HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A question about Emery

Old
02-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Rico__Persson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I remember him having certain teams' numbers.

And reading on their boards, "God, I hope we don't have to face Prusek."

LOL.

Reminds me of Tim Thomas when he had our number.
I liked Marty P. I think he would have been a good solid, cheap career back-up. He was OK for sure. Strange that he couldn't continue with development. That's why it's hard to project what guys like Huet and Emery will turn out like. Too often NHL goaltenders [every goaltender in Ottawa's history] disappear off the face of the earth.

I would have liked to have seen Prusak mentored by Hasek last season, as well as the lockout year. Plus, the photos and video of those two skating side by side in practice would have been quite humourous.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 05:59 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico__Persson View Post
I liked Marty P. I think he would have been a good solid, cheap career back-up. He was OK for sure. Strange that he couldn't continue with development. That's why it's hard to project what guys like Huet and Emery will turn out like. Too often NHL goaltenders [every goaltender in Ottawa's history] disappear off the face of the earth.

I would have liked to have seen Prusak mentored by Hasek last season, as well as the lockout year. Plus, the photos and video of those two skating side by side in practice would have been quite humourous.
Agree with this, and I especially liked him in shootouts and breakaways.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 06:28 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
Emery was fine against the Sabres. Our D allowed Buffalo to make at least 1 pass on every 2-1, and sometimes 2 passes. If you complete the pass and hit the corner with a 1 timed shot, you are going to score every time on every goalie, period. If you allow 2 passes, if the shot hits the net its going in. Our D didn't take away the pass, and we paid for it. Blaming the goalie for that is rediculous.
I agree 100% with this - what was shameful in that game 1 travesty were the overt defensive mistakes by the defencemen, and I don't just mean Meszaros' ludicrous PP pinch, or the Redden-Volchenkov clowning in OT. Taking away the pass on a 2-on-1 is just basic hockey fundamentals, and there was an outright and repeated failure on the part of the defence to do this. Emery may still be unproven, but I think he actually showed quite a bit of resilience in that series. And from what I can see his mental game has only gotten stronger, and that's a big part of what you need to succeed in the playoffs.

sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 06:34 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I think it comes down to the fact that only Emery could have "won" the series, since the rest of the team just wasn't up to the task.

However, it's unfair to say that he "lost" the series.

Weird.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Brandi

we choked

with that team, we should have won it all.

disappointing

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Glass jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
To me, Emery made 2 mistakes, both in game 1, on the last 2 Buffalo goals.
To me, Ottawa lost that series in game one. That was a game they had *no* business in losing.

They outskated, outshot, outchanced *and* outscored Buffalo. Then Emery gave them the game on a platter, not once, but *twice*. Those mistakes shattered the team's confidence, and they never regained it afterwards(The only reason they even won one game, is that facing a clean sweep in a series tends to bring that do or die hockey out of you, even though you know the series are over).

Look at the finals. Look at the monumental gaffe that Ty Conklin had. You could tell his team was completely deflated afterwards. Yeah well, thats exactly how Ottawa looked. Had the coach put Conklin back in goal, I guarentee you there would have been no comeback in the series, and Edmonton would've fared as well as Ottawa did vs Buffalo.

IMO, Emery cost Ottawa the series in game one.
That said, I have *alot* of confidence in him in how he admitted his poor play costing his team in the playoffs. Takes alot of guts to admit that. Not only that, he's shouldered *all* the blame, and has come back stronger than ever. If this kind of attitude makes you doubt the guy, then something is wrong with you.

I really like him this year, and think he's by *far* got the best attitude out of all goaltenders Ottawa has ever had(Including Hasek). He's a realist. That only means he'll keep getting better as he continues to work on his flaws he knows he has.

Glass jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 10:49 PM
fras123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
Recipe for beating the Ottawa Senators:

-Have a decent goalie
-Collapse around him like whoa
-Capitalize on a PP, or some sort of turnover
-Win game
ohhh so you have to win the game to beat the ottawa senators, dont let this information spread around it could kill us in the playoffs.

fras123 is offline   Reply With Quote