HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators NCAA prospects update

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2007, 12:00 AM
  #1
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 7,740
vCash: 500
Senators NCAA prospects update

The Ottawa Senators have 10 prospects in the NCAA ranks this season.

Read full article...






HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:35 AM
  #2
The_Heat_Is_On_15*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,166
vCash: 500
Brian Lee , Brian Elliot , Shawn Weller Eric Gryba , Tim Cook

Represent in the double N

The_Heat_Is_On_15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:26 AM
  #3
Roy G Biv*
 
Roy G Biv*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,912
vCash: 500
I think we'll only see Elliot, Lee, and maybe Weller in the NHL. Condra is the wild card.

Elliot's .920 SV % on a losing team impresses me. Lee hasn't progressed at all this season. I think he'll spend a couple of years in the AHL after college.

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:30 AM
  #4
Human Megaphone
Registered User
 
Human Megaphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 500
I am pretty impressed with Weller, I will admit I thought he'd be a bust. Some of the guys like Tim Cook intrigued me, but I've never been a huge fan of NCAA defencemen.


Last edited by Human Megaphone: 02-02-2007 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:06 AM
  #5
Buckleys
Registered User
 
Buckleys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,047
vCash: 500
This article truly intrigued me. Our players are diverse. I could see every single one of them making the NHL at this rate. Their hard workers, and seem to play their role. McKenzie has an excellent chance at making the NHL someday. McIlvane is improving, and could very well make it. Cooper has atleast earned a spot on Binghamton on a checking line with Cody Bass, especially with Danny Bois being a wildcard with the big team next year.

Weller, Condra, and Lee seem sure shots at the NHL. Elliot looks like he has an excellent chance. Tim Cook could eventually be a 6-7 defensemen. However, notice how hes been put on forward, he reminds me strangly of Chris Phillips for some reason, I wouldn't count him out yet. Eric Gryba is another prospect that I like, but I'm also concerned that he's Neil Komadoski in the making (I hope someone can tell me that is a completely wrong assesment. I've been a fan of Condra for quite sometime, and see him becoming 2nd/3rd line RW. The other 3 are a wait and see game.

Most of these prospects have certainly been a nice surprise.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:44 AM
  #6
The Lehner
#LehnerTime
 
The Lehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
This article truly intrigued me. Our players are diverse. I could see every single one of them making the NHL at this rate.
Most of these prospects have certainly been a nice surprise.
I think you are overestimating our prospects a little bit, although I must admit I like your enthusiasm. I sure hope they all make the NHL, but that's not very realistic IMO.

From I have read and seen (limited), here is how I would rate the Sens NCAA prospects in terms of pro potential:

D - Brian Lee (likely to become a top 4 d-man in the NHL)
G - Brian Elliott (likely NHL goalie - quite a steal for a 9th round pick)
LW - Shawn Weller (good shot at being NHL 3rd/4th liner)
RW - Erik Condra (may top out as a AHLer due to size issues, good 7th round pick however)
RW - Jim McKenzie (AHLer IMO)
D - Eric Gryba and F Colin Greening (haven't seen them enough to give an informed opinion)

I think the following players have no shot whatsoever at making the NHL, and I don't think they will be signed by the Sens:

RW - Joe Cooper (has to be signed by August/07)
D - Tim Cook (has to be signed by August/07)
F - Matt McIlvane (has to be signed by August/08)

Just my 2 cents...

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:45 AM
  #7
Roy G Biv*
 
Roy G Biv*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,912
vCash: 500
Let's not overrate our prospects.

Right now, we probably have our worst crop in recent history. No top-end talents.

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:03 PM
  #8
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
Let's not overrate our prospects.

Right now, we probably have our worst crop in recent history. No top-end talents.
I respectfully disagree.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:07 PM
  #9
Roy G Biv*
 
Roy G Biv*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
I respectfully disagree.
What years were worse?

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:14 PM
  #10
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
What years were worse?
Everything pre 2003.

But really our first round picks make it to the show pretty quickly. We also grab good talent in the other rounds. If Meszaros was not already in the NHL and thriving he would be an elite prospect. He made it at 20.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:16 PM
  #11
Calorissi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Manotick
Country: Canada
Posts: 864
vCash: 500
Roy G Biv:

Don't forget our Russian prospects. Zubov, Mironov, and Vitaly Anikeyenko could really amount to something and a couple others may be pleasant suprises.

It sounds like there will be an agreement with Russia next year so we will get a much better look at (at least some of) them.

There is also Foligno and Daugavins.

I think that Bingo will be pretty happy for the next couple years at least.

Calorissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:49 PM
  #12
Roy G Biv*
 
Roy G Biv*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Everything pre 2003.

But really our first round picks make it to the show pretty quickly. We also grab good talent in the other rounds. If Meszaros was not already in the NHL and thriving he would be an elite prospect. He made it at 20.
At the 2002 rookie camp, attendees included:
-Jason Spezza
-Ray Emery
-Antoine Vermette
-Christoph Schubert
-Anton Volchenkov
-Tim Gleason

I agree that one of the reasons our prospect pool is at a low lies with the fact that we have many good young players that no lounger count as prospects. But that doesn't change the fact that our pool is at one of its worst points in years.

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:54 PM
  #13
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
At the 2002 rookie camp, attendees included:
-Jason Spezza
-Ray Emery
-Antoine Vermette
-Christoph Schubert
-Anton Volchenkov
-Tim Gleason

I agree that one of the reasons our prospect pool is at a low lies with the fact that we have many good young players that no lounger count as prospects. But that doesn't change the fact that our pool is at one of its worst points in years.
Ya 2002 was great. I overlooked it.

As for our prospects we have

Mirnov,Anikeyenko,Lyamin,Elliott,Folingo,Lee,Henne ssy,Zubov,Nikulin,Weller,Kudelka and Barinka. I think those players could all have roles in the NHL one day. I am probably missing a few guys too that could come of nowhere. I think we have a very deep core of prospects.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:19 PM
  #14
Buckleys
Registered User
 
Buckleys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable View Post
I think you are overestimating our prospects a little bit, although I must admit I like your enthusiasm. I sure hope they all make the NHL, but that's not very realistic IMO.

From I have read and seen (limited), here is how I would rate the Sens NCAA prospects in terms of pro potential:

D - Brian Lee (likely to become a top 4 d-man in the NHL)
G - Brian Elliott (likely NHL goalie - quite a steal for a 9th round pick)
LW - Shawn Weller (good shot at being NHL 3rd/4th liner)
RW - Erik Condra (may top out as a AHLer due to size issues, good 7th round pick however)
RW - Jim McKenzie (AHLer IMO)
D - Eric Gryba and F Colin Greening (haven't seen them enough to give an informed opinion)

I think the following players have no shot whatsoever at making the NHL, and I don't think they will be signed by the Sens:

RW - Joe Cooper (has to be signed by August/07)
D - Tim Cook (has to be signed by August/07)
F - Matt McIlvane (has to be signed by August/08)

Just my 2 cents...
I know I was over rating them... but it makes me feel better thinking we have tons of players that could make the NHL.

I still think McKenzie has a decent chance at cracking our 4th line at some point in time. McIlvane is a junior and has one more year. With the rough shape of Bingo's defense squad, the Senators will sign Tim Cook, seeing as how he is still an upgrade over Komadoski and Petruic. As I mentioned, Cooper might get a shot with Bingo because Danny Bois is a wildcard for the big club.

I could see Weller being a 3rd line LW. Condra is about Alfredson's size, so I have no worries about Condra, he just needs to keep up his hardwork and dedication.

Dont know enough about Greening to judge, however I didn't realize he started in the NCAA.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:26 PM
  #15
Buckleys
Registered User
 
Buckleys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
At the 2002 rookie camp, attendees included:
-Jason Spezza Very difficult to replace this top end talent
-Ray Emery Brian Elliot, Jeff Glass
-Antoine Vermette - Ilya Zubov, Igor Mirnov
-Christoph Schubert - Vitali Anikeyenko
-Anton Volchenkov - Kirill Lyamin
-Tim Gleason - Brian Lee

I agree that one of the reasons our prospect pool is at a low lies with the fact that we have many good young players that no lounger count as prospects. But that doesn't change the fact that our pool is at one of its worst points in years.
I disagree with you about this being the worst point. The only thing "lacking" is a top end offensive talent like Jason Spezza, but they aren't exactly something you find at the 20 mark and beyond in a draft. Also, give Daugavins, Regin, and the Russians time, they could prove me wrong on that.

Besides, look at the positive side. With clutch coming back into the NHL, we have a whole pile of grinders that will make us feared and we will win the stanley cup because everyone will be afraid to touch the puck

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.