Notices

From The Press Box: Iginla Could Return This Week

Old
01-29-2007, 10:05 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
From The Press Box: Iginla Could Return This Week

Hello and welcome to From the Press Box, our newest blog which features notes, quotes and anecdotes…

It was mostly good news Monday from the ‘Dome as the Calgary Flames prepared for an important four-game homestand.

First, the Flames shored up their forward group by acquiring Craig Conroy; Jarome Iginla skated in a Flames practice for the first time since injuring his left knee and Robyn Regehr declared himself healthy and receovered from a nasty bacterial illness that kept him from joining the Flames on their recent two-game road trip.

The acquisition of Conroy, a sparkplug looking to get his game back on track after a poor season so far, will make things interesting down the middle to say the least. Wherever he ends up int he line-up he brings something to the table — strong in the face-off circle, smart, fast, and capable of playing on both the penalty kill and the power play.

Iginla has been skating on his own but Monday he returned to the ice and practised with his teammates he was injured on January 4. He said the brace isn’t bothering him and predicted he might be back for games against either Columbus on Friday or Vancouver on Saturday. He did his stops and starts, bumped a little and said he had no complaints.

“I tried to do everything. That’s the hardest I have gone,” said Iginla. “It felt pretty good. I don’t think I could have hoped for it to be any better.”

Iginla, however, wouldn’t get pinned down on a timeline. “I would like to play this week, whether it is (Tuesday) or the in the next couple, I don’t know.” He will meet with coaches and trainers Tuesday morning but head coach Jim Playfair hinted that if there was any doubt, the Flames would wait until Iginla was at 100 per cent.

Regehr, meanwhile, had to have intravenous treatment for what he called a bacteria and one of the worst experiences he had ever had. “It was probably the worst sickness I have ever had. It was just a miserable time. I guess it was a good way to lose weight if you want to do that.”

The news on Chuck Kobasew wasn’t as positive. Kobasew returned from a concussion and played on Friday in Minnesota but missed Sunday’s game in Chicago, reportedly because of a new injury — this one to his arm. He did not skate on Monday with the team and was to visit doctors with an update likely pending on Tuesday.

http://blog.calgaryflames.com/blog/?p=178#more-178

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote