HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What is Renney talking about?

Old
01-29-2007, 10:10 PM
kasparaitis666

vCash: 500
Will Pock resign this summer?

Quote:
Renney was asked if he worried that not playing Pock more might cause the 25-year-old to choose not to re-sign with the Rangers this summer.

“Yeah, that’s possible," Renney said. “So it’s all about my relationship not only with him but with all of my players. Those good young players that I want to see here in the future, they have to understand me, I have to understand them and there has to be a mutual trust there that we’re going to grow this asset to the point where they’re a full-time Ranger.

“And if they believe that, like what they see and the landscape looks good for them, great. And if they don’t, then they certainly have the option to do other things. And I respect that."
I came accross this while reading John Dellapina's Blueshirts Blog. Apparantly Pock is a free agent this summer. I've been thinking about this and it could be possible that the Rangers might want to trade Pock before the deadline for: a conditional pick (on the condition he resigns with the team he was traded to), some kind of equal value prospect (which i dont think is to likely), or he will be included in some type of package deal to land a number 2 center.

I think the odds of Pock resigning with us are really low considering he could be playing regulary somewhere else this season. I know if I were him I would be out of NY in a second. Can Pock be used as a trade piece to bring anything in before the deadline? Or do we risk losing him for nothing to free agency in the summer?

kasparaitis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:11 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

at our current rate..

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:17 PM
mattyd99

If I'm Pock I get the hell out of New York as quick as possible. It's still beyond me why he has been a scratch the last 2 games but that's Renney for you. I've been a fan of the guy since he first came up a couple years ago so I want to see this guy play for New York, but realistically what would bring him back here? No way Renney can guarantee him a starting spot next year with the guys we have under contract and our depth at defense in the minors. The guy knows he can play in this league and it would not surprise me one bit to see him jet town afetr this year.

mattyd99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:20 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
If I'm Pock I get the hell out of New York as quick as possible.
Oh yes, I would leave. Like yesterday if I had the chance. And yes, he's definitely a trade option right now. Girardi doesn't look terribly out of place. Pock could perhaps bring back a decent (and relatively young) center. Unfotunately anyone trading for him would inherit the same contract situation.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Nope, he'll leave, just like all the other guys have done.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Pizza

After watching Malik tonight I don't know how you don't put Pock in for at least a few games. And yes I think Pock will leave. The guy wants to play and he should be. He's looked pretty good the little I've seen from him.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 04:47 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasparaitis666 View Post
I came accross this while reading John Dellapina's Blueshirts Blog. Apparantly Pock is a free agent this summer. I've been thinking about this and it could be possible that the Rangers might want to trade Pock before the deadline for: a conditional pick (on the condition he resigns with the team he was traded to), some kind of equal value prospect (which i dont think is to likely), or he will be included in some type of package deal to land a number 2 center.

I think the odds of Pock resigning with us are really low considering he could be playing regulary somewhere else this season. I know if I were him I would be out of NY in a second. Can Pock be used as a trade piece to bring anything in before the deadline? Or do we risk losing him for nothing to free agency in the summer?
After the way hes been treated NO WAY!! Hes been kicked around here by Sather & Renney.. Unless he truly wants to make it as a blueshirt - I see him leaving for playing time & a team that respects him.

Perhaps he'll get traded with Sather/Renney knowing they might not have any chance at resigning him?

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 05:15 AM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
No. They better trade him because if I was him I would get the hell out. Renney is an idiot.

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:44 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

What is Renney talking about?

http://blogs.nydailynews.com/rangers/

Renney was asked if he worried that not playing Pock more might cause the 25-year-old to choose not to re-sign with the Rangers this summer.

“Yeah, that’s possible," Renney said. “So it’s all about my relationship not only with him but with all of my players. Those good young players that I want to see here in the future, they have to understand me, I have to understand them and there has to be a mutual trust there that we’re going to grow this asset to the point where they’re a full-time Ranger.

“And if they believe that, like what they see and the landscape looks good for them, great. And if they don’t, then they certainly have the option to do other things. And I respect that."

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Levitate

I believe he's saying that he and the players have to build trust between each other so that when a situation like this comes up, the player will trust that Renney really does have them in his plans and wants to use them in the future, and Renney trusts that the player won't bolt at the first opportunity or try to play hardball with the team. Or something. I'm not entirely sure why Renney has to trust them beyond maybe trusting them to work hard at being part of the team.

At any rate, I believe he's basically saying that he wants to keep Pock and use him as part of the Rangers lineup in the future, and he hopes Pock trusts him to do so and will re-sign.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:03 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I believe he's saying that he and the players have to build trust between each other so that when a situation like this comes up, the player will trust that Renney really does have them in his plans and wants to use them in the future, and Renney trusts that the player won't bolt at the first opportunity or try to play hardball with the team. Or something. I'm not entirely sure why Renney has to trust them beyond maybe trusting them to work hard at being part of the team.

At any rate, I believe he's basically saying that he wants to keep Pock and use him as part of the Rangers lineup in the future, and he hopes Pock trusts him to do so and will re-sign.

Would you trust any of the Rangers management?

I wouldn't and at the first opportunity I would bolt and never look back

"We are prepared to take a step back so that we can take 2 steps forward" is the comment I heard last summer.

The only thing that took a step back was the team overall play

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:05 AM
dave4

Quote:

I think your interpretation is correct, but the fact that we have to decipher Renney's statements is a problem. Is this the way he talks to the young players?

I'm not advocating Schoenfeld be head coach, I think there are better candidates out there, but I bet he tells it like is to the players. And I bet the players appreciate that.

If they get promoted and Renney talks to them in circles like that, they probably walk out of a meeting with him not really completely understanding what's expected of them.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:07 AM
In The Flesh

Bench Malik, he is useless trash. Play POck, how hard is that to see. ANd he's the coach!!!!!!!!!!!!

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Levitate

Err, I didn't really have a problem "deciphering" his comments...

It's not that hard

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:24 AM
dave4

Quote:
Err, I didn't really have a problem "deciphering" his comments...

It's not that hard
Well since it is the title of the thread, maybe it's not as clear to everyone else as it is to you. And I agree with the OP that the statements are subject to interpretation.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
http://blogs.nydailynews.com/rangers/

I would say that this last comment is what I really have a problem with. It is like he is saying "it's either my way or the highway"...basically, you either stay patient and sit on the bench until you get to play...or you can leave.

I think that is the wrong approach to take with any young player. You want to show confidence in them AND also make sure you let them know that under NO circumstances are you ok with them leaving and going to another team. You want the young player to know that they are needed on your team, especially when they are sitting on the bench and wondering why they are on the bench!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

If he resigns - we have another 'young' prospect with some experience under his belt.

If he doesn't resign - that opens up a spot with the big club or Hartford for a young D-man.

Win - Win

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:59 AM
shoothepuck

Sounds like the kiss of death from Tom..

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:06 AM
shoothepuck

He needs to go elsewhere and try and play on a team that can get him into games on a nightly basis. While he hasn't lit a fire on the ice this season, he's been better than Malik, Ozo, and others.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:07 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I would say that this last comment is what I really have a problem with. It is like he is saying "it's either my way or the highway"...basically, you either stay patient and sit on the bench until you get to play...or you can leave.

I think that is the wrong approach to take with any young player. You want to show confidence in them AND also make sure you let them know that under NO circumstances are you ok with them leaving and going to another team. You want the young player to know that they are needed on your team, especially when they are sitting on the bench and wondering why they are on the bench!
Yeah, just try that at work. You'd be relieved from managerial duties pretty soon.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Yeah, just try that at work. You'd be relieved from managerial duties pretty soon.

Exactly!

Old
01-30-2007, 11:41 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I think he's saying:

"If Pock believes this line of malarkey, we can re-sign him if we have to. I don't particularly like his game, but we might need him for insurance if something better doesn't come along."

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
I think he's saying:

"If Pock believes this line of malarkey, we can re-sign him if we have to. I don't particularly like his game, but we might need him for insurance if something better doesn't come along."

If you read the rest of the article, Renney talks about how he has to always face the dilemma of trying to win but at the same time needing to develop young players. I understand the dilemma he has, since young players can at times make mistakes. However, Malik and Rachunek make A TON of mistakes every game...so I just dont think that Renney has the BALLS to play the young players. I think he is afraid that if he does play guys like Pock more, then Sather will get on his case.

It's sad

Old
01-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
Renney is an idiot, even just to sit Malik to get him straight and put Pock in for a few games, Pock has proved himself to be responsible. Over thinks? He keeps trying to put a circular peg into a square hole.

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:35 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
If he resigns - we have another 'young' prospect with some experience under his belt.

If he doesn't resign - that opens up a spot with the big club or Hartford for a young D-man.

Win - Win
if pock dont resign - it opens up a spot for another veteran

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote