HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PowerPlay problems

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2003, 06:47 AM
MrPicard

vCash: 500
PowerPlay problems

Hello there,

Everyone knows, our powerplay is crap...We are 22nd on the league.
We need a stronger one if we wanna make it to the playoffs... My suggestion would be to play ribeiro to the point..he can control the puck which is rare for a hab player...

And penalty killing, we are 27nd... incredible...

Anyway, suggestion?

Old
12-06-2003, 06:52 AM
BigM1ke

Recently, we played good on both of them.. We scored in like 5 of the last 6 games in Powerplay I think.

And I prefer to see Souray with his slapshot from hell (nice name isn't it ) than Ribeiro at the point... but that's my opinion! When Ward returns, let's put him in front of the net, that will do the trick Mr. Pedneault!

Old
12-06-2003, 06:56 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
You're right, we have been a little better on the PP. The PK was good against Carolina (7 for 7), because the Canes have a horrible PP, worse than ours at 25th I think.

Unfortunately though, having Craig Rivet and Francis Bouillon out for the man advantage is a recipe for disaster. With Hainsey, Brisebois, Markov, and Souray in the system, it's foolish to even suggest that our fifth and sixth defencemen be running the PP.

As for the PK, Sundstrom and Bulis are very good. Juneau and Dackell are in their last year, and will hopefully be replaced next season by Ward and Higgins. That duo was very effective in the two games they played back in October. Koivu can play the penalty kill, too.

Old
12-06-2003, 07:02 AM
MrPicard

the 1st waive :

ribeiro with souray to the point

the 2nd waive:

brisebois and markov

until we call hainsey back... and I hate the fact of putting a big player in front of the net, if this big player cannot control the puck... cause in order to shoot we must implement in the offensive zone and pass the puck to make their defense move IMO...

Old
12-06-2003, 07:28 AM
Alexj4x*

I think one of the reason our powerplay is crap is that Markov plays like crap at the point since the beginning of the season. I wanna see the Markov from last year, the one who wasn't afraid to use his slapshot or rush to the net.

That being said, I think Ribeiro on the point is a good idea since he's our most talented player with the puck IMO (with Koivu la corriveau a close second)

Old
12-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPicard
Hello there,

Everyone knows, our powerplay is crap...We are 22nd on the league.
We need a stronger one if we wanna make it to the playoffs... My suggestion would be to play ribeiro to the point..he can control the puck which is rare for a hab player...

And penalty killing, we are 27nd... incredible...

Anyway, suggestion?
Sure, Ribeiro is just the one to be back when the Habs turn the puck over, especially when the penalized opponent leaves the penalty box and is ready for a pass. Please reconsider your suggestion, M. Pedneault.

Old
12-06-2003, 07:38 AM
Alexj4x*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Sure, Ribeiro is just the one to be back when the Habs turn the puck over, especially when the penalized opponent leaves the penalty box and is ready for a pass. Please reconsider your suggestion, M. Pedneault.
Good point.....

Old
12-06-2003, 07:42 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexj4x
I think one of the reason our powerplay is crap is that Markov plays like crap at the point since the beginning of the season. I wanna see the Markov from last year, the one who wasn't afraid to use his slapshot or rush to the net.

That being said, I think Ribeiro on the point is a good idea since he's our most talented player with the puck IMO (with Koivu la corriveau a close second)
I agree that Markov has been having an all-around poor season but not with placing Ribeiro on the point. In fact, I'm not in favor of using any forward at the point.

Why do you call Koivu la corriveau?

Old
12-06-2003, 07:50 AM
Alexj4x*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
I agree that Markov has been having an all-around poor season but not with placing Ribeiro on the point. In fact, I'm not in favor of using any forward at the point.

Why do you call Koivu la corriveau?
Its an inside joke that only the starter of this thread can understand....

Feel free to call him La corrriveau if you want to, we could start a new trend

Last edited by Alexj4x*: 12-06-2003 at 07:56 AM.
Old
12-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Corey

Quote:
Its an inside joke that only the starter of this thread can understand....

Feel free to call him La corrriveau if you want to, we could start a new trend
I would call the original M. Pedneault le instigateur. I know how he feels about Koivu--and about Ribeiro. I am not as mesmerised as he is by his chouchou. I have seen too many great Canadiens of the past to succumb to that hype. Unfortunately, the present edition doesn't have any superstars.

Old
12-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Medicine Twin

Quote:
I totally agree, but Markov panicking at the point on the PP and making rushed decisions is nothing new. He IS our most skilled D-man and I hope he can eventually become a good QB. He needs to "take a look". I'd leave him on, but we have to have a better option than Rivet or Bouillon... Sundstrom perhaps?

Quote:
I think Corey said it best... what happens if there's a turn-over and he's the one we're depending on to stop a two on one? Or if he's caught on D when the penalty expires? Besides, I think he's better suited to setting up guys in the slot from along the boards, behind the net, or the corners... just as important IMO.

Old
12-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
Unfortunately though, having Craig Rivet and Francis Bouillon out for the man advantage is a recipe for disaster. With Hainsey, Brisebois, Markov, and Souray in the system, it's foolish to even suggest that our fifth and sixth defencemen be running the PP.
I know it, you know it, and just about everyone else who watched the habs knows it, so why can't Julien figure out that these two shmucks have NO BUSINESS ON THE POWERPLAY. Rivet is the worst defenseman I've ever seen at containing the puck. I think he lets it jump over his stick and into the neutral zone 50% of the time it comes to him on the PP. As for Bouillon, he's a panicky passer. If you even look like you're going to skate towards him he will pass it off immediately. We saw yesterday what that can result in.

Koivu is the best option on the point. He's our best passer and most creative player. Ribeiro's a good second option. I'd like to see Koivu-Souray on unit one and Ribeiro-Breezer on unit two. Brisebois is great at containing the puck and has decent timing on the PP. Eventually, I hope Komisarek can fill this role.

Old
12-06-2003, 06:42 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I know it, you know it, and just about everyone else who watched the habs knows it, so why can't Julien figure out that these two shmucks have NO BUSINESS ON THE POWERPLAY. Rivet is the worst defenseman I've ever seen at containing the puck. I think he lets it jump over his stick and into the neutral zone 50% of the time it comes to him on the PP. As for Bouillon, he's a panicky passer. If you even look like you're going to skate towards him he will pass it off immediately. We saw yesterday what that can result in.

Koivu is the best option on the point. He's our best passer and most creative player. Ribeiro's a good second option. I'd like to see Koivu-Souray on unit one and Ribeiro-Breezer on unit two. Brisebois is great at containing the puck and has decent timing on the PP. Eventually, I hope Komisarek can fill this role.
Or Hainsey?

Closed Thread