HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate sharpening question

Old
02-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Ti-girl

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Skate sharpening question

Hey guys,

Okay, so I got new skates this year and I seems to be having a problem with sharpenings on them now.

I used to take them to this privetly owned skate sharpening place and he just did them. I'm not sure what the hollow was on the blade, but they were ALWAYS perfect.

I moved and got new skates. Now when I get them sharpened for the first game-game and a half I'm falling over myself. The skates are WAY TOO SHARP.

I went from Vector 6.0 to RBK 9K pumps. I know the steel is better, but is it THAT big of a difference? What should I do?

02-01-2007, 06:49 PM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
I had the same problem about 1 week ago. I just kinda had to grind it out. If I were you, I would just tell the guy, you don't want them incredibly sharp because it really effected your skating last time. Unfortunately, I'm not good at the whole hollow size and such.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 07:02 PM
MikeD

Drop a call to the guy whos grinds you liked and ask what he was using on them. You can then pass that on to your new grinder.

try to find a gage to check your radius and edges. Part of the problem may be a bad grind..ie edges uneven, center of radius off, etc etc. For a radius check....if your having a 1/2" ROH ground... a circle with a diameter of 1" should sit in the Hollow perfectly. Held up to a light you should see nothing between blade and your 1" disc.

What I can do for you guys is make some discs. I am a machinist by trade so if you want a disc to check your radius just ell me what size and I will make one and send it out to you. Drop a Pm with shipping info and I will send you an aluminum ROH gage.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Polska

Sounds like your new sharpener is giving you a deeper hollow. Eventually they'll dull down to where you like 'em, but next time mention you want a shallower hollow.

A deep hollow gives you more secure edges but I find them harder to control since they grab the ice more and tend to drag a bit, making it harder to skate faster as well.

Polska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polska View Post
Sounds like your new sharpener is giving you a deeper hollow. Eventually they'll dull down to where you like 'em, but next time mention you want a shallower hollow.

A deep hollow gives you more secure edges but I find them harder to control since they grab the ice more and tend to drag a bit, making it harder to skate faster as well.
I just found them really hard to control. I spent a lot of time trying to "dull them" on the boards but they were still really sharp.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:45 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Or you could get a custom profile on your steel. Makes skating in a new style skates much easier. But that might be too expensive for your problem.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 06:10 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
I just found them really hard to control. I spent a lot of time trying to "dull them" on the boards but they were still really sharp.
I'm gonna side with Mike on this one. Find out what your old grind was and go from there. If the place where you go now is half way reputable, they can check the gring on your skates to make sure the cut is in the center of the runner and can put any hollow in them that you like.

The only time I've seen skates that are "too" sharp is when they are not ground in the center causing the one edge to be higher than the other and giving the feeling that the skates seem to bite too much.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Slick

Haha had this same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. I'm the one who had the Vapor10's that I couldn't skate on the first time I went out on them. Found out the reason was because where I bought them wasn't where I usually get my skates sharpened. I had the same problem, felt too sharp (too deep of a hollow). It sucks, you look like you've never skated before. I also found stopping very difficult to dig in. Hope you are able to get in contact with your old shop and find out the hollow, if not just ask the guy next time.

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Heat McManus

Best thing to do is ask what they set their normal hollow at and then just ask them to do it a little less than that. You could always call your old pro-shop too.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Ti-girl

Well I called my old sharpener and he uses a 7/16 hollow on female skates. I went and got my blades looked at. I went to another place and he said that the hollow is deeper than what they use, which is 3/8.

He resharpened them at a 7/16 so hopefully they should be a bit better.

Is 7/16 a really small hollow? Or is 3/8 a really deep hollow?

Old
02-02-2007, 05:35 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

if you find them too sharp, scrape (more like slide) them on some wood, maybe the bench, that'll "dull" them

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 05:55 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Well I called my old sharpener and he uses a 7/16 hollow on female skates. I went and got my blades looked at. I went to another place and he said that the hollow is deeper than what they use, which is 3/8.

He resharpened them at a 7/16 so hopefully they should be a bit better.

Is 7/16 a really small hollow? Or is 3/8 a really deep hollow?
7/16 is shallower than 3/8, so that's backwards.

3/8 = 6/16. The smaller the number, the deeper the hollow, the more it bites into the ice.

I think 3/8 is on the deep side. I'm still learning to skate and I've just started experimenting with hollows, but right now mine are 9/16 and I think the next time I get them sharpened I'll go up to 5/8 (I'm a girl too, BTW).

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
7/16 is shallower than 3/8, so that's backwards.

3/8 = 6/16. The smaller the number, the deeper the hollow, the more it bites into the ice.

I think 3/8 is on the deep side. I'm still learning to skate and I've just started experimenting with hollows, but right now mine are 9/16 and I think the next time I get them sharpened I'll go up to 5/8 (I'm a girl too, BTW).
I've always been told the other way. 1/2 is the shallowest and 5/26th being the deepeest hollow.

Old
02-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Heat McManus

At my shop we set the stone to 7/16 unless they ask for it to be different. If they ask for it to be "sharp" we set it to 3/8. If they ask for it to be "not too sharp" we set it at 1/2.

Some bigger guys ask for 5/8. The bigger you are the more weight you put on your edges therefore you don't need as deep a hollow (generally speaking).

Old
02-02-2007, 07:03 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
I've always been told the other way. 1/2 is the shallowest and 5/26th being the deepeest hollow.
That's the same as what I said. 1/2 is shallower than 7/16, which is shallower than 3/8, which is shallower than 5/26 (fractions are evil, especially with different denominators).

Old
02-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
That's the same as what I said. 1/2 is shallower than 7/16, which is shallower than 3/8, which is shallower than 5/26 (fractions are evil, especially with different denominators).

I'm severly dyslexic.

Either that or my ******-its is coming back.

Old
02-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
Quote:

I'm severly dyslexic.

Ask for either a 1/2 cut or a 5/8th.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:29 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:

I'm severly dyslexic.

My brain doesn't like fractions much either. I had to read my post like 5 times to make sure it wasn't backward.

Old
02-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
My brain doesn't like fractions much either. I had to read my post like 5 times to make sure it wasn't backward.
I sharpen 10-20 skates per day and i still have to look at the chart to get it right when I adjust the stone.

Old
02-03-2007, 07:20 AM
MikeD

Quote:
the deepest you can get is an ROH 2x the width of your blade. Any smaller and the arc will not go edge to edge.

There is the odd goalie that will skate on a 1.5" ROH but they also tend to have a 28-30' Radius rocker on the profile. THe reduced surface in contact with the ice gives more bite. Stefan Popa, former GC at U of M uses that setting as well as several of the goalies he has coached. I use the 28' R profile but kept my 1" ROH.

One of our best local shops also grinds the out players at a standard 7/16th. it is VITAL that the grind be centered both on the blades run and the profile be correct. If those are not done and you start changing your ROH selection...your going to get lost as to what you will truely skate best on. Have your local guy show you how to check your blades or learn from an online source such as noiceingsports.com it will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote