HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All star tv ratings and Buffalo

Old
01-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Eichel 9

vCash: 500
All star tv ratings and Buffalo

http://www.versus.com/nw/article/vie...l&UserDef=true

Buffalo easily had the highest ratings for it in the American market.

And I watched it on CBC and I know a lot of others from Buffalo that also picked CBC to watch it.

Eichel 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:33 PM
SabresFreak97

Great intro to the CBC edition. I decided to watch CBC because of less bells and whisltes.

SabresFreak97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:48 PM
sabregoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekAndMax2661 View Post
http://www.versus.com/nw/article/vie...l&UserDef=true

Buffalo easily had the highest ratings for it in the American market.

And I watched it on CBC and I know a lot of others from Buffalo that also picked CBC to watch it.

Almost 3x the next highest.

It says that it reached 474000 homes in the country. This does not make sense since it was probably on in that many homes in western NY.

sabregoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
these numbers totally support the argument that big-name players belong in big tv markets, and bigger tv markets should have more representation in the all star game.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Eichel 9

Buffalo (#1, 7.1 rating), Pittsburgh (#1, 2.8 rating), St. Louis (#6, 1.1 rating), Detroit (#7, 1.3 rating), Nashville (#8 ranking, 1.2 rating), Philadelphia (#8, 1.0 rating), Denver (#10, 1.1 rating), Minneapolis-St. Paul (#11, .7 rating), Boston (#13, .9 rating), Richmond-Petersburg (#15, 1.0 rating), Columbus, OH (#17, .8 rating), Chicago (#17, .7 rating), Dallas (#18, .5 rating), Baltimore (#20, .7 rating), Tampa-St. Petersburg (#20, .6 rating) and San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose (#20, .5 rating).

Nashville ahead of many places you think would be higher than them too

Eichel 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
these numbers totally support the argument that big-name players belong in big tv markets, and bigger tv markets should have more representation in the all star game.
I just got my last sarcasm meter replaced and now I need to get another. Geez....

01-27-2007, 03:02 AM
MikeD

Quote:
Sounds like that could have come straight out of Bettmans office...

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Devo-2

A spot in Allan Muir's SI column. . .

Quote:
One final thought on All-Star week: while the rest of America used the time to wash their hair or visit their sick grandmothers in the hospital, Buffalo fans gave Wednesday's game a more than respectable 7.1 rating, by far the highest in the nation. (By contrast, host Dallas only offered up a 0.5 rating). That's even more impressive when you consider that western New York also had access to the CBC coverage, meaning there likely was an even greater viewership for the game than that number suggests. If that's the kind of support they're offering the event, maybe it's time to start beating the drum for Buffalo to host the All-Star Game in 2010.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...hysical/1.html

Devo-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
If buffalo did host the all star game you know the whole event would be packed in.. not just with buffalo fans but with canadiens coming down for the weekend.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Kruschiki

I hear that Jim Worsarski, sole resident of the little known outpost town of Nowheresville, Alaska, tuned into the All Star game on versus with his home-built satellite dish. This gave the game a whopping 100.0 rating in that market.

Old
01-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Takeo

But if the team had one losing season, attendance and ratings would be way down. The casual fans have been on a high lately, but I wouldn't call Buffalo a stable market or a hockey hot bed.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Kruschiki

50% of adults in my house think I should get to watch more sports on TV.

Old
01-30-2007, 08:32 AM
bflohockeygirl
homesick sabres fan

Quote:
50% of adults in my house think I should get to watch more sports on TV.
50% of the adults in my house think that if you tune both TVs to a hockey game, you're helping the NHL's ratings.

Also? We are not now, nor have we ever been, a Neilsen family.

Seriously.

Study hard. Be evil.
bflohockeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:39 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
But if the team had one losing season, attendance and ratings would be way down. The casual fans have been on a high lately, but I wouldn't call Buffalo a stable market or a hockey hot bed.

Alright mister now you've gone too far. I don't take issue with your many attacks on the team itself but attacking the fan base is just too much

Joking aside. This has always been a strong hockey market. Even when the Sabres weren't very good the TV ratings for various hockey events has usually been pretty good. Obviously not at the levels its at now.

The problems that this team has had in the past were due in large part to poor ownership and marketing. One of the best innovations to come aong in awhile has been the variable pricing. This year it hasn't really mattered because of the season ticket sales. But in leaner years it will help sell tickets.

Also the season ticket sales are way up not just because of the team on the ice. Its also due to the many benefits of being a season ticket holder. Something that was missing during the Rigas years. Other than getting the same seat each game. When the Rigas' owned the team there really was little advantage to being a season ticket holder. That among other things led to many of the problems the team had financially. A team needs to have a strong season ticket base to be successful. the Rigas' absolutely destroyed the season ticket base.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Kruschiki

Everyone is missing the point. A strong number in a small market is still a small number. I'm sure the NHL would take a 2.1 in NYC over a 7 or 8 in WNY.

Old
01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Everyone is missing the point. A strong number in a small market is still a small number. I'm sure the NHL would take a 2.1 in NYC over a 7 or 8 in WNY.

I don't think anyone is missing the point. The ratings show this is a very good hockey market. Reagrdless of what ratings the NHL would like in other places.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote