Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sportsnet broadcasts are terrible...

Old
01-31-2007, 08:24 PM
rosey6629

vCash: 500
Sportsnet broadcasts are terrible...

because of Peter Lombardias. What an idiot. I miss the days when Global had the Game of the Week on Saturday afternoons. I cant even watch the Memorial Cup now on TV because of the idiot play-by-play guy. Worst announcer I've ever heard in my life.

Actually while we're on it, I have yet to see a GOOD Sportsnet on-air personality. I think they are all just TSN rejects. Getting harder and harder to watch Blue Jays games too thanks to Jamie Campbell.

So in conclusion, Peter Lombardias is BRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUTTTAAAALLLL.

rosey6629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:03 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

He's not as bad as he used to be, but he does know his stuff.

I'm just glad someone is covering junior hockey on a regular basis. The other sports networks don't.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Loubardias has one annoying voice, but he knows his stuff. He's definitely got some annoying speech habits but so does every announcer. I prefer his knowledge of the players to everyone else out there.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:27 PM
rosey6629

What knowledge of players? He knows where they are from? All he has to do is look at his media kit to do that.

Old
01-31-2007, 10:31 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosey6629 View Post
What knowledge of players? He knows where they are from? All he has to do is look at his media kit to do that.
If tonight's game was the only game you've watched Loubardias do, then I can see why you'd think that. But in a normal Game of the Week, it's pretty easy to tell that he follows junior hockey a lot more than most.

Old
01-31-2007, 11:18 PM
rosey6629

Believe me its not the first game i've heard Lombardias call.
And he should follow Junior hockey, its his job.
He tries to make the game his own... thinks he is coming up with his own signature goal call with that annoying "sssscoooooooowwwwwrrrssss". Brutal.
Having said that, its a growing problem in sports broadcasting...find good broadcasters that is.
I miss the days when TSN had exclusive Jr coverage and Paul Romanuik did the play-by-play.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:01 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
He tries to make the game his own... thinks he is coming up with his own signature goal call with that annoying "sssscoooooooowwwwwrrrssss". Brutal.
Having said that, its a growing problem in sports broadcasting...find good broadcasters that is.
I miss the days when TSN had exclusive Jr coverage and Paul Romanuik did the play-by-play.
I've always liked Loubardias as a play-by-play guy. And what's wrong with a guy having a distinct and different call for when someone scores?

TSN and junior hockey? Isn't the only junior hockey TSN ever covered the world juniors?

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:39 AM
BadNewsBearcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
I've always liked Loubardias as a play-by-play guy. And what's wrong with a guy having a distinct and different call for when someone scores?

TSN and junior hockey? Isn't the only junior hockey TSN ever covered the world juniors?
I think a while back they also covered the Memorial Cup finals as well. But I agree with you, I like Loubardias. You can tell he gives a crap about the junior leagues, and it's not just his job to do so.

BadNewsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:03 AM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Lombardias is in the same boat as McGuire for me. They have annoying tenancies but there goods out weigh their bads. They both have great passion and make true attempts to know as much as possible.

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBearcat View Post
But I agree with you, I like Loubardias. You can tell he gives a crap about the junior leagues, and it's not just his job to do so.
Agreement here too. They're plenty fine. Mind you, I'd tune in to junior hockey broadcasts even if, I dunno, somebody REALLY bad (like Bob Cole?) was calling the games, so the bottom line is that I really don't care who calls it or how they do it. But Loubardias and Cosentino are a-ok with me.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:54 AM
knights2005

Loubardias is very hard on the ears....he has a brutally nasal voice when he does play by play on TV like he's trying to distinguish himself. If you manage to catch Loubardias on radio (FAN 590 for example), you can barely tell that it's him because he uses his normal speaking voice.

knights2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 05:13 PM
hockeyprincess

Every time I hear Peter Loubardias say "Oh my goodness!" in that nasal snarly voice of his, I want to scream. He is horrible!!!!!!

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 05:31 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Lombardias is probably my favourite announcer because there isnt any bias shown to on team

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 06:00 PM
RUSqueelin

Quote:
Lombardias is a junior hockey encyclopedia. I guess McGuire, as mentioned, is a good comparable, really know there stuff but the delivery is bad.

I find that Lombardias's problem is that he tries to dumb down the broadcast for the audience - he talks like its the first time you've seen a junior game - gets annoying for people who follow the league.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 06:35 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSqueelin View Post
I find that Lombardias's problem is that he tries to dumb down the broadcast for the audience - he talks like its the first time you've seen a junior game - gets annoying for people who follow the league.
I agree that Loubardias does explain things in great detail and that's annoying to those of us that follow the CHL, but in his defense, I'm sure they're hoping to have a lot of viewers that don't follow the leagues.

Old
02-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
I agree that Loubardias does explain things in great detail and that's annoying to those of us that follow the CHL, but in his defense, I'm sure they're hoping to have a lot of viewers that don't follow the leagues.
When I tune into a WHL game, the way he does things is very informative. So I guess that goes with what you're saying.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Boomhower

I just can't stand all the commercials when you're at a game and it's being covered by Sportsnet.

Personally frusterating, but I also think the play on the ice can suffer, junior players are used to a fast flowing game and I think all the stoppages can be a distraction.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 06:56 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
I just can't stand all the commercials when you're at a game and it's being covered by Sportsnet.

Personally frusterating, but I also think the play on the ice can suffer, junior players are used to a fast flowing game and I think all the stoppages can be a distraction.
Agree completely - I hate them. The game is always late starting and drags out endlessly.

Old
02-22-2007, 10:33 AM
SimonTemplar

Back to the old days of Global putting you to sleep with the ever exciting Jack Millar ramping it up. Snnnnooooooooze fest.

Sportsnet do a great job with Loubardias and his partner ( forget his name ) is also a walking dictionary on anything Junior. These guys do their homework around the league allweeek knowing whats going on in most major centers.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Alpine

Look at the bright side....Lombardious is a dick and his cohort is worse. But they have an encylopdiac knowledge of Junior hockey.
I'd rather have no television coverage of Maritimes CHL then have those two ever set foot in Moncton again. Upper Canadian snobs.
But this weeks CHL game of the week Shawinigan/Drummondville is also on RDS.
I hope those two got seafood poisoning when they were down east last and never have to leave the centre of the universe again.
Hmmmm, think I'll watch the RDS broadcast. )

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Look at the bright side....Lombardious is a dick and his cohort is worse. But they have an encylopdiac knowledge of Junior hockey.
I'd rather have no television coverage of Maritimes CHL then have those two ever set foot in Moncton again. Upper Canadian snobs.
But this weeks CHL game of the week Shawinigan/Drummondville is also on RDS.
I hope those two got seafood poisoning when they were down east last and never have to leave the centre of the universe again.
Hmmmm, think I'll watch the RDS broadcast. )
So they won't be on your Tv this weekend, well that's a shame.

Just what have they done to recieve such poetry from Moncton, did they not yell Luc loud enough.

I thought they were very generous towards Moncton last spring fans included.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 01:09 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm

Loubardias is quite enthusiastic about the game. He seems to highlite the stuff that the fans want to hear. Can't see what there is to complain about.

I guess no matter who is calling a game somebody will be unhappy about something.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 06:08 PM
MsWoof

I can't listen to him for more than a few minutes. As much as I love hockey, he's one of the few announcers who make me turn the channel. I don't find him that knowledgeable, he is a fan and he knows some things but it's mostly stats, hometowns etc. He mispronounced "Aliu" throughout the prospects game, I mean, anyone who is involved in the OHL must have heard his name a million times because of the incident in Windsor. Everyone pronounces it Aloo but good ole Peter says Alleyoo.

I also can't stand listening to him drool over the players. Every player is amazing to him, and wonderful young men. Nominate them for sainthood already and get off my tv!

I have heard a rumour that he's not being renewed by the Edmonton Oilers next year. Sam Cosantino (sp??) would be much better off with another announcer as he's pretty knowledgeable of the OHL.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:01 PM
David McConnor
Unregistered User

vCash: 202
I like Loubardias. The knowledge and passion is there, and the voice doesn't bother me.

David McConnor is online now   Reply With Quote