HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A question about Emery

Old
02-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruky View Post
Please, Tampa Bay was pathetic last year in the playoffs.

Huet: 1 trophy, ***** slapped one Hart and Vezina trophy winner
Emery: 0 trophy, ***** slapped an highly paid overrated goalie. Not to mentionned that Ottawa's defence was much better then MTL last year.
You bringing up Theo's past awards shows exactly how much trophies mean, nothing. Anyone could have stolen that job from Theodore.

Oh and btw, the Habs were pathetic last playoffs. I'd much rather get beaten in 5 by Buffalo then choking and blowing a 2-0 series lead. Get out of here.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
It's been relatively quiet on the boards today...
Ottawa's total goaltending stats (sorted by SV% and separated at 20 games):

Hasek = 43 (28-10-4), 2.09, 0.925, 5 SO
Prusek = 48 (28-9-4), 2.23, 0.913, 3 SO
Emery = 82 (48-23-5), 2.59, 0.912, 7 SO
Lalime = 283 (146-100-30), 2.32, 0.908, 30 SO
Tugnutt = 166 (72-51-25), 2.32 , 0.906 , 13 SO
Hurme = 48 (25-14-5), 2.48, 0.905 , 5 SO
Rhodes = 181 (65-74-32), 2.56, 0.902, 11 SO
Gerber = 20 (8-9-1), 3.09, 0.899, 0 SO
D.Beaupre = 71 (14-48-3), 3.53, 0.888, 2 SO
Berthiaume = 26 (2-17-1), 4.39, 0.869, 0 SO
M.Bales = 22 (2-15-1), 4.16, 0.869, 0 SO
Madeley = 39 (4-23-5), 4.36, 0.868, 0 SO
Billington = 72 (11-47-6), 4.53, 0.860, 0 SO
Sidorkiewicz = 64 (8-46-3), 4.43, 0.856, 0 SO

Lajeunesse = 1 (0-1-0), 0.00, 1.000, 0 SO
Barrasso = 7 (3-4-0), 3.16, 0.879, 0 SO
Morrison = 4 (1-0-1), 3.47, 0.875, 0 SO
Fountain = 2 (0-1-0), 3.20, 0.871, 0 SO
Laforest = 5 (0-2-0), 5.60, 0.823, 0 SO
S.Weeks = 7 (0-5-0), 7.23, 0.792, 0 SO

man where did prusek go .. i remember him .. he was awesome .. loved him

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:48 PM
JackBauer

Quote:

Emery: 0 trophy, ***** slapped an highly paid overrated goalie. Not to mentionned that Ottawa's defence was much better then MTL last year.
you're kidding right? huet is king because he took over from theo? peter budaj has taken over from theo? hell, theo last year could have played with dan cloutier and it would have been a competitive battle for first string.

granted, i like huet and think when he gets hot, he can stand on his head and i do think he is better overall than emery...but your reasoning is wrong

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Jasz

Quote:
By that logic, it would mean that Budaj also ***** slapped a Hart and Vezina trophy winner. Would I like Budaj on my team? Not really. Huet or Emery? Sure, both are solid goalies and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I'm confident in Emery as long as the team around him doesn't collapse like they did last year. He's good but he still needs a solid defensive corps around him to take the rebounds and block shooting lanes.

Overall, i'm feeling pretty confident with the goalie duo we have this season.

A more mature Emery & Gerber > a rookie Emery and Morrison... by a landslide.

Jasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 12:50 AM
Lexicon Devil

Saying that Emery is more proven than Vokoun is ridiculous homerism.

Who cares if Emery won a playoff series against a weak team? Despite never winning a series, Vokoun has proven more in the playoffs than Ray Emery. He also has four times the NHL experience and a bunch of international experience.

The Sens would be a big favourite to win the east if they had Vokoun.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Kruky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobofish View Post
You bringing up Theo's past awards shows exactly how much trophies mean, nothing. Anyone could have stolen that job from Theodore.

Oh and btw, the Habs were pathetic last playoffs. I'd much rather get beaten in 5 by Buffalo then choking and blowing a 2-0 series lead. Get out of here.
I wouldn't call the habs pathetic last playoff.

Simply put, if Ward didn't stand on his head, we would have won the series in 4. Not to mention Koivu's injury.

I was never found of Theo and always said his award were ****. I use to play with him when we were kids and let me tell you that everybody that played with him will tell you the same thing.

Only reason I brought it up was for the excuse MOZ had for Emery being more proven because he won one playoff series against a team that never shown any sign of life in the playoff last year.

You can ask trentmccleary, he'll tell you what I think of Theosleeps and his awards. These awards belong to Patrick Roy that year.

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:31 AM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
Saying that Emery is more proven than Vokoun is ridiculous homerism.

Who cares if Emery won a playoff series against a weak team? Despite never winning a series, Vokoun has proven more in the playoffs than Ray Emery. He also has four times the NHL experience and a bunch of international experience.

The Sens would be a big favourite to win the east if they had Vokoun.
Is Vokoun objectively a better goaltender than Emery? No doubt. Would I personally take him over Emery? Absolutely. Is he a more proven playoff goaltender than Emery? Not at all.

Not counting the 94-95 season with Kladno because I can't find win-loss stats, Vokoun has played in 20 playoff games winning 6 (winning percentage .300) He has played in 6 NHL playoff games winning 2 (winning percentage .333). Emery has appeared in 53 playoff games with 25 wins (.472), 10 NHL playoff games winning 5 (.500). So...

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:35 AM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
I wouldn't call the habs pathetic last playoff.

Simply put, if Ward didn't stand on his head, we would have won the series in 4. Not to mention Koivu's injury.

I was never found of Theo and always said his award were ****. I use to play with him when we were kids and let me tell you that everybody that played with him will tell you the same thing.

Only reason I brought it up was for the excuse MOZ had for Emery being more proven because he won one playoff series against a team that never shown any sign of life in the playoff last year.

You can ask trentmccleary, he'll tell you what I think of Theosleeps and his awards. These awards belong to Patrick Roy that year.
He won one playoff series against the reigning Stanley Cup champions with the defending Hart, Art Ross, Lester B. Pearson, Lady Byng and Conn Smythe winners, and were coached by the defending Jack Adams winner. And unlike Theo's "****" awards theirs were well deserved.

Huet is not a proven goaltender I really don't know what you're on about. He is 30 years old and has yet to do anything of significance when it matters. Huet came out of nowhere last year and is having a great year now but he's done nothing at all that indicates he is a "proven" goaltender. Why is this so controversial?

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Answer

corvo for mason

Old
02-03-2007, 02:57 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

You can argue about who is more proven all you like, but there's only one goalie who is significantly more proven than the others and that's Brodeur.

IMHO, all of the bickering over Huet, Miller, Emery, Lehtonen etc. etc. in terms of proven playoff success is pointless because there is so little to evaluate.

You can argue opinions about each all you like but it's hard to believe that any of them is "proven" in some way.

I remember how some Boston fans, before the season, were making the case that they had the least question marks in goal in the division. And we all know how that worked out.

It's far too early to really be even close to conclusive with respect to any of them.

I'm guessing there are tons of people out there who picked Cam Ward as the Conn Smythe winner at the beginning of last season.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
Not counting the 94-95 season with Kladno because I can't find win-loss stats, Vokoun has played in 20 playoff games winning 6 (winning percentage .300) He has played in 6 NHL playoff games winning 2 (winning percentage .333). Emery has appeared in 53 playoff games with 25 wins (.472), 10 NHL playoff games winning 5 (.500). So...
Wins is a team statistic. Comparing goaltenders by winning percentage is obviously ridiculous.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 11:45 AM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
You can argue about who is more proven all you like, but there's only one goalie who is significantly more proven than the others and that's Brodeur.

IMHO, all of the bickering over Huet, Miller, Emery, Lehtonen etc. etc. in terms of proven playoff success is pointless because there is so little to evaluate.

You can argue opinions about each all you like but it's hard to believe that any of them is "proven" in some way.

I remember how some Boston fans, before the season, were making the case that they had the least question marks in goal in the division. And we all know how that worked out.

It's far too early to really be even close to conclusive with respect to any of them.

I'm guessing there are tons of people out there who picked Cam Ward as the Conn Smythe winner at the beginning of last season.
I actully tried to find some optimistic quotes from the begining of the year to cheer them up, but I figured they would just assume I was making fun of them.

Poor Bruins fans have had it pretty rough recently and it's not like the Leafs who deserve it.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Kruky

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
He won one playoff series against the reigning Stanley Cup champions with the defending Hart, Art Ross, Lester B. Pearson, Lady Byng and Conn Smythe winners, and were coached by the defending Jack Adams winner. And unlike Theo's "****" awards theirs were well deserved.

Huet is not a proven goaltender I really don't know what you're on about. He is 30 years old and has yet to do anything of significance when it matters. Huet came out of nowhere last year and is having a great year now but he's done nothing at all that indicates he is a "proven" goaltender. Why is this so controversial?
Emery is not a proven goaltender I really don't know what you're on about. Like I said. My question was, explain to me what Emery has proven to be better then Huet and you failed to do so.

Winning a first round playoff series when it's 1st vs 8th and against a team who clearly didn't show up for that series and almost didn't make the playoff means nothing. Even if they were Stanley cup champs from two previous years. They were obviously not looking like playoff champs last year.

I guess will see this year in the first round who's more proven. Hopefully it's Habs vs Sens.

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:23 PM
SoulPatch

Quote:
Emery is not a proven goaltender I really don't know what you're on about. Like I said. My question was, explain to me what Emery has proven to be better then Huet and you failed to do so.

Winning a first round playoff series when it's 1st vs 8th and against a team who clearly didn't show up for that series and almost didn't make the playoff means nothing. Even if they were Stanley cup champs from two previous years. They were obviously not looking like playoff champs last year.

I guess will see this year in the first round who's more proven. Hopefully it's Habs vs Sens.
His point still stands however, it's not a knock on Huet, it's just that besides Brodeur (and possibly Ward) there are no proven goaltenders in the East. Emery however did win a playoff series, and you can spin it however you want but the Habs finished just 1 point ahead of this 8th place team.

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

agreed.

someone just have to compare, even if they have to do it with sticks and buttons ...

Old
02-03-2007, 02:20 PM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpLiCiT_P1ayA__ View Post
man where did prusek go .. i remember him .. he was awesome .. loved him
Me too. I could never understand why thy let that guy go. He was a way better goalie then Laleak. Martin never gave that guy a chance.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
Me too. I could never understand why thy let that guy go. He was a way better goalie then Laleak. Martin never gave that guy a chance.
The Bluejackets gave him a chance and he sucked bad and that is why we let him go.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobofish View Post
The Bluejackets gave him a chance and he sucked bad and that is why we let him go.
Prusek was so overrated by some Sens fans. LOL.

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 02:28 PM
billpo

Quote:

I agree. Everyone keeps talking about the Tamba series....BIG DEAL!!! When we played a real team, we say who the better goalie was. Until Emery proves himself in the playoffs, he gas done nothing. I hate to say this, but I really think we will be thanking god we have Gerber come palyoff time. I agree with Rico.

Old
02-03-2007, 02:30 PM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagura_24 View Post
Prusek was so overrated by some Sens fans. LOL.
No. The only goalie overated here was Lalime.

Old
02-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
No. The only goalie overated here was Lalime.
Hardly! Half of Sens fans think he was worse than crap.

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 02:46 PM
trentmccleary

Prusek's amount of injuries were directly proportional to the amount of games we tried to play him in. The reason he didn't play as much or as well over a long period of time like Lalime did... was because he was incapable of doing it.
Also, I wouldn't compare two years as a back up facing bottom feeders and getting very slightly better numbers as proving that he's better than Lalime.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 05:26 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Emery is not a proven goaltender I really don't know what you're on about.
And Huet is?

Because of one season?

Come on!

Tiny samples of data here.

He's played 44 more NHL regular season games and 4 fewer NHL playoff games than Emery.

And he's 7 years older than Emery.

It's hardly as if Huet is the grizzled NHL vet and Emery is the wet-behind-the-ears rookie.

Both have substantial question marks when it comes to their NHL careers, and that goes for everyone in the Conference besides Brodeur, which I've made clear already.

Old
02-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Rico__Persson*

Prusek really looked like he could have been the next Hasek. He flopped like him....but just didn't have the mental game, physical strength, endurance, agility, confidence, or durability of Hasek.

You know, I guess when you break it all down, he only had Hasek's helmet. Huh.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 05:32 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico__Persson View Post
Prusek really looked like he could have been the next Hasek. He flopped like him....but just didn't have the mental game, physical strength, endurance, agility, confidence, or durability of Hasek.

You know, I guess when you break it all down, he only had Hasek's helmet. Huh.
I remember him having certain teams' numbers.

And reading on their boards, "God, I hope we don't have to face Prusek."

LOL.

Reminds me of Tim Thomas when he had our number.