HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Horton is not happy in Florida.

Old
02-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic3d2 View Post
Forsberg for Horton straight up! Forsberg can retire in the sun and horton can whine about how bad philly is next year.
Good one.

I wouldn't go out of my way to trade anyone promising from this organization for Horton. If he wants out, good for him. We've got our own young players to deal with. I wouldn't offer anything more than Umberger and something else, Rosie and a pick maybe. I don't know. Just not very much, and I know that wouldn't get it done so just forget about it.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:35 PM
ic3d2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Good one.

I wouldn't go out of my way to trade anyone promising from this organization for Horton. If he wants out, good for him. We've got our own young players to deal with. I wouldn't offer anything more than Umberger and something else, Rosie and a pick maybe. I don't know. Just not very much, and I know that wouldn't get it done so just forget about it.
remember that when they trade petr for a hand full of beans to plant next to hatcher on the blue line.

ic3d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:39 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
It is an interesting proposal. If the Flyers acquired Horton, on whose line would you put him?
He makes Mike Knuble extremely expendable ... and you could get a very nice return for Knuble come the trade deadline

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:54 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
He makes Mike Knuble extremely expendable ... and you could get a very nice return for Knuble come the trade deadline
.....the problem though is that the cost for Horton will be huge and there's no way that even if Knuble were to get dealt that the package in return would make up for what we'd have to send to get Horton.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't understand the fascination with Horton. Over his career, he's been injury prone, scratched from the lineup because of poor play, and now he wants out of Florida. The guy's a headcase and that's the last thing we need.

I say we leave the headcases alone, develop the talent we have in this organization and go from there.
okay.

1) he's twenty-freaking-one.

2) as a twenty year old he popped 28 goals in 71 games.

3) he's played in 52 games this year, he's getting by.

i think you're rushing to judgment on calling him a headcase... and if you're protecting Giroux/Nodl i think you're harboring what is yours a bit too much. it's pretty easy to be enamoured with what you got, but chances are that neither of those players are going to be as good as Horton. he had some injury problems, which screwed up his development, but he showed what he's capable of last year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
.....the problem though is that the cost for Horton will be huge and there's no way that even if Knuble were to get dealt that the package in return would make up for what we'd have to send to get Horton.
yes, but it would offset it... which was his point. that being said, a disgruntled player who wants out of wherever he's at never gets back what one would think he would -- see: Luongo, Roberto.

Old
02-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I don't understand the fascination with Horton. Over his career, he's been injury prone, scratched from the lineup because of poor play, and now he wants out of Florida. The guy's a headcase and that's the last thing we need.

I say we leave the headcases alone, develop the talent we have in this organization and go from there.
I do not understand how you think Carter will become 1st line center (which I agree) but Horton can not become 1st line power forward, when he is half way there. He is only 21 years old and has all the tools to become a force in new NHL, speed, size, scoring, hockey sense. Flyers fans will love him.
Why do you think he is a head case? Because he wants to leave Florida? Luongo wanted to leave too an did so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
We can afford both of them. I do not see why not. Do not resign guys like Calder for 2M a year.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 02-01-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:31 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic3d2 View Post
remember that when they trade petr for a hand full of beans to plant next to hatcher on the blue line.

Keep going, a mod will eventually notice that you're trolling.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't trade my #1 pick for him.
Trade the pick. Their ceilings all compare to Nathan Horton and are at least a year away from being NHL ready. Horton is ready now and has a great physical package.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
Trade the pick. Their ceilings all compare to Nathan Horton and are at least a year away from being NHL ready. Horton is ready now and has a great physical package.
their ceilings don't include two shoulder surgeries...

Old
02-01-2007, 01:58 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Honestly guys, this is probably about right. The best player in this years draft will more than likely be about the same in ability as Horton. Horton isn't a flop (ala Daigle). You just never know, we might take Gagne and he flops, then where did that #1 pick get us??? Honestly if we could trade Umberger and our 1st for Horton and their 1st it would be a sweet deal for us. Honestly, then we could probably move Knuble (even though I don't really want to move him) for a late 1st rnd pick. It wouldn't be because his ability truly warrents a 1st but that at his price he's a real bargin and will afford the aquiring team to spend cap money in other areas. To fill a 1st line winger through FA's most teams will be paying the player 3.5 mil at a minimum.

Personally I like the idea of keeping Knuble and putting him on the 2nd line or just putting Horton with Carter on the 2nd line for them to develope chemestry for the future.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:04 PM
phlocky

Oh, and in regards to him being disgruntled playing for the Panthers, WHO WOULDN'T BE PISSY ABOUT THAT????? You can bet Bert isn't coming back and it's not because they don't want him back, he doesn't want THEM back. That has to be about the worst run franchise in the NHL. They are even worse than the Islanders even thought they traded away so many guys that eventually became stars for other teams. Fla is just bad and will seemingly always be bad. I'd want out ASAP too. Hell, Loungo left, Bert is leaving, that really only leaves him and Boumeister left and if I were them I'd want out too and go to a team where at least they are attempting to win the cup each year. We may not be cup contenders this year and likely not next year either but we are definitely TRYING to be there if not right now in the very near future. Who could get excited about playing for that franchise?

Old
02-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Sean Ruck

I love Nate Horton, I think he'd be a very good addition to the roster, especially a rebuilding one. I'd certainly part with any of our vets to get him, and I'd have to think about parting with either Giroux or Nodl, but at the end of the day I'd probably do it. I think he's fallen into a bit of a rut playing in Florida, and moving to a city like Philly would help spark him. He's very talented, and he's young.

Sean Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
their ceilings don't include two shoulder surgeries...
If they affected the way Horton plays the game, I might be concered. But that's not the case.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:18 PM
BringBackStevens

Youth for youth i don't think makes a lot of sense here, especially when we are talking about players that play the same position.

The Flyers shouldnt be trading guys they are high on like Giroux or Nodl unless they are filling in another hole. Horton is definitly a more "sure thing" but personally i would stay away and focus on improving the areas that need it more

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
If they affected the way Horton plays the game, I might be concered. But that's not the case.
that might be true, but that's some non-trivial wear-and-tear... affects value.

Old
02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
Youth for youth i don't think makes a lot of sense here, especially when we are talking about players that play the same position.

The Flyers shouldnt be trading guys they are high on like Giroux or Nodl unless they are filling in another hole. Horton is definitly a more "sure thing" but personally i would stay away and focus on improving the areas that need it more
yes, 'cept probabilities of what you can expect from each player are vastly in favor of Horton.

Old
02-01-2007, 04:01 PM
phlocky

Damn Jester, you keep flip-flopping. Would you take Horton over Nodl or the likes or not??? LOL, not intending to be mean, I just can't figure out your stance on the subject.

Old
02-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Damn Jester, you keep flip-flopping. Would you take Horton over Nodl or the likes or not??? LOL, not intending to be mean, I just can't figure out your stance on the subject.
haven't flip-flopped once.

probabilites aren't in favor of Nodl/Giroux in comparison to Horton. he's 21... he's played and belonged in the NHL... and he's put up 28. far more likely that neither Nodl or Giroux are never going to do that than they are.

i view our top pick this year more valuable than Horton... if that's what you're suggesting i'm flip-flopping. i view Horton more valuable than Nodl/Giroux and would have no problem parting with one of them for him.

Old
02-01-2007, 04:47 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
yes, 'cept probabilities of what you can expect from each player are vastly in favor of Horton.
I don't particularly disagree, but i think vastly is a stretch. From watching giroux as much as i can, i think he's gonna be a damn good NHL player

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
I don't particularly disagree, but i think vastly is a stretch. From watching giroux as much as i can, i think he's gonna be a damn good NHL player
that's fine, but he's still a 19 y/o kid in the Q that our GM just outright called "weak." i'm not saying you need to be the strongest guy in the world if you're a slippery player, but that's not a good place to start from in my perspective.

it's probably not even 50/50 he makes and establishes himself as a top-line player in the NHL.

worst case scenario with Horton is that he's a very good 2nd line wing... however, his 28 goal campaign last year is a big notch in his belt as far as fulfilling his potential of top-line wing status.

Old
02-01-2007, 05:00 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

who is to say he would be happy in Philly rebuilding?

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:07 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
It should be a quick rebuild. They have a ton of cap room this offseason.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
20+M in cap room and supposedly good young players already present... this should be a different club next year. this is not a club that accepts losing.

Old
02-01-2007, 06:15 PM
krantan

Quote:
haven't flip-flopped once.

probabilites aren't in favor of Nodl/Giroux in comparison to Horton. he's 21... he's played and belonged in the NHL... and he's put up 28. far more likely that neither Nodl or Giroux are never going to do that than they are.

i view our top pick this year more valuable than Horton... if that's what you're suggesting i'm flip-flopping. i view Horton more valuable than Nodl/Giroux and would have no problem parting with one of them for him.
Ok, I'm about to lay out one of those crazy NHL2k7 scenarios...

We get the #1 pick, Fla is in the range of #5-7. Giroux, a 2nd next year and swap firsts for Horton, announced the same time as a Knuble for Boyes swap. We should still be able to get a nice player with Florida's pick, and our top two lines would be young and packed with solid two-way players. We might be a bit light on playmakers however, unless Forsberg ends the season on an incredible high note and returns, or we get our hands on Gomez (who I don't think is going to hit UFA)

Gagne Drury/Gomez/Forsberg Horton
Umberger Carter Boyes

krantan is offline   Reply With Quote