HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hugh Jessiman

View Poll Results: Did Jessiman make a mistake to leave school early???
Yes, the injury that he had, could have set him back 18 20.93%
Yes, if he finished school, he would be a regular on the Wolfpack 11 12.79%
No, the Pro game will help him more in the longrun 10 11.63%
No, it wont matter, he is not gonna make the NHL as a full time player 47 54.65%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-02-2007, 09:38 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Hugh Jessiman

Did Jessiman make a mistake to leave school early??? I voted for Yes, the injury that he had, could have set him back. He had that injury where he missed alot of time, he should have stayed the extra year.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

for the rangers, jessiman's biggest mistake was saying he was a fan! its about time someone else cashed in on their loyalty to the team I guess.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:59 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Jessiman was a gamble that Sather lost big on.

the 5 players take immediately after him have all played in the NHL.

Jessiman is in my opinion and I may be allon in that opinion a bust

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:01 PM
SML

Thanks for your input, Karnak. Where were you saying this when he left school, was the crystal ball in the shop? Anyone can sit here monday morning QBing decisions after the fact. Just because he's not in the NHL yet doesn't necessarily mean he'd be any farther along if he stayed at Dartmouth.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:11 PM
FLYLine24*

There's no real answer of course because we can't go back and try each situation out, but I voted he did make a mistake.

But really, who knows, even if he stayed and put up 60 points in 38 games he could have still been at the same spot he is now.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:56 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

How many times are we gonna bring this kid up for conversation. We got the picture he was a bust pick for a 1st rounder. Maybe wouldnt be as bad if he was drafted in the 3rd round. Yes it hurts because we could of had other guys like Parise but Sather and company messed up, move on.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:21 PM
FLYLine24*

I got a question...how does Jessiman dominate the ECHL and absolutely stink it up in the AHL?

ECHL stats: 28GP - 21G - 17A - 38P
AHL stats: 71GP - 8G - 16A - 24P

Of course the ECHL is easier then the AHL but those are some pretty big differential stats even by the leagues.

If Jessiman could take that next step in the AHL it will maybe...just maybe...put him on the path to the NHL...but he's proven he cant, then again though has proven that once again he should be re-called from the ECHL to the AHL given then next chance.

The man is like stuck in the middle of the ECHL and AHL...he's got to take that next step already!

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 02-03-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old
02-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Block More Shots

I haven't given up on him completely yet. There are always late bloomers. I voted that yes, it would've helped if he stayed in school. Think about it...if he's struggling to secure a spot on the Wolfpack and even Charlotte, that just goes to show you that he made the jump too quickly. He may have developed a little bit more by playing his way through college and then making the jump.

Figures...Hugh was probably overconfident and felt that he could jump right in, but in reality, he should've just taken the long road to the NHL, not a shortcut.

I'm still hoping he pans out but the coaching staff needs to show more confidence in him. Play him consistently on the top 2 lines even if he's struggling a lot. If he shows improvement, he shoud be promoted so Hugh himself knows that he's doing better and that people see hope in him.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:31 PM
mike14

who were jessiman's line-mates while in hartford this season?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 12:04 AM
SML

I think the guy does have some talent. I think he's caught in a situation where he's not getting the great situations in HFD, and he's not a really defensive minded player. If he's not on your top two lines, he's out of his element, the same way Dawes was when they called him up and put him on the fourth line. Bad fit. The best thing the kid can do to try to make something of himself is to go to Charlotte and work his butt off. Keep a great attitude. Work really hard on his skating and his play away from the puck. Get himself in not just good enough shape, but great shape. These are all things that the staff is going to look at in the fall. These are the little details that give you the extra break when it comes down to you or one other guy. If the staff knows you have the work ethic, you're going to get the breaks. Jessiman has to show this organization that he really truly wants to be a player. Not every first rounder goes straight to the NHL. It's where you end up that counts. Nobody remembers how long it takes you to get there, and once you're there, nobody cares anymore.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Pizza

Here.....we.......go........again.....

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Geogaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I got a question...how does Jessiman dominate the ECHL and absolutely stink it up in the AHL?

It might sound stupid, but I bet he has a ton of Confidence down in Charlotte. That can effect a person game play a ton. I would just like to see him with that same confidence in Hartford.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 04:16 AM
Choice

Quote:

Of course the ECHL is easier then the AHL but those are some pretty big differential stats even by the leagues.

If Jessiman could take that next step in the AHL it will maybe...just maybe...put him on the path to the NHL...but he's proven he cant, then again though has proven that once again he should be re-called from the ECHL to the AHL given then next chance.

The man is like stuck in the middle of the ECHL and AHL...he's got to take that next step already!

My guess is that the differences between the ECHL and the AHL benefit a player like him. He's a relatively big guy, playing against smaller defensemen in the ECHL. He's playing against worse, slower defensemen in the ECHL. He's also playing against markedly worse goaltenders in the ECHL.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 05:20 AM
eco's bones

I don't know if he's never going to make the NHL but at this point I'd say chances are he's not going to make it with us and that he turns into someone like Michael Rupp.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 08:59 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:

I want to see 2 things, one from Jessiman, the other from the organization.
I want to see him given a full, honest shot with Hartford. Play him with 2 forwards that compliment his game and give him plenty of ice time, PP, PK, etc. The second is for him to put forth the requiste effort. Not knowing the player personally I just get the feeling that he doesn't take being a pro seriously. Some what of a Jamie Lundmark attitude, its do me. He needs to play with an edge, emotion. He needs to step up and play his size. Once that starts I think things may fall in place for him.
There are those who question his sense for the game, but until this organization gives him a full blown shot I don't think we will know what he is capable of doing.

I have sense that he needs a coach, head or assistant who will ride his ass and push and prod him. Again, I could be totally wrong, but one thing is certain, the clock is getting close to the end for him.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Pizza

.....I think the clock has struck midnight and Jessiman is the great pumpkin.

Seriously, at some point it is what it is. Excuses have to stop being made for this guy. If he did not get how important the start of this year was for him then all the chances in the world won't help. I don't think that's it though. I think what it comes down to is he's just not very good past the ECHL.

I hope I'm wrong I really do. I was as big a Jessiman booster as any but it's time to face the reality that Jessiman is a bust.

Old
02-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Fletch

He didn't leave early...

he just may not have had 'it' to be an NHL, or even an AHL, player.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

While I don't know yet if this is the case with Jessiman, there are many guys that can look like stars in he ECHL, but can't play worth a lick in the AHL or NHL. A lot of it has to do with quickness of the game. Of course the skill level, but more than anything, the speed. The ECHL is pretty tough and there are plenty of big guys populating the rosters, so I don't think that Jessiman's size is what is making him successful in the ECHL. My feeling is that it is more the confidence he gets by being able to keep up with the flow of the game, and the fact that I really think that he has more skill than most of the guys there. So he just goes out on the ice, relaxes, and just plays the game. At this point, I am not sure what will happen with him, but I think that the problem is in his head, not with his skills. If I were the Rangers, I would not give up yet; he is a special situation, in that his maturity level nowhere near matches his size or age. I would not rush to bring him up to the AHL yet, either. It is my belief that to get past some of his "confidence" issues, he needs to be successful for quite awhile at this level. I would like to see him spend the rest of this season in the ECHL and then try him again in Hartford in the fall. This is strictly opinion, no inside info here, just that I have watched him, and spoken to him at length several times (but not very recently). I have not talked to the organization about him at all since December.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:42 PM
In The Flesh

He was drafted going on 4 yrs ago, and he's in the ECHL, give him 5-10 games on the rangers, with ice time, see if shows life. Kind of like a sink or swim type deal, if he sinks, stick him in the ECHL, and don't worry about his future.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:45 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
While I don't know yet if this is the case with Jessiman, there are many guys that can look like stars in he ECHL, but can't play worth a lick in the AHL or NHL. A lot of it has to do with quickness of the game. Of course the skill level, but more than anything, the speed. The ECHL is pretty tough and there are plenty of big guys populating the rosters, so I don't think that Jessiman's size is what is making him successful in the ECHL. My feeling is that it is more the confidence he gets by being able to keep up with the flow of the game, and the fact that I really think that he has more skill than most of the guys there. So he just goes out on the ice, relaxes, and just plays the game. At this point, I am not sure what will happen with him, but I think that the problem is in his head, not with his skills. If I were the Rangers, I would not give up yet; he is a special situation, in that his maturity level nowhere near matches his size or age. I would not rush to bring him up to the AHL yet, either. It is my belief that to get past some of his "confidence" issues, he needs to be successful for quite awhile at this level. I would like to see him spend the rest of this season in the ECHL and then try him again in Hartford in the fall. This is strictly opinion, no inside info here, just that I have watched him, and spoken to him at length several times (but not very recently). I have not talked to the organization about him at all since December.
A lot of what you are saying makes perfect sense. Confidence is the key. If you believe it, it will happen. At this point in time I think leaving him in Charlotte for the remainder of the year. If Charlotte gets bounced early and Hartford is stinn in the AHL playoffs you recall him.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Edge

16 people actually went back to the injury line again?

UN-believable.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 11:34 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
16 people actually went back to the injury line again?

UN-believable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
But really, who knows, even if he stayed and put up 60 points in 38 games he could have still been at the same spot he is now.

The whole thing is just a big WHAT IF. I don't think anyone here is really using that as a reason why he is stinking it up.

Old
02-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Edge

I can understand that Fly, afterall most prospect questions are WHAT IF.

But some what if's are a little more reasonable than others. The injury theory just seems to get shot down pretty good whenever a detailed Jessiman conversation comes about.

I can understand it's place in the poll, it's the number of votes for it that astonishes me.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 02:41 AM
Pizza

I think Leslie makes some very good points. Leave him in Charlotte. Maybe a good amount of success and confidence will make some kind of difference.

Old
02-04-2007, 10:15 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
What difference does it make if he left school early or not?