HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Predators @ Avalanche - 1.30.07

Old
01-31-2007, 07:08 AM
AdsSabresRule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Zanon, Hartnell and Fiddler were all terrible tonight imo. Erat, Legwand and Dumont had poor games as well. Upshall looked lost. I thought Kariya looked fantastic out there. Sullivan played pretty good too, although his line got burned twice in a row by the Wolski line.
Upshall is lost. Did he smack the dashers, role his eys, cry on the bench, blame everyone else tonight?

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:53 AM
RollingPredFan

I thought we played really well last night, maybe I am seeing things through mustard colored glasses

Well our defense was bad, but Budaj stood on his head or we win in a high scoring game. We had chance after chance...

Vokoun wasn't a world beater, but like Engblom said I thought he was interfered with on the 2nd goal. He made some solid saves too.

Oh and maybe we are showcasing Upshall, but I know I'd rather see Radulov for sure.

Oh well I don't think its the end of the world... we dropped a road game, we can play better but it wasn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be LOL

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:42 AM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Zidlicky also took some pretty bad penalties.

Im in favor of moving him, throw in Upshall as the "Lundmark" of the trade.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:52 AM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
I thought we played really well last night, maybe I am seeing things through mustard colored glasses

Well our defense was bad, but Budaj stood on his head or we win in a high scoring game. We had chance after chance...

Vokoun wasn't a world beater, but like Engblom said I thought he was interfered with on the 2nd goal. He made some solid saves too.

Oh and maybe we are showcasing Upshall, but I know I'd rather see Radulov for sure.

Oh well I don't think its the end of the world... we dropped a road game, we can play better but it wasn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be LOL
It'd be nice if we could beat a team coming off our schedule marshmallows of St Louis, Chicago & Columbus

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:58 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I would fire Trotz and dismantle the team...the day of every nationally televised games.

I'd love to see our record on the big stage.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:21 AM
RollingPredFan

I agree we have been pretty bad this year in 'big' games so I understand the concern. Well atleast we are not losing to the Columbus, STL, Chicagos atleast and other good teams have... they can only play the schedule in front of them

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:33 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Our "big games" at home haven't been much of a problem. San Jose, Anaheim, Detroit, Calgary, Ottawa, were all big home games. We did play bad against Buffalo at home that's it.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Our "big games" at home haven't been much of a problem. San Jose, Anaheim, Detroit, Calgary, Ottawa, were all big home games. We did play bad against Buffalo at home that's it.
The nationally televised games are what SC is referring to I believe, and it does seem to me like we lose almost every TSN or Versus broadcast the past few years.

Upshall looks better than Radulov with Fiddler. I know Upshall had an up and down game, but his type of game fits that line much better.

Hartnell has become non-existent with Fiddler's placement on the third line. Scott provides virtually nothing on a line with Fiddler. Heck, our fourth line has had consistently more scoring chances for the past 3-4 games with Vasicek on it than the third line has had with Fiddler. Coincidence? Not really.

Would trading Zidlicky hurt the chemistry of this team? What would it due to the Czech contingent (predominately Vokoun and Erat....the guys are very close).

Why can't we put Shea Weber or Ryan Suter with Kimmo? WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!

01-31-2007, 01:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Upshall's game? What's that skate real fast, run into someone, fall down, get back up and chase the play?

As weak as Radulov seemed on his skates, he seems more stable than Upshall.

Old
01-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Jarnberg

Yeah but our big wins at home were over Anaheim (who was missing Pronger and Giggy), Detroit (without Hasek playing), Calgary (without Iginla). Obviously they are still big wins, but for the most part we've caught the good teams at bad times and played cupcakes every other time. I do like how the team does take advantage of their schedule and put away most teams. I would just like to see us get some better results against the other big guys.

I thought Upshall was terrible. The third line was pretty bad, as it has been for a while now.

We still need to upgrade Zanon. Sure he blocks shots, but he made about 3 or 4 passes right on the tape of a few Avs players last night. Granted our D played pretty bad as a whole.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:37 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

And our big losses were to Anaheim and San Jose when the injury bug hit us hard - Vokoun, Leggy, Sully and Arnott, Buffalo on the second night of a back to back, Colorado when the flu bug is running through the lockerroom, at on the road at the Joe.

You can make excuses for everything...

Old
01-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
And our big losses were to Anaheim and San Jose when the injury bug hit us hard - Vokoun, Leggy, Sully and Arnott, Buffalo on the second night of a back to back, Colorado when the flu bug is running through the lockerroom, at on the road at the Joe.

You can make excuses for everything...
I meant to point out that our losses to Anaheim and San Jose were when we had injuries as well, I must have forgot to.

However, the second night of a back to back hasn't effected us against Columbus, St.Louis, etc. On the road is hardly an excuse either.

I just want to see us put up more wins over stronger opponents consistently.

Old
01-31-2007, 02:57 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

The game against Chicago that night was a tough bout for us. Remember Chicago had beat us the previous 2 games. It was an emotional and physical game for us, so yeah it's a legit excuse. On the road at the Joe is always an excuse, look at their home record.

Old
01-31-2007, 03:00 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Let me add that we also had big games on the road against New jersey, NY Rangers and NY Islanders and did fairly well.

Who are these big teams we consistantly lose too?

Old
01-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Who are these big teams we consistantly lose too?
So far Dallas. Detroit has 2 against us and seem to contain us well. I'm not sure what went wrong in the game here for them, where we completely exposed them. I'm anxious to see how a matchup with Anaheim with everyone healthy. Colorado has played better than us in each game this season.

Look, I know we've had some big wins. That win the other night against Chicago was awesome. Yeah they've been terrible for the most part this year, but playing with 4 defensemen and killing off that 5:00 PP was outstanding. The Ottawa win was also impressive.

Good teams when the games they need to and I give credit for us picking up the needed wins over losing teams. But until we prove that we can hang with the big clubs than the playoffs might be a quick one for us.

Old
01-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Jarnberg

I'll also add that Budaj played fantastic for the Avs last night. Our first PP was incredible, even though we didn't score during it (we did tire them out and Arnott was able to blast one home).

There were some positives from last night and it wasn't like we played flat out terrible, but it wasn't our best effort.

The team has some tough games coming up and hopefully we can put them away.

Old
01-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Upshall's game? What's that skate real fast, run into someone, fall down, get back up and chase the play?

As weak as Radulov seemed on his skates, he seems more stable than Upshall.
Say what you want about Upshall, but at least he can skate on the third line. Radulov and Hartnell are completely incompatible with Fiddler. If Upshall is slotted in, at least you know your going to have a guy skating hard and hitting someone...... Aside from Radulov handing a goal to Fiddler, our third line has been crap for several weeks.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 05:52 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I love Fiddler's story and work ethic but he's not a NHL talent.

Old
01-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Pred303

well, that wasn't all that much fun. a tail of two different halfs of the ice, in front of the redline we played well, behind it not so well.

...hope everyone printed off the league standings back on January 27th.

...preds with a 10 game stretch now where they need to extend the lead over detroit to greater than 10 points. do that, and the preds will head into the last tougher 20 in a situation where we can afford to lose some of the remaining detroit games. fail to extend the point lead, and the central race will probably come down to us having to win and/or at least split the remaining detroit games in that stretch.

...a loss like this hurts, because we generated so many good offensive chances, and in general played really good offensive hockey all night. we had to outchance them two to one, yet couldn't bury enough to beat them.

...in our defensive end, well we basically stunk. blown assignments, bad turnovers, odd man rushes, bad decisions, poor backchecking, slow reactions, bad rebounds.. you name it.

...lots of general statements about in various threads like "we were weak defensively", but let's call a spade a spade. who really was bad? the hamhuis-weber pairing was awful and the arnott line stunk up the place in our zone . 3 of the 4 goals allowed with the same 5 guys on ice. probably the worst game hamhuis has played this year. and the sakic/wolski/brunette line ate the second line up all night.

...we gave up 27 even strength shots. probably at least 15 of those came with our second line on ice. they tried to match sakic up against the slower arnott and it paid off offensively all night. arnott is a strong defensive center against big centermen. smaller, quicker centers can give him trouble staying with them. they used this to maintain the puck in our zone.

...a blow-by-blow of each of their 4 goals and who failed what.

1)brunette's. hamhuis caught way up ice on the boards 15 feet inside of the blueline off a faceoff no less. bad. weber gambles on the 2 on 1 and plays it horribly, allowing the pass across. vokoun dives too early and comes up with air.
2)arnason's. fiddler picked clean inside the redline causes the 3 on 2 coming back. upshall backchecking drives his man into vokoun. vokoun leaves a rebound sitting six inches from his pad and doesn't get it covered. fiddler caught watching the man shooting the puck out front while allowing a man to drive to the net behind him and get position. vokoun too busy complaining to the refs about interference and not fighting hard enough to get back in position.
3)wolski's go ahead goal. weber with a bad turnover to start it. the sakic line runs arnott's line ragged in our zone. arnott gets the puck under control but then fails to clear and turns it over. hamhuis and weber outnumbered in front, caught scrambing in the zone and out of position finally in front (weber because he's screened by arnott, hamhuis because he's simply late getting out on brunette who makes the pass.
4)hejduk's backbreaker. more of the same. second line again lets them possess the puck. we are a step late getting to stastny down low. we have both hamhuis and weber in the low slot, and hamhuis is late getting to hejduk. vokoun doesn't get the bottom half of the net at the far post covered.

...a shame, because we wasted a mighty good offensive effort. hand it to budaj, he played a tremendous game. hard to believe he made all those great stops, yet allowed sullivans throw it at the net one to go in.

...the first line was actually good in both zones, but in a 60 minute wide open game, as harsh as this sounds, we need more than one goal out of them.

...zidlicky taking the 2 penalties in the third really helped them hold us off obviously. a shame too, because other than this and the hartnell crosscheck we played a very disciplined game. zidlicky did have a nice point shot that set up the kariya rebound goal, something we need far more out of him. but the two penalties were huge with us behind by 2.

...makes me sick at my stomach to see fiddler get more pp time than legwand. i know fids shoveled one off the post, but the very idea we choose to skate a guy with no real offensive ability on the pp makes me ill.

...we no longer have three scoring lines. we have two scoring lines and two 'hope we can hold it right here' lines. a shame too.

...whenever i look up and see tootoo, fiddler, nichol, vasicek on ice, my thought is usually not are we going to score, but mentally whenever we're behind and the clock is a factor i start thinking "well here's another minute off the clock". it feels almost like we're killing a penalty. these guys can all cycle the puck and hold the puck in the o-zone at times along the boards true, but you simply never feel they're really a legitimate threat to score. none of these guys can walk off the boards with the puck nor do any of them every park in the crease and wait for a centering pass. a combination of poor offensive skills and worse offensive instincts.

give the avs and budaj credit, it wasn't so much us playing poorly as them earning the win. hats off to them.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
I love Fiddler's story and work ethic but he's not a NHL talent.
I don't think anyone will disagree with you, except for maybe, Trotz...

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:27 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
So far Dallas. Detroit has 2 against us and seem to contain us well. I'm not sure what went wrong in the game here for them, where we completely exposed them. I'm anxious to see how a matchup with Anaheim with everyone healthy. Colorado has played better than us in each game this season.

Look, I know we've had some big wins. That win the other night against Chicago was awesome. Yeah they've been terrible for the most part this year, but playing with 4 defensemen and killing off that 5:00 PP was outstanding. The Ottawa win was also impressive.

Good teams when the games they need to and I give credit for us picking up the needed wins over losing teams. But until we prove that we can hang with the big clubs than the playoffs might be a quick one for us.
This is just it, we've beaten the big dogs but you're not going to win every game against the better teams on the road, it's just not going to happen, just like they struggle to beat us here.