HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A question about Emery

Old
02-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

vCash: 500
A question about Emery

I am NOT trying to start a fight here, but let me ask:

Do you guys really believe in Emery? As an outsider, Sabres fan, I wouldn't have confidence come playoff time in him. Maybe I am biased because of last year and the screwed up situation Hasek left you in, but I am just not sure.

Has he really matured that much? I suppose we had the same worries last year with Miller.

On another note I think Brad Boyes would fit really nicely into your lineup. What do you guys think?

Ghost of Dale Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:08 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I feel bad for Emery because, unlike many other teams, including the Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes, we didn't have a legitimate back-up to put in when he inevitably had a bad game.

That's a lot of pressure for a rookie goaltender. Even Conn Smythe winner Ward was taken out during Carolina's run at one point.

We're hoping that Gerber returns to the form where he will be able to spell out Emery in the event and provide a release valve for some of that pressure.

Emery has also matured quite a bit in the last year, playing with more of a quiet confidence and less of that obnoxious brashness which was entertaining but occasionally distracting.

He still has his weaknesses to work on (mainly breakaways and odd-man rushes), but he remains statistically a very good goaltender.

There is only one proven goaltender in the East (again) and that goalie is Martin Brodeur. Everyone else is a question mark.

We really don't need a guy like Boyes in that we already have a lot of young forwards (Vermette, Kelly, Eaves) who probably don't get the icetime they'd receive on another team with less depth.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Brandi

Emery has a ton of confidence, which allows me to have that in him

Hell no, he's no Hasek, but he's doing pretty good.

At the end of the day, it's who we have, so it doesn't really matter what I think... but yes, he has improved a ton since the playoffs last year.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Sens are like Whoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Dale Hunter View Post

Do you guys really believe in Emery? As an outsider, Sabres fan, I wouldn't have confidence come playoff time in him. Maybe I am biased because of last year and the screwed up situation Hasek left you in, but I am just not sure.

Has he really matured that much? I suppose we had the same worries last year with Miller.

On another note I think Brad Boyes would fit really nicely into your lineup. What do you guys think?
I'm sitting on the fence really. I've been impressed with his play this season, but also worried as to whether or not it will hold up.

I think the only way to solve that mystery is to throw him the ball and see how well he does in the playoffs.

One thing is for sure, he's been consistent for us thus far... and I think that's something we can depend on.

Sens are like Whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:14 AM
discostu

Quote:

In a word, yes, we have confidence in Emery. He's earned every bit of trust that management has put in him thus far.

He had one bad game last year, that people seem to harp on, yet Miller gets a free ride despite letting in 6 goals that game.

As for Boyes, there's really now room for him here. We have a tough enough time trying to find room for Antoine Vermette, who's a comparable player who's the same age.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Reggie Dunlop

Quote:

Do you guys really believe in Emery?
I believe in him, i've seen him in person with my own eyes. It's Santa, the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny i'm not convinced about

But seriously, I believe in big play Ray and coming into this year's playoffs with last year's playoffs experience coupled with him taking over and running with the #1 position while the team was really struggling early on has to have helped in his development and confidence IMO. On top of that, he isn't just average this season, he's currently in the top 5 in the league and has had huge games where he was clearly the difference maker.

That's my story and I am sticking to it

JS

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Clutch Mediocrity

If he can continue playing at his current level, definatly.

I'm optomistic he'll be good enough for us in the post-season in large part due to what NyQuill already mentioned - the goaltending in the East is pretty sad. Other than Brodeur there's no real bonafied star netminder in the conference. It's not like going with Emery is all that bad comparatively. Using Buffalo as an example, I have more faith in Rayzor than I do Miller right now. I've never been a fan of Miller's though, and he seems to be letting in more softies this season while Emery on the other hand has improved dramatically.

The one major weakness Emery has is breakaways. Thankfully, there are no shoot-out in the playoffs and you'd hope the defense would limit those types of situations in April.

Clutch Mediocrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:40 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

To be honest, I think the team and its fans has to have confidence in Ray Emery. He's the goalie of the present and future for this team. He's had a terrific year this year, and both Muckler and Murray likely would have been fired had Emery not come back early from injury and propelled this team into the playoff race.

I'm glad he does have a year of playoff experience under his belt now...hopefully that will help him this coming spring.

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Roy G Biv*

I would like to voice my displeasure with the Senators organization.

To not have a full-time goaltending guru shadowing your young netminder is terribly irresponsible. The salary he'll command is nothing compared to the potential return on investment.

Emery's problems have always been (and continue to be) technical problems. He's a big body, and should be using that more to his advantage. He often relies too much on athleticism, like a smaller goalie should. He's big AND athletic. With good fundamentals, he'd be unstoppable.

Look what Allaire did for Giguere in Anaheim. Even Emery raves about how much his summer tutoring in Calgary helped him. Who tutored him? Why not give him a job?

It boggles the mind. It would be great if the Ottawa media stopped having beer with the players/management, and asked the questions that matter.

Last edited by Roy G Biv*: 02-02-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:47 AM
SoulPatch

I think what's more important is if team has confidence in him. Last year's playoff's they did not, and it showed after game1 in the Buffalo series. This year it looks like he's won them (and the fans) over, so now we can go in the playoff's playing our style rather than worry about the other team getting a shot on our goalie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
I would like to voice my displeasure with the Senators oragnization.

To not have a full-time goaltending guru shadowing your young netminder is terribly irresponsible. The salary he'll command is nothing compared to the potential return on investment.

Emery's problems have always been (and continue to be) technical problems. He's a big body, and should be using that more to his advantage. He often relies too much on athleticism, like a smaller goalie should. He's big AND athletic. With good fundamentals, he'd be unstoppable.

Look what Allaire did for Giguere in Anaheim. Even Emery raves about how much his summer tutoring in Calgary helped him. Who tutored him? Why not give him a job?

It boggles the mind. It would be great if the Ottawa media stopped having beer with the players/management, and asked the questions that matter.
agree 100%

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:04 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
I think what's more important is if team has confidence in him. Last year's playoff's they did not, and it showed after game1 in the Buffalo series. This year it looks like he's won them (and the fans) over, so now we can go in the playoff's playing our style rather than worry about the other team getting a shot on our goalie.
That's it exactly. I think last year, everyone believed in Hasek so much that the team was totally shaken when he went down, and never really recovered. They had no faith in Ray last season, and it was especially noticable as the pressure of the playoffs ramped up.

This year, his play is much improved, he has the confidence of his teammates, coaching, management and the fans, and he has 10 games of playoff experience behind him. I'm confident he'll do really well in the playoffs this year.

(ducks anti-PPC committee)

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:15 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:

I dont think Emery was a problem last year. He played pretty well. (besides game 1, but the same goes for Miller).

The problem last year is that Emery only played a part of the season, so when he had one bad game in the playoffs, the team lost confidence in him, and tried to play a different style the rest of the series. This year, the sens have played the whole season with him, even through the hard times. Right now the team has full confidence in him, and if he does happen to have a bad game in the playoffs (which can happen to anybody), the team will not lose confidence in him.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Rico__Persson*

I have no confidence in Emery when he's in nets, and I don't believe he's a franchise goalie. In fact I think there's a better chance he isn't even in the NHL in five years, than him ending up being a true #1 franchise man.

Due to the awful start this year, Ottawa has flown under most peoples radar. I said it in the summer when the roster was set, and I'll say it again. I think this is the best group of position players ever assembled in Ottawa, from a teamwork standpoint. This may not be the highest skilled [even though it's close], but it is the hardest to beat 4 times out of 7 tries...in my opinion.

This team has been playing well and limiting real chances. Scooping up rebounds and playing solid man to man defense in front of the net. Couple that with the highest level of physical play that this team has ever shown, and major shots blocks, and you'll see a team that's hard to play against and one that doesn't give up many chances.

Emery is good enough where he can make the easy saves. Shots from the slot, blueline...the easy stuff. He can at least stop the first one. But when you look at the true chances, 2 on 1's and breakways...most end up in the back of the net.

I feel Emery is playing goal on a great team, and getting too much credit for it. I'd love to see him in Philly. I don't think he'd be in the league. He has so many technical flaws that it's funny to hear him called a future franchise goalie. The biggest problem is that Ottawa has never drafted a good goaltender before, and when they did [Emery is infactgood], fans over react and call him great and amazing, simply because he's the first ok netminder to come through the system.

Time will tell, and the playoffs will be the real test. Unfortunately I feel Ottawa will be in the same position this summer as they were last summer --- desperately looking for a true #1 goalie, good enough to roll with this rock solid team. Times ticking with this core of guys...you can't waste time on a so-so netminder.

Also I think Emery's over-confidence will be a negative effect over the long run. He thinks he's better than he really is. So far it's worked in selling himself to the media, but I think it's only a matter of time until he loses his swagger and comes back down to earth. He's fortunate to be playing in the situation he's in.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:41 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico__Persson View Post
This team has been playing well and limiting real chances. Scooping up rebounds and playing solid man to man defense in front of the net. Couple that with the highest level of physical play that this team has ever shown, and major shots blocks, and you'll see a team that's hard to play against and one that doesn't give up many chances.

Emery is good enough where he can make the easy saves. Shots from the slot, blueline...the easy stuff. He can at least stop the first one. But when you look at the true chances, 2 on 1's and breakways...most end up in the back of the net.

I feel Emery is playing goal on a great team, and getting too much credit for it. I'd love to see him in Philly. I don't think he'd be in the league. He has so many technical flaws that it's funny to hear him called a future franchise goalie.
This team has been playing well since Christmas.... CHRISTMAS. Before that, they weren't far off from Philadelphia and the biggest difference between us and Philly was Emery.
Goalie is as much a mental position as it is a technical position. I'd rather have Emery right now, than one of those weepy technically sound goalies whose positioning and focus will go down the crapper with one bad goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
He had one bad game last year, that people seem to harp on, yet Miller gets a free ride despite letting in 6 goals that game
They were all bad games, even Game 4. Its the playoffs, scoring goes down... allowing 3 goals on 20 shots is not acceptable. Forcing your team to back off offensively to babysit you, hoping to gawd that you don't have to save a shot, is unacceptable. Scoring goes down to near-soccer levels and 3 goals against is a loss.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
I have no confidence in Emery when he's in nets, and I don't believe he's a franchise goalie. In fact I think there's a better chance he isn't even in the NHL in five years, than him ending up being a true #1 franchise man.

Due to the awful start this year, Ottawa has flown under most peoples radar. I said it in the summer when the roster was set, and I'll say it again. I think this is the best group of position players ever assembled in Ottawa, from a teamwork standpoint. This may not be the highest skilled [even though it's close], but it is the hardest to beat 4 times out of 7 tries...in my opinion.

I feel Emery is playing goal on a great team, and getting too much credit for it. I'd love to see him in Philly. I don't think he'd be in the league. He has so many technical flaws that it's funny to hear him called a future franchise goalie. The biggest problem is that Ottawa has never drafted a good goaltender before, and when they did [Emery is infactgood], fans over react and call him great and amazing, simply because he's the first ok netminder to come through the system.

Time will tell, and the playoffs will be the real test. Unfortunately I feel Ottawa will be in the same position this summer as they were last summer --- desperately looking for a true #1 goalie, good enough to roll with this rock solid team. Times ticking with this core of guys...you can't waste time on a so-so netminder.

Also I think Emery's over-confidence will be a negative effect over the long run. He thinks he's better than he really is. So far it's worked in selling himself to the media, but I think it's only a matter of time until he loses his swagger and comes back down to earth. He's fortunate to be playing in the situation he's in.
Amen brother, preach on.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Reggie Dunlop

Quote:
I feel Emery is playing goal on a great team, and getting too much credit for it. I'd love to see him in Philly. I don't think he'd be in the league
I'd love to see any goalie in Philly really.. Brodeur, Luongo, Miller and Emery all face an average of 26/27 shots a game and all four are either leading or near the top in the 4 important goaltending categories. Giguere faces an average of 24 shots/per game and Hasek faces an average of only 20 shots/per game... So considering Emery is really working just as hard or if not harder than some of those top goalies, I can't say I agree with you on most, if any of your points. But everyone's entitled to their opinion

So to your Philly point, let's put Emery in Detroit and see just how "really" well he'd do.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop: 02-02-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Murphy*

I'll just say this, I love the collapsing defence. It will win us games in the playoffs...I know we've lost some because of it.

Murphy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:17 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
I'll just say this, I love the collapsing defence. It will win us games in the playoffs...I know we've lost some because of it.
I absolutely hate the collapsing defense, it kills us in the playoffs. Though if we did it and made it work for us that would be great.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:20 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:

Emery had pretty much erased the ill feelings from last year by the end of November. It's all been gravy since then.

I'd like to see Boyes as a Senator but we don't have much room. After next year we'll probably lose one of Heatley or Spezza and he might be a nice addition but not now. I think we would fit nicely a few years down the road on a line with Vermette.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Recipe for beating the Ottawa Senators:

-Have a decent goalie
-Collapse around him like whoa
-Capitalize on a PP, or some sort of turnover
-Win game

Last edited by Roy G Biv*: 02-02-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old
02-02-2007, 12:38 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Recipe for beating the Ottawa Senators:

-Have a decent goalie
-Collapse arround him like whoa
-Capitalize on a PP, or some sort of turnover
-Win game
That's exactly when we're supposed to throw somebody in front and start feeding Corvo, Schubert, Redden and Meszaros for point shots.
Although, in Corvo's case... they may be more like headshots. Meh, either way... whatever clears the front of the net the quickest.

Old
02-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
That's exactly when we're supposed to throw somebody in front and start feeding Corvo, Schubert, Redden and Meszaros for point shots.
Although, in Corvo's case... they may be more like headshots. Meh, either way... whatever clears the front of the net the quickest.
Incompetent D-man shoots into forward's shin pads. Puck bounces back across blueline, initiating a race. 2 on 1 the other way. Redden decides to play the old lady eating popcorn in section 317, Emery commits to a shot that will be taken 4 games from now. Goal.

Old
02-02-2007, 12:45 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Incompetent D-man shoots into forward's shin pads. Puck bounces back across blueline, initiating a race. 2 on 1 the other way. Goal.
Gives me nightmares.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:45 PM
moz
Gute Post

Emery gets no respect. He's just as proven as his oft-compared counterpart Miller and more proven than Vokoun, Huet, Toskala, Lehtonen, Auld, Fernandez, Mason, Luongo, Lundqvist, Fleury, DiPietro etc. etc. etc. as a sophomore goaltender. Why not give him his due credit?

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:50 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Incompetent D-man shoots into forward's shin pads. Puck bounces back across blueline, initiating a race. 2 on 1 the other way. Redden decides to play the old lady eating popcorn in section 317, Emery commits to a shot that will be taken 4 games from now. Goal.
Haha... you said collapsed defense. Not regular season defense. But yeah... they'll take more chances if Corvo is out there trying to shatter the glass behind the net.

It's odd, I had some fun games as a kid playing hockey video games trying to break the glass behind the net. But in real life... it's just not that cool.