HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Trade Rumors!?!

Old
02-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Brunosan

vCash: 500
Honestly, I don't see why we'd move MAB for Van Ryn, let alone the whole package that Ari is offering up. What has Van Ryn done that MAB hasn't? He's got worse numbers, with more ice time, on a team with more GF and a better PP...and he's had 100 more NHL games to develop.

Maybe he's better defensively, but his stats don't show it. The biggest difference I see is in their salary. Van Ryn's "sweetheart deal" is 2 million dollars/year more than Bergeron. That's huge! Is Van Ryn 3 times better than MAB?

Frankly, I'm amazed by all the constant talk on this board of moving MAB. It would tie the team's hands for the future. If you were to make a hypothetical Van Ryn for MAB move, you then have to swap out another Sykora/Pisani/Stoll type forward for a rookie next year to accommodate the extra salary.

We need to have some cheap guys on the team in order to compete...and MAB brings great value for his 1 million dollars. Sure he coughs it up once in awhile, but his +/- isn't terrible and he's one of the few d-men we have that can rush and shoot the puck.

Lowe isn't going to make any of these proposed moves. Torres and MAB don't move unless it's for something significant. (i.e. not a rental or a minor upgrade on D)

Brunosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:05 AM
thebkon

WOW!!! I started this thread to see what Dreger had to say and it blew up like every other thread by the 3rd post!

thebkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:10 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunosan View Post
Honestly, I don't see why we'd move MAB for Van Ryn, let alone the whole package that Ari is offering up. What has Van Ryn done that MAB hasn't? He's got worse numbers, with more ice time, on a team with more GF and a better PP...and he's had 100 more NHL games to develop.

Maybe he's better defensively, but his stats don't show it. The biggest difference I see is in their salary. Van Ryn's "sweetheart deal" is 2 million dollars/year more than Bergeron. That's huge! Is Van Ryn 3 times better than MAB?

Frankly, I'm amazed by all the constant talk on this board of moving MAB. It would tie the team's hands for the future. If you were to make a hypothetical Van Ryn for MAB move, you then have to swap out another Sykora/Pisani/Stoll type forward for a rookie next year to accommodate the extra salary.

We need to have some cheap guys on the team in order to compete...and MAB brings great value for his 1 million dollars. Sure he coughs it up once in awhile, but his +/- isn't terrible and he's one of the few d-men we have that can rush and shoot the puck.

Lowe isn't going to make any of these proposed moves. Torres and MAB don't move unless it's for something significant. (i.e. not a rental or a minor upgrade on D)
Beautifully said.

For that reason, I don't see Lowe making any major moves.

Unless its Ryan Smyth.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

I hope that you folks paid special attention last night to those players you are proposing to deal away, and saw what other teams do when they look at them. Bergeron was terrible and responsible for fist full of scoring opportunities, including two back breakers. Winchester didn't even play. Any scout sitting in the stands isn't going to be getting warm and fuzzies watching these guys and is not going to be recommending giving up much of value for them in return.

Lanny MacDonald* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
I have a premonition type feeling and it keeps growing on me the more I think about it. Lowe will pull a few triggers while the Oil are down in the Eastern Conference in the middle of their roadtrip. They head east after their three game home stand and the first game is against Boston.. which should be very interesting.. a chance for both teams to scout one another while playing against one another.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 06:02 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkon View Post
WOW!!! I started this thread to see what Dreger had to say and it blew up like every other thread by the 3rd post!
this is not blowing up

wait till the oilers make a trade where people love it or hate it

The Roloson trade is an example of a thread imploding===when mod start pulling their hair out and think it maybe time to watch cricket instead--that is when you know this place ahs blown up

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
http://www.***********.com/rumours.html

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
WOW,

Please tell me that one is bunk. Horcoff is not a bad player, he had a bad start to the season. Anyone who watched last season, his season in Europe, and the last 30 games knows he is a good player who has had a stretch of crappy play. I like Samsonov, with Thornton, but he has lost his ability and Rivet is no upgrade on what the Oilers have IMO.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
ROCHESTER DEMOCRAT & CHRONICLE: Sal Mairona reported yesterday Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier has to decide if he'll keep "in place one of the most reliable backups in the league in case anything should happen to Ryan Miller, or roll the dice and bank on Miller avoiding injury and/or a slump down the stretch and dealing Biron to augment other areas of the team." Mairona notes "Teams such as Colorado, Montreal, Edmonton and Toronto are all battling for their playoff lives and might regard Biron as just the upgrade in net they need to make Lord Stanley's tournament."

I dont know about you guys, but I'd like Biron. Roli's getting old, and I'm doubting his effectiveness as a starter at age 37 and 38

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Poochiemoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
ROCHESTER DEMOCRAT & CHRONICLE: Sal Mairona reported yesterday Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier has to decide if he'll keep "in place one of the most reliable backups in the league in case anything should happen to Ryan Miller, or roll the dice and bank on Miller avoiding injury and/or a slump down the stretch and dealing Biron to augment other areas of the team." Mairona notes "Teams such as Colorado, Montreal, Edmonton and Toronto are all battling for their playoff lives and might regard Biron as just the upgrade in net they need to make Lord Stanley's tournament."

I dont know about you guys, but I'd like Biron. Roli's getting old, and I'm doubting his effectiveness as a starter at age 37 and 38
But Buffalo won't want Roloson back. So then we have Biron and Roloson? And, our problem is defense, not the need for a goalie. And Rivet is UFA (I think). And Samsonov weighs as much as Tkachuk did last year (and he's 2 feet shorter).

Poochiemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochiemoo View Post
But Buffalo won't want Roloson back. So then we have Biron and Roloson? And, our problem is defense, not the need for a goalie. And Rivet is UFA (I think). And Samsonov weighs as much as Tkachuk did last year (and he's 2 feet shorter).
Nice Samsonov/Tkachuk reference. Made me laugh

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Poochiemoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
WOW,

Please tell me that one is bunk. Horcoff is not a bad player, he had a bad start to the season. Anyone who watched last season, his season in Europe, and the last 30 games knows he is a good player who has had a stretch of crappy play. I like Samsonov, with Thornton, but he has lost his ability and Rivet is no upgrade on what the Oilers have IMO.
Rivet is a pretty solid defenseman. He would be an upgrade for sure over Smid on the second pairing, but this is not the upgrade we need at all.

Old
02-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Jamie

Rivet is a UFA at season end, but if we got him for something like Peterson and a 3rd, I'd be all over that. He'd bring alot to this team.

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:23 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Lol. Horc finally start to look like last year's player again and we move him for a guy who went through waivers and a 5/6 UFA d-man. That could be one of the worst "rumors" I have ever heard.

Hire McLellan Draft McDavid. Solidify the D and G
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:46 PM
TheGreatone94

Now that Nashville has Vishnevski, I think they would be willing to deal. Zidlicky looks like the odd man out to me, and is a guy who could play on our top pairing. Hopefully Lowe is pursuing him as he isnt a rental and is very similar to Lubo

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Cerebral

Horcoff has essentially been a point/game guy over his last 25 games and we're going to trade him away for a guy who passed through waivers? A couple more multi-point games and Horcoff will be on pace for 65 points which is exactly what I expected him to score this year (and a Horcoff with 65 points is a damn valuable player).

02-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

vCash: 50
That *********** site is pure crap! I wanna start a site where I throw out utter bull and have people talk about it. What the hell would we want with Samsonov... a player we could have had for free earlier this week. Plus he looks like bloody Vladmir Krutov right now.

So that essentialy would make the deal a 1st line center whos at a ppg pace the last 20 odd games for an upcoming 2nd pair at best UFA D?

I do believe Rivet will be gone by the deadline though. He's had his issues with Carbo and doesn't look like he wants to re-sign in the summer. I think we should make a play for him. he's solid defensively and would be very motivated to prove the Habs wrong. We have alot of middling prospects in our system... what do the Habs need most?

02-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Poochiemoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
That *********** site is pure crap!

I do believe Rivet will be gone by the deadline though. He's had his issues with Carbo and doesn't look like he wants to re-sign in the summer. I think we should make a play for him. he's solid defensively and would be very motivated to prove the Habs wrong. We have alot of middling prospects in our system... what do the Habs need most?
I was in Montreal a couple of weeks ago and the local media were suggesting he is on the way out. He would be a fine addition in the form of experience to our d-corps, but he is not the fix -- though I can't help but think that with Hejda playing so well and if Shaggy was on the bottom pair maybe one solid, experienced d would make a significant difference.

Anyway, I think we need more than Rivet. And about 6 weeks ago

Last edited by Poochiemoo: 02-10-2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: to add
Old
02-10-2007, 03:00 PM
serum114

I would love to get Rivet if the price was right (non-essential roster player/prospect and a 3rd or later).

Who wouldn't want another Staios for the stretch run?

serum114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Freezerburn

I didn't want to start another thread, I am just curious. If the Oil were willing to part with Smyth (assuming they are out of the running) what sort of return would they be looking for? Or would he even be available at all?

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Poochiemoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
I didn't want to start another thread, I am just curious. If the Oil were willing to part with Smyth (assuming they are out of the running) what sort of return would they be looking for? Or would he even be available at all?
If the contract talks don't solidify into a deal soon and the Oilers don't play fantastic hockey the rest of the way, you would have to consider him in a trade. I am sure that if the Oilers lose 5 of their next 7 (with Minnie playing just ok), many offers will be made to acquire Smyth. I think the organization would have to consider this opportunity.

For me, I hope we sign him and avoid this whole mess, but you would have to look at one of the top deadline rental deals for a first-line winger over the last 5 years for a comparison. Smyth will command premium. Can you imagine the addition of him to anyone of the line-ups of Nashville, San Jose, Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo...?

Old
02-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Freezerburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochiemoo View Post
Can you imagine the addition of him to anyone of the line-ups of Nashville, San Jose, Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo...?
I could, hence the question

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Poochiemoo

Quote:
I could, hence the question
Fair enough.

Old
02-10-2007, 03:43 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Personally, if we are taking the risk of losing Smyth (and after he hits UFA, who knows what a team like TO may offer him given their winger situation), I would prefer to package him with Smith and MAP/JFJ and shop them to all the contenders. This allows the receiving team to keep Smith cheap for next year after the playoffs along with MAP or JFJ, so they have something to show for the trade along with the cup run. And a Smyth, Smith, MAP/JFJ package would be extremely attractive to any GM looking for a cup this year. It would turn someone into the clear favorite.

Basically whoever offers up the best kids wins. I would be looking at something like Radulov and Weber. Yes, that high. So from Buffalo, it would likely be Vanek + a decent D kid or prospect.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:01 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
I'm not familiar with Buffalo's prospects.. but probably something along the lines of Stafford and a 1st.

That said, all indications are that a deal is going to be made and the Oilers won't be left in that predicament.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote