HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gerber

Old
01-30-2007, 11:25 PM
moz
Gute Post

vCash: 500
Just thinking - maybe his new pads will bring about a resurgence.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 03:17 AM
Mikos87

I'm hoping someone could answer this for me, do the Sens have a sports psychologist on their training staff? I agree with the users in saying Gerber's issues are all up top, but with the seemingly mentally fragile team the Sens have sported the last decade or so you'd think they'd hire someone to get to the bottom of this. With the salary cap, I think teams can spend money bolstering their staffs a little more.

Sports psychologists are employed a lot in European soccer, International level cricket, thats right cricket, and baseball, all to help athletes focus on finding their mental game. I'm pretty sure the St. Louis Cardinals hired one personally for wild man Rick Ankiel. Who was at one time the best young pitcher in baseball, but then completely lost it to a fragile mental state. They help out a lot on not only helping the athlete focus, but boosting their confidence as well. Gerber sure could use one, as could the rest of the Sens, maybe they can be put in some sort trance that will keep them from getting shell shocked and assuming the fetal position everytime they have a lead late in the third period.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 03:19 AM
Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
I'm hoping someone could answer this for me, do the Sens have a sports psychologist on their training staff? I agree with the users in saying Gerber's issues are all up top, but with the seemingly mentally fragile team the Sens have sported the last decade or so you'd think they'd hire someone to get to the bottom of this. With the salary cap, I think teams can spend money bolstering their staffs a little more.

Sports psychologists are employed a lot in European soccer, International level cricket, thats right cricket, and baseball, all to help athletes focus on finding their mental game. I'm pretty sure the St. Louis Cardinals hired one personally for wild man Rick Ankiel. Who was at one time the best young pitcher in baseball, but then completely lost it to a fragile mental state. They help out a lot on not only helping the athlete focus, but boosting their confidence as well. Gerber sure could use one, as could the rest of the Sens, maybe they can be put in some sort trance that will keep them from getting shell shocked and assuming the fetal position everytime they have a lead late in the third period.
Sens are one of the better teams in protecting their leads .. you should see the other teams

Answer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
What started the whole tailspin early in the fall was when Bryan Murray went to the media and said "Martin Gerber isn't a great goalie...he's just a good goalie". I didn't understand that one, and when Gerber is second guessing himself...it can't be a nice thing to read that in the local rag.

I'm all about tough coaching and a warrior-like attitude, but there are times when you have to stay positive and really keep the talk one on one with the goalie, behind closed doors, and stay positive while he gets through it.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:46 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leb_Hitch View Post
Makes it easier to trade him too if we have to.
Lets not forget that Gerber lost a lot of his games when the whole team played like CRAP. The guy was hung out to dry. Yes I know he let in a few soft goals, but so has Emery. At the time though, we were all being a little more critical of everyones play. Gerber is a good goalie. He will save us in the playoffs. Mark my words.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:15 AM
PlayItAgain

What pisses me off is how so much of the HF community thinks Gerber is one of the worst goalies in the league. It's amazing to me that a guy who has played quite solid for a couple years is suddenly garbage after a short stretch of bad play.

I heard Murray say yesterday that he plans to give more games to Gerber. I think it's it very important that we have two goalies ready for the playoffs just in case.

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:

No, they do not have an official one, at least listed in the media guide (which has all the directors, trainers, etc listed).

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:05 AM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
I'm not going to jump on the Gerber lovetrain just yet. He's still got a lot more work to do in my books before I have any confidence in him. It's not just the fact that he had some bad games and let in 'some' softies, it's that he let these softies in at the worst moments. We couldn't hold a lead, hell, we couldn't even score first. The team was playing poorly partly because they had no confidence in their goaltender.

As for last night's game, yeah he played well. Not spectacular. He gave up some big rebounds, and his positioning at times was quite poor. This was quite evident on Semin's rush up the right wing which Preissing stopped, and as well on Brashear's goal. If he's going to go down that early, he's got to make sure he can get across the net. It would have been an easy save to make. He also looked really slow in his movements, getting from post to post as well as getting up from his butterfly.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:28 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arob View Post
I'm not going to jump on the Gerber lovetrain just yet. He's still got a lot more work to do in my books before I have any confidence in him. It's not just the fact that he had some bad games and let in 'some' softies, it's that he let these softies in at the worst moments. We couldn't hold a lead, hell, we couldn't even score first. The team was playing poorly partly because they had no confidence in their goaltender.

As for last night's game, yeah he played well. Not spectacular. He gave up some big rebounds, and his positioning at times was quite poor. This was quite evident on Semin's rush up the right wing which Preissing stopped, and as well on Brashear's goal. If he's going to go down that early, he's got to make sure he can get across the net. It would have been an easy save to make. He also looked really slow in his movements, getting from post to post as well as getting up from his butterfly.
Where was the rest of the team on Brashears goal. The guy was all alone. All I know is this. When Emery lets in a soft goal, nobody says squat. When Gerber lets on in, OMG look how crappy he is. As far I saw last night, it was a solid performance.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:52 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico__Persson View Post
I liked his reads and he somehow kept all those scrambles out of the back of the net. He was really square in the net and looked big when in the butterfly...which he had timed very well. I would have figured his timing would have been off, but he was down before the puck arrived and really closed up nicely.

He needs to work on getting his mitt on loose pucks in front of him. It's like he can't see anything up close. Such a simple play, I don't understand it. It's almost like he's using two blockers.
Yeah, but those scrambles in front of the net were his fault.... he's got to trap pucks better, IMO. He's been pretty good on stopping the first shot, but he bobbles or drops darn near every shot he faces. That's what always gives him that "shaky" appearance. The book on him is pretty clear - he gives up rebounds, so crash the net.

There were several occasions last night where he was giving up second and third shots that had no business being scoring chances - dropping pucks right at his feet and not smothering close rebounds.

I wonder - is this the kind of things teams practise, outside of full scrimmages? For warmups, it's just guys rifling pucks at him from all sides. He can stop those, it's the "crash the net" type scenario I think he needs to work on.

jamiebez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:54 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I think it was obvious he was a bit rusty as well.

An NHL hockey game is a much more competitive situation than a practice or scrimmage and it takes awhile to get the "feel" back.

All in all, he played as well as expected and it's nice for him to come up big when he was called upon.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Just thinking - maybe his new pads will bring about a resurgence.
I can't imagine it
In this stage of the game, gear should not be the reason why he doesn't perform well. It's not like he's a rookie

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:55 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
I can't imagine it
In this stage of the game, gear should not be the reason why he doesn't perform well. It's not like he's a rookie
Well, Alfredsson's resurgence coincided with him borrowing Chris Kelly's skates.

Sometimes it's the little things that can make a huge difference, even if it's just a mental thing.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:06 AM
moz
Gute Post

Yes I was thinking of the pads as a mental thing. As far as I know goaltenders are very superstitious/particular about their equipment. Even if there is no rational base for it they can think a glove/skatelace/jock/whatever was the reason for them winning a game or making a great save, they'll keep wearing it. Can also work in the opposite ie: they'll never wear it again.

Fans are the same way. "I was eating cheetos when we lost 9-1, I never ate cheetos again and we never lost 9-1. I am their good luck charm". It's dumb but if thinking certain pads makes a certain player think he's better and play like he's better I'm 100% for it.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:18 AM
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...

I'm happy Gerber got the win last night, he deserved it. He was sharp all night considering he's been on the bench for a while now. People are right, when Emery lets in a few bad goals, it's no big deal, but when Gerbs does, everyone is calling for his head. Look at the numbers: 2.00 GAA, .932 SV in the last month. Looks good to me.

Let's be happy that both goalies are playing well. We'll need BOTH if we want to be successful in the playoffs. I don't think we can rely solely on Emery. Gerbs has something to prove after last year.

Also, I really believe that the team is getting behind him. Just look at the reactions after the win last night. We seem to be very supportive of him and that will only help him get better. Especially Neil, they seem to be good buddies. It's nice to see that he's (finally) getting comfortable with this team.

Last edited by MHX: 01-31-2007 at 11:24 AM.
MHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1nBSu-B8yY

i want more of that.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Well, Alfredsson's resurgence coincided with him borrowing Chris Kelly's skates.

Sometimes it's the little things that can make a huge difference, even if it's just a mental thing.

mental thing is a huge thing ... im not drunk!!

Answer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:04 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
Where was the rest of the team on Brashears goal. The guy was all alone. All I know is this. When Emery lets in a soft goal, nobody says squat. When Gerber lets on in, OMG look how crappy he is. As far I saw last night, it was a solid performance.
Gerber was out of position because he overplayed the puck. Sometimes your D hangs you out to dry, and that's when you have to rely on your goalie to make those clutch saves. And people not giving Emery heck when he lets in a softie? Thats hooey! Emery gets criticized as well, nobody likes a softie. The reason why Ray gets away with it is for 2 reasons: 1) He doesn't let them in often, and 2) he makes up for it by making highlight reel saves...FREQUENTLY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImCph6Td6Y4

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:10 PM
Brandi

And Razor's had a lot of games this season to make those clutch saves.

Can't expect a goalie who has played subpar to make those when he's sat for how many in the last 30 games.

Old
01-31-2007, 10:15 PM
HealthyScratches1200

"Go for a little strech dom, the goaltender on the other end is outplaying ya"

hahaha!

HealthyScratches1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:21 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Can't expect a goalie who has played subpar to make those when he's sat for how many in the last 30 games.
He played 12 of the first 17
and 8 of the past 36.

I was using the Nov. 13th end of his 5-game stretch of terror as the divider.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
He played 12 of the first 17
and 8 of the past 36.
I was using the Nov. 13th end of his 5-game stretch of terror as the divider.
Yeah, exactly.

And the team in front of him during the first 17 was not the same team as they are now.

It's not all coincodence that he had a good game last night. It's a combinations of a lot of things.

There was more to terror than just our goaltending in the first 20 games

Old
01-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Pangu

Why is Gerber getting so few games? I think this can be awnsered with another question. Is his Save% over 900 yet?

Emery's save% is up at about 920. As of the all-star break he was one of five goalies that was top-10 in all of the major goalie stats. Gerber was only optimistically viewed as a top 10 goalie, and his save % was only 906 last season.

Emery has played fantastic and Gerber seems to be at his best with limited games. Why screw with that?

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Pangu

Quote:
Yeah, exactly.

And the team in front of him during the first 17 was not the same team as they are now.

It's not all coincodence that he had a good game last night. It's a combinations of a lot of things.

There was more to terror than just our goaltending in the first 20 games
In that 5-game stretch though, it was mostly Gerber.

I would say the same thing now that I had to say at the start of the season about Gerber. He can still be a pretty good goalie, but there are serious questions about his mental game. Those questions have been underlined since the start of the season though. And beating on the Caps and Flyers won't change that.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:03 PM
trentmccleary

The stats are currently as follows.

Pre-meltdown: 6.6 GP, 2.88, 0.917... 2 W, 5, L

5 G Meltdown: 5.0 GP, 4.21, 0.843 ... 1 W, 4 L... (Nov. 6-13)

Post-Meltdown: 6.25 GP, 2.40, 0.917..... 5 W, 1 L

IMO, I'd play Gerber in 1/3 games. Playing him will rest Emery and keep Gerber sharp. Plus, if there's any idea of trading Gerber... we'll need to play him to reduce the salay dump aspect and showcase him as the useful goalie that he is.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote