HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Time for Hollweg to take a seat...

Old
01-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Time for Hollweg to take a seat...

My favorite Ranger..I love the guy, love the way he hits and always seems to give 100% but...

The 4th line was horrendous in Boston...I was watching Hollweg closley and he wasn't doing anything except trying to cover his man and his area...And this hasn't been the first time...I'm glad he's playing with a defensive conscience but he's gotta do much more then that....Like he did last year....And maybe his pointless streak is also wearing on him a bit...Just seems like a good time to give him a game off and recharge as well as give Jason Ward another shot...Take a seat in the stands and watch his buddy Orts and come back and play like the little ball of hate he used to be....

ANd I know Hall and Krog could also be sat, but it just might be a good thing for Hollweg....

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 05:44 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

While im a big fan of Hollweg too, i agree - he needs a rest/recharge/day off or whatever you call it. - but not against Toronto at home.

Tampa is a good one, and then get him back vs. Detriot.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 07:53 PM
blandBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
My favorite Ranger..I love the guy, love the way he hits and always seems to give 100% but...

The 4th line was horrendous in Boston...I was watching Hollweg closley and he wasn't doing anything except trying to cover his man and his area...And this hasn't been the first time...I'm glad he's playing with a defensive conscience but he's gotta do much more then that....Like he did last year....And maybe his pointless streak is also wearing on him a bit...Just seems like a good time to give him a game off and recharge as well as give Jason Ward another shot...Take a seat in the stands and watch his buddy Orts and come back and play like the little ball of hate he used to be....

ANd I know Hall and Krog could also be sat, but it just might be a good thing for Hollweg....

I think your comment was very perceptive. I his jump and his speed, saw flashes of what might be in the future. I can't help it, it's players like Hollweg who let you see the real human emotional side of the game, Ortmeyer has it too, but I'd love to see Hollweg put it together. He seems like a player that might just need a change in his routine, practice, outlook. There's a mental side to the game that needs attention too.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 08:33 PM
DutchShamrock

Maybe he should sit, but I don't understand the justification in benching him for some bad games when there are others who haven't played well in more than a handful. This is the problem with Renney's inconsistent application of discipline and accountability. If he decides to sit Hollweg it is because he is young, without a point or because he wants someone like Orr to add "toughness", or at least that is the how the message is received. He won't get the idea that he is floating or his shifts don't have a purpose or he isn't eleveating his game because why isn't Malik sitting. Why hasn't Hossa sat? Why is Betts on the 2nd line?

Basically there is a long list of players that need a seat well before Hollweg does. Unless you start the list by age, youngest to oldest. Then yeah, he should sit.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:07 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Naa. Come on now. One bad game earns him a seat? No way. If anything....Hall should be sat again...and it's only a matter of time until Jason Krog becomes Jason Krog.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:11 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Naa. Come on now. One bad game earns him a seat? No way. If anything....Hall should be sat again...and it's only a matter of time until Jason Krog becomes Jason Krog.
Agreed. He just had the all star break to gather himself....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Maybe he should sit, but I don't understand the justification in benching him for some bad games when there are others who haven't played well in more than a handful. This is the problem with Renney's inconsistent application of discipline and accountability. If he decides to sit Hollweg it is because he is young, without a point or because he wants someone like Orr to add "toughness", or at least that is the how the message is received. He won't get the idea that he is floating or his shifts don't have a purpose or he isn't eleveating his game because why isn't Malik sitting. Why hasn't Hossa sat? Why is Betts on the 2nd line?

Basically there is a long list of players that need a seat well before Hollweg does. Unless you start the list by age, youngest to oldest. Then yeah, he should sit.
Man, why does everything have to be a Renney thing, and a bias agains the holy freakin youngsters?

This has nothing to do with it...I think Hollweg coud use a rest becasue it looks like he's pressing, not playing as complete as he can, and just might need a game to watch and maybe get more hungry...He ain't the same player...This is all about getting a stronger Hollweg and not who deserves to sit more....

Old
01-31-2007, 01:44 AM
SML

Maybe the coaching staff is asking him to play a more responsible game? I don't see how it's a bad thing to have a young kid try to take care of his own side of the rink, especially a guy who has no points this year. We don't have the luxury of knowing what goes on between players and coaches, when they tell them what they want their roles to be and how those roles may change. I'd say they are seriously looking at another center, and when they get that guy, one of Betts or Hollweg is going to either be moved from center or sitting out. Cullen or Nylander aren't sitting. So maybe they're giving Hollweg a run as the defensive center to see if he can handle it or if he's going to the wing. I don't think they're taking him out of the lineup, they just want him to calm down a bit and play the position. Kinda like kasparaits used to run around all over the place looking for the big hit, but became a much better dman when he picked his spots.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 01:52 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Man, why does everything have to be a Renney thing, and a bias agains the holy freakin youngsters?

This has nothing to do with it...I think Hollweg coud use a rest becasue it looks like he's pressing, not playing as complete as he can, and just might need a game to watch and maybe get more hungry...He ain't the same player...This is all about getting a stronger Hollweg and not who deserves to sit more....
I don't know what everyone expects out of the guy. I dislike him because he just hits. That is all he brings to the team on the ice and thats it. I don't see any hidden talent in his game or any signs where he has any type of skills other than hitting which leads me to believe he isn't an NHL player. On most teams Hollweg would be a healthy scratch/fill in player......last season I had hopes he could become an Ian Lapariere type player but I don't even see that anymore.

Greg Moore is a player I would much rather have take his spot. Or even Isbister for god sake.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:10 AM
Larry Melnyk

SML - I understand all that and you are probably right about some of what Hollweg is being asked to do...But I just think he's pressing and can do more...Just like last year....Keeping him at LW, where he is better, would also help...

Again, I'm not hating on Hollweg, just think a game breather might help reenrgizze or refocus him....

Old
01-31-2007, 02:13 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I
Greg Moore is a player I would much rather have take his spot. Or even Isbister for god sake.
While I agree Hollweh hasn't been as effective as last year, let's hold off on Moore. He cant even get the job done or do all that much in the AHL...He's wuite a bit away...

Old
01-31-2007, 04:24 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
. That is all he brings to the team on the ice and
Have you ever even seen Moore play a game before you declare him better than Hollweg? And Brad freaking Isbister? He sleepwalked through his entire career with every team he ever played for. I can't even believe you'd rather have a retread like Brad Isbister even wearing the unifrom.

Old
01-31-2007, 05:01 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Ryan Hollweg played his best game as a NHL player on Saturday and now he should be benched after having a bad game against the Bruins?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 07:44 AM
Taz

I can understand maybe he needs a game off to relax and help him get going, but he is literally the only person on our team who delievers nasty body checks, he has decent speed and will drop the gloves, name one other on the team that will do that with any frequency.

The answer is no1

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Ryan Hollweg played his best game as a NHL player on Saturday and now he should be benched after having a bad game against the Bruins?
You know, I'm not really benching him for one bad performance in Boston..I think the Rangers need Hollweg, and my thinking after watching him in Boston and a few other recent games (not Philly) is that he needs to refocus back to the little ball of hate he was last year...Was just thinking one game off might provide a little motivation

Old
01-31-2007, 12:06 PM
SML

How about when you're up 4-1 in the second period, you don't need Hollweg running around pounding everything in sight and waking the crowd up when they're completely out of the game and hostile toward the Bruins? I'd bet my money the coaches told him to chill out and just use the opportunity to show he can do something besides smash people.

Old
01-31-2007, 12:10 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
As long as he keeps hitting like he does he should stay in the lineup.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:26 PM
NYR1724

Best question ever. Is Larry Melynk really Tom Renney in disguise?

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:32 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:

It's a Renney thing because he fills out the lineup card. It's a Renney thing because he has failed to bench several players for the very things you are pointing out about Hollweg. And are you really trying to deny that there isn't a bias against youngsters? Try to paint me as a purely kid-happy fan if you want, but I think I've been pretty quiet of late in regards to that topic. I'm waiting to see what happens post-All-star break/post-Maloney comments. I mean come on, Hossa, Hall and Malik couldn't use a few games in the pressbox? They don't need to get hungrier. I point them out not because they are older, but the second you start picking and choosing who you discipline you lose credibility as a coach. You plant the seeds of resentment in those disciplined and complacency in those who don't.

Old
01-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
It's a Renney thing because he fills out the lineup card. It's a Renney thing because he has failed to bench several players for the very things you are pointing out about Hollweg. And are you really trying to deny that there isn't a bias against youngsters? Try to paint me as a purely kid-happy fan if you want, but I think I've been pretty quiet of late in regards to that topic. I'm waiting to see what happens post-All-star break/post-Maloney comments. I mean come on, Hossa, Hall and Malik couldn't use a few games in the pressbox? They don't need to get hungrier. I point them out not because they are older, but the second you start picking and choosing who you discipline you lose credibility as a coach. You plant the seeds of resentment in those disciplined and complacency in those who don't.
All I was doing was trying to find the best way to get the most out of Hollweg..That's it. I wasn't commenting on any overall philosphy or comparing him to other players. Sometimes you just have to narrow things down.. ANd I think Hollweg could give more..Simple as that..

And, btw, I don't think there is any bias against youngsters (except Pock).In fact, I think the Rangers have treated the youngsters just as they should have been up to this point

Old
01-31-2007, 12:49 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
All I was doing was trying to find the best way to get the most out of Hollweg..That's it. I wasn't commenting on any overall philosphy or comparing him to other players. Sometimes you just have to narrow things down.. ANd I think Hollweg could give more..Simple as that..
Well, in that regard it might be too soon to bench him. I also get the impression that Renney wants Ryan to focus on the defense first. He had some quotes a few weeks back in regards to his scoring drought. Renney simply said that as long as he brings energy and defense he will be happy. I believe he even implied that he told Ryan to worry about the D almost exclusively. So maybe what we see on the ice isn't the whole story. Also, if there is a problem maybe Tom should just tell him what's wrong and how to fix it. These are grown men, they probably can get the message that way. If the problem persists then you absolutely bench him.

Old
01-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Well, in that regard it might be too soon to bench him. I also get the impression that Renney wants Ryan to focus on the defense first. He had some quotes a few weeks back in regards to his scoring drought. Renney simply said that as long as he brings energy and defense he will be happy. I believe he even implied that he told Ryan to worry about the D almost exclusively. So maybe what we see on the ice isn't the whole story. Also, if there is a problem maybe Tom should just tell him what's wrong and how to fix it. These are grown men, they probably can get the message that way. If the problem persists then you absolutely bench him.

OK, I can realte to that..And, really, my 'benching" of Hollweg (who is by far my favoirite Ranger) was more to try and make him better not a punishment..

Old
01-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Larry Melnyk

Hmmmm...did I call it or what? .......http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Old
01-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Hmmmm...did I call it or what? .......http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/
Give it up, your Tom Renney arent you!!!!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 01:40 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Good call Larry!

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote