HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Brad Stuart? Huh?

Old
01-30-2007, 11:50 PM
fras123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_S View Post
I wouldn't mind that happening... maybe Redden to Edmonton for a 1st, Lupul, and a prospect (JF Jacques would be nice), I would like that....
remember what happened last time redden was out of the lineup? sens dropped 7 of ten games 10 games, when he came back they went 10 for 12. the whole teams play revolves around redden. theres no way he can go

fras123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:53 PM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens View Post
These are all very valid points - and I wouldn't discount the possibility that it could well be Preissing involved.
Why would a non-playoff team trade a UFA for a UFA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Isn't Brad Stuart the guy who still has a home in California, where his wife lives and his kids go to school?
The playoffs are only 2 months at most I'm sure he can handle 2 more months after being in Boston for 2 years.

We could definitely use a guy like Stuart as an upgrade for Corvo. He can play PK which is HUGE in the playoffs which Corvo can't and he's also better suited to hold off a strong fore check at 6'2 220lbs. Also he can step in to with Redden if Meszaros falters in the playoffs again this year of if any of the top 4 get hurt.

Stuart - Preissing >> Corvo - Preissing

Last edited by OttawaGM: 01-31-2007 at 12:00 AM.
OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:29 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Why would a non-playoff team trade a UFA for a UFA?
As was noted earlier, Boston didn't sign Chara and Savard to very high-end contracts to go and start a re-building phase. It's not such an impossibility if the Bruins were confident that they can get a contract done and felt that Preissing will be more affordable and can chip in with more offense. It would also make sense if they just plain liked Preissing better than Corvo, and felt that he would be a better fit. Just because Preissing's contract is coming up, that doesn't mean that he's necessarily going to hit the market and be available. Corvo would be the safer bet in terms of contract, but you also have to feel you're getting the best player you could.

sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:22 AM
Cat Called Bobcat

I got Brad Stuart's autograph when he was in town for the Memorial Cup as a member of the Calgary Hitmen. He came into my work with the rest of the team, and while they played video games, he sat in front of one and just stared. He was also concussed.

That is all.

Last edited by Cat Called Bobcat: 01-31-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Cat Called Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:26 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmeimasensfan View Post
I got Brad Stuart's autograph when he was in town for the Memorial Cup as a member of the Calgary Hitmen. He came into work with the rest of the team, and while they played video games, he sat in front of one and just stared. He was also concussed.

That is all.
poor guy!

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:45 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
The playoffs are only 2 months at most I'm sure he can handle 2 more months after being in Boston for 2 years.
I made the comment in response to sensens who thinks it's possible to resign Stuart.

He's probably going to go back West.

If Boston wants Corvo, hey, take him. My guess is that they don't.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:00 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens View Post
It's not impossible that Muckler is viewing Brad Stuart as a potential "replacement" for Redden. I'm not saying Stuart's as good, but this kind of move does make sense if there's any chance of Redden being moved in the off-season (something I've been speculating on for a while now). It could unfold as something like:

- Stuart is acquired before the deadline for a package including Corvo, a quality prospect, and conditional picks (given the $16M+ already tied up in Chara, Savard, and Murray, Corvo's deal might make some sense for them)
- Redden is traded before the draft, ensuring that Muckler has some cap room to negotiate with prior to July 1st
- Muckler signs all of Phillips, Stuart, and Preissing to new deals prior to UFA season, and gets Volchenkov inked before an arbitration hearing

I'm not saying it's going to happen per se, but if there was a grand scheme behind all of this, that would certainly explain the interest in Brad Stuart. And a comparatively sustainable defence built around Phillips, Stuart, Volchenkov, Meszaros, and Preissing isn't without its appeal. Plus, there would certainly be some return on the Redden deal.
Interesting speculation....

I like this idea cap-wise, and it brings the team a much more even defense from top-to-bottom, which I think is going to be the formula for success in a cap world (fewer "stars", more "good players").

On the other hand, Redden's been a huge part of the resurgance this team's had in the last month or so. They're a totally different team with him in the lineup. I'm not sure that Stuart and/or whoever they could get in trade for Redden can provide the same offensive quarterbacking that Redden does, and the way this team plays, I think they need that.

Going forward over the next few years, Spezza and Redden are the two "stars" I'd like to keep.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:20 AM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
Going forward over the next few years, Spezza and Redden are the two "stars" I'd like to keep.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that because Heatley is making a case for himself to be our star of the future, atleast until Spezza matures. Heatley is bringing a complete game this year and can only get better.

Next summer we have Heatley, Redden, Fisher UFA and Spezza, Vermette, Eaves, Meszaros as RFA. With Heatley and Spezza probably getting 6M, Fisher 2-3M and the rest 1.5-2.5M each we don't have the money to keep a 6.5M defenseman.

If Muckler is seriously thinking about dealing Redden and signing Stuart, Phillips and Preissing I think we would be a better team.

Old
01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Savannah Skunk

If we're bent on getting Stuart to replace Redden and resigning Phillips and Preissing, i would hope Muckler is wise enough to send Redden to the western conference. I would hate having to see him playing against us (especially with Chara) often... and perhaps having a major impact on a potential early playoff exit.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Tony_S*

This offseason, if Ottawa could get rid of:
(for prospects/ picks or cheaper players)

Gerber (3.7 million cap hit)
Schaefer (2.1 million cap hit)
Corvo (2.5 cap hit)
McAmmond (.725 million cap hit)
Hamel (.450 million cap hit)

Thats 9.475 million total, that should save enough money for our other players we need to resign...

Who is UFA, and RFA this season anyways?

Tony_S* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:

Corvo (2.5 cap hit)

Thats 9.475 million total, that should save enough money for our other players we need to resign...

And five players we would need to fill out our roster.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:37 AM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Comrie, McAmmond, Phillips, Hamel, Preissing are UFA.

Kelly, Volchenkov, Schubert and Emery are RFA.

http://www3.telus.net/public/dreyes/nhl/ott.html

Old
01-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Buckleys

I read in the citizen a few weeks back that Preissing was an RFA. I had always thought he was a UFA, but heres to hoping!

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:41 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
I read in the citizen a few weeks back that Preissing was an RFA. I had always thought he was a UFA, but heres to hoping!
The Citizen is wrong.

Even if he were an RFA, it wouldn't make all that much difference, as statistically he's got a great case for an arbitrator.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Heatley4Hart*

The guys' contracts we need to move are Gerber (3.7) for the next 2 and Corvo (2.5 for the next 3) and maybe even Scheafer (even though I still like him as long as he can put up a respectale 18 goals and play his grinding/skill game.

Redden is too important to move, anything short of a playoff collapse will mean he stays next year and we re-up him for another expensive (~6 mill) but short term deal.

Moving Redden to accomidate the likes of Stuart will just make us a worse team and will do nothing to mask the Gerber/Corvo deals we need to address before 2008-09

Heatley4Hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:28 PM
jamiebez

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd agree with that because Heatley is making a case for himself to be our star of the future, atleast until Spezza matures. Heatley is bringing a complete game this year and can only get better.
It's a hard decision either way. I'm of the feeling we won't be able to keep both beyond next year.

I prefer Spezza because I think he makes the guys around him better. Plus, I think a #1C is harder to replace than a #1 winger.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:52 PM
Answer

this team is all about Heatley+Spezza .. 1 of them go and the team loses its identity

volchenkov+meszaros aswell

and we sure need a veteran presence like redden+phillips ...

i would also like to keep fisher+vermette+eaves .. just think about what they can grow into ...

thats alfie's team !!

thats pretty much needs to stay intact or else this team pretty much be going backwards

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:16 PM
SNAPshot

Quote:

Corvo (2.5 cap hit)

Although he seems off and on this season, Schaefer is a good deal at 2.1M (he has signed a multi-year deal, he might seem slightly overpaid now, but in the next few it'll be a steal). McAmmond is a good deal at 725000 too, I mean, he is a versatile player with experience, also, he only makes a bit more than the minimum...

Redden has been his old self again, and right now, the 6.5 M seems well spent. If we want to go far, trading him will not be a step in the right direction. There are only a handfull of guys as good as he is on the blueline.

It's going to be a real challenge to get everyone signed, it might even take some serious decision-making, but I we absolutely have to keep Emery, Volchenkov and Phillips. I really hope we can avoid Heatley heading to free-agency after next season. If we think about it, he has been consistent, has raised his game and has played every single game since becoming a Senator. We don't need a fragile star.

SNAPshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 03:54 PM
IranCondraAffair

Honestly, I don't know what to think anymore. I've actually given it less attention than in years past. For instance, even with all the effort I put into prediction, I still let myself think we could resign both Chara and Redden. Even with all that effort, they went for about 2 million more than I expected and we ended up being that much short.

This year is worse I think. Just off the top of my head,

Phillips is looking at 4.5 million even at a home town discount.
Fisher is injured a lot, but he's still almost certainly going to get around 2 million.
Preissing is going to get about 2.5-3.5
Volchenkov is going to get 2.5 Million
Emery is going to get at least 1.5, maybe over 2 million depending on length
Kelly is probably going to get Fisher money, soo....1.25 to 1.5 for him too.

Objectivly, we're probably look at about 6-8 million in increased salary, maybe more. So even if Gerber and Corvo get dealt or come off the books. We're still looking at finding a minimum salary backup goalie and 6th defenseman just to keep status quo next year.

No wonder Muckler is having trouble signing Phillips. If he even pays 500k too much it could really hurt us.

Don't mind me though, I'm actually wrong most of the time...

...........despite what I tell people.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 04:00 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe View Post
Fisher is injured a lot, but he's still almost certainly going to get around 2 million.
Not a free agent.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 04:13 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Not a free agent.
He's still up for a new contract though as I remember, and I can't think of a reason he's not worth a similar ammount to Schaefer

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 04:37 PM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe View Post
He's still up for a new contract though as I remember, and I can't think of a reason he's not worth a similar ammount to Schaefer
Fisher is signed next year and doesn't become a UFA until next July ie: 2008.

As for the guessing game for all of our UFA/RFA:

Phillips 4M
Preissing 2.5M
Emery 2.5M
Comrie 3.5M
Volchenkov 2M
Kelly 1M
McAmmond 800k
Schubert 900k

At those salaries we'll end up around 52.5M to re-sign everyone. With a 47-47.5M cap we'll need to shave at least 6M from that list. The easiest way to do so would be to trade Gerber and pick up a 700k-1M backup and then not re-sign Comrie and bring Hennessy up.

That would give us around 1M breathing room for the year.

On top of that I wouldn't mind seeing us shop Redden in the summer for a #2 C around 2-3M and then sign a guy like Stuart to a 3-3.5M deal (actually there are a ton of UFA dman this year to choose from).

Last edited by OttawaGM: 01-31-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old
01-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Fisher is signed next year and doesn't become a UFA until next July ie: 2008.

As for the guessing game for all of our UFA/RFA:

Phillips 4M
Preissing 2.5M
Emery 2.5M
Comrie 3.5M
Volchenkov 2M
Kelly 1M
McAmmond 800k
Schubert 900k
Phillips $3.75 million on a 5 or 6 year deal (huge hometown discount)
Priessing - Signs elsewhere unless we can deal Corvo - If Corvo is dealt then he gets the exact same Corvo/Pothier 4 years $10 million deal.
Emery - 1 year $2.1 million - Emery likes a 1 year deal another chance to prove himself
Comrie - Gone unfortunately - we can't afford him
Volchenkov - After a contract battle he signs for 1 year $2.1 million
Kelly - Signed to a 4 year 6.25 million deal - He wants to stay - We want to keep him and overpay a bit to do it on a long term basis
McAmmond - Gone - replaced by Hennesy
Schubert - 2 year deal 2.3 million gets more than he would have on a 1 year deal. We figure his value will go up and so does he but he signs for 2 years anyway. Woulda been a 900K one year deal.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote