HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Trade Deadline [General Info]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2007, 05:10 PM
  #26
Venom_17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
What/who would you move Brown for? Pitt for Whitney?
Oh, baby. If we could get Whitney for Brown, I would do that in a heartbeat. Pitt would never go for it.

Might do Welch and a pick for Brown, even.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 05:14 PM
  #27
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,263
vCash: 500
As would I. Would be nice to get one of Nashville's top D prospects for Dustin Brown.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 05:17 PM
  #28
wabwat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: pasadena, ca.
Posts: 6,681
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
Oh, baby. If we could get Whitney for Brown, I would do that in a heartbeat. Pitt would never go for it.

Might do Welch and a pick for Brown, even.



Welch and a pick for Brown would NOT be a bad idea.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 06:20 PM
  #29
Venom_17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
Welch and a pick for Brown would NOT be a bad idea.
Haha, you have to admit that Pitt must like potential idea of having Brownie riding shotgun with Sid!

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:31 PM
  #30
bland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
As would I. Would be nice to get one of Nashville's top D prospects for Dustin Brown.
I'd swear we had an argument about Brown last off season where you were defending him to the hilt - am I way off base?

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:33 PM
  #31
bland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,855
vCash: 500
Welch and Armstrong for Brown and Norstrom?


Please?

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:37 PM
  #32
bland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
that said, there's PLENTY of drama that pervades these parts as well. it really is six of one... sometimes. the theif and two feebs over there sees it's congruence in snobbery here often enough.

there are fantastic posters here and some good posters there and even some (god forbid) enjoy contributing to both. people have their reasons for not returning, some of which i'm familiar with and feel they are valid... that's about as far as it should go.
It's pretty simple - avoid the personal BS and enjoy the few quality opinions and information and there's no reason you can't use both sites.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:39 PM
  #33
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
I'd swear we had an argument about Brown last off season where you were defending him to the hilt - am I way off base?
Not sure how much I defended him, but I did give him a chance to see what he can do after a full season of pro hockey, and what I'm seeing is a lack of hockey sense and agility. He can hit, whoop-de-doo.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:39 PM
  #34
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Welch and Armstrong for Brown and Norstrom?


Please?
I'd be all over that. Not sure if Pittsburgh would be willing...

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:41 PM
  #35
Sniper7
Registered User
 
Sniper7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Canada, Ca.
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sniper7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
As would I. Would be nice to get one of Nashville's top D prospects for Dustin Brown.
Trade him with Miller or Matty and maybe we could get two of Nashville's top D prospects.

Sniper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:39 PM
  #36
multiball
Registered User
 
multiball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NoHo
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to multiball
Egads, I feel like Oblio in "The Point" who just wandered into a town square of pointy-headed people! I was starting to think that next to no one was bothered by Brown's lack of progression and invisible (yet highly touted) finishing ability. In an odd way, I'm glad to know that it frustrates others too. I understand that power forwards take a bit more time to develop, but I continue to look for even a kernel of "last yard" skill out of him.

Unless the coaching staff sees something in practice that their expert eyes can see better than my fan-glasses, I would'nt be surprised to see Dustin packaged with one of the likely-to-be-dealt club (Miller / Norstrom / Avery / Sopel / Garon) for a high end prospect package.

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:45 PM
  #37
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Brown is 22. He's improved every season. Give him time is what I say. If he isn't what we hoped for by the time he's 27, let him walk or move him. So he may not be a Bertuzzi-esque power forward yet, but he's sure as hell not an Isbister. Let him improve and mature...

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:54 PM
  #38
FuTMaR*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Torrance
Country: United States
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Brown is 22. He's improved every season. Give him time is what I say. If he isn't what we hoped for by the time he's 27, let him walk or move him. So he may not be a Bertuzzi-esque power forward yet, but he's sure as hell not an Isbister. Let him improve and mature...
Reaper stop bringing reason into this thread. Let them cry and whine.

FuTMaR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:58 PM
  #39
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,263
vCash: 500
I somehow doubt we'll see Brown sticking around 'til he is 27. Name one thing he does well outside of hitting? He just isn't well rounded. People are enamored by his big hits, but it takes more to have a successful career in this league. He doesn't drop the gloves to backup for his hits, he doesn't position himself in prime scoring areas, he doesn't win battles in front of the net or in the corners. He seems to quickly shy away when confronted. I just don't think he has the makings of a top six forward and he is being forced to be one.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:10 PM
  #40
Tadite
Registered User
 
Tadite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I somehow doubt we'll see Brown sticking around 'til he is 27. Name one thing he does well outside of hitting? He just isn't well rounded. People are enamored by his big hits, but it takes more to have a successful career in this league. He doesn't drop the gloves to backup for his hits, he doesn't position himself in prime scoring areas, he doesn't win battles in front of the net or in the corners. He seems to quickly shy away when confronted. I just don't think he has the makings of a top six forward and he is being forced to be one.

He has increased in assists/goals every season. And now for the first time is playing on the PK and PP without looking out of place.

Guy is 22 years old. At his age most NHL players are wondering if they can afford to eat at the local Denny's.

Sure the guy is a work in progress. Everyone is at his age.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:13 PM
  #41
multiball
Registered User
 
multiball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NoHo
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
Reaper stop bringing reason into this thread. Let them cry and whine.
So people who see it differently than you are crying and whining? Scroll up and read the fairly well thought out opinions on one of "our own" who some feel just isn't progressing into what was originally promised - or at least, as Reaper just pointed out, maybe just not the player we were hoping for. It's time to start allowing for that possibility.

I'll admit, I wanted to see a big stride in Brown's game this year, but that's not what's happening. Do you have a course of action or a different opinion?

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:21 PM
  #42
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,263
vCash: 500
Can anyone recall Brown's last memorable performance? Look at his production over the past two months, http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...WtLg_Qk.pivLYF

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:28 PM
  #43
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post

I'll admit, I wanted to see a big stride in Brown's game this year, but that's not what's happening. Do you have a course of action or a different opinion?
I think we have seen a big stride in his game this season. Is it where we hoped? No. Is it a huge stride? No. But it's an improvement over last season, and the season before. He may not last until he hits free agency, but the kid is getting better every season. If the right deal came along, sure I'd move him. But I don't think he should be moved because some people think that at 22 he's not progressins and isn't going to get any better.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:57 PM
  #44
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,338
vCash: 500
I think that the thing is, Reaper, that his improvement isn't quite what might be expected from his new role. Last year, he was bounced around between all 4 lines, settling the majority of the time on the 3rd line, I think, and he still managed decent numbers. This season, the opportunties that he's been given have been so much greater (1st line, playing with Kopitar, 2nd PP, ice-time), but his production is only slightly up. He's on pace for the about the same number of goals. It's only his assists that are higher, and that could simply be because of the opportunities. In other words, he's not making as much out of his new role as one would hope.

I'm willing to be patient with him as far as becoming a good player is concerned, but I'm starting to lose a little patience with his abilities as a 1st-line player. I (like others here) just don't see the hockey sense, and it seems to me that he's letting his teammates down a little on the 1st line. I think that it may soon be time to acknowledge that he may just not be 1st-line material, find a more complementary role for him and give someone else a chance on the 1st line.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:22 PM
  #45
Venom_17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
Reaper stop bringing reason into this thread. Let them cry and whine.
Well, making a comment like that immediately invalidates anything else you say on this topic. Who exactly is "crying" and "whining"? Probably not the people who are logically discussing the topic...maybe you?

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:24 PM
  #46
Venom_17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I think we have seen a big stride in his game this season. Is it where we hoped? No. Is it a huge stride? No. But it's an improvement over last season, and the season before. He may not last until he hits free agency, but the kid is getting better every season. If the right deal came along, sure I'd move him. But I don't think he should be moved because some people think that at 22 he's not progressins and isn't going to get any better.
Right now Brown's value around the league is pretty high. I agree he will continue to improve, but if he will never be a 1st liner and people around the league are under the illusion that he will, then take advantage of that and deal him at the value of a 1st liner.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:33 PM
  #47
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Can anyone recall Brown's last memorable performance? Look at his production over the past two months, http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...WtLg_Qk.pivLYF
I think the reason he his production has fallen off has been icetime and opportunity. Yes he has been playing first line, and 2nd line PP, but over at least the last few games I have rarely seen the 2nd unit out there, as Crawford has been taking penalties to keep the 1st PP on the ice. He has starting killing penalties very effectively and has been playing a better twoway game than earlier in the season.

Brown has been improving every year, and at only 22 years old I feel he still has alot of potential. I think they made a mistake in rushing him into the NHL at 18 years old, then the lockout hit and two years were sort of lost, even though he did have a good season in the AHL.

I have used stats comparaisons to other power forwards such as Bertuzzi before (which were surprisely similiar), now i think i will bring up a scoring forward, who should supposedly develop faster. Patrick Marleau was also rushed into the NHL at 18 years old, and it took him 5 seasons to become a solid second line NHL player. Patience, people.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:47 PM
  #48
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgKings13 View Post
I think the reason he his production has fallen off has been icetime and opportunity. Yes he has been playing first line, and 2nd line PP, but over at least the last few games I have rarely seen the 2nd unit out there, as Crawford has been taking penalties to keep the 1st PP on the ice. He has starting killing penalties very effectively and has been playing a better twoway game than earlier in the season.

Brown has been improving every year, and at only 22 years old I feel he still has alot of potential. I think they made a mistake in rushing him into the NHL at 18 years old, then the lockout hit and two years were sort of lost, even though he did have a good season in the AHL.

I have used stats comparaisons to other power forwards such as Bertuzzi before (which were surprisely similiar), now i think i will bring up a scoring forward, who should supposedly develop faster. Patrick Marleau was also rushed into the NHL at 18 years old, and it took him 5 seasons to become a solid second line NHL player. Patience, people.

Also consider that all of these guys were drafted in 2003 as well and are not as productive as Brown.....

Jeff Tambellini
Brian Boyle
Konstantine Pushkarev
Patrick O'Sullivan

I think we forget that Brown came to LA as an 18 year old.....and that we think he is a vet because he has been here so long but he is still just a kid.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:02 PM
  #49
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
Right now Brown's value around the league is pretty high. I agree he will continue to improve, but if he will never be a 1st liner and people around the league are under the illusion that he will, then take advantage of that and deal him at the value of a 1st liner.
Well that's what I mean, if there was a deal that came along and it fit with Lombardi's plan, then sure, do it.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:37 PM
  #50
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,263
vCash: 500
The thing is, I don't want to see them give Brown away. I want to see him dealt while his value is high for a prospect or young player who has more upside. I'd deal him in a heartbeat for any of Nashville's young defensemen, or one of Brent Seabrook or Duncan Keith or Ryan Whitney or Noah Welch. I don't see Brown's ceiling being as high as those players, but with teams who are deep on the blueline, they may be able to make a sensible swap that addresses a need for both organizations.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.