HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL should do SEASON SERIES!

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
NHL should do SEASON SERIES!

CREDIT for this post: CrazY_Nine on Habs board.

He came up with an idea to have the Nhl make a home and home series all season long. Make the season like it is in baseball where a team has a series. We all know what entertaining matches it can give. Carolina and Montreal faced off tonight in a 2nd of home and home series and they are teams that play the trap but it was one hell of a match. It will also create rivalries faster.

Old
12-06-2003, 04:55 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Make the season like it is in baseball where a team has a series.
Baseball is a sport which physically allows its players to play 162 games per season, therefore making it suitable to have three or four-game sets at a time with their opponents.

Hockey is simply too physically demanding to play that many games. Hell, some argue that 82 games in a regular season is too much. Also, I believe it is in the NHL-NHLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement that no NHL player is to play in 3 or more consecutive days because of those physical demands.

Old
12-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Traitor8

What are you saying???

I didn't say change the number of games.
KEEP IT 82 games
and make a 2 game series.

home and home series then you have 1-2 days off and you start off with another team.

Old
12-06-2003, 04:57 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
CREDIT for this post: CrazY_Nine on Habs board.

He came up with an idea to have the Nhl make a home and home series all season long. Make the season like it is in baseball where a team has a series. We all know what entertaining matches it can give. Carolina and Montreal faced off tonight in a 2nd of home and home series and they are teams that play the trap but it was one hell of a match. It will also create rivalries faster.
Although it is an interesting idea, I wouldnt want my team to travel after every game, leaving no time for practice. Baseball has the advantage of having a 164-game schedule, where they could have a bunch of 9-game homestands and long road trips. Asking a hockey team to do that would just be too grueling.

Old
12-06-2003, 05:01 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
home and home series then you have 1-2 days off and you start off with another team.
As somebody has already stated, there would be way too much travel involved.

The reason baseball can do this, is because the "series" takes place in the same city. Teams only travel every 3-5 days in MLB.

Old
12-06-2003, 05:06 PM
Leaf Army

How about have the teams play two games in a row in the same city?

It would cut down on travel and make for some real exciting playoff style hockey.

Old
12-06-2003, 05:13 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
It would cut down on travel and make for some real exciting playoff style hockey.
It depends on how the league would do it.

I wouldn't mind it here and there for games within your conference or division. However, it couldn't be done for games outside your conference because it would have 1-2 more games per season scheduled against those out-of-conference opponents, which would in turn take away games against your conference/division rivals.

Old
12-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
It depends on how the league would do it.

I wouldn't mind it here and there for games within your conference or division. However, it couldn't be done for games outside your conference because it would have 1-2 more games per season scheduled against those out-of-conference opponents, which would in turn take away games against your conference/division rivals.
Well I'm not an NHL schedule maker, so I haven't really thought this through but....

Why not have two game series against division/conference rivals on weekends in the same city?

Then play single games once or twice during the week.

Old
12-06-2003, 09:01 PM
MileHigh

I don't know about that. I really don't mind it every once in a while like the schedule currently has it but every weekend or so would begin to get annoying. Seeing a team just once per year would kind of suck and if a key player is injured during the series against a competitor would hurt the team.

The one thing I would like to see is more divisional games near the end of the year. When points could be easier made up when shooting for the top spot in the division.

Old
12-07-2003, 08:02 AM
SlavaKozlov

Quote:
What are you saying???

I didn't say change the number of games.
KEEP IT 82 games
and make a 2 game series.

So, a Florida/Vancouver home and home seriese is a good idea? Wouldn't that mean they would, say, play in Florida one night, then the next day play in Vancouver. That would be one hell of a trip to complete and play 2 games within about 28 hours. To tedious with travelling IMO, nothing wrong with the current schedualing (wow, I know I mispelled that very badly...)

Old
12-07-2003, 09:01 AM
Hockeyfan_86

Send a message via MSN to Hockeyfan_86
I would like to see it more. Two games in the same city makes the most sense, unless the teams are geographically close. When two teams play back-to-back games against each other the bad blood gets flowing a lot more, and the games are more emotional. Gotta love that!

Old
12-15-2003, 11:56 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
I liek the idea of of only playing 65% of the league soem rivalries alot others not so much!

I bet everyteam wants to play tamp fla la in the winter though

Old
12-16-2003, 05:49 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footer
The one thing I would like to see is more divisional games near the end of the year. When points could be easier made up when shooting for the top spot in the division.
Hear, hear. This is my only major request of league scheduling change. Make every team's last 8 games of the season be against in-division opponents. Ideally, have every team finish all of its crossconference games by game 60, and have the last 22 games be entirely in-conference (with the last 8 in-division).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavaKozlov
So, a Florida/Vancouver home and home seriese is a good idea? Wouldn't that mean they would, say, play in Florida one night, then the next day play in Vancouver. That would be one hell of a trip to complete and play 2 games within about 28 hours. To tedious with travelling IMO, nothing wrong with the current schedualing (wow, I know I mispelled that very badly...)
There's no requirement that a home-and-home be on consecutive nights.

Old
12-16-2003, 07:50 AM
Stephen

I was talking to a friend of mine at work, and we came up with the idea that the league could schedule team meetings in blocks. I.e. the Leafs play all of their games against the Senators in a stretch of 5 or 6 games and then move on to do the same with each of the teams in the league.

We got this idea from the fact that the Rangers/Leafs games seemed to get more intense. This would sort of cut down on travel, and would foster some serious playoff style animosity in all of the games.

Old
12-16-2003, 07:56 AM
Frenzy1

I love the home and home idea. But I would do it a different way. The only back to back games should be home and home game. And those home and home games should only be against Division rivals.

Other then that, I would like to see more standardization: I hate that the Blues have 6 games in hand against Detroit. I would rather see games played Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays w/ the exception being back to back games as stated above.

This would foster some serious animosity between divisional rivals.

Closed Thread