HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Chris Phillips

Old
02-08-2007, 07:20 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
scrap that, he's 38
Regardless of age, he's a guy that I highly doubt will see himself without a contract offer from Carolina. He's taking one year deals, and, has no reason to leave Carolina, where he's settled into an important leadership role.

That's the problem, the best value for money players rarely hit the open market. Their teams will lock them up before that.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 07:25 AM
The Fuhr

Andy Sutton (He would be awesome, no offense from him though and injury problems)
Vitaly Vishnevski
Ossi Vaananen
Danny Markov
Sean Hill (He might get overpaid though, having a great season)
Cory Sarich

Those are really the only defensemen available that could be in a shutdown roll like Phillips. The question now. Is Phillips at 3.0-3.5 worth more to the team then one of those defensemen at 2.0-2.5?

I think I would rather have Phillips at 3.5 then one of those guys at 2.5

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 07:41 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Andy Sutton (He would be awesome, no offense from him though and injury problems)
Vitaly Vishnevski
Ossi Vaananen
Danny Markov
Cory Sarich

Those are really the only defensemen available that could be in a shutdown roll like Phillips. The question now. Is Phillips at 3.0-3.5 worth more to the team then one of those defensemen at 2.0-2.5?

I don't think Atlanta lets Sutton or Vishnevski hit the market. They're thin on defence as it is. I think they'd give both of them fair contracts before July 1st.

I don't think Hill's a guy that can be relied on in any capacity right now. Sarich is the definition of mediocre. I wouldn't expect him to replace much of what Phillips provides.

I haven't followed Markov or Vaananen much at all this year, so, I couldn't comment there.

Another name that's worthy of consideration is Sean O'Donnell, who's been very good for Anaheim this year. But, still a big step down from Phillips. He'd have to come in around $2M to be a replacement option, and, I see him getting more than that.

Old
02-08-2007, 07:56 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I don't think Atlanta lets Sutton or Vishnevski hit the market. They're thin on defence as it is. I think they'd give both of them fair contracts before July 1st.

I don't think Hill's a guy that can be relied on in any capacity right now. Sarich is the definition of mediocre. I wouldn't expect him to replace much of what Phillips provides.

I haven't followed Markov or Vaananen much at all this year, so, I couldn't comment there.

Another name that's worthy of consideration is Sean O'Donnell, who's been very good for Anaheim this year. But, still a big step down from Phillips. He'd have to come in around $2M to be a replacement option, and, I see him getting more than that.
I agree, not many options to really replace Phillips.

Old
02-08-2007, 08:51 AM
billpo

Quote:
Will be 39 come next season and only plays 16 minutes a game as he is getting up there in age his ice time has been decreasing, playing about 13 minutes a game recently.

Hes not going to replace Phillips. I'll make a list of possible players that we could target if Phillips is not going to be resigned.
Ossi Vaananen Colorade
Daniel Tjarnquist Oilers
Ric Jackman Ducks
Brad Stuart Bruins (this guy will help when we get rid of Redden after this year)
Sydor Stars
Skoula Wild
Scott Hannen Sharks
Sopel LA
Brewer Blues

I'm sure there are many more.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 08:57 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Ossi Vaananen Colorade
Daniel Tjarnquist Oilers
Ric Jackman Ducks
Brad Stuart Bruins (this guy will help when we get rid of Redden after this year)
Sydor Stars
Skoula Wild
Scott Hannen Sharks
Sopel LA
Brewer Blues

Brad Stuart will get paid as much if not more then Phillips
Scott Hannen will get paid as much as Phillips
Eric Brewer will get paid as much as Phillips

Daniel Tjarnquist sucks as many Oiler fans will tell you.
Sydor is not a shut down defenseman
Sopel is not a shut down defenseman
Skoula is not a shut down defenseman
Jackman is not a shut down defenseman and Florida gave him away for a conditional pick, hes going to replace Phillips.

Ossi Vaananen is the only realistic choice you wrote down that could come in a play a shut down roll for 2 million dollars but everyone else is either not a shut down defenseman, not good at what they do or will make as much as Phillips.

Old
02-08-2007, 08:57 AM
billpo

Quote:
Vitaly Vishnevski
Ossi Vaananen
Danny Markov
Cory Sarich

There are people on this board willing to give him 4 to 5 million!!!!

Old
02-08-2007, 09:00 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Ossi Vaananen Colorade
Daniel Tjarnquist Oilers
Ric Jackman Ducks
Sydor Stars
Skoula Wild
Scott Hannen Sharks
Sopel LA
Brewer Blues

I don't want to see any of; Tjarnqvist, Jackman, Sydor, Skoula and Sopel in our top-4.... under any circumstances next season.

Stuart & Hannan will get at least as much, probably more than Phillips. Brewer will probably get as much or near as much... but won't nearly be worth it.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 09:01 AM
discostu

Quote:
There are people on this board willing to give him 4 to 5 million!!!!
And there would be teams willing to give some of those lesser players, that I'd pin to the $2.5M range in worth, contracts upwards of $3-4M.

If you go to the UFA market, you will pay a premium.

Old
02-08-2007, 09:08 AM
billpo

Quote:
And there would be teams willing to give some of those lesser players, that I'd pin to the $2.5M range in worth, contracts upwards of $3-4M.

If you go to the UFA market, you will pay a premium.

You don't think Stuart can replace that great outlet pass of Reddens, for half the money? Then Maybe we can give Phillips 3.5 max.

Old
02-08-2007, 09:12 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
You don't think Stuart can replace that great outlet pass of Reddens, for half the money? Then Maybe we can give Phillips 3.5 max.
If we move Redden its to keep the core together for raises to our own RFAs, I don't want to give that money to a UFA.

Old
02-08-2007, 09:18 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Going into UFA, Stuart will probably want a long term contract worth big money. He won't get as much as Redden is making next year, but he'll get more than Meszaros will be making the year after that ....and the year after that .....and maybe even the year after that too.

I fail to see how your scenario will save us money if the clear plan seems to be to give Redden 1 more year and then hand the reigns over to Meszaros.

As always, it just comes out as a plan to exorcize demon-spawn Wade Redden from our fair city for no useful purpose whatsoever.

Old
02-08-2007, 09:19 AM
discostu

Quote:
I think I missed the news conference where Stuart said that he''s only looking for $3.25M.

I do agree that there will be tough choices if we can't get Phillips signed for less than $3.5M. He's worth more on the open market, but, if we can't get him for that price, we'll have to consider a lot of different options for our blueline, many of them not that pleasant, but, you can't just assume that you'll be able to pry away other defenceman for a million or two less than what they're worth on the open market.

Old
02-08-2007, 09:28 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Going into UFA, Stuart will probably want a long term contract worth big money. He won't get as much as Redden is making next year, but he'll get more than Meszaros will be making the year after that ....and the year after that .....and maybe even the year after that too.

I fail to see how your scenario will save us money if the clear plan seems to be to give Redden 1 more year and then hand the reigns over to Meszaros.

As always, it just comes out as a plan to exorcize demon-spawn Wade Redden from our fair city for no useful purpose whatsoever.
So what you're saying is Stuart will go from 2.4 to 6.5???

Old
02-08-2007, 09:32 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Kubina went for 5, I could see Stuart getting that price range.

Old
02-08-2007, 09:38 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
He won't get as much as Redden is making next year, but he'll get more than Meszaros will be making the year after that ....and the year after that .....and maybe even the year after that too.
If he gets $4.5-$5M as a UFA, he'll be a little bit cheaper than Redden next year. But if the plan was to let Redden go and let Meszaros take over his role, than Stuart will end up being much more expensive than Meszaros and we'll end up with a long term contract that we regret.

Old
02-08-2007, 09:40 AM
discostu

Honestly, the issue at what rate we could get Stuart at is moot, since he seems very determined to go back to the West coast. I don't think he'll get $5M, simply because he's looking to put a priority on where he's going to play, but, I do think he'll get at least $4M personally. If he was willing to listen to offers from East coast teams, the Bruins would probably do everything in their power to keep him, and that price would otherwise be higher.

Old
02-08-2007, 09:59 AM
billpo

Quote:
Honestly, the issue at what rate we could get Stuart at is moot, since he seems very determined to go back to the West coast. I don't think he'll get $5M, simply because he's looking to put a priority on where he's going to play, but, I do think he'll get at least $4M personally. If he was willing to listen to offers from East coast teams, the Bruins would probably do everything in their power to keep him, and that price would otherwise be higher.
Well, you never know what happens....

Old
02-08-2007, 10:08 AM
discostu

Quote:
Well, you never know what happens....
But a GM that builds his roster plan based on hail-mary signings is unsuccessful for often than not. Making a decision on whether to sign Chris Phillips should not be dependant at all on the prospect of a signing like Stuart.

Old
02-08-2007, 10:23 AM
billpo

Quote:
But a GM that builds his roster plan based on hail-mary signings is unsuccessful for often than not. Making a decision on whether to sign Chris Phillips should not be dependant at all on the prospect of a signing like Stuart.
I'm not saying not to sign Phillips. I'm just saying not to sign him at all costs. We have options.

Old
02-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Gr8full

As far as I'm concerned they need to keep both him and A-Train together as long as they can. It's not just about Phillips or A-Train as seperate players,it's about keeping one of the best shut down pairings in the NHL together. Neither will be as good without the other. Get 'er done any way you can. Hopefully his asking price won't make that impossible but I have faith in Phillips and the fact he wants to stay here.

Gr8full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 10:43 AM
discostu

Quote:
I'm not saying not to sign Phillips. I'm just saying not to sign him at all costs. We have options.
And am saying, the Stuart option isn't a feasible option. It's a long-shot at best.

If you're going to set a price that you're willing to let a player go, you should be able to identify your options, and figure out which ones are feasible. If you identify a bunch of long shots and rant and rave that your GM is incompotent for the moves he made, you're pretty much the protypical uninformed armchair GM, that criticizes every move, but never considers what the alternatives really were.

Personally, if Phillips demands $5M, I agree, we have to let him walk. But, to me it means that we then have to make an offer to Preissing, who will demand $2.5M at least, IMO, and, that we'll likely have to start working on resigning Redden past his current contract (which I'm sure is a move that likely offends you down to the core). Even then, I'd probably still look to see if there were any decent bottom pairing defenceman that could be signed for cheap, but, I would not expect to sign a guy as a UFA and expect him to be a solid top 4 contributor for under $3M. It's too hard to find those guys on the UFA market.

Old
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8full View Post
As far as I'm concerned they need to keep both him and A-Train together as long as they can. It's not just about Phillips or A-Train as seperate players,it's about keeping one of the best shut down pairings in the NHL together. Neither will be as good without the other. Get 'er done any way you can. Hopefully his asking price won't make that impossible but I have faith in Phillips and the fact he wants to stay here.
I hope you're right. But I've seen money change people that I never thought it would.....

Old
Brandi

I'm actually interested to see how this pans out

A lot of you are hopefull that he'll pick Ottawa over more money.

I'm not so sure of that.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote