HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Horton Not Happy

Old
02-01-2007, 03:07 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Horton Not Happy

So this is the source of all the Horton trade rumors:
From The Palm Beach Post:
"Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Panthers could face problems this summer in their efforts to re-sign one of their top young players, right winger Nathan Horton.

Multiple sources at last week's All-Star Game reported that Horton is unhappy and wants out of Florida. His Boston-based agent, Paul Krapelka, is believed to be attempting to orchestrate an offer sheet from another team that the Panthers could be unwilling to match."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...hers_0201.html

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:48 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Sounds like Orr told him to stop whining and play harder. You aren't winning? Do something about it.

angry_treefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Sounds like Orr told him to stop whining and play harder. You aren't winning? Do something about it.
One thing that Horton did "right" was hire a good agent.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Acadmus

After reading that article I no longer know what to think.

Think about this: The Panthers are under the cap. Teams are toying with the idea of throwing offer sheets around to pry restricted free agents away. There are plenty of teams at the cap that won't be able to match offers on key restricted free agents on their rosters.

Think the Panthers would be willing to sacrifice a few first rounders to steal a decent first or second line scorer?

02-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Wow, this is surprising. I know Horton would not be happy with being benched or 4th line-ed, but it was his own doing. And he had benefitted from it but is still fairly inconsistent. The kid is young though and still has room to blossom. I personally wouldn't dare give up on him yet.

But I mean seeking an offer sheet? Come on now, what would another team offer that we wouldn't match? I'd say he's worth around $2 million or a little more if he gets back to back 25+ goal seasons, and remember he's still a kid.

What gets me is being frustrated that the team has not been building a winner. That in some ways is true. Except you, Mr. Horton, are NOT Olli Jokinen. Jokinen has allowed himself to dare I say it "suffer" down here for 7 years now and continues to stick around despite it. But the nerve of a kid at the age of 21, in just his 3rd season saying that we aren't providing him with winner? What the...how impatient is this kid?

I know the fans and certain players like Olli have been waiting a long time, but not even 3 seasons yet? That's a little ridiculous, you know when you draft someone 3rd overall, it means that team did very poor that year in the standings. That team also needs to build up talent because it was lacking. What did he expect so soon? The fans expected it, but where is he coming from? I can see if he was frustrated with Keenan's dealings, but that's the past. Won't he even give Martin a chance to "attempt" to build a winner this offseason?

But seriously though, I don't know what another team could offer that would be so pricey. Moreover, if we didn't take it, there would be some big compensation to the likes of 1st round picks. And that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either. Imagine if Vancouver let Philly take Kesler, Van. very well could have had a shot at #1 overall pick.

Jonathan Huberdeau: 2013 Calder Trophy Winner
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Happy Girl

I have mixed emotions about this. I like Nate and I would hate to see him go. However, I can't say I blame him for being frustrated with this team and lack of winning. I hope they are all frustrated. I know Gratton is also pretty frustrated too from his recent comments to the media. I guess the point which ATF referenced in his post is we need to keep the guys around who are willing to do something about it.

When Joe retired, he talked about how special it was for him to be a part of the Dallas team that went from not making the playoffs to winning the Cup. He also talks about that team being so special and it was. They went through a lot of adversity and they used it to come together as a team. It was that strength that got them to the Cup. It's that strength that we don't have yet that we will need to win the games we should win.

We need players who are committed to making this a winning team - like Jokinen. He stayed when he probably could've bolted and Van Ryn. I do think we are so close to building something good here - if we can just keep some consistency with the coaching/GM positions we have some great assets to build on.

Bottom line is that if Nate doesn't want to be here - let him go. If he doesn't feel he can help build this team than let's get someone else who can. This team needs to have players here who are committed to winning and building this team.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:36 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I brought this up when I started the post about the Panthers Town Hall meeting. Martin thinks of Horton as part of the core he wants to build around. BUT...at the same time, he sees Horton as someone who might need a change of scenery to really get his game going. He compared Horton to Cam Neely, who really didnt take off until he got to Boston. Its unfortunate if he goes, but I for one sometimes get tired of watching Horton skate around the ice, not hustling or throwing that big body around.

If we let Horton go, we will have some additional funds to add skill to this team. Is Ovechkin a RFA this offseason? I know Washington probably wouldnt let him go for anything, but we should offer him a MAX contract, which is worth losing the picks. Hey, I could dream.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:36 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
Bottom line is that if Nate doesn't want to be here - let him go. If he doesn't feel he can help build this team than let's get someone else who can. This team needs to have players here who are committed to winning and building this team.
I agree. Then again, Nate is still young and (from what I read between the lines at JM's State of the Panthers Address) a bit immature. This may just be a temper tantrum. Hopefully Orr has straightened him out.

BTW, does anyone know what kind of picks we would get if #16 is signed to a RFA offer sheet.

angry_treefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Kaktus*

What would make Florida happy?
I would start with Umberger and Giroux or Downie...
Or
Depending where Flyers and Florida ends up in the draft swapping 1st round picks and Flyers will add Ruzicka or Umberger or Nodl? Flyers could be #1 Florida could be # 6, 7 or 8.

Florida will have a chance to draft Esposito, Gagner, Kane.. Flyers will draft inside 10.

I have no idea what kind of contract Horton is looking for but what do you guys think?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:02 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Made the playoffs??

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Why does this always seem to happen to us. Horton's been invisible as of late. We better get good value for this kid. Brad Boys would be a solid pickup.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:11 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Made the playoffs??

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
What gets me is being frustrated that the team has not been building a winner. That in some ways is true. Except you, Mr. Horton, are NOT Olli Jokinen. Jokinen has allowed himself to dare I say it "suffer" down here for 7 years now and continues to stick around despite it. But the nerve of a kid at the age of 21, in just his 3rd season saying that we aren't providing him with winner? What the...how impatient is this kid?

I know the fans and certain players like Olli have been waiting a long time, but not even 3 seasons yet? That's a little ridiculous, you know when you draft someone 3rd overall, it means that team did very poor that year in the standings. That team also needs to build up talent because it was lacking. What did he expect so soon? The fans expected it, but where is he coming from? I can see if he was frustrated with Keenan's dealings, but that's the past. Won't he even give Martin a chance to "attempt" to build a winner this offseason?
Exactly. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Quote:
"He's frustrated at not winning, like everybody else down there," Krapelka said. "The unhappiness is a matter of frustration with the team.
The fact that Horton is so frustrated with losing after such a short time, really speaks miles as to what kind of kid he is. And to think, we could have had Staal....

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Imagine if Vancouver let Philly take Kesler, Van. very well could have had a shot at #1 overall pick.
No they wouldn't. The compensation for Kesler would've been Philly's 2nd round pick in this draft.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
No they wouldn't. The compensation for Kesler would've been Philly's 2nd round pick in this draft.
Yes, yes, I found that out in the trade forum thread. Still, I think Philly was dumb either way.

Old
02-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Yes, yes, I found that out in the trade forum thread. Still, I think Philly was dumb either way.
Why?
It was a perfect legal move. Flyers signed all RF during that time. Including Gagne.

Clarke was talking to Nonis during the summer about Kesler. Nonis did not take him seriously. Clarke made a move.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Boston
Captain Chara

I called this over a month ago and Panthers fans were all over me.

A member of his family was saying this long ago. He doesn't like Martin.

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 10:25 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

This guy has only been around a few years. Just shut up and play. Once your play stays consistant for a long period of time, then you can talk. Otherwise, just shut up and play.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 10:26 AM
I May Be Wrong
Could Be Right?

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Brad Boyes would be nice.. but i would want more than that

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 10:28 AM
I May Be Wrong
Could Be Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
This guy has only been around a few years. Just shut up and play. Once your play stays consistant for a long period of time, then you can talk. Otherwise, just shut up and play.

that wont happen. Horton knows what he is worth, and he wants it now. and he doesnt want to be stuck in florida with the rebuilding phase. and a few people said earlier their sick of his lack of work ethic and how he floats around on the ice.. so true

Old
02-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post

He doesn't like Martin? Why? He doesn't like being benched or put on the 4th line when he refuses to take shots on net or to play with consistency/up to his talent level?

This does sound pretty childish. The guy is 21 years old, most guys taken that early in a draft don't know much about winning for several years. Nash, Ovechkin who are both 1st overall picks haven't even experienced that.

Has the organization lagged in building a winner? Yes. Does Horton really have a right to criticize that in just his 3rd season? I don't think so. Not to mention the team had a winning record last year.

I am really getting sick of players that put themselves before the team. Some people may question whether Jokinen is a worthy captain at times, but the faith he put into this organization, whether right or wrong, shows such a tremendous amount of character.

Old
02-01-2007, 10:35 AM
I May Be Wrong
Could Be Right?

Let me be quick to add if this is the route horton wants to take, trade his $%% we dont need that type of player in this organization, especially with the situation we are in right now- its NOT what we need. Sorry horty but i cant look at you the same, you rat.

Old
02-01-2007, 10:42 AM
I May Be Wrong
Could Be Right?

from eklund, ok its eklund but atleast its some INFO

he says Vancouver and Boston are front runners and that Vancouver supposedly REALLY looking to buy

Reports are that Horton wants out of Florida and although my sources say those reports are being over sold, I still must admit that Horton's name has come up in more and more of my discussions with the "inner circle" of the rumor world. This morning, I just got off the phone with a Western Canadien source who has told me that there is interest from several teams wioth Boston and Vancouver leading the way. Vancouver looks like definite buyers right now.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=5162

Old
02-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Boston
Captain Chara

Quote:
He doesn't like Martin? Why? He doesn't like being benched or put on the 4th line when he refuses to take shots on net or to play with consistency/up to his talent level?

This does sound pretty childish. The guy is 21 years old, most guys taken that early in a draft don't know much about winning for several years. Nash, Ovechkin who are both 1st overall picks haven't even experienced that.

Has the organization lagged in building a winner? Yes. Does Horton really have a right to criticize that in just his 3rd season? I don't think so. Not to mention the team had a winning record last year.

I am really getting sick of players that put themselves before the team. Some people may question whether Jokinen is a worthy captain at times, but the faith he put into this organization, whether right or wrong, shows such a tremendous amount of character.
Don't kill the messenger.

As for Horton, I am surprised he was able to decide all by himself that he wanted out. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 10:59 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:

You did, that's right, I can't say I'm surprised about ths situation with Horton though. I REALLY hope we trade him and get Zherdev or Vermette back, a combination of speed and skill would be so awesome to have since it;s something we sorely lack. Vermette+1st round pick+Brian Lee/idk? for Horton and Roberts

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:00 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Don't kill the messenger.

As for Horton, I am surprised he was able to decide all by himself that he wanted out. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Yeah rumour has it he's an idiot lol.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Georgia Panther

What It Would Take To Re-Sign Horton This Summer

What Spector had to say about the Biggane article.

"Spector's Note: Hat tip to GJ Berg. The offer sheet ploy could also backfire on Horton and his agent, as Martin could match and thus retain Horton's rights. I can see his salary talks getting contentious without an offer sheet scenario. Horton will likely seek over $3 million per."

IMO, if Horton expects a $3 million plus contract offer from the Panthers at this stage of his career then expect Adios Horton to be the response from the team.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote