HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Nutrition

Old
01-30-2007, 07:29 PM
hockey123*

vCash: 500
Hockey Nutrition

What are goods foods to eat before and days before games?

hockey123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Marns

Not a good thing to eat a couple of hours before playing.

The day before playing, I don't know. Pasta is usually good.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Slick

Great thread. I had a list from a website that I printed out that had an entire diet specifically for hockey players (though I guess alot of it would be for most athletes). I'll try and find it soon, I'm just a bit overloaded with school work at the moment.

I'd imagine pastas, steaks, chicken and breads would be great for dinner/lunch if it's a night game or the night before an afternoon/morning game. In the morning I'd go with something like a bagel w/ peanut butter and some oatmeal. Some of the more balanced cereals might not be a bad choice, and some fruit would also benefit you for sure.

If you're really serious, I'd even pack a peanut butter sandwich with you to eat in the locker room before hand. There is more protein in it than what are, in my opinion, overhyped protein bars.

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 10:11 PM
XX
It's finally over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
If you're really serious, I'd even pack a peanut butter sandwich with you to eat in the locker room before hand. There is more protein in it than what are, in my opinion, overhyped protein bars.
No, not really. Theres a lot of calories for what you get in peanut butter, and the protein content is not high (or nearly high enough to make a difference) unless you absolutely eat a lot of it. You are better off downing a gallon of water in the hour before your game than eating a peanut butter sandwich.

Over hyped? What are you using them for? What do you expect them to do?

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:10 AM
MikeD

Tending or out its prettmy much the same...

Fruits...look up glycemic index list of fruits. Honey...2 tablespoons 15 minutes prior to game and same at start of each period.

Pre-game DAY BEFORE..Carbs such as Pastas. Post game...Carb loading. Eating well all the time means you dont have to worry about game day. POST GAME: Choc milk and other carb content to replace lost blood sugar. The 45 minutes following a heavy game or work out is when the body can replace stores at the fastest rate.

Game day reduce saturated fat intake to as close to ZERO as you can. It slows the bodies ability to deliver oxygen to the muscle cells.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:37 AM
ArchieIsGod

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl..._54237568/pg_1

old article but still makes alot of good points..."Victory meals: what the pros eat on game day"(3pages)

the main thing in all the diets is PLENTY of WATER...other than that it comes down to personal preference.

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote