HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Are we going to lose a starting forward in the Comrie deal?

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2003, 12:10 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Are we going to lose a starting forward in the Comrie deal?

These are the guys who are starters here, and no doubt Sarno, Salmo, Wright, and Rita could fill in for spot duty if there's an injury.

Smyth Oates Hemsky
Torres York Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Isbister Horcoff Laraque

Chimera Stoll

Honestly we need to clear a spot if we're going to get another roster player in return, and if we want decent value in return we'll have to chip in bigtime to get something done.

I still haven't seen a full game since Oates has been in the lineup, are we weak enough down the middle that we absolutely need a center in the Comrie deal?

Anyways, Prendergast already alluded to the possibilty that a roster player would be on his way with MC, I'm not pretending to have come up with this all by myself, I guess that the player that goes will be determined by the value of the player we want in return.

ASSUMING that a player goes with Mike, it's possible that the player will be a d-man, but if it's a forward is there anyone in the lineup who would compliment an MC deal more than any other? Hint hint?

Realistically if you send Horcoff with MC you're giving up something like steak and cheesecake, or ham and apple pie. Same thing if you send almost any other forward. What I mean is, could we make a peas and carrots, or pizza and beer type of a package?

Lowe has his finger on the pulse here and if Smyth is determined that he wants to stay here, and I hope that's the case, then this is a moot point. But Smyth and Comrie together really puts the MC deal in a whole different league. Instead of prospects or underachieving 2nd liners we could be looking at an elite player and a top prospect.

All this Comrie crap may have finally driven me over the brink, is this crazy talk?

Old
12-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Asiaoil

Realistically all of Horcoff, Laraque, Chimera and Isbister are up for grabs. I'd like to keep Chimera because of his salary but we have so many LW it's insane (plus Miknov and Rita). I would be all for packaging Comrie, Horcoff and Laraque for Getzlaf, Bryzgalov and Vishnovski. Bryzgalov is obviously obtainable because he's stuck behind Giggy and Gerber, Vishnovski needs a change of scenery and has been a healthy scratch lately so he's obtainable too. The obvious holdup is Getzlaf - the ducks probably want to send Perry - but we have to get Getzlaf if we send MC and Laraque. If we need to throw a non-#1 pick in to make this work then I'm all for that as well.

This trade would make our line up:

Smyth Oates Dvorak
Torres York Isbister/Hemsky
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Chimera/Rita Stoll Hemsky/Izzy

Brewer Semi
Smith Staios
Cross/Vish/Bergy

Salo/Conks

If we got this line-up then we just play out the season looking to develop our kids and I don't care where we finish because this team is loaded for the future with Getzlaf, Miknov, Bryzgalov, JDD, Lynch, Niinimaki, Pouliot, Greene, Jacque Winchester etc etc coming up the ranks.

Old
12-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Shizuka

Yup, I think we will end up seeing more than just Comrie traded, provided Lowe gets back more than one roster player. The numbers just would not add up if he does. Chimera, Isbister and Laraque would be preferable...though again, I keep pointing to Laraque's deterrent factor (at least during regular season play, when guys are more willing to take runs / liberties with your skill players) as his saving grace. That, and he can actually play a regular shift and not hurt the team.

The one guy no one seems to mention that much is Isbister. Maybe it's not fair to criticize his play, since he's been injured quite a bit this season. However, the problems that plagued his game in Long Island have followed him here:

a) inconsistency
b) he's brittle i.e. injured alot
c) does not show much heart at times.

I guess the one thing he does bring is size, which is a factor in the playoffs. I would think that if we do not make the playoffs, or it looks like we are out early, then Lowe should flip Isbister for mid round picks. Because beyond that, he is overpaid and taking up a spot that any number of farm guys could hold. Maybe it's a bit of a harsh assessment but with the money he is earning, 6 points is a lousy return.

Closed Thread