HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Career Potential of Evan Brophey?

Old
02-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Kavliary2000

vCash: 500
Career Potential of Evan Brophey?

3rd round pick by the Hawks in 2005

Putting up big numbers in Junior, does he has the potential into a regular NHL?

Kavliary2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I think the modern OHL/NHL environments are really breeding a new generation of uncertainty for some of these middle-of-the-road offensive junior prospects. Okay, there have always been junior scorers who couldn't step it up to the NHL (and of course those who could), but for the last decade or more, it has been easier to predict which ones could and which couldn't (not easy... just easier) because flaws in skating, size, or all-round play were more often fatal. Nowadays, though, the OHL style of play doesn't always make those flaws as apparent as before (slower game, more special-teams based, easier to score, etc) and then of course, the "new NHL" style makes it perhaps somewhat easier for talented-but-flawed players to still have a chance to live on their talent.

Whew. Ok, all that said - maybe you could see this coming - I don't know how to project Brophey at all. He's smart, very clever playmaker, I like him. Decent size, no glaring flaws as such. He has a lot of experience in the OHL by now, however, and he's playing in a good situation on a great team. So one ought not to get *too* excited by the stats. I have a sneaking suspicion he'll need to focus more on his 2-way play, slightly reinvent himself relative to his top-scorer status right now on Plymouth, to make it to the next level. But maybe not. Crafty players like him I think are pretty decent candidates to adapt their craftiness to two-way roles. But again, you never really know who will and who won't. I like him as a 3rd round pick, though. I guess I don't really see Plymouth often enough to really have a good read on his recent play, I saw him a lot more back in his less-prominent days in the East.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 04:41 AM
Zim

His numbers look good but i'm pretty sure he's an overager in the OHL so don't be blinded by his numbers. I'm not really sure what he will turn out to be but I suppose he has the potential to be a goal scoring 3rd liner. Maybe a second liner at a stretch, but you never can tell.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:09 PM
fullmetalninja

I've only seen Brophey in camp(s), and I have never been overly impressed. I wouldn't count on him being an NHL regular, but who knows- maybe he surprises.

In a lot of ways its like Nate Davis. Having a great year, I'm just not sure how.

-fullmetalninja

fullmetalninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:19 PM
hawksfan50

The high assists to goals ratio for him suggests more of a set-up man than the hands and shot of a big goal scorer--BUT while he is a good skater--when he moves his feet--too often he just is floating slowly or standing still watching the play --thus he is more reactive to a developing offensive opportunity than really constantly attacking/creative as the better and likely more successful NHL centres need to be...also despite his size--he plays a more finess game--so his size doesn't really help him much...personally,I don't think he'll translate his Jr. sucess to the NHL level --certainly not as a first or 2nd line centre...another myriad of Blackhawks 3rd/4th line middlemen--and that's only if he improves his intensity...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote