HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Phillips

Old
02-06-2007, 06:47 AM
billpo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
I agree about the marketplace. The only player worth taking over Redden in dollars/performace is Spacek. Of course, I'm sure a couple of people... maybe even Billpo will point out that Salei and Kuba are putting up some numbers this year.... because they play for weak teams and are being shoe-horned into gawdawful amounts of PP time for some unknown reason.

Certainly... but as it should be; Gerber will draw more fire in that respect than Redden. An with one more year left, I'm not exactly sure what kind of strain Redden's contract could put on us.

There's nothing wrong with this years team and we have a vague idea about next years team... but no clear idea that Redden's contract will cripple us... into say, trading Spezza for Jeff Cowan.

So Billpo, util you can show a clear problem with this team caused by Redden's contract... I will consider each and every one of your posts a nonsensical rant, spurred by some unknown personal hatred of Redden... because he did something like hit on your girlfriend or didn't sign your jersey.
Listen people, I don't hate Redden. My point here is this. Unless a dman is of Bobby Orr status, he should not be your highest paid player. I think GM's will come to this realization soon enough. I think you can have a solid defence on a team without having a so called superstar. A teams money is better spent on a goal scorers and goaltenders. Ottawa, unless they go far into the playoffs will probably trade Redden in order to re sign the other dmen on the team.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 06:57 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
Listen people, I don't hate Redden. My point here is this. Unless a dman is of Bobby Orr status, he should not be your highest paid player. I think GM's will come to this realization soon enough. I think you can have a solid defence on a team without having a so called superstar. A teams money is better spent on a goal scorers and goaltenders. Ottawa, unless they go far into the playoffs will probably trade Redden in order to re sign the other dmen on the team.
I don't think you realize how important the transition offense is to this team. We have had one of the best transition offenses in the NHL for the last five years. A big reason for this is Redden, he may make the best first pass in the NHL, this is an area of his game where he is elite. Other areas he may just be very good but his first pass is unbelievable. You can't take that importance away from a team like the Sens and if the new NHL has shown anything its that puck moving defensemen are so valuable. Now would I trade Redden if it means keeping the core together, of course I would. As this season stands though, I fail to see why you complain about Redden so much? Has his salary hampered our on ice product? If the answer is no then there is no problem with what Redden is making. His salary only becomes a problem when we can't retain the core of the team and that has not happened yet.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
I would argue that having a solid defence corps is more important than offence. I would rather we scored less and got scored upon less, than vice versa. Having said that, offence sells. People want to see nifty moves, spectacular goals, and high scoring games.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 07:31 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
I don't think you realize how important the transition offense is to this team. We have had one of the best transition offenses in the NHL for the last five years. A big reason for this is Redden, he may make the best first pass in the NHL, this is an area of his game where he is elite. Other areas he may just be very good but his first pass is unbelievable. You can't take that importance away from a team like the Sens and if the new NHL has shown anything its that puck moving defensemen are so valuable. Now would I trade Redden if it means keeping the core together, of course I would. As this season stands though, I fail to see why you complain about Redden so much? Has his salary hampered our on ice product? If the answer is no then there is no problem with what Redden is making. His salary only becomes a problem when we can't retain the core of the team and that has not happened yet.
Who was Carolina's big puck moving Dman?

Old
02-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
Kaberle and nine others!

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 07:33 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Ottawa is not built like Carolina though. We are built on a transition offense. If we want to go the Carolina route we would need a new coach yet again and would have to implement a whole new system.

Edit: And how does Redden salary effect the roster this season?

Old
02-06-2007, 07:43 AM
discostu

Quote:
They aren't economists. They tend to use others players as measuring sticks and what other players got in the summer of '05 seems like chump change because there were so many UFA's. If players like Havelid & Boucher signed earlier, with those contracts in mind... before anybody could have conceiveably imagined Kubina getting $5M...
Well, just picture Havelid & Boucher realizing that Kubina had just gotten double what they signed for.

White and Van Ryn were RFA's.
They may not be economists, but, they aren't idiots either. Both the GMs and the agents were looking at the increased cap room, and figuring how it'll impact salaries from the year prior.

It's interesting that you reference the Havelid signing. The Havelid deal is a hefty one in my eyes, not as bad as Kubina, but, one on the higher end. To me, it was one of the ones that really did set the market, because it was signed early.

He was a guy that was discussed as a comparable to Pothier, who we thought we could re-sign for about $1M or so at the time. He's a guy that you would never want as more than your #3 or 4 at most, but, who gets a lot of ice time being on a bad team. When he signed, it pretty much guaranteed that we weren't keeping Pothier. Now, he's had a good season this year, so, it's making his deal seem more like a bargain.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:01 AM
billpo

Quote:
Ottawa is not built like Carolina though. We are built on a transition offense. If we want to go the Carolina route we would need a new coach yet again and would have to implement a whole new system.

Edit: And how does Redden salary effect the roster this season?
No one can predict the effect of not signing Redden on this years roster. But they could have gone after some other players who could have a bigger impact then Redden. Maybe they would have traded for Luongo, maybe the wouldn't have traded)given away) Havlat. Who knows?

But I do know this, and so do a lot of other teams come playoffs. If you pressure our defence(Redden), There is no transition game.

Old
02-06-2007, 08:09 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
No one can predict the effect of not signing Redden on this years roster. But they could have gone after some other players who could have a bigger impact then Redden. Maybe they would have traded for Luongo, maybe the wouldn't have traded)given away) Havlat. Who knows?

But I do know this, and so do a lot of other teams come playoffs. If you pressure our defence(Redden), There is no transition game.
Well the Sens did offer Phillips,Emery,Havlat and a 1st for Luongo so they tried.

Would you have made Havlat the highest paid player on the team, by resigning Havlat and letting Redden walk thats what you would have been doing.

there is a transition game in the playoffs, its not Reddens fault the forwards stay on the perimeter.

Old
02-06-2007, 08:46 AM
billpo

Quote:
Well the Sens did offer Phillips,Emery,Havlat and a 1st for Luongo so they tried.

Would you have made Havlat the highest paid player on the team, by resigning Havlat and letting Redden walk thats what you would have been doing.

there is a transition game in the playoffs, its not Reddens fault the forwards stay on the perimeter.
Of course I wouldn't have made him the highest paid player. Haven't you figured out that I a cheap SOB yet????

Redden can not take a hit. When he is pressured or he knows he's going to be hit he can't make a pass. 99% of the time when he goes to the corner with a guy, its not going to be him coming out with the puck.

Old
02-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Brandi

why are you guys even bothering. the more you argue with billpo, the more crap that gets stirred up.

this topic is going absolutely nowhere!

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:23 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

It's going to come down to the playoffs.

Redden was very good in the series against Tampa Bay but was awful against Buffalo.

So the jury is still out.

A lot of our players are going to be under the microscope in the post-season this year, provided we make it.

Future decisions governing our franchise will undoubtedly be made with playoff performances in mind.

I don't really see too many players on this team as being untradeable, and with major contracts expiring at the end of next season, we may see moves involving just about anyone.

Until the off-season however, no one is going to be traded, particularly someone of Redden's significance.

Last edited by NyQuil: 02-06-2007 at 09:34 AM.
NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:27 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
why are you guys even bothering. the more you argue with billpo, the more crap that gets stirred up.

this topic is going absolutely nowhere!
Come on Brandi. Nothing else is going on in here. We have to talk about something.
Plus, I think I'm starting to break him, he hasn't thrown out any stats yet

Last edited by billpo: 02-06-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old
02-06-2007, 10:37 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo - paraphrased by trentmccleary
Look, I'm not obsessed with Wade Redden or anything.... but Wade Redden this... and Wade Redden that... and Wade Redden the other thing. Did I mention Wade Redden? Do you know that Wade Redden...?

I'm just concerned with the finances of the team and I'm cheap.
If you were just cheap or concerned with the teams finances, your posts would show that you've even noticed that we have a $4M backup goalie on the team. But they don't... and if you've ever even mentioned Gerber at all, your post history is still 99 Redden posts for every 1 about Gerber. You have a point to make and you haven't made it, so everyday you wake up like Groundhog Day thinking that if you just phrase your argument this way or that way, you'll finally turn the world against Wade Redden and expose him for the fraud he is.

You're obsessive hatred is irrational and goes beyond any of the weak arguments you put forth each and everyday.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Brandi

Quote:
Come on Brandi. Nothing else is going on in here. We have to talk about something.
Plus, I think I'm starting to break him, he hasn't thrown out any stats yet
Hahaha ... point taken. I mean, it's pretty slow on the boards lately

I mean hell, we haven't seen a Fire Muckler or Fire murray thread started in what, a month?

Old
02-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
It's going to come down to the playoffs.

Redden was very good in the series against Tampa Bay but was awful against Buffalo.

But what does that say really, with the situation he had with his family. He wasn't going to sustain the energy to play throughout the playoffs . Too much going on in his life.

I think a better assessment should be the previous years playoffs

Old
02-06-2007, 10:57 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
I think a better assessment should be the previous years playoffs
I think a better assessment will be this year's playoffs.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I think a better assessment will be this year's playoffs.
Yup, definitely.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:54 AM
billpo

Quote:
If you were just cheap or concerned with the teams finances, your posts would show that you've even noticed that we have a $4M backup goalie on the team. But they don't... and if you've ever even mentioned Gerber at all, your post history is still 99 Redden posts for every 1 about Gerber. You have a point to make and you haven't made it, so everyday you wake up like Groundhog Day thinking that if you just phrase your argument this way or that way, you'll finally turn the world against Wade Redden and expose him for the fraud he is.

You're obsessive hatred is irrational and goes beyond any of the weak arguments you put forth each and everyday.
Yes we do have a 3.5 mill goalie, and if I was completely confident thet Emery was taking us to the promise land, I would say something. I still think Gerber is a good goalie. He has been getting a bad rap around here, but mark my words, I think we will be needing him in the near future. By the way, That was a great movie.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Yes we do have a 3.5 mill goalie, and if I was completely confident thet Emery was taking us to the promise land, I would say something. I still think Gerber is a good goalie. He has been getting a bad rap around here, but mark my words, I think we will be needing him in the near future. By the way, That was a great movie.
I agree.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Pangu

Quote:
Of the four teams to make it to the finals, 2 had payed UFA Dmen to be their highest paid player. The other two teams didn't have any really expensive marquee players. If you are going to get an expensive UFA, I would argue that a top Dman is the way to go.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:34 PM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by champben2002 View Post
Of the four teams to make it to the finals, 2 had payed UFA Dmen to be their highest paid player. The other two teams didn't have any really expensive marquee players. If you are going to get an expensive UFA, I would argue that a top Dman is the way to go.
Key word here is 'TOP'.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:35 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Key word here is 'TOP'.
And you're implying that Redden isn't a top defensemen. We get it already.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:37 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Key word here is 'TOP'.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=339300

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:43 PM