HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Horton Not Happy

Old
02-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Venom_17

vCash: 500
Martin had mega-problems with Spezz, and now he isn't doing well with Horton.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:30 PM
slapper419

i know Horton very well acually he is one of my friends from backhome and i know forsure he DID NOT ask for a trade ..so everyone thats mad at the paper be mad at the reporter because he did not say hes unhappy and wants out

(keep your stick on the ice)

slapper419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapper419 View Post
i know Horton very well acually he is one of my friends from backhome and i know forsure he DID NOT ask for a trade ..so everyone thats mad at the paper be mad at the reporter because he did not say hes unhappy and wants out

Werent you making Horton trade offers in another thread?

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:01 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapper419 View Post

I certainly hope you are right, but now if Horts doesn't come out and say something the damage might be done. But asking for a trade is different than not being happy playing for a perennial loser and getting demoted. He should look at what happened to Olesz. At least Horts didn't get sent to the A, but when Olesz was sent down he came back firing on both ends and hasn't stopped since.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Well, in recent times our drafting leaves alot to be desired,

...Im guessing alot of those players wern't impact at all though.
True, but in the defense of the Panthers, there wasn't a lot available in two of the last seven drafts, and a couple others were only okay. And as for the guys in the last several, it's well established that you don't judge a draft for five years, so let's wait and see on it. For all they seem to disappoint, some of our guys in Rochester seem to be growing, if nothing else, and could have a shot at being NHL regulars someday.

As for impact players traded away:
'93: Rob Niedermayer (though not in the role for which he was drafted, but as a defensive forward), Kevin Weekes;
'94: Ed Jovonovski, Rhett Warrener;
'95: Radek Dvorak, Daniel Tjanqvist, Peter Worrell (different kind of impact), Filip Kuba;
'96: Marcus Nilson, Oleg Kvasha;
'97: Kristian Huselius;
'98: Joe Dipenta (well, he had an impact in the playoffs last season), Jaroslav Spacek;
'99: Alex Auld (if you take last year with VAN), Niklas Hagman;
'00: No one
'01: Lukas Krajicek (also drafted Weiss, but he's still on the team)
'02: no one traded (Bouw and Campbell drafted this year)

So 16 players drafted that had an impact on other teams. The list of players the Panthers have drafted that spent at least one season in the NHL is almost twice as long, as it includes several still on the team. An even heavier chunk has played at least one NHL game.

Mind you, there were a LOT of cases where better players were available even in later rounds. Everyone knows about Ryan Miller (which was a traded away draft pick), but what about this: two spots after the Panthers drafted Daniel Tjarnqvist in '95, San Jose drafted Toskala. There's a bang-your-head-on-the-wall sort of discovery if ever there was one

Source: hockeydb.com.

02-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post
True, but in the defense of the Panthers,
OK - first you mention he who we don't mention here and now you are defending the Panthers ... who are you and what have you done to Enough Excuses???

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
OK - first you mention he who we don't mention here and now you are defending the Panthers ... who are you and what have you done to Enough Excuses???

I like to play devil's advocate

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
I like to play devil's advocate
this whole situation is begging for a long overdue ... disaster prediction

Old
02-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
this whole situation is begging for a long overdue ... disaster prediction
Regrettably, reality has tapped out any ideas I could have for this season. The only thing I could predict is...no, it's too horrible to imagine. Perhaps I'll work up a trade deadline prediction, but that'd be it.

To be honest, I peaked with the prediction I made for last season's opener. Everything seems unfunny in comparison. Wonder if it still exists in the db somewhere?

EDIT: YUP!

Some warm ups:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3311159&postcount=6

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3496684&postcount=3

And then the one that made my predictions legend:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3620348&postcount=14

Last edited by Acadmus: 02-01-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old
02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Regrettably, reality has tapped out any ideas I could have for this season. The only thing I could predict is...no, it's too horrible to imagine. Perhaps I'll work up a trade deadline prediction, but that'd be it.

To be honest, I peaked with the prediction I made for last season's opener. Everything seems unfunny in comparison. Wonder if it still exists in the db somewhere?

EDIT: YUP!

Some warm ups:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3311159&postcount=6

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3496684&postcount=3

And then the one that made my predictions legend:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3620348&postcount=14
omg EE those were #@%^ AWESOME haha im almost crying so funny

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey View Post
omg EE those were #@%^ AWESOME haha im almost crying so funny
Thank you. Maybe someone can link some others, like the post where I introduced Cardboard Biron, or the thread where the ad campaign with the picture of Luongo frozen in ice was discussed

Old
02-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Just speaking contract-wise, I think you could see Horton asking in the $3-5 million/yr range in a 5 yr deal. That could definitely be difficult to justify for the Panthers and why the reporter assumed an offer sheet could come. I think there's the potential for a team to trade for him but I wonder if it would realistically happen this season. Either way, it appears that another Florida player will breakout elsewhere.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:37 PM
hockey_nut

sorry if this was already posted... but horton's agent is completely denying wanting out

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/fla070201a.html

Quote:
"He's unhappy because he's not winning, but he has not asked out of Florida."

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:40 PM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

if hortons not happy trade him for someone who is just as good as him and is happy being here. if he denies it then keep him

the panthers have absoloutly no chemistry so they need players who are happy and enjoyin themeselves as a team.

PANTHERS OWN YOU* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut View Post
sorry if this was already posted... but horton's agent is completely denying wanting out

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/fla070201a.html

Uh-oh, here comes the spin-patrol. I wonder how the vets on our team are reacting to Horton? I wonder if anyone has taken the time to explain to Horton that there's no "I" in team? LOL

I doubt Horton's going anywhere. Though I have to admit, it's a lot of fun watching my 14 year old daughter freaking out over it. Ah, first loves.....

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Happy Girl

I wonder if Horton will take Eddie's stance towards local media.

Where's GR with his thoughts on this?

Old
02-01-2007, 06:21 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
I wonder if Horton will take Eddie's stance towards local media.

Where's GR with his thoughts on this?
He should, but I doubt he'd be able to avoid talking and not come across looking bad.

The Eagle can do (or not do) anything he wants when it comes to dealing with the media...but Nate is no Eagle.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatmanReturns View Post
He should, but I doubt he'd be able to avoid talking and not come across looking bad.

The Eagle can do (or not do) anything he wants when it comes to dealing with the media...but Nate is no Eagle.
Reading your quote I had flashbacks to the scene in Bull Durham where Crash reprimands Nuke about moldy shower shoes. LOL.

Old
02-02-2007, 10:39 AM
SouthFLFan79

maybe ignorant of me but I think he will be happy if we get into a nice run like last year. Specially with Roberts and Bert (someday) coming back. It should help the team if they can gel in. Add with Olsez seeming growth and weiss and bouwmeester playing great. The team has been playing much better lately (except that melt down in atlanta god that game made me feel sick).

But I think if they go on a run and keep pushing for the playoffs he wont be as upset. Be nice if Olli could talk to him perhaps as Captain.

but my own two cents for it, not sure how smart it is for it though

SouthFLFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
You know it is getting bad, when even the core you are building around wants out.

I love Horton and his game, but his personality/character doesn't seem to be particularly great. I dunno, i'd still try and keep him here but if it is really obvious that he wants to go, then trade him.

Wow, if Horton goes, think how absolutely pathetic our 2003 draft was. It may turn out to be the best draft ever, and what the hell did we get from it with 4 picks in the top two rounds?

I really thinking we need to get a new scouting staff. Some of our picks are awful.
LOL. Keenan ruined this team both as a GM and as a coach. He convinced Dudley to select Horton in 2003, when Staal was the player that Dudley wanted. This was put into so many words in an article a few years back.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Our scouting is terrible. 2002 draft - Apart from Jay Bouwmeester, who lets be honest, anybody could realise he has talent, the draft sucked. Taticek, Globke etc. Bad draft in reality. Picking in an amazing top 4, we got lucky.

2003 - Meyer, Kreps in the 2nd round. Guys like Bergeron, Weber, O'sullivan went in that round. Awful. Stewart, not looking good. Horton, well we've made him unhappy. Picking top 3, not hard to find a good player. Again, bad scouting

2004 - Olesz, love the dude. Solid pick, but picking at #7 and picking Olesz who fell due to WJ's and playing ina difficult league, again not that hard a pick to make. The rest look meh. Shantz might be alright, but again we cannot draft for the hell of it in later rounds

2005 - McArdle will be solid, but not spectacular. Plante/Collins interesting, but again the chances of them being regulars aren't very high.

2006 - Frolik, good pick i'll give them credit. But then drafting people like Peter Aston? Absolutely awful.

Our prospect system is very bad, we may have had top prospects graduating early, but that just shows after our original top pick, we don't draft well. To have LaPoint, an 18 yr old in the USHL as your best D prospect tells you something. Apart from Frolik, we have no forward of realistic 2nd line potential, with Collins etc having outside shots.

I have no idea what our expenditure of scouting is, but either way IMO it is a serious problem.

I agree for the most part, but don't forget about Booth in 04 and Foster in 05. Booth I think a 3rd or 4th and Foster was a 5th.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:53 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
I agree for the most part, but don't forget about Booth in 04 and Foster in 05. Booth I think a 3rd or 4th and Foster was a 5th.
Forgot about Booth. Didn't like the pick at first, but Booth is awesome. Good pick, a rare thing by us

Foster has shown some talent, but he isn't a starter in college yet so it is hard to know how good he is. Considering the bust to success rate of netminders, and our record, you wouldn't be hopefully.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 05:25 PM
George Richards

I don't know if it's the losing that's bothering Nathan. I hear he's homesick. He doesn't talk much about such things and everyone I've talked to says he's happy. He was very pleasant today when we chatted for a second, but of course we weren't talking hockey. Just this and that. The Panthers aren't letting him go unless he signs for a crazy amount (and the team can match which they just might depending on their mood at the time).

George Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Richards View Post
I don't know if it's the losing that's bothering Nathan. I hear he's homesick.
Homesick - I know he's young but the cynical part of me can't help but think this is some scam to pick up chicks.

Thanks for the info GR.