HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just would like to point out

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2007, 06:41 AM
  #1
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Just would like to point out

The majority of Bruin fans are not to pleased with Charas play this season. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=338564

I don't post this to knock him because Chara was a hell of a player while here, but perhaps the Sens system made him look better then what he was. Chris Phillips is a solid partner to have. One poster called him the worst ripoff since Yashin, I don't know if he has been that bad for the Bruins.

I can't really say I am pulling for him to turn it around as I would like to see Chara not play up to 7.5 million dollars and for that deal to hamper the Bruins organization for the next four seasons.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 06:46 AM
  #2
Rico__Persson*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
The majority of Bruin fans are not to pleased with Charas play this season. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=338564

I don't post this to knock him because Chara was a hell of a player while here, but perhaps the Sens system made him look better then what he was. Chris Phillips is a solid partner to have. One poster called him the worst ripoff since Yashin, I don't know if he has been that bad for the Bruins.

I can't really say I am pulling for him to turn it around as I would like to see Chara not play up to 7.5 million dollars and for that deal to hamper the Bruins organization for the next four seasons.
It will be like that with anyone. If Redden left, he wouldn't be as supported with great players and struggle a small amount. Same with anyone in the defense core. Remember when Adam Foote signed a huge contract in Columbus a few years back? Is he still alive? He disappeared off the face of the earth, after being one of the most sought after D-men in the game...but was playing on a great team in Colorado.

This team is pretty deep and skilled. I'd like to see both of Ottawa's goalies play for the Flyers this year. There would be a drastic change in their numbers IMO.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 06:48 AM
  #3
Transplanted Caper
Registered User
 
Transplanted Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Internet Underbelly
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,708
vCash: 500
Just shows how fickle hockey fans are. Less than a couple months ago he was being called the best defenceman in the East thus far.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:05 AM
  #4
PlayItAgain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,639
vCash: 50
Chara will never live up to signing that huge contract as far as I am concerned.

Chara was a real good player for Ottawa and he still is for Boston. Problem is that he does have weaknesses that were made quite apparant in the Buffalo series. He's great at shuting down specific players who are less mobile with larger frames. Quick, speedy and shifty players will make him look silly on occasion.

I've watched sevaral Boston games this year when I can out of interest to see how he is playing. The one thing that really struck me is his lack of physical play. I think the hype about Chara's physical presence was really blown out of proportion by Boston fans in the offseason. However, Chara seems to not be playing as physical as he did with Ottawa. I'm curious as to why this is?

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:16 AM
  #5
moz
Gute Post
 
moz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: England
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItAgain View Post
However, Chara seems to not be playing as physical as he did with Ottawa. I'm curious as to why this is?
I'd assume because of his added responsibility. He's playing huge minutes - he wouldn't last long playing a wreckless physical game for 30 minutes a night. He's also probably concerned about getting injured and being forced out of the lineup or getting an injury that he can play through but not up to 100%. And he can't really fight because his team can't afford losing him for 5 minutes.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:33 AM
  #6
PlayItAgain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,639
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I'd assume because of his added responsibility. He's playing huge minutes - he wouldn't last long playing a wreckless physical game for 30 minutes a night. He's also probably concerned about getting injured and being forced out of the lineup or getting an injury that he can play through but not up to 100%. And he can't really fight because his team can't afford losing him for 5 minutes.
I'm not talking about fighting (although he should have had at least 1 fight by now). I'm talking about hitting people hard against the glass and playing tough. Remarkably, that part of his game is a lot weaker.

Chara averaged over 27 minutes a night in Ottawa last year. In Boston, he plays over 28 minutes. So I don't buy the playing minutes excuse too much.


Last edited by PlayItAgain: 01-31-2007 at 07:38 AM.
PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:02 AM
  #7
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItAgain View Post
I'm not talking about fighting (although he should have had at least 1 fight by now). I'm talking about hitting people hard against the glass and playing tough. Remarkably, that part of his game is a lot weaker.

Chara averaged over 27 minutes a night in Ottawa last year. In Boston, he plays over 28 minutes. So I don't buy the playing minutes excuse too much.
Maguire was commenting on this topic earlier in the season. He'd seen Chara after many Sens games in the past where he played upwards of 30 minutes a night, and, he saw Chara after he finished games in Boston with similar ice time. After the Boston games, he's been much more drained. In Ottawa, he had the benefit of a partner like Phillips, who was able to shoulder a great portion of the load. In Boston, he has guys like rookie Jurcina as his playing partner, and, Chara has to move around a lot more to cover much more ice. With much more defensive coverage required, it doesn't leave him the luxury of the physical play.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:36 AM
  #8
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NyLand
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,018
vCash: 500
Personally I think that they were a bit off in their assessment of what Chara typically provides.

He is NOT a mean player, not really, considering his size.

He hits, but many of those hits are rub-outs along the boards, while using his albatross stick-reach to keep players to the outside.

He doesn't fight very often, and he rarely loses his temper.

Many of the issues Boston fans seem to have with him are along these lines, in that they expected a physically dominant, mean player who defends his teammates no matter what and isn't afraid to mix it up.

Sometimes Chara is like that, but it only generally happens a few times a season, at least, according to his last few years in Ottawa.

I think he deliberately de-emphasized his physical play in order to work on his defensive positioning.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:43 AM
  #9
billpo
Registered User
 
billpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 3,696
vCash: 500
IMO neither Redden or Chara are worth their money.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:44 AM
  #10
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NyLand
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
IMO neither Redden or Chara are worth their money.
Few freshly signed UFAs are, post-cap.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:52 AM
  #11
Savannah Skunk
Registered User
 
Savannah Skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Off the banana farm
Country: Uganda
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 500
I think Chara is being unfairly judged. When he was with the Senators, we had a great lineup and Chara was not the corner stone that the team was built around. He was a great tool that we used in many situations. If he faught, the team defence could easily absorb his five minute absence. Many of his hits were players being rubbed out on the boards. He was great at clearing the net and i remember him being used on the power play several times (in front of the NET!!). I think the team's depth allowed the Senators to use Chara in multiple functions that raised his value.

Now as captain with the bruins, it seems as if his role is much more specific. He seems to be the cornerstone of defence on a poor team - resulting in a poorer +/-. It seems as if he must be much more defensively minded which has resulted in a drop off in offensive production. I also believe that the responsabilities and pressure of being captain have affected his play - i dont believe he is captain material... at least not yet. The bruins should hand over their captaincy to someone like Murray and let Chara just play his game. Chara was and still is a GREAT defenceman; however, he is not worth the kind of money the bruins are paying him. He is not Lidstrom or Pronger. Bruins fans should be more realistic in their expectations of Chara.

Having said that, i'm glad we have Redden.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:53 AM
  #12
Brandi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,558
vCash: 500
So what.

Boston isn't playing well, and Chara is the captain.

Speaking ill of him means nothing. We've done the same with Alfie here.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:11 AM
  #13
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Personally I think that they were a bit off in their assessment of what Chara typically provides.

He is NOT a mean player, not really, considering his size.

He hits, but many of those hits are rub-outs along the boards, while using his albatross stick-reach to keep players to the outside.
I disagree with this assessment. I think he was a pretty mean player. He was miserable to play against in front of the net. Fortunately for opposing forwards, the new rules post-lockout meant that he couldn't get away with as much.

He rarely lost his head, and started playing stupidly or anything, but, he did get mean, and make sure he got little extra shots in here and there. What's interesting to note is the hit counts. He was usually near the top of the league in this category. Again, I relate it back to having a player like Phillips, who will cover for you when you want to go out of your way to make the big hit. It's interesting to note how much more frequent the A-Train hits are, when Phillips is his partner.

The more I look at it, the more I think that Chara's problem in Boston is that he's been expected to wear too many different hats. He's their best defensive defenceman, their best physical defenceman and their best offensive defenceman (all by pretty wide margins, IMO). Throw in being the captain of a team that he's with his first season with, and consists of guys that have not played with each other much, and have had a lot of roster turnover. He's been made the face of an original six franchise after losing a Hart winning player last year.

All this adds up to a player who's taking on much more than he's ever had to before. He seemed to embrace all of this at the beginning, but, perhaps it's wearing on him. Just the captaincy role on its own is a big enough adjustment.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:13 AM
  #14
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NyLand
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,018
vCash: 500
IMO, for a guy as big as he is, he could be a hell of a lot meaner.

Instead, he decided to improve as a defenceman.

The real question is whether he was a better old NHL player than a new NHL player.

I know I have my opinion.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:25 AM
  #15
H2O
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,759
vCash: 50
Chara's expected to shoulder the Bruins this season, in order to live up to his big contract. I don't know if any other player, when put in the same situation, can do much better. Contract aside, all that should matter to Bruins fans is that they would be much worse off without Chara. If you consider the big contract, Chara is a player you can build your team around.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:26 AM
  #16
Brandi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Chara's expected to shoulder the Bruins this season, in order to live up to his big contract. I don't know if any other player, when put in the same situation, can do much better. Contract aside, all that should matter to Bruins fans is that they would be much worse off without Chara. If you consider the big contract, Chara is a player you can build your team around.
completely agree

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:33 AM
  #17
OttawaGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,080
vCash: 500
Chara's been cooling off since the lockout as far as I'm concerned. He spent the first half of last year getting hooking penalties and then was beat wide often the rest of the year.

Chara isn't built for the 'new NHL' which is why Muckler chose Redden. Unfortunately for Boston he will only get worse as time goes on. I'm sure a lot of his decision wasn't about money but about contract length.

A 2 year deal for Redden isn't as bad but in 2 years Chara could look horrible and would have lost out on a lot of money had he signed in Ottawa.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:38 AM
  #18
Human Megaphone
Registered User
 
Human Megaphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
I think we have come full circle to our post playoff loss thoughts on this board. I don't think anyone contests that Chara is a good/great player. I personally would liked to have seen him signed over Redden, but that's moot. Chara does some things really well, but there is a reason why there is a top three NHL dmen and then guys like Chara, Redden etc. The problem is, is that we have paid them like they are in the top 3 and that creates unrealistic expectations.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:42 AM
  #19
Answer
Registered User
 
Answer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,686
vCash: 500
...

was i the only one who taught chara was way overrated even when he was a senator ...

i knew bruins gonna regret their decision sooner or later by making him the captain and signing him a huge deal that he just doesnt deserve .. he isnt a leader type and this new NHL doesnt really suits his style ...


Pronger went to a crappy defensive team(oilers) and kept his all-star status ...

so everything said in defense of chara and why he isnt performing is just lame excuses ... only bad players need excuses



EXCUSES EXCUSES EXCUSES ...

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:47 AM
  #20
OttawaGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpLiCiT_P1ayA__ View Post
was i the only one who taught chara was way overrated even when he was a senator
Chara is a 4-5M defender, 7.5 is ridiculous. Redden isn't worth 6.5 either but at least he's only signed for 2 years.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:48 AM
  #21
H2O
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,759
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone View Post
I think we have come full circle to our post playoff loss thoughts on this board. I don't think anyone contests that Chara is a good/great player. I personally would liked to have seen him signed over Redden, but that's moot. Chara does some things really well, but there is a reason why there is a top three NHL dmen and then guys like Chara, Redden etc. The problem is, is that we have paid them like they are in the top 3 and that creates unrealistic expectations.
You're right about the unrealistic expectations. While we all would like to see a player's salary determined based on his performance, we also know it doesn't work that way. Therefore, I think Mucks made the right choice by signing the cheaper contract in Redden, eventhough I would rather have Chara.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:54 AM
  #22
H2O
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,759
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpLiCiT_P1ayA__ View Post
was i the only one who taught chara was way overrated even when he was a senator ...
I didn't think he was overrated. Chara was one of the best shutdown defenseman when he was here. Guys like Jagr and Ovechkin are often visibly frustrated when playing against us last season. The lack of Chara in our defensive core is pretty obvious to me this season. But I'm really happy with progress of our defensive core, thanks to Volchenkov and Phillips stepping up this season, we don't really miss Chara all that much.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:56 AM
  #23
Answer
Registered User
 
Answer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Chara is a 4-5M defender, 7.5 is ridiculous. Redden isn't worth 6.5 either but at least he's only signed for 2 years.

atleast he makes our team better in every aspect of the game ... and isnt really giving us much to complain about .. or is he?

Redden is a smart leader and an elite player ... well i do agree 6.5 is a little outta control but atleast its a million less than chara

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:04 AM
  #24
CheeseSandwich*
 
CheeseSandwich*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gloucester
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,738
vCash: 500
Chara and Redden are good but they are not Niedermeyer, Lidstrom or Pronger.

They get paid like the big 3 only because so many people wanted them when they were UFAs.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:06 AM
  #25
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NyLand
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by preissing on aisle 9 View Post
They get paid like the big 3 only because so many people wanted them when they were UFAs.
Precisely.

Market value is difficult to establish because it isn't fixed from year to year.

Guys like Pronger and Alfredsson were signed during the pre-cap uncertainty to what turned out to be bargain contracts.

Now, the cap may rise even further, extending the maximum salary and the amount of room that teams have. Combine that with the forced minimum salary cap and you have small market teams signing the odd superstar (i.e. Havlat) as a marketing initative and to meet that minimum requirement.

The only real measure of a salary is a comparison with other UFAs signed in that same year.

Thus, a guy like Kaberle is a real bargain compared with others like Kubina, McCabe, Chara and Redden who were signed at the same time.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.