HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What is Renney talking about?

Old
01-30-2007, 12:44 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
if pock dont resign - it opens up a spot for another veteran
Look, I hate Sather as much as the next guy. But let's stop with the stereotypical company line. Sather has waived to veteran d-men this season. This team now has a defense corp that features 5 guys who are under 30.

Rozsival (29)
Tyutin (23)
Rachunek (28)
Girardi (22)
Pock (26)

So don't just regurgitate what the stereotype is.

01-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Look, I hate Sather as much as the next guy. But let's stop with the stereotypical company line. Sather has waived to veteran d-men this season. This team now has a defense corp that features 5 guys who are under 30.

Rozsival (29)
Tyutin (23)
Rachunek (28)
Girardi (22)
Pock (26)

I think that is a great point to make. Waiving Ozolinsh and Kasper is a step in the right direction.

However, we are not there yet. The problem is that both Ozo and Kasper are Russian, not Czech. The day we get rid of a Czech D like Malik or Rachunek...then I will be happy. Right now, Renney is too afraid to do that because Jagr has to have 2 Czech Dmen at all times when he is on the ice...

Renney needs to stand up to Jagr and make a change

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I think that is a great point to make. Waiving Ozolinsh and Kasper is a step in the right direction.

However, we are not there yet. The problem is that both Ozo and Kasper are Russian, not Czech. The day we get rid of a Czech D like Malik or Rachunek...then I will be happy. Right now, Renney is too afraid to do that because Jagr has to have 2 Czech Dmen at all times when he is on the ice...

Renney needs to stand up to Jagr and make a change
That's all well and good. However, who are you really replacing them with? The only guy in Hartford with half a chance to be ready is Baranka. We have been calling for Sather to dump Ozo and Kaspar and replace them with kids. He did that. The system is not so stocked that he can turn over 2/3 of the entire defense corp.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
That's all well and good. However, who are you really replacing them with? The only guy in Hartford with half a chance to be ready is Baranka. We have been calling for Sather to dump Ozo and Kaspar and replace them with kids. He did that. The system is not so stocked that he can turn over 2/3 of the entire defense corp.

You replace Malik or Rachunek with Pock in the lineup...sit Malik or Rachunek at that point.

Old
01-30-2007, 03:07 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
The problem is that both Ozo and Kasper are Russian, not Czech.
Uhh - Ozo - is Latvian Not Russian. Was a former citizen of The Soviet Union - but calling a Latvian a Russian is like calling an American a Mexican. Or even worse. Just thought u might wanna know...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 03:39 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Uhh - Ozo - is Latvian Not Russian. Was a former citizen of The Soviet Union - but calling a Latvian a Russian is like calling an American a Mexican. Or even worse. Just thought u might wanna know...
Well, it's more like calling an Irishman Englishman. Both are Britt, but there's the difference... The point about Malik-Jagr is well taken. I think Renney is doing right thing in that respect. There is no need to stand up to Jaromir. We know what his happiness could do for us. He and his bodies deserve a preferable treatment. Otherwise, trade JJ and all Czechs, not just Malik.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 04:09 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
The point about Malik-Jagr is well taken. I think Renney is doing right thing in that respect. There is no need to stand up to Jaromir. We know what his happiness could do for us. He and his bodies deserve a preferable treatment. Otherwise, trade JJ and all Czechs, not just Malik.
Wow if this is true, it's very sad. I wonder if he ever asked Craig Patrick to trade Mario for a Czech.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Otherwise, trade JJ and all Czechs, not just Malik.

I'm actually not against that. You guys forget that Jagr is 34. In a year or two he will start to suck.

So when Jagr turns 35 or 36, I would gladly trade him and his Czech mates! We have some great prospects coming up, why not! I doubt we are going to win a Cup with Jagr at 36 or 37 or 38...

Old
01-30-2007, 07:16 PM
blandBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I believe he's saying that he and the players have to build trust between each other so that when a situation like this comes up, the player will trust that Renney really does have them in his plans and wants to use them in the future, and Renney trusts that the player won't bolt at the first opportunity or try to play hardball with the team. Or something. I'm not entirely sure why Renney has to trust them beyond maybe trusting them to work hard at being part of the team.

At any rate, I believe he's basically saying that he wants to keep Pock and use him as part of the Rangers lineup in the future, and he hopes Pock trusts him to do so and will re-sign.
I guess my take on it would be that a player who is confident in his own value would look at the way the Rangers develop players, and just say I gave it a good try here, if they don't want me, someone else will.
I find most of Renney's talk to be mumbo-jumbo, most hockey coaches couldn't possibly come up with the kind of stuff he spouts. And there is something so tentative about the way the Rangers do this player development stuff; so much second-guessing, no real sense of sureness about their young players. A developing player can have serious disruption to his development by being yo-yo'd around. The way the Rangers do it now, if they had drafted Dion Phaneuf he would probably still be "not quite ready" for the big time. Okay, Pock isn't quite a Dion, but so what, he acquits himself very well out there. Simply put, if I was him it would be put up or shut up. Lots of fish in the sea.
I don't say this about all the players. For example, I've seen Jamie Lundmark play as a Flame here in Calgary, and to be honest, he really was not the player that you might have expected him to be when NYR brought him up. Did the Rangers cause him to not be as good as he could have been? I think that's debatable, and that losing him was not at all a case of screwing up the future.
But, Pock looks good so if they don't play him, he should go elsewhere.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 07:38 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I undertsand what Renney is saying, but there is also some coach speak in there too.
As a young player, biding their time, playing their dues you respect and understand, to a point. What turns any player off, young or old, is seeing someone else get your ice time that is just stinking up the joint and doesn't get pulled from the lineup, never mind benched during a game.

At some point you stop believing the coach.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:10 PM
blandBob

Quote:
I'm actually not against that. You guys forget that Jagr is 34. In a year or two he will start to suck.

So when Jagr turns 35 or 36, I would gladly trade him and his Czech mates! We have some great prospects coming up, why not! I doubt we are going to win a Cup with Jagr at 36 or 37 or 38...
I think you're right, trade Jagr now while he's worth a lot. Shake this stupid team up. But it won't mean anything if they don't change the whole frick*in environment, turn it into a hockey team, real simple. However, I'm holding my breath.

But I hear you, let's trade Jagr, if not this year, then next. Screw it, let's play hockey.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:55 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I undertsand what Renney is saying, but there is also some coach speak in there too.
As a young player, biding their time, playing their dues you respect and understand, to a point. What turns any player off, young or old, is seeing someone else get your ice time that is just stinking up the joint and doesn't get pulled from the lineup, never mind benched during a game.

At some point you stop believing the coach.
Very good point. Eventually, trust would be lost.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:45 PM
E-Train

Quote:

Rozsival (29)
Tyutin (23)
Rachunek (28)
Girardi (22)
Pock (26)

To highlight your point even further, Pock just turned 25, Rachunek is 27 and Rozsival is 28. 21-year-old Baranka is just about ready as well.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote