HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

S. Kostitsyn: "I need my own puck"

Old
02-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Qui Gon Dave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Hahaha.. Sergei has taken some people out with some pretty mean hits. The kid is physical.
From what I've seen of Sergei, both the brothers can lay guys out in their respective leagues. I doubt Andrei would have too much trouble holding his own in the NHL, although I'm curious to see how Sergei handles himself in the AHL. I haven't seen him play recently (not since last years playoffs) but to those of you who have, is he looking even steadier than last year or about the same? I think with his mentality, he would be able to survive in the AHL but physically, I'm less certain.

Whitesnake, cheers for the link, I'll check those videos out soon Hopefully get a better idea of his play for myself.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:03 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
From what I've seen of Sergei, both the brothers can lay guys out in their respective leagues. I doubt Andrei would have too much trouble holding his own in the NHL, although I'm curious to see how Sergei handles himself in the AHL. I haven't seen him play recently (not since last years playoffs) but to those of you who have, is he looking even steadier than last year or about the same? I think with his mentality, he would be able to survive in the AHL but physically, I'm less certain.

Whitesnake, cheers for the link, I'll check those videos out soon Hopefully get a better idea of his play for myself.
The games I seen with Sergei were just great. This kid has an amazing wrist shot, and he has amazing patience. What I didn't notice before, was his playmaking ability.. He's making no look passes, beautiful backhand passes through traffic onto the tap. He has amazing vision and his decision making is exceptional.

The kid also knows when to make a big hit. He's fiesty too. I had the pleasure of watching him and D'Agostini in a game vs. eachother last year. D'Agostini had an assist and a fight.. and Sergei had a goal and an assist, plus 3 monstrous hits. He absolutely layed people out cleanly.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:06 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
In major-junior. Just wait till he gets his first taste of contact in the NHL...if he ever does. One more performance like the rookie tournament and it'll be over for him.

There's no longer such thing as a "good", soft player with the Habs. Either you are a good player, or you are a soft player.

You do know that he would've made the AHL had it not been for the abundance of forwards that couldn't go back to junior and that they wanted him to have a year leading the London Knights. And, a lot of people said the same thing about Grabovski but Grabovski battles through it. Kostitsyn came over to play the North American game, and he's adapting. Other players have come straight from Europe into the NHL and handled the NHL contact, but he's developing through the levels of contact. I see you are misinformed, oh well.

Old
02-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
The kid also knows when to make a big hit. He's fiesty too. I had the pleasure of watching him and D'Agostini in a game vs. eachother last year. D'Agostini had an assist and a fight.. and Sergei had a goal and an assist, plus 3 monstrous hits. He absolutely layed people out cleanly.
Didn't London play D'agostinis team in the playoffs last year? If so, I think I caught a few games of that series. I remember him having a few big rushes up the ice at speed, hopefully after a little adjustment time when he hits the AHL, he will be able to do the same again. Could be an interesting line next year with him and D'agostini together and maybe Aubin at centre (or Chipchura, maybe boost his offensive game a little if they fit well). Is Maxwell also eligible for the AHL next year?

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
I went to toronto to watch the rookie tournament. Soft, uninspired, lazy, easily knocked off the puck - IOW, more of what we already have in abundance.

I suppose I'm just wasting my time discussing this with somebody who has a Kostsitsyn avatar, eh?

Yeah I remember the reports of that tournement. He was a deception. But like his brother, I think they only play with passion when it count. I know Andrei is like that. Anyways, Sergei isn't often soft. From time to time, like most of the players. I have my doubts on Sergei, but he still a great prospect to have.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Yeah I remember the reports of that tournement. He was a deception. But like his brother, I think they only play with passion when it count. I know Andrei is like that. Anyways, Sergei isn't often soft. From time to time, like most of the players. I have my doubts on Sergei, but he still a great prospect to have.
I remember those well too.......I was one of them but do not remember writing that he was often off-balance though. Disinterested, lazy, absolutely. But I do remember saying that the last day when they finally had something interesting to do like playing a game, he shined....But the first days, he was invisible, but this was a development camp, was not even a regular camp, and he might not be at his best during those ones.....But then I prefer somebody who shows us when it counts and he's been all that and then some so far.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:17 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I remember those well too.......I was one of them but do not remember writing that he was often off-balance though. Disinterested, lazy, absolutely. But I do remember saying that the last day when they finally had something interesting to do like playing a game, he shined....But the first days, he was invisible, but this was a development camp, was not even a regular camp, and he might not be at his best during those ones.....But then I prefer somebody who shows us when it counts and he's been all that and then some so far.
He certainly wasn't disinterested in the play-offs for London last year.

Old
02-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
uhhh.......... if he can make that kind of an impact... give him his own puck, for pete's sake!
If this makes him play like this, why would you do that?

Btw. Hasnt he just reached his rookie year totals, 78 points ... in 22 less games!

This guy is going to be a real gem for Dogs next season.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
He certainly wasn't disinterested in the play-offs for London last year.
Absolutely. That's why a report should be always taken with a grain of salt. One, made by amateurs like me who just reports what he sees without knowing the whole story, then everyone has an opinion, and then knowing that a development camp, it's not a normal camp.

If you're there when it counts, you can play for me any day of the week and so far, this kid has battled a lot of obstacles and showing what he's showing, it's truly impressive. Let's see how his development goes after that but in the meantime he sure is exciting to see.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedouimet View Post
As usually, we draft the WRONG brother the first time.Happy that the organisation remind that and did not take chances and draft SK the 2nd year!

This player could turn out to be a pretty good damn player....the london team isn't that Hell of a team like they were last year, and he'S still putting up numbers!
based on what exactly, sorry but Andrei has twice the talent and a much better shot, what slowed Andrei's development by atleast a year and a half was him refusing to go play in the OHL to learn the NA game faster, because in amuch weaker league he would of owned the ice after half a season and get better after that, instead he contibued in a much softer man game without getting used of the language and taking care of his sickness. Andrei will come around eventually, he's already 5x the player he was when he started with the Bulldogs

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:43 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Absolutely. That's why a report should be always taken with a grain of salt. One, made by amateurs like me who just reports what he sees without knowing the whole story, then everyone has an opinion, and then knowing that a development camp, it's not a normal camp.

If you're there when it counts, you can play for me any day of the week and so far, this kid has battled a lot of obstacles and showing what he's showing, it's truly impressive. Let's see how his development goes after that but in the meantime he sure is exciting to see.
Exactly. He's been a pleasant surprise, and he's a 7th round pick. Even if he doesn't work out, it's not like he was a 1st round pick, he was a 7th round pick and what he's doing right now excites me.

Old
02-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
He got 2/3ds of his points playing against York University. That counted less than any of the other games. Then he demanded to play in the AHL.

I'm frustrated with the kind of player that "only plays with passion when it counts". Every game counts, especially when you're a prospect who has proven nothing and is trying to make an impression on the organization you want to play for. Our good organizational rankings are based largely on this kind of soft, inconsistent talent...ie. the following players:

A. Kostsitsyn, Grabovsky, S. Kostsitsyn

These guys look strong on their skates in the minors but wait till they get to the big leagues. The likelyhood is that all of them turn into another one of these three things; (a) Jan Bulis, (b) Alexander Perezhogin or (c) a Jozef Balej. We already have too many. We need more Chris Higgins/Saku Koivu types.

Yes we have Chippy, Lapierre and price, but these guys are defense-oriented and will never crack the top 2 lines. IMO, the offense in our system is soft and overrated.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Habitants

wow i love this kid more and more after every game!
if only AK could be more like him, should have the younger brother teach the older one a couple things lol.

i am happy he is doing well in the OHL, this means he is ready for the challenge of the ahl next season

as for soft and overated offense, what about Maxwell and White who are terring it up in CHL?

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
In major-junior. Just wait till he gets his first taste of contact in the NHL...if he ever does. One more performance like the rookie tournament and it'll be over for him.

There's no longer such thing as a "good", soft player with the Habs. Either you are a good player, or you are a soft player.

Oh no! He was bad in a rookie tournament?! He'll never excel in the all-start game!

Markov is a pretty soft player, and I'd call him "good". Gretzky was a soft player for crying out loud.

I'm all for tough players, but it's not like soft = bad.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 03:05 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
We're lookin' good...Andrei Kostitsyn is maybe not the what we'd have hoped now...but his brother is making it less worse for the organization. I'm personally a big fan of his positioning and shot...I've high hopes for him too.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Ismellofhockey

Quote:
He got 2/3ds of his points playing against York University. That counted less than any of the other games. Then he demanded to play in the AHL.

I'm frustrated with the kind of player that "only plays with passion when it counts". Every game counts, especially when you're a prospect who has proven nothing and is trying to make an impression on the organization you want to play for. Our good organizational rankings are based largely on this kind of soft, inconsistent talent...ie. the following players:

These guys look strong on their skates in the minors but wait till they get to the big leagues. The likelyhood is that all of them turn into another one of these three things; (a) Jan Bulis, (b) Alexander Perezhogin or (c) a Jozef Balej. We already have too many. We need more Chris Higgins/Saku Koivu types.

Yes we have Chippy, Lapierre and price, but these guys are defense-oriented and will never crack the top 2 lines. IMO, the offense in our system is soft and overrated.
Did you watch the games where Grabovsky was called up? Looked pretty solid to me.
The guy isn't Chipchura but not all top 6 players have to be physical. Grabovsky has tremendous speed and agility and showed he was capable of keeping up with Kovalev's on ice vision. Not bad I'd say. With a little more luck, he'd have had 2 or 3 goals if it weren't for disallowed goals and posts.

I agree that I've been underwhelmed by Perezhoguin and Kostsitsyn however there are some players that take more time to develop. Perezhoguin in particular has shown flashes of brilliance with the puck but he's also shown the ability to lay some big hits and battle hard in the corners.
Just because he's russian doesn't mean he's soft.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Kruky

I still say that Sergei Kostsitsyn will play more NHL career games then his bother.

When I saw him at the Rookie tournament two years ago in Ottawa, He really impressed me and shown more then his bro ever did.

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
Did you watch the games where Grabovsky was called up? Looked pretty solid to me.
The guy isn't Chipchura but not all top 6 players have to be physical. Grabovsky has tremendous speed and agility and showed he was capable of keeping up with Kovalev's on ice vision. Not bad I'd say. With a little more luck, he'd have had 2 or 3 goals if it weren't for disallowed goals and posts.

I agree that I've been underwhelmed by Perezhoguin and Kostsitsyn however there are some players that take more time to develop. Perezhoguin in particular has shown flashes of brilliance with the puck but he's also shown the ability to lay some big hits and battle hard in the corners.
Just because he's russian doesn't mean he's soft.

I did watch the Grabovsky games. I liked what I saw. And, actually, he really impressed me in the rookie tournament, too. He looked fast, motivated and his decision-making at high speed was tremendous. Even more impressive was that he is new to NHL-regulation ice. The question with Grabovsky is whether he will ever be able to compete physically. The last thing we need is another one-dimensional guy who can't play on the boards and can't complete his defensive assignments. We have too many players like that. We'll have to see with him. I liked what I saw, but I'm not sure he is a fit for our team.

Sergei Kostsitsyn was a different story. He is soft. I don't care what people say about his play with the Knights. Against bigger, stronger players, he is soft and will get dominated in the NHL, like he did in the rookie tournament. He is not a write off at his age, but he projected a very disinterested and arrogant attitude. Meanwhile, Latendresse and Chipchura were giving it all.

Nobody said he is Russian therefore he is soft. I think Kostsitsyn is Bellerussian anyway, isn't he? But these you will never convince me that they can work in the corners like Higgins can. Softness: That's why we are losing.

Old
02-02-2007, 04:24 PM
madbox

Hahaha. What a character.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 04:30 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I did watch the Grabovsky games. I liked what I saw. And, actually, he really impressed me in the rookie tournament, too. He looked fast, motivated and his decision-making at high speed was tremendous. Even more impressive was that he is new to NHL-regulation ice. The question with Grabovsky is whether he will ever be able to compete physically. The last thing we need is another one-dimensional guy who can't play on the boards and can't complete his defensive assignments. We have too many players like that. We'll have to see with him. I liked what I saw, but I'm not sure he is a fit for our team.

Sergei Kostsitsyn was a different story. He is soft. I don't care what people say about his play with the Knights. Against bigger, stronger players, he is soft and will get dominated in the NHL, like he did in the rookie tournament. He is not a write off at his age, but he projected a very disinterested and arrogant attitude. Meanwhile, Latendresse and Chipchura were giving it all.

Nobody said he is Russian therefore he is soft. I think Kostsitsyn is Bellerussian anyway, isn't he? But these you will never convince me that they can work in the corners like Higgins can. Softness: That's why we are losing.

How would you know that S Kostitsyn is soft and will get dominated in the nhl, based off one or so camps? It's not like he's going to play in the nhl next year or more. He'll have 3-4 years to work on his game, so I think it's tough to say how a 19 year old will progress/develop, good or bad. Personally I'm a big fan of his, because he's not soft and I don't care what you say, your opinion of him which could be bang on or out to lunch, doesn't really matter just as my opinion doesn't either. We'll see what he can do in the future, things are going very well for him so far but each step after this gets bigger and tougher, so we'll see how he responds next year when he steps into the ahl. From there we will start to get a feel for him and how he handles bigger, stronger players.

It may take some time for Kostitsyn to adapt to the physical game in the ahl, we'll see. Perhaps he's only physical in the ohl since that's where his comfort level is since that's where he plays 90% of his games.

Grabovski is not one-dimensional, he actually backchecks hard, he seems to have an understanding of the defensive zone, something A. Kostitsyn is just starting to figure out. The problem is his lack of strength but his speed and aggressive style help him out a lot. He's got work to do still but give him 2 years or so and we'll see what he can do. I have to say I've been very impressed with him for the most part. The turnovers are a problem and he's still adapting to the north south game, I've noticed he's learned that he needs to keep his head up, cause he's cut down on getting pasted into the boards so often.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 05:06 PM
antidot

Quote:
More soft talent.
less soft poster .

He 's just 19 ...

antidot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 05:46 PM
WeThreeKings

In fact, Sergei Kostitsyn is so soft.. While blocking shots on the penalty kill, 5-on-3, he rushes down the ice and scores in overtime.

Old
02-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Nilan's Fist

Quote:

Thank god Price is defense-oriented! Why would you want an offensive-oriented goalie? "Ho! Here's Price deking the puck, he shoot, and score!"

Nilan's Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Catch-22

I'll never get why some posters can get so passionate about a player who has never done anything for them.

Old
02-02-2007, 06:28 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I'll never get why some posters can get so passionate about a player who has never done anything for them.
If you talking to me, then my reply is that I am a huge fan of the team and it's prospects, I spend a great deal of time and energy watching our prospects year after year, so I try and offer as much info as I can to those that want to hear it. When I see posts I don't agree with or think that the information isn't correct, I add my opinion. The important thing is that opinions are meaningless and it's all about what they do on the ice for our team.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote