HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Shanahan rips refs for Jagr treatment

Old
02-01-2007, 01:46 AM
TheZherdev

vCash: 500
Shanahan rips refs for Jagr treatment

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=194452&hubname=

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:55 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Good. I agree with everything he said. Why do Ovechkin and Crosby get preferential treatment but Jagr and even guys like Forsberg never get any favors?

If this comes off as whiny, I apologize, and I know alot of our play is of our own fault, but how come the Rangers seem to end up on the short end of the officiating more than just about any other team in hockey?

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:11 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I think the mandate from last season on calling penalties has been relaxed a bit this year. At the same time don't like the fact the team is making excuses. What are the quotes supposed to mean? Only JJ can score? They need a PP to get a goal? What do the refs have to do with letting Sundin come in all alone on our goalie for the game winner? I'm sure a few Ranger players got away with some hooks and holds also, it's happening all over the league again.

Stop the excuses and just admit this team had another clunker in a season full of similar games.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:38 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Good. I agree with everything he said. Why do Ovechkin and Crosby get preferential treatment but Jagr and even guys like Forsberg never get any favors?

If this comes off as whiny, I apologize, and I know alot of our play is of our own fault, but how come the Rangers seem to end up on the short end of the officiating more than just about any other team in hockey?
Totally agreed, much like HF the NHL has forgotten who carried their ass through the dead puck era. Didnt Forsberg get a misconduct for talking to the refs last game?

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:48 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Totally agreed, much like HF the NHL has forgotten who carried their ass through the dead puck era. Didnt Forsberg get a misconduct for talking to the refs last game?
The refs have some issue with talking to the captain of the Philadelphia Flyers, which I think is complete bull ****. As a captain, it's your responsibility to go to the reffs and argue the call whenever he thinks the reffs are being biased. He's been handed four game misconducts for it.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:05 AM
Chimp

It's quite obvious the refs are biased which player and captain they are looking at. Some players could decapitate a linesman and the ref would look the other way, some players can barely cough loud and they will receive a penalty for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:53 AM
Evilo

vCash: 632
I'm not sure.
What you see is that there's probably no treatment for anyone.

Pens fans cried because Crosby didn't get a special treatment, Caps fans do the same with Ovechkin.

The other day, Blake clearly speared Crosby for no reason. He didn't get a suspension.

I think what happens to Jagr happens to everyone.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:05 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Can you blame Brendan for being furious after the game?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 07:06 AM
Speedtrials

The thing that bothers me most about the refs, is it's been a season and a half since the game came back, and the ref's haven't gotten any better. They will still make a phantom hooking call on Michael Nylander, but ignore Derian Hatcher elbowing Jagr in the head, or Richards trying to knock Tyutin's head off after the play was over. In Tyutin's case the ref was next to the play, and didn't call anything. It really has been frustrating to watch, and I would love to see Gary Bettman called out on it. If this was any other sport, this would be a much bigger deal around here. Unfortunately around these parts, very few of the media know or care enough about hockey to make this a topic on afternoon sports radio.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 07:30 AM
DutchShamrock

I'm completely baffled by the incident with Prucha and Antropov. I just don't understand how the penalties came down to 2 apiece, and Antropov's was for the highstick before everyone got together. They want to give Prucha 2 minutes for a shove but they ignore Sundin and Antropov doing the same thing. They ignore a punch to the face, which is much more deserving of a roughing minor than a shove. The Leafs were the aggressors on the play, but somehow after starting the incident and causing the most trouble during the thing, they are able to negate their own penalty.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Taz

I have to agree i was in shock, Sundin as well going after Cullen at the start and then headlocking Prucha and pushing him gets nothing, Gill Cross checking Jagr all game.... it was pretty bad last night and i dont normally say anything about the refs.

I also thought the Cullen penalty was a very weak call

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Levitate

It kind of seems to me that at the beginning of the season, Jagr was getting a lot more calls when he would carry the puck in the offensive zone. But lately, he's been getting absolutely nothing. His line can hold the puck in for minutes at a time and not draw a penalty despite drawing their share of obstruction penalties. Like Coliacovo grabbing Nylanders jersey last night and easily getting away with it, while Prucha goes to lift a guys stick and gets called for hooking.

While Prucha's penalty definitely could be called hooking, Coliacovo's holding should have been called holding. I know these things slip by during the course of a game, but I'm just using it as one example. Despite having one of the best puck control lines in the game, the number of power plays the Rangers have drawn seems to be disproportionately small.

Ultimately I think it's just bad reffing, and you can find it in just about every game. But it's still frustrating. It's not the reason the Rangers struggle, but it doesn't help.

And for the record, many teams have figured out the way to obstruct in the new NHL is using your body. Don't hook someone, but get in their way when they're going for the puck, set picks, etc. Refs let that go a lot.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:06 AM
JerseyRangers

Good job Shanny! The refs have been horrible. Jagr gets pawed game in game out without any calls then they call that bull against Cullen. Sure it was a penalty but if your calling them this close then Jagr should be drawing a ton of penalties a night. Doesn't happen! Let the NHL fine Shanny; however, coming from a respected veteran like Shanny maybe this will help!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:29 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I'm completely baffled by the incident with Prucha and Antropov. I just don't understand how the penalties came down to 2 apiece, and Antropov's was for the highstick before everyone got together. They want to give Prucha 2 minutes for a shove but they ignore Sundin and Antropov doing the same thing. They ignore a punch to the face, which is much more deserving of a roughing minor than a shove. The Leafs were the aggressors on the play, but somehow after starting the incident and causing the most trouble during the thing, they are able to negate their own penalty.

I flipped out when that went down too. Especially because it was at least the third time that I've seen it happen this year.

But at the same time, the Rangers need to be more disciplined. You know you're already going on the PP, why are you continuing to do stuff after the whistle? Of course the team that just committed a penalty is going to start something, they want to get a call of their own to negate it.

The Rangers need to swallow their pride once in awhile and not push back.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:51 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
The Rangers need to swallow their pride once in awhile and not push back.
Yeah and become the soft team that doesnt protect eachother when something happens, that way all the teams can come into MSG and punch, claw and stick anyone they would like... yeah that really works for this team.

They try to get that by having Shanny fight Brashear, Orr go after Ovechkin, and then they go right back to not? I think the Rangers have protected eachother a little better since then and i think they are a little tighter because of it. "Swallowing their pride" wont do anything for this team when they are struggling to find ways to find that pride.

Bottom line is, if that were the Devils, it would have been a 2 minutes for Toronto and none for the Devils. The Rangers have a reputation just like the Devils do (and its earned for the most part, but not right).

This is why Shanahan is right about Jagr.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:52 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah and become the soft team that doesnt protect eachother when something happens, that way all the teams can come into MSG and punch, claw and stick anyone they would like... yeah that really works for this team.

They try to get that by having Shanny fight Brashear, Orr go after Ovechkin, and then they go right back to not? I think the Rangers have protected eachother a little better since then and i think they are a little tighter because of it. "Swallowing their pride" wont do anything for this team when they are struggling to find ways to find that pride.

Bottom line is, if that were the Devils, it would have been a 2 minutes for Toronto and none for the Devils. The Rangers have a reputation just like the Devils do (and its earned for the most part, but not right).
Yeah it's so much better to give away power play opportunities by getting an extra shove or two in.

Boy we really showed them!

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Onion Boy

The reason Jagr doesn't get calls is because he doesn't dive when he's hit from behind. Basically, the refs are admitting that players need to dive to get their attention.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:13 AM
nyr__1994

Fine

Anyone want to set the over/under on what his fine is going to be? I would guess it is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k

nyr__1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:16 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
I'm not sure.
What you see is that there's probably no treatment for anyone.

Pens fans cried because Crosby didn't get a special treatment, Caps fans do the same with Ovechkin.

The other day, Blake clearly speared Crosby for no reason. He didn't get a suspension.

I think what happens to Jagr happens to everyone.
But guys like Crosby, Ovechkin and Jagr play differently than 99% of the guys in the league. They are so incredibly strong on the puck, so it's inevitable that they'll be hooked and held and obstructed more than the average player. As a result, they ought to be drawing more penalties than they are. It's similar to what Shaq went through and now what Yao is going through in the NBA- their games are so different than the rest of the players, the referees don't seem to understand how to deal with them.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:18 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I should add, good for Shanny. Even if there is no truth to what he is saying (although I feel like the referees do in fact do a poor job officiating players like Jagr and Crosby), I'm glad to see that he's willing to stick his neck out for a teammate. Shanny is a classy guy and a true leader.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Its a PP Goal

I know we sound like conspiracy theorists but there is such a thing as referee bias. Look no further than Rasheed Wallace or Fetisov as Shanny said. If Don Cherry has a thing against European players then maybe a few refs do too.

Jagr gets hooked, slashed and held all the time down low. He takes more punishment than anyone and doesn't draw nearly enoguh the amount of penalties he should. Maybe his strength is working against him. It doesn't look as bad because he's so strong on his skates.

Some things are inexcusable like Brashear elbowing him off the faceoff. Whey those penalties aren't called is beyond me.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:10 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Funny, I was saying the same thing tonight. I couldn't believe how much junk was going on and because of Jagrs size and because he is, well, Jagr, there weren't any calls going his way. I totally agree, Jagr was abused tonight and if it were Crosby, he would either get the call, or go down like Cristiano Ronaldo.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

I still can't believe they only gave Ponikarovsky 2 minutes in that scrum

I really REALLY despise using the refs as our whipping boy, but I have to admit, for the most part, the zebra's have been awful this year.

And the players are still being defiant! Why? Are they still told to hold, hook, interfere by their coaching staff? Look at Cullen's penalty last night. Shouldn't have mattered, but it does nowadays! Keep your hands OFF the opposition, is it still hard to grasp(so to speak)?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Canadian89

This happens to a lot of players around the league. Probably really frustrating for them. And if they speak up about it, whether during or after the game, the get penalized or fined.
While as, anyone who ever goes near Crosby gets a penalty.

But the Rangers didnt lose the game to bad reffing, they lost because they weren't able to finish even though they had ample of oppurtunities to put the Leafs away.

Canadian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:23 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian89 View Post
This happens to a lot of players around the league. Probably really frustrating for them. And if they speak up about it, whether during or after the game, the get penalized or fined.
While as, anyone who ever goes near Crosby gets a penalty.

But the Rangers didnt lose the game to bad reffing, they lost because they weren't able to finish even though they had ample of oppurtunities to put the Leafs away.
Yes we didn't finish, but it's still frustrating as hell. Even if we did win, the ****** reffing would have inevitably come up anyway because it was horrible

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote