HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Keith Tkachuk..

Old
02-01-2007, 08:37 AM
GarretJoseph

vCash: 500
Keith Tkachuk..

I left the TV on last night after being disgusted with Matt Cullen taking that penalty & the NYR losing 2-1 to the Leafs.

I'm not sure how much longer but something grabbed my attention.. It was a report showing Tkachuk & the Rangers logo & they said that the NYR are close to trading for this guy to be the CENTER.

At first I thought Sather made a deal because thats how casters usually set it up to announce a trade has happened..

Did anybody else see this? & has anybody heard anything about this going down?

I don't hate Keith, I liked him a lot a few years ago. I'm sure he's got something left in the tank but I don't really want him on THIS team.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:51 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I left the TV on last night after being disgusted with Matt Cullen taking that penalty & the NYR losing 2-1 to the Leafs.

I'm not sure how much longer but something grabbed my attention.. It was a report showing Tkachuk & the Rangers logo & they said that the NYR are close to trading for this guy to be the CENTER.

At first I thought Sather made a deal because thats how casters usually set it up to announce a trade has happened..

Did anybody else see this? & has anybody heard anything about this going down?

I don't hate Keith, I liked him a lot a few years ago. I'm sure he's got something left in the tank but I don't really want him on THIS team.
Couldn't agree more. Tkachuk is nothing but a rental at this point, and the team needs a lot more than an over-the-hill winger playing out of position at center. No need to give up young assets for that.

And his attitude sucks to boot.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:19 AM
UAGoalieGuy

If the rumors out of Florida are true and Horton wants out of there, I think the Rangers should take a shot at him, rather than give up some rediculous amount of prospects/picks for an over-the-hill player.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:23 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
If the rumors out of Florida are true and Horton wants out of there, I think the Rangers should take a shot at him, rather than give up some rediculous amount of prospects/picks for an over-the-hill player.
HOrton I would definatly take a run at. NO to TK and No to Forsberg.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 09:28 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I'd love to have Horton as well, although it would likely require a kings ransom to pry him from Florida. I imagine there'd be no shortage of teams making serious bids for a young center of his quality. I'd rather stand pat, make some minor moves, look at the UFA market in the offseason and see what we have with Dubinsky.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'd love to have Horton as well, although it would likely require a kings ransom to pry him from Florida. I imagine there'd be no shortage of teams making serious bids for a young center of his quality. I'd rather stand pat, make some minor moves, look at the UFA market in the offseason and see what we have with Dubinsky.
If this price isn't too outrageous, Horton is the kind of guy I go for.

I'd trade young assets for him because frankly you're getting a pretty young forward who has already shown he's an NHL player probably at least a second liner.

He's exactly the kind of player you want learning from Brendan Shanahan.

I'd be willing to pay a pretty big price for him.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
If this price isn't too outrageous, Horton is the kind of guy I go for.

I'd trade young assets for him because frankly you're getting a pretty young forward who has already shown he's an NHL player probably at least a second liner.

He's exactly the kind of player you want learning from Brendan Shanahan.

I'd be willing to pay a pretty big price for him.
Montoya?

I would too.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Montoya?

I would too.
I'd trade just about anyone but Staal to be honest with you.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I'd trade just about anyone but Staal to be honest with you.
Yeah, we're on the same page.

Horton is the kinda player i've been waiting to see on Broadway since forever.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Edge

Well if you're going to move young assets with potential, the best way to move them is for young talent.

In the case of Horton he's somewhat proven at least. Worst case scenario is that he's a 25 goal, 55-60 point second line player.

If I'm going to package young players, there is a guy I package them for. Heck give them a first, give them a Dubinsky, Montoya, etc.

You not only fill your second line need but you get a guy who can fill a need potentially for the next 15 years.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:34 PM
SML

Very interesting idea. Horton is a kid who was picked ahead of all of our prospects, and would still be if the draft were held today. This is the kind of deal i was talking about in the other thread. If we give up an A level prospect and a first rounder, this is the kind of player we need back, not Brad Boyes. I am as guilty as anyone of valuing potential and futures, but somebody has to actually produce on the ice. I wouldn't give up Staal, but pretty much anyone else I would listen to.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:40 PM
ebn

I would like Horton too. But com on they are not trading him wether he wants out or not. He will resign with Florida.

ebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:59 PM
eco's bones

I agree but Dubinsky and Montoya should just about push that deal to the brink.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:00 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Horton FTW. Montoya sounds like a reasonable price for Horton. They get both the marketing punch as well as a #1 goalie. How far is Horton off from being a #1 center? I know he was a 3rd overall pick so it's surprising if he didn't make #1. I'd be willing to throw in more for the deal if I knew we were getting a #1 center instead of a #2.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Edge

So I think that's the general opinion, anything but Staal. That list includes Dubinsky, Montoya, First Rounder, etc.

It'd almost make too much sense for it to happen, but I'd be thrilled if it did.

Old
02-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Horton FTW. Montoya sounds like a reasonable price for Horton. They get both the marketing punch as well as a #1 goalie. How far is Horton off from being a #1 center? I know he was a 3rd overall pick so it's surprising if he didn't make #1. I'd be willing to throw in more for the deal if I knew we were getting a #1 center instead of a #2.
Montoya by himself isn't going to get it done. You're talking about a kid who isn't even 22 who is already 25 goal, 60 point player and has a physical edge.

He has a lot of developing to do but if he were a #1 already it becomes a moot point because we're not having this conversation.

Old
02-01-2007, 02:57 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

You can force Florida's hand by signing Horton to an offer sheet and trying to work out a trade rather than give up the draft picks

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Michael Scofield

i say we go for Forsberg. it may be a rental move for a playoff push but hes still got plently of talent. Tkachuk a center? I say no to that but also hes LW and mixing up our lines like that is crazy

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Montoya by himself isn't going to get it done. You're talking about a kid who isn't even 22 who is already 25 goal, 60 point player and has a physical edge.

He has a lot of developing to do but if he were a #1 already it becomes a moot point because we're not having this conversation.
Sounds like a very interesting player. Any idea why he is not happy in Florida?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:41 PM
patnyrnyg

I am not taking the Tkachuck rumors seriously. The Rangers are rumored to be very close to a deal to bring him here every 6 months.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Sounds like a very interesting player. Any idea why he is not happy in Florida?
In talking to some Florida friends it's a combination of a few things.

From his end, the team isn't going anywhere, he was recently demoted to the 4th line and I don't believe he is fond of the coach.

From the team's end he is being selfish, has been inconsistent and hasn't been a team player all the time.

Horton has a ton of talent, but he is also has a lot of growing up to do and development as a player.

Having said that, I personally think he's EXACTLY the kind of kid you want not only on the same team as Brendan Shanahan but on the same line.

Forget trying to turn the Hall, Jessiman, Ward etc. into something they aren't, I think Horton (in a group with a guy like Nash) is exactly what you'd want to have Shanahan have an impact on.

Like I said, if they are willing to move him, Horton is the kind of player I take a chance on and pay a higher price.

Old
02-01-2007, 06:26 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
You can force Florida's hand by signing Horton to an offer sheet and trying to work out a trade rather than give up the draft picks
Actually, didn't the new CBA and the Kesler situation prove this to only handcuff moving the said player.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Rangers signed Horton in the offseason to an offer sheet, Florida would either have to take the compensation or match it (and cannot trade Horton for 1 year)?

Is there any situation where the Rangers can sign Nathan to the offer sheet and Florida can trade him prior to making a decision to match? I didn't think there was...

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Balej20*

Just to play devils advocate here...Before last season, Horton did have some injury problems.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Pizza

Quote:
In talking to some Florida friends it's a combination of a few things.

From his end, the team isn't going anywhere, he was recently demoted to the 4th line and I don't believe he is fond of the coach.

From the team's end he is being selfish, has been inconsistent and hasn't been a team player all the time.

Horton has a ton of talent, but he is also has a lot of growing up to do and development as a player.

Having said that, I personally think he's EXACTLY the kind of kid you want not only on the same team as Brendan Shanahan but on the same line.

Forget trying to turn the Hall, Jessiman, Ward etc. into something they aren't, I think Horton (in a group with a guy like Nash) is exactly what you'd want to have Shanahan have an impact on.

Like I said, if they are willing to move him, Horton is the kind of player I take a chance on and pay a higher price.
Thanks Edge. Interesting too be sure, but the price will be Steeeeeeeeep!! I think clearing the cap space for Kasper among other things means they are seriously considering something. Just have to wait and see what it might be.

Are you hearing anything specific?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Edge

Nothing specific, pretty sure that nothing has even been discussed with anyone at this point. As of right now it's all a very big "maybe" situation that he even gets moved in the first place.

Horton's price will indeed be steep, but it won't be impossible either. In other words Florida isn't going to get a Ovechkin like return for him.

I think the Rangers have the assets, if they want to go for him.

The general opinion of the Rangers system is pretty good.

Like I said, my dream scenario is getting Boyes and Horton and then going for a FA defenseman in the offseason. Is it likely to happen? No.