HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanahan rips refs for Jagr treatment

Old
02-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian89 View Post
But the Rangers didnt lose the game to bad reffing, they lost because they weren't able to finish even though they had ample of oppurtunities to put the Leafs away.
They lost the game because of both.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Canadian89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
They lost the game because of both.
2 on 0 breakaway.
Empty net for shanny.
A few other breakaways.
37 shots.
Only one goal.

But yeah, it was the refs fault.

Canadian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
2 on 0 breakaway.
Empty net for shanny.
A few other breakaways.
37 shots.
Only one goal.

But yeah, it was the refs fault.
Uh, I didn't deny that.

I'm not even talking that much about poor non-calls... I'm talking about poor calls. The holding penalty on Cullen was inexcusable and the roughing penalty to Prucha was horrendous. The game had a good chance of turning out different had neither of those bad calls been made.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:35 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Uh, I didn't deny that.

I'm not even talking that much about poor non-calls... I'm talking about poor calls. The holding penalty on Cullen was inexcusable and the roughing penalty to Prucha was horrendous. The game had a good chance of turning out different had neither of those bad calls been made.
The holding call on Cullen was legit, even Shanahan admitted that. The problem is that the calls were one-sided.

And yes, the roughing call on Prucha was BS, but as I said before, the Rangers also have to be more disiplined and not take the bait that leads to a negated PP.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
I agree with everything Shanahan said too, but one thing that forgot to mention was that they were playing against the leafs....the leafs have the ref in their back pocket everygame. That is the ONLY reason they are doing as well as they have been. So that is a big reason why Jagr was treated like he was, because Toronto might have lost if Jagr was allowed to play and move around with the puck. Jagr is likely the biggest threat in the league when he is allowed to play the type of game Crosby and Ovechkin both play, but since the refs let him get hooked and held he doesn't put up the numbers he could and the Rangers don't win.
I think it is a shame that a skilled player like Jagr can't get the same favortism as any other player of his calibre. It really says something about the refs and the calls they make or don't make.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Canadian89

Quote:
Uh, I didn't deny that.

How was the holding on Cullen inexcusable?
He HELD up Pohl.
Pohl WOULD have gotten to the puck first if Cullen hadnt HELD him up for that fraction of the second.
That has been called about a million other times this season, & it always will be called.
It was NOT a bad call.
You hold up someone, & you're going to get called for it.

The roughing call was pretty bad, but the holding call was not.

Old
02-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Canadian89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I agree with everything Shanahan said too, but one thing that forgot to mention was that they were playing against the leafs....the leafs have the ref in their back pocket everygame. That is the ONLY reason they are doing as well as they have been.
That's logical, the refs are siding with the leafs, always have. It's a conspiracy. The ONLY reason they are doing well.

But wait.
The leafs are the 5th most penalized team in the nhl...
how does that work?

The leafs have 806 PIM & the rangers have 669.
But yes. The refs are out to get the Rangers & never call anything on the Leafs...

Old
02-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
At this point I am used to calls not going in our favor.

The problem with last night s referees was simply that they guaranteed that the rangers would not get a chance to tie the game. The call on Cullen is weak, fine. Calling an illegal substitution? Right after we gain the zone short handed. Come on.

With all the missed calls that one could have been missed as well.

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Canadian89

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruchaYeah View Post
At this point I am used to calls not going in our favor.

The problem with last night s referees was simply that they guaranteed that the rangers would not get a chance to tie the game. The call on Cullen is weak, fine. Calling an illegal substitution? Right after we gain the zone short handed. Come on.

With all the missed calls that one could have been missed as well.
How was it weak?
He DELAYED pohl from getting to the puck.
Watch the replays.

Old
02-01-2007, 11:50 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
How was it weak?
Watch the replays.
Actually, he didn't. He didn't slow down the Leaf player, he didn't turn him, he didn't pull him down, etc etc.

Lose the bias. It was a weak, boderline call that should've been let go with a minute and a half left.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Canadian89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Actually, he didn't. He didn't slow down the Leaf player, he didn't turn him, he didn't pull him down, etc etc.

Lose the bias. It was a weak, boderline call that should've been let go with a minute and a half left.
Watch the replay.
Pohl would have gotten to the puck first.
He didnt hold him up much, but he did.
Shanny even said that it was a legit penalty.

You should lose the bias.

Old
02-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Hockey MD

Quote:
How was it weak?
Watch the replays.
Its just based on how the game was being called in general, Cullen barely touched him. Rachunek was leveled from behind and nothing was called so based on what they were calling and not calling it was weak.

Old
02-01-2007, 11:58 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Watch the replay.
Pohl would have gotten to the puck first.
He didnt hold him up much, but he did.
Shanny even said that it was a legit penalty.

You should lose the bias.
You keep telling me to watch the replay but I watched it 20 times. He wasn't slowed down, wasn't impeded, nothing. It was a stupid play by Cullen to do, but it was hardly impeding Pohl of anything. I say that that should've been a penalty at any other time in the game, but not with a minute and a half left. He didn't do anything enough to Pohl to warrant a game ending penalty.

If you honestly think that Pohl was impeded in any way, I think that you should lose your bias. Pohl was touched. Not held.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Edge

Two thoughts:

1. The Rangers cannot keep blaming things on the Refs, the good team's win.

2. Officiating has been pretty horrible. The problem is that despite the claims that "we don't run from accusations" the NHL's biggest problem is that they are always more interested in justifying the games flaws rather than fixing them.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Hockey MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Two thoughts:

2. Officiating has been pretty horrible. The problem is that despite the claims that "we don't run from accusations" the NHL's biggest problem is that they are always more interested in justifying the games flaws rather than fixing them.
I agree. The Rangers needed to monopolize on their chances but failed to do so. It just irks me that the refs called the last two minutes the way they did. Whatever move on we still have a game in hand on Toronto.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Canadian89

Quote:
You keep telling me to watch the replay but I watched it 20 times. He wasn't slowed down, wasn't impeded, nothing. It was a stupid play by Cullen to do, but it was hardly impeding Pohl of anything. I say that that should've been a penalty at any other time in the game, but not with a minute and a half left. He didn't do anything enough to Pohl to warrant a game ending penalty.

If you honestly think that Pohl was impeded in any way, I think that you should lose your bias. Pohl was touched. Not held.
Why can't it be called in the last minute of the game?
Is there a "no penalty in the last minute of the game" rule I am unaware of?

You put your hand on someone & its called.
It doesnt matter if he delayed him a bit, a lot, or not at all.
That's how its been called all year.

I'm sure the leafs have been called on these a lot too. I'm sure all the teams in the NHL have. Not just the rangers.

Cullen held him up for a fraction of a second & went around him for the puck.
Whether he delayed him or not, we cant agree on.
BUT he did HOLD him with his FREE hand.
Can we agree on that?
& isn't that ALWAYS penalty?

Stop telling me to "lose my bias"!
You're pretty bias if you think the rangers are the only ones being called for those types of infractions.

Fine, if Cullen touched Pohl, why exactly did he?

Old
02-01-2007, 12:09 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Why can't it be called in the last minute of the game?
Is there a "no penalty in the last minute of the game" rule I am unaware of?

You put your hand on someone & its called.
It doesnt matter if he delayed him a bit, a lot, or not at all.
That's how its been called all year.

I'm sure the leafs have been called on these a lot too. I'm sure all the teams in the NHL have. Not just the rangers.

Cullen held him up for a fraction of a second & went around him for the puck.
Whether he delayed him or not, we cant agree on.
BUT he did HOLD him with his FREE hand.
Can we agree on that?
& isn't that ALWAYS penalty?

Stop telling me to "lose my bias"!
You're pretty bias if you think the rangers are the only ones being called for those types on infractions.
I'm with you on this one, Canadian89. Kinda ridiculous for a guy complaining about a (legit) call against his team to start ranting about biases.

Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Who said the Rangers are the only ones being called in these?

And he did NOT hold the guy with his hand. He didn't wrap it around him or slow him down at all.

Personally, I think players occasionally get caught in the old game mindset. I think Cullen probably thought about holding him back since it used to never get called but he never held the guy. I mean, it was stupid for him to take his hand off the stick, but you can't say he held the guy or slowed him down.

Old
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Two thoughts:

Agreed its definitely the Rangers fault for losing but it wouldn't hurt if refs were more consistent. Jagr is so talented sometimes it takes more than good defense to "eliminate" him. It takes a few slashes, hooks, holds, elbows, etc.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Canadian89

Quote:
Who said the Rangers are the only ones being called in these?

And he did NOT hold the guy with his hand. He didn't wrap it around him or slow him down at all.

Personally, I think players occasionally get caught in the old game mindset. I think Cullen probably thought about holding him back since it used to never get called but he never held the guy. I mean, it was stupid for him to take his hand off the stick, but you can't say he held the guy or slowed him down.
You keep missing the point. Players are always called for those types of infractions. They just touch the player with their free hand, whether to gain position, better balance or for whatever reason.
It's ALWAYS been called.
So its LEGIT.

If someone like this rarely gets called, then yes, it wouldnt be.
but this type of infraction ALWAYS is called.

It's Cullen's fault for taking his hand of his stick & "touching" Pohl (as you call it)

Old
02-01-2007, 12:16 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Actually, they aren't always called and you're completely wrong about that. If you watch games when refs who let the teams play like Kerry Frazier than they are hardly ever called, if at all.

The big problem in this league is the consistency in reffing.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I'm with you on this one, Canadian89. Kinda ridiculous for a guy complaining about a (legit) call against his team to start ranting about biases.
Oh please.... THAT call essentially ended the game. It was, AT BEST, a weak call. Nobody's denying that it could be called a penalty, it's just frustrating that it ended the game. THAT call on ANY team is still, AT BEST, a weak call. If it happened to the other team, the other fans would be frustrated as well, how is he showing bias? Bias would be like if you were a toronto fan and can't admit that it was a weak call. I'm with JP on this one.

Fotiu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
Agreed its definitely the Rangers fault for losing but it wouldn't hurt if refs were more consistent. Jagr is so talented sometimes it takes more than good defense to "eliminate" him. It takes a few slashes, hooks, holds, elbows, etc.
Without a doubt. To me it's really two factors. The Rangers have to play better and the Refs have to perform better.

At the end of the day though, good teams make their own breaks.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Canadian89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotiu22 View Post
Oh please.... THAT call essentially ended the game. It was, AT BEST, a weak call. Nobody's denying that it could be called a penalty, it's just frustrating that it ended the game. THAT call on ANY team is still, AT BEST, a weak call. If it happened to the other team, the other fans would be frustrated as well, how is he showing bias? Bias would be like if you were a toronto fan and can't admit that it was a weak call. I'm with JP on this one.
Shanny said it was a legit call.
But most Rangers fans say it wasn't.

I'm not the one who is biased.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:21 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotiu22 View Post
If it happened to the other team, the other fans would be frustrated as well, how is he showing bias?
You just contradicted yourself. Of course he's frustrated, that's why he's showing bias. None of us would be complaining if we were up 2-1 and that call was made on the Leafs in the final seconds.