gets his act together. This is one thing I really can't stand about the Bruins youngsters (maybe even all of them, but most noticeable from) Chistov and Kessel. They seem afraid, borderline terrified to go into the contact areas, especially in the corners. Last night, there was a play where Phil was chasing down the puck into the Rangers corner. Aaron Ward was bearing down on him and he stopped, stutter-stepped to make sure he avoided any contact with Ward. As much as we all dislike Hoggan, wouldn't it be great to put Hoggan's heart/determination/desire into Kessel or Chistov?
i'll cut Kessel the first year rookie slack, but not chistov.

he's been around to long, and the thing that kills me with him, is he can play the body when he wants to. as long as he is clearly doing the hitting though.

he doesnt do anything for me any more (not that he really did to begin with)

same with murray at this point.

i dont care how many goals he is on pace for, if he isnt scoring, he's invisible most of the time.

i'd ship him out for a good pick at this point.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:18 PM
chippa13*

What happened to Toivonen? He played a nice little 20 game string last season then got hurt. People took that 20 game snippit and annointed him as the new savior in the B's net. Unfortunately, nobody noticed that he had a case of the Jim Careys during that time and now that teams have had time to scout him they have found goals to be easy pickings.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:28 PM
BruinAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa13 View Post
What happened to Toivonen? He played a nice little 20 game string last season then got hurt. People took that 20 game snippit and annointed him as the new savior in the B's net. Unfortunately, nobody noticed that he had a case of the Jim Careys during that time and now that teams have had time to scout him they have found goals to be easy pickings.
The scouting may have a bit to do with it, but I think it's more-so a case of Toivonen simply not playing as well. And by "not as well", I mean, "horrible".

BruinAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinAddict View Post
The scouting may have a bit to do with it, but I think it's more-so a case of Toivonen simply not playing as well. And by "not as well", I mean, "horrible".
That would refer to his case of the "Jim Careys", or as Dale put it this morning using Tom McVeigh's line,"If the crease was water he'd drown."

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Seems like the whole NHL has figured him out...shoot high. The guy is down making "cirque de soleil" splits trying to impress god knows who, while he leaves the top of the net wide open.

Shoebottom is online now   Reply With Quote