HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

And so it begins...effects of the Conroy trade

Old
01-29-2007, 07:56 PM
R A D I C K

vCash: 500
And so it begins...effects of the Conroy trade

Craig Conroy, a second line center on pace for 25 total points and a -25, can garnish Jamie Lundmark + a 2nd and a 4th. Granted, Conroy has one more year left on his contract, but what does this say about the impending market for trade deadline acquisitions?

Nothing good, I'm afraid. If the Preds are seeking a top 4 defenseman -- preferrably one who hasn't had a miserable year -- I think it shifts the market to AT LEAST a first round pick or two credible prospects.

With Forsberg's waiver of his no-trade clause, I think today's events also signal that the market is officially open. At least this is the case with the Kings -- one of the Preds more likely trading partners.

R A D I C K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Jarnberg

Conroy is having a bad year, but he's a solid player playing with crap in Los Angeles. Lundmark is crap.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:34 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Lundmark is a no-value throw in, the second round pick isn't until the draft AFTER next, and the fourth is a mid level pick. It's really not that great of a package.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Lundmark is a no-value throw in, the second round pick isn't until the draft AFTER next, and the fourth is a mid level pick. It's really not that great of a package.
and the draft this year isn't all that great, to be honest

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:48 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
and the draft this year isn't all that great, to be honest
That is not what David Poile has been saying.....

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 08:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
That is not what David Poile has been saying.....
The first round looks good, at least the first 20 or so picks, but after that, it looks a lot like last year, according to the various scouting services.

Old
01-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
The first round looks good, at least the first 20 or so picks, but after that, it looks a lot like last year, according to the various scouting services.
True, it's a lot like last year minus some of the real top-end talent. But the 2nd in '08 the Kings got from Calgary is a pretty decent pick. Both the '08 & '09 drafts look like they'll be pretty deep with more top-end talent than this year's crop.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Nashville108*

Quote:
well hopefully we wont be in the first 20 picks.

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 03:03 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
...and the $2.8 million cap hit relief.

The Kings will be players in the free agent market this offseason.

Simply put, the Kings traded a guy who didn't want to be in L.A. for a former first round pick, a 2nd rounder in a deep year, a 4th rounder, and a good chunk of cap space. Kings win.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:14 AM
jstreet

vCash: 1613
I thought the Kings won out on this one too.

Conroy is a good fit in Calgary, he wasnt exactly gelling in LA. The Kings could have done without Lundmark, but stocking up on draft picks is never a bad thing.

I just dont see us making any big moves this year, the way the standings look there are just too many buyers and not enough sellers going in to the playoffs.

...unless you want a Flyer.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

conroy to calgary. well, he might have fetched a high price in 2 picks. but, it is still cheaper than foppa would have costed, and they know conman meshes well with iggy. plus he was a big part of their cup run when they lost to TB.

lundmark is indeed crap, so maybe that helps wash some salary. i would waive lundmark as soon as his feet touched in LA and send him to the AHL.

conroy has had a bad year, but a large part of that was having to start the year playing such a defensive role. when he was left to play with frolov full game sand get into a groove he looked pretty darn good.

i think he fits well back at the flame and his numbers increase greatly.

next year? he might slide off due to age, but he has the wheels to finish strong this year.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

oh, forgot to tie in my relevant point. i don't think conroy would have fetched the same price in other markets, so i don't think it really sets the bar for the upcoming deadline.

foppa is gonna fetch a huge price, but no one else available is foppa. teams are not going to sacrafice their future in the new NHL where picks and youth is key for teams scrubs and old men. or at least i hope they won't....

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:06 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I really don't see a lot of affect on the marketplace, at least not in the ways mentioned. Past precedent doesn't do a whole lot for me here other than to tell me how much a GM values their picks/prospects.

The value, in my opinion, is dictated not so much by the price of the previous events but by the teams acquiring/disposing of the assets. The going rate for Mr. X defenseman at the 2007 trade deadline will not be as affected by the price paid for a similar defenseman five days previous as it will be by the potential buyers available.

For example, if defenseman X, one of three defensemen available at this level (Y and Z being the others), goes for 1 first rounder in a bidding war amongst 10 teams, I would not expect Y or Z to fetch anywhere near that if, in three days, they are both on the marketplace and, due to a variety of circumstances, only two interested buyers remain. Now, this is an extreme example, but I think it serves my point. It's not so much the value exchanging hands as it is the teams involved.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 01:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
oh, forgot to tie in my relevant point. i don't think conroy would have fetched the same price in other markets, so i don't think it really sets the bar for the upcoming deadline.

foppa is gonna fetch a huge price, but no one else available is foppa. teams are not going to sacrafice their future in the new NHL where picks and youth is key for teams scrubs and old men. or at least i hope they won't....
I don't think he'll fetch the "huge" price you're expecting. He's got chronic injuries, a NTC that he'll only waive for certain teams. I think a return similar to what Doug Weight brought St Louis last year is what is to be expected.

Old
01-30-2007, 02:15 PM
R A D I C K

I agree that the marketplace is dictated by the number of buyers and by a thousand other things, but I think everyone here is missing out on the point that early trades like this can set a pinpoint by which to bid. I'm not saying it's THE pinpoint, but it is A pinpoint. It's in the ballpark of a "reasonable" trade.

If Forsberg's highest bid out of 5 teams is a sack of peanuts, then he'll go for a sack of peanuts. But each GM doesn't know what the other league GMs are offering. You don't think the Flyers' GM will be using this trade as a discussion point?

Here's the conversation:

Team X GM: "So, what's it gonna take to get Foppa off your hands?"

Holmgren: "Well, Conroy got a 2nd and a 4th...."

Team X: "But I read on the message boards that Conroy is particularly valued to Calgary, that the draft sucks in the next two years, and that Jamie Lundmark's a bust"

Holmgren: "Ok, peddle your wares elsewhere. I'm sure the other GM in your division will want him bad enough."

Of course I could always be wrong.

R A D I C K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

The only reason I see us getting involved in the broke foot foppa sweepstakes is two fold ... drive up the price for our divisional opponent in the sweepstakes & or a total c@ck block move by Poile so that he doesn't go to said Divisional opponent

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 05:49 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I really don't think we need to add much.

I'd like a backline bruiser but he doesn't have to be a top 4 guy, just someone better than Zanon.

I'd like an upgrade on the 3rd line but I'd go to battle with Fids there.

Everything else is really good.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 06:52 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by R A D I C K View Post
IIf Forsberg's highest bid out of 5 teams is a sack of peanuts, then he'll go for a sack of peanuts. But each GM doesn't know what the other league GMs are offering. You don't think the Flyers' GM will be using this trade as a discussion point?
Disagree on the bolded line. I can't prove my theory, but I think it sits well on a base of logic. They know a lot more than you think. Now, GMs may slightly exaggerate what offers they are receiving, but they can't do it by much or they won't have too many opportunities in the future.

If Poile offers Radulov and a first for Forsberg, and Sutter offers Ramholt, you don't honestly think that Holmgren won't be telling Sutter what the Preds offered and telling him the conversation ends unless he can beat that.

Now, this isn't a 100% disclosed environment, and the GMs are relying on each other to divulge this information. But I can't imagine you'll see Holmgren stretch the offer and saying the Preds are offering Radulov, Weber, and a first. Because eventually, Sutter and Poile will talk to each other. And when they found out that Holmgren was lying, I think other GMs would shy away from him considerably.

From what I've read and heard, GMs work in a fairly open environment. And it would seem to be in the best interests of the GMs to be honest and open, within reason.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote